Intel's Merom to power Apple's next-gen iMacs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer in September plans to unveil a new line of iMac computers with faster processors and a little surprise to boot, AppleInsider has learned.

It will be the third time the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has introduced upgrades to its flagship, all-in-one consumer desktop line in less than twelve months.

Apple selects Merom

People familiar with the Mac maker's plans say it will sidestep Intel Corp's Core 2 Duo desktop processors, formerly code-named Conroe, in favor of adopting the mobile variant of chips, previously known as Merom, throughout the entire line. The company will also add a new member to the iMac family, a stunning 23-inch model, those same people say.

Apple's decision to forgo the use of Conroe in both its iMac and Mac Pro desktops suggests the chips are unlikely to find their way into the company's Mac computer line this year. It also explains why the Mac maker has yet to introduce new iMac models despite widespread availability of Conroe for several weeks. By contrast, Intel has only begun to ship Merom in production quantities within the last few days.

Conroe, the unpopular kid in class

While many Apple followers had initially projected Conroe to find a seat in the recently introduced Mac Pro high-end desktops, AppleInsider was first to report this past July that the company had selected Intel's higher-performance Xeon server processors instead.

Speculation immediately turned towards Conroe making an appearance in the iMac line, but insiders say Merom's lower power requirements and reduced heat dissipation are better suited for the iMac's sleek and ultra-compact industrial design.

Up to 40 percent speed increases

Still, preliminary tests indicate that Merom will offer up to a 40 percent speed increase over the Yonah chip it replaces -- the same chips found in the existing line of iMacs. Merom is available in speeds of 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz.

Third time's a charm

For Apple, September will mark the third time it has updated the iMac line in less than a year. Last October, it debut the iMac G5 with built-in iSight. Almost immediately, it followed up with the iMac Core Duo in January -- the first Mac to make the transition to Intel processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 237
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    wow

23" iMac
  • Reply 2 of 237
    Mid range mac product rumors to start in 5...4...3...
  • Reply 3 of 237
    The 23" news makes me happy. I would assume the highest end Merom chip would hit that unit. Now the big question is when... Tuesday? September 12th?
  • Reply 4 of 237
    Very good news. I use a 23" display at the office (hooked up to a 1.5 PB) and the 23" does spoil you - there is even a tendency to turn your nose up at the 20" iMac!

The Merom for the iMac isn't really a surprise as the space behind the monitor is closer to a notebook that a desktop. What would be very nice is if Apple moved to a design closer to their displays - basically getting rid of the chins. It may mean an external power brick, but my 23" display just seem to "float" on the desk - a nicer experience (for me) than our 20" iMac at home. It also allows the display to be lower on the desk, which is nice for small kids and old folks with bi-focals.
  • Reply 5 of 237
    Merom's fine. It's more expensive but the cooling requirements will be lower. Looking forward to seeing a 23" iMac. That should be a svelte machine.

I'd also love to see 4 dimm sockets for these new iMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 237
    So yes, are they going to completely bypass Conroe or use it in a smaller tower Mac, I wonder.
  • Reply 7 of 237
    I just hope they fix the 17 inch model while they're at it. It's been using the same display since the G4 17 inch iMac.. and I'm telling you, its viewing angle isn't near as good as on the other displays.

Other than that Merom seems good. Good stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 237
    when's the paris expo?
  • Reply 9 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Merom's fine. It's more expensive but the cooling requirements will be lower. Looking forward to seeing a 23" iMac.

Good point on the more expensive front. Any ideas on how much a 23" with an assumed 2.33 Merom chip will run? Think apple will be able to stay at the current $1699 price point or jump to the $1999?
  • Reply 10 of 237
    May they will make a black one and charge extra for it like the macbooks
  • Reply 11 of 237
    "Up to 40 percent speed increases"

Where did they get this? From reviews at Anand, more on the order of 5-10%, 20% best case scenario. It's a shame really IMO as Conroe is Intel's best chip as far as bang for the buck.
  • Reply 12 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Where did they get this? From reviews at Anand, more on the order of 5-10%, 20% best case scenario. It's a shame really IMO as Conroe is Intel's best chip as far as bang for the buck.

++ It's a shame to see them skipping on the Conroe - we have to pay a price premium for lower clocked chips because they can't fit them in the thermal envelope of the iMac. I really hope we see Conroe somewhere in the lineup at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 13 of 237
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Yawn. Wow, now people are going to have 23" displays to throw away when the computer in them becomes outdated. What a waste. Still wating for news on an updated Mac mini.
  • Reply 14 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus

What would be very nice is if Apple moved to a design closer to their displays - basically getting rid of the chins.

Haha, the chins! Great name for the bit below the screen on iMacs. This is my least favorite aspect of their design. I would sacrifice thinness to get rid of the chin on the new 23".
  • Reply 15 of 237
    Mmm, a HD iMac...

..how much will it cost?
  • Reply 16 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Read somewhere that the top end woodcrest is cheeper than it's conroe counterpart. Lower end woodcrest models are more though.
  • Reply 17 of 237
    I'm not surprised. Merom allows for a machine that is elegant and quiet yet still powerful Apple values those over speed gains conroe would offer.
  • Reply 18 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Pie Man

++ It's a shame to see them skipping on the Conroe - we have to pay a price premium for lower clocked chips because they can't fit them in the thermal envelope of the iMac. I really hope we see Conroe somewhere in the lineup at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later.

It's the price you pay for a quiet all in one computer.
  • Reply 19 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn

Read somewhere that the top end woodcrest is cheeper than it's conroe counterpart. Lower end woodcrest models are more though.

Yeah the 2.9 ghz core 2 extreme is 1k ($999 to be exact) but the 2.4 ghz is like $350 and 2.3 ghz Merom is over $600.
  • Reply 20 of 237
    Merom isn't 64-bit right?