Apple recalls 1.8M iBook and PowerBook G4 batteries

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPlatt886

I typed in my serial number and my computer clears, but my battery does not and it is within the range (it is a 12" PB G4). What is up, is the site not working just yet.

Ditto. iBook 12", battery serial number 6C542.

Apparently the online verification for battery serial numbers is FUBAR.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    weren't we laughing at this when it happened to dell a little while ago?
  • Reply 43 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister

Why is nobody commenting that this is yet another battery recall by Apple. Sure they use Sony batts, but the headline on CNN reads Apple recalls ....

How many batt recalls are they going to face? My PB had its batt recalled once, now again I qualify..for the replacement batt, and the same machine had two replacement power bricks. Why can they not get this right?

The headline on CNN was also: Dell recalls batteries.

Even Steven.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

That's why I kept telling everyone that it wasn't Dell's fault.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Not if you acctually read the f***ing artical, seeing that the batteries were from the same vendor who makes Apples batteries...
  • Reply 46 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Chucker thanks for calling me a retard.

Can't recall doing so.

Quote:

I am like a calibration expert by now. I probably know more about it than you. Apple's batteries Suck?.

Oh yeah? How does such a sweeping statement work, seeing as there's so many different models, from several different manufacturers, and even different types. LG Chem, Sony, SII Micro Parts, others. So their batteries all "Suck?"? And Li-Io and Li-Io-Poly suck the same way? And there's great alternatives despite, oh, all competitors pretty much using the same manufacturers and types?
  • Reply 47 of 63
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker

Ditto. iBook 12", battery serial number 6C542.

Apparently the online verification for battery serial numbers is FUBAR.

Yeah... I'm actually having the same problem with my 15 inch powerbook battery... it falls within the range of affected serial numbers, but it keeps being rejected by the online form. I'm going to call Apple in about half an hour when the line is open.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    I wonder what kind of warranty Sony gives Apple on batteries?
  • Reply 49 of 63
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

That's because Dells computers EXPLODED!!!
  • Reply 50 of 63
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent

I wonder what kind of warranty Sony gives Apple on batteries?

What do you mean? Apple isn't paying for this - Sony is, and it will cost them between $172 million and $258 million.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

That's because Dells computers EXPLODED!!!

It was only 2 or 3 out of the 4.4 million they recalled.

Apparently, the Apple ones exploded too:

(click to go to the article)

Not if you acctually read the f***ing artical, seeing that the batteries were from the same vendor who makes Apples batteries...

Read the article? Who does that?
  • Reply 52 of 63
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Read the article? Who does that?

People who wish not to have their ignorance exposed for all to see.

Failure to read the article per se isn't the problem; it's posting opinions on issues in the article, without reading the article, that is the problem.

But that only makes it obvious that the poster is clueless, and if that is how the poster wishes to be perceived, then let them have at it.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPlatt886

I typed in my serial number and my computer clears, but my battery does not and it is within the range (it is a 12" PB G4 w/ battery serial number 3K5203). What is up, is the site not working just yet.

I came up with the same thing on my PBG 15". Computer is valid for this offer but the battery was not valid. They say if the first 5 of the serial # is with in the range... Well, mine starts with 3k4391 and it does fall with in the range. Asking a rep at the Genius Bar at the local Apple store about this. Let me know what or if you find out anything...

Scott
  • Reply 54 of 63
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

Yeah... I'm actually having the same problem with my 15 inch powerbook battery... it falls within the range of affected serial numbers, but it keeps being rejected by the online form. I'm going to call Apple in about half an hour when the line is open.

See reply #54. Let me know if you know anything??? I'd appreciate it.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic

Ugh. My 12" PBG4 batt. is ZZ427...just below the beginning of the recall at ZZ428. I may call and see how lenient they are. This is my fucking third dead battery from them. It's been dead for months. Like a few months after I bought this thing the battery died, then I got a new one, and it died after a few months, then again with a THIRD one. Apple has shitty batteries.

I tend to agree, my 12" PBG4 rev a 867MHz has not been kind to batteries. First one worked well for two years of light use and then started crapping out - computer would sleep without warning. Always did the calibration as directed. Bought another battery from Apple and now at 16 months it is behaving the same way - even worse actually. I was very close to buying a NewerTech higher capacity battery from OWC, but now I don't have to. The new crappier battery I bought is in the recall! I went to the Apple site and everything worked - I'm in. I have been told that some of the 12" Powerbooks have defective Power Management Systems that doink batteries. Not that Apple acknowledges that.

BTW did you know that Apple just sends you a new battery and you return the bad one in their mailer? Dell? You have to send them your old battery and then they send you a new one. Interesting. With Apple I could keep using my exploding battery until the new one arrived if I wanted - with Dell I got no battery at all.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog

I tend to agree, my 12" PBG4 rev a 867MHz has not been kind to batteries. First one worked well for two years of light use and then started crapping out - computer would sleep without warning. Always did the calibration as directed. Bought another battery from Apple and now at 16 months it is behaving the same way - even worse actually. I was very close to buying a NewerTech higher capacity battery from OWC, but now I don't have to. The new crappier battery I bought is in the recall! I went to the Apple site and everything worked - I'm in. I have been told that some of the 12" Powerbooks have defective Power Management Systems that doink batteries. Not that Apple acknowledges that.

BTW did you know that Apple just sends you a new battery and you return the bad one in their mailer? Dell? You have to send them your old battery and then they send you a new one. Interesting. With Apple I could keep using my exploding battery until the new one arrived if I wanted - with Dell I got no battery at all.

I have the same model PB and had the same battery problem. I think the issue is with the type of battery not having very many usable cycles. Anyway, I bought the NewerTech battery in March and have been very happy with it. It gets about an hour more than the OEM battery.

Of course the real question is how long it will last.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Quote:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for ordering a replacement battery. Your request is currently being processed.

It will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks for your replacement battery to arrive. Please note that shipping time may vary due to availability of your battery model.

Battery Exchange Program details and an FAQ may be found at:

http://support.apple.com/batteryprogram

We appreciate your cooperation with this exchange program.

Apple

4 to 6 weeks
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

4 to 6 weeks

This is expected though, isn't it?

You don't really expect Apple (or Sony) to have 1.8 million extra batteries lying around. Particularly after the Dell recall of over 4.1 million.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    For those of you with the computer serial number lining up but the battery serial number not I have an answer for you. I talked with Apple on the phone and they said that some of the batteries were made by Sony and some were not. Only the Sony ones are being recalled. At first a lot of the batteries were made by LG and then they realized they could get batteries that doubled as hot plates and decided to switch to Sony.

So in short.... even if your computer serial number is accepted it may not warrant a battery replacement.

Hope this helps,

Macaddict16
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

This is expected though, isn't it?

You don't really expect Apple (or Sony) to have 1.8 million extra batteries lying around. Particularly after the Dell recall of over 4.1 million.

Ya, but I really want my battery now I've been wanting to buy a new one and in the apple store the shipping time is 2-4 weeks, so silly me I just assumed it would be the same