Intel's Merom to power Apple's next-gen iMacs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito

I will continue to have an open mind about the Mac, and recommend it to people for whom I feel it is a better platform, but after a year of careful consideration I just don't feel it's the best platform for me.

Thanks for your support.
  • Reply 102 of 237
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

The iMac G5 when introduced also didn't have wifi, bluetooth, webcam. It had half the ram, a small HD, a 1.6Ghz G5. Maybe there's some room to wiggle but not $300.

The costs for all those components generally went down since then too. Cameras of the same quality are available on the cheapest phones, so I'd hardly call that an expense. Besides, $999 would be a realistic general public price of the education iMac, so to add to that the savings by not including separate graphics and video memory.
  • Reply 103 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Thanks for your support.

You want support?

I got some support for ya!

<Flings an old Jock Strap at SpamSandwich!>
  • Reply 104 of 237
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Fuck the 23 inch iMac, give me a decent tower for $1200-1500, what about that is so fucking hard?
  • Reply 105 of 237
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

Fuck the 23 inch iMac, give me a decent tower for $1200-1500, what about that is so fucking hard?

Rather than flooding every single completely unrelated thread with "where's my omgWtfHeadlessMac?" posts, accept that Apple doesn't want you as a customer and move on.
  • Reply 106 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Rather than flooding every single completely unrelated thread with "where's my omgWtfHeadlessMac?" posts, accept that Apple doesn't want you as a customer and move on.

Wow, what a strange responce: Apple doesnt want customers who want common sence solutions? A 23 inch display is not a cheap, disposable item, nor is a semi-high end computer: The 17 inch iMac is cool, as is the 20, but there comes a certin point where it becomes sort of foolish; all I want is non-integrated video, desktop HDDs and a little more I/O in a formfactor that will alow me to use a seperate display, many folks already have lots of displays, not to mention, LCDs go bad, I do not want to lose my whole computer because the display dies, I want to grab the backup and get back to work.
  • Reply 107 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

why? its hidious!! needs to be more like the cinema displays, smooth and sleek.

you think the iMac is hideous??? Is there something better than an iMac. Sony doesn't even come close to the aesthetic prowess of Apple industrial design. (Actually I am always bemused when Apple nuts get excited about Sony industrial design - its clunky and overlayed with stylistic devices to make it look good)

Apple industrial design, from the box it comes in to the power brick to the core product itself is almost unique, in its total design approach (Then add on software, web site, customer service, advertising). I cannot think of another product that comes close (Lego is probably a product that, I think, came close to the idea of total design, but lost some of its way when it started theming some of its product (Harry Potter et al).

The chin is actually a very useful device -it has a functional purpose. It allows the screen to be located higher. The iMac needs a way to lower its centre of gravity to make it more stable (Can't you remember the time you first saw an iMac and thought, '...but wont it fall over when knocked?'), and the chin is a place to put stuff.

I also think it is important that they retain significant bezel around the screen to better frame the image n the screen.

I think the use of the word 'hideous' is a tad superlative in the context of PC's in general.
  • Reply 108 of 237
    Quote:

Wow, what a strange responce: Apple doesnt want customers who want common sence solutions?

Unfortunately, Apple is a business that tries to be different almost to the extent of being solely for the sake of being different, and often times, style over substance.

Quote:

A 23 inch display is not a cheap, disposable item, nor is a semi-high end computer: The 17 inch iMac is cool, as is the 20, but there comes a certin point where it becomes sort of foolish;

When the 20" iMac was first introduced, it was when their 20" Cinema display was more expensive than what the 23" display currently costs.
  • Reply 109 of 237
    Quote:

Wow, what a strange responce: Apple doesnt want customers who want common sence solutions? A 23 inch display is not a cheap, disposable item, nor is a semi-high end computer: The 17 inch iMac is cool, as is the 20, but there comes a certin point where it becomes sort of foolish; all I want is non-integrated video, desktop HDDs and a little more I/O in a formfactor that will alow me to use a seperate display, many folks already have lots of displays, not to mention, LCDs go bad, I do not want to lose my whole computer because the display dies, I want to grab the backup and get back to work.

So plug a monitor in to your iMac. Next.
  • Reply 110 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

So plug a monitor in to your iMac. Next.

Weren't you the one that wouldn't even hook up a Cinema Display?

How do you change the primary monitor if the computer doesn't know the main display is dead? All your system preferences are going to be on the dead display.
  • Reply 111 of 237
    After having a 30" screen with no "chin," I have to say it is the most functional and time-saving thing I have ever owned.

You can do almost anything to my processor. Just don't take away my screen.

My next Mac will have two of them!

You are right, though. I can't stand using the 20" IMac. I have been spoiled by room to "breathe" when I am working.
  • Reply 112 of 237
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Wow, what a strange responce: Apple doesnt want customers who want common sence solutions?

For fuck's sake, can we have one single iMac thread that doesn't get derailed into headless bullshit?
  • Reply 113 of 237
    [QUOTE=JeffDM]Unfortunately, Apple is a business that tries to be different almost to the extent of being solely for the sake of being different, and often times, style over substance.

I think you are somewhat right here, except that I would say that Apple sees aethetics as an important aspect of the product where as the general PC market (well, pretty much all of it) doesn't.

Why shouldn't products be beutiful.

In any case I use my mac for business (as well as pleasure). And it has pleanty of substance.

It works.

It has no worms, spyware viruses

It is well build (my current soon to be retired desktop is 6 years old and still works well)

I don't think you can argue that Apple is about style over substance. Just look at the whole iPod model - why is it successful? Because it all works well together - iTMS - iPod - iTunes
  • Reply 114 of 237
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Chucker -

lmao - not quite how I'd put it, but very valid.
  • Reply 115 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip

I don't think you can argue that Apple is about style over substance. Just look at the whole iPod model - why is it successful? Because it all works well together - iTMS - iPod - iTunes

It doesn't offer built-in audio recording or radio tuning. But that's more about profit motive, because they want to charge fees to third parties to get more money for add-ons that enable what's already built-in, at least audio recording is built in, I don't know if 5G and nano have a radio tuner chip.

Another example is the Mighty Mouse. They didn't want to add real buttons so they make it use touchy proximity sensors and to make it worse, the ball jams up.
  • Reply 116 of 237
    Quote:

For fuck's sake, can we have one single iMac thread that doesn't get derailed into headless bullshit?

Well played.
  • Reply 117 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Weren't you the one that wouldn't even hook up a Cinema Display?

Only because they aren't white and don't have chins.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

How do you change the primary monitor if the computer doesn't know the main display is dead? All your system preferences are going to be on the dead display.

Last time I plugged a projector in, it just mirrored the existing display.
  • Reply 118 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

You want support?

I got some support for ya!

<Flings an old Jock Strap at SpamSandwich!>

<quickly ducks flung jock strap, which bounces off the wall and wraps around Celeron's head like a pirate's eyepatch>
  • Reply 119 of 237
    Quote:

Hmmmm...call me crazy, but maybe all the iMac threads get "derailed" because it is a thought shared by many...But you said earlier, I am not enlightened enough to be an Apple customer, so I guess I am too dumb to understand the finer points of the iMac...

Maybe since I am such a big ophish dope, I should just change my sig to "Dee-Dee-Dee"
  • Reply 120 of 237
    Quote:

Hmmmm...call me crazy, but maybe all the iMac threads get "derailed" because it is a thought shared by many...

Yeah, and they just won't let it lie. Now bugger off back to the headless Mac thread, this is the iMac thread.