Intel's Merom to power Apple's next-gen iMacs

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

We try to keep out of their way as much as possible. We'll go in to wherever they are every so often to ask if they need anything, but that's about all.

As a teenager, I can say that I wish my parents were like that when I had friends over...
  • Reply 222 of 237
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

You may be right (though I now somewhat doubt it will be Conroe, Merom is pretty likely), but I don't think updates will be held back for that reason. I think that's silly reasoning. That's the nature of technology, no tech company I am aware of holds back their updates because it would upset current owners. Time goes on and technology marches on, we have to deal with it. By your reasoning, the iSight G5 and late 2005 Powerbook owners should have been in a big uproar when they were replaced only three months later with iMac Core Duo, having only been available for three months. The iMac Core Duo has been out for about eight months already. The iMac is overdue for an update, the average time between iMac updates is six about months. I do agree that Apple will update when they are ready, from a supply and marketing standpoint. I just don't think that fearing anger from current owners factor into it.

Different products. If they wanted an iMac why buy the PowerBook? Needless to say Apple isn't any other technology group, and historically they don't put things out just because we want them out now.

Sure you may think my hypothetical reasoning was silly, but Apple has some reason they do what they do. What it is only Apple knows.
  • Reply 223 of 237
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

Different products. If they wanted an iMac why buy the PowerBook?

What? You don't understand what I wrote, though I did make a mistake by not closing it with MacBook Pro replacement. iSight G5 was introduced in Oct 2005 and it was replaced by iMac Core Duo only three months later. Late 2005 Powerbook 15" was introduced Oct 2005 but was replaced by the MacBook Pro 15" only four months later. By the reasoning you put forth, those announcements should have been delayed by several more months to avoid offending the people that bought the previous version of same product.
  • Reply 224 of 237
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

We can't assume anything until it's here. Quartz Extreme was supposed to be turned on in 10.4, but it wasn't. We knew that too.

Once again, too much partying at your place and too much confusion

You mean Quartz 2D Extreme / Quartz GL. Quartz Extreme has been active sine 10.2.
  • Reply 225 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

What? You don't understand what I wrote, though I did make a mistake by not closing it with MacBook Pro replacement. iSight G5 was introduced in Oct 2005 and it was replaced by iMac Core Duo only three months later. Late 2005 Powerbook 15" was introduced Oct 2005 but was replaced by the MacBook Pro 15" only four months later. By the reasoning you put forth, those announcements should have been delayed by several more months to avoid offending the people that bought the previous version of same product.

I would have to agree with Onlooker, only Apple knows why they do some things. A good example is the G4 speeds used by Apple before the Intel transition. There were faster chips available to Apple than what they were using, the upgrade market had them, Apple didn't use them. They may not have been able to get the fastest one into a powerbook (due to heat?) or they may not have wanted a mini that was too close in (clock) speed to the iMac to confuse the consumer with the Mhz myth or the component cost of the chips would have been too much to fit into the price point of the computers or they would have had to sign on for a longer contract to get ahold of the newer chips. I don't know the reasons, but they did limit speed growth in at least a few of their bottom end systems before dropping the G4 compleatly. This probably was part of the reason that desktop systems didn't "grow" as well for Apple as laptop systems did durring that time.
  • Reply 226 of 237
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    The best way to address the issue of the iMac's computer going obsolete before the monitor is to do what Sun did with their all in one thin client machine:

http://www.sun.com/sunray/sunray270/features.xml

The Sun Ray 270 has a video input connector which allows it to be used as a display for a different computer. And this is true connectivity, not virtual desktop. Only the blindest Apple ass kissers would argue against having this type of connectivity.

You could even use the iMac and a second computer at the same time. This could provide some interesting advertising opportunities. And there should also be a way to use the external video input without having to boot up the iMac.
  • Reply 227 of 237
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Once again, too much partying at your place and too much confusion

You mean Quartz 2D Extreme / Quartz GL. Quartz Extreme has been active sine 10.2.

I kind of thought that by now, everyone knows what it means. I guess I'll have to make sure I spell every detail out, so that no one has to think too hard.
  • Reply 228 of 237
    yea a 23" imac would be great, hopefully it would include 4 slots for RAM instead of 2. Those imacs can run even better if there was the option to install more than 2 GB. For me 2gigs is like the minimum amount of RAM need for an Apple unit.

Hey, do any of you know if it will be possible to upgrade the present 20" imac with the new merom processors?
  • Reply 229 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bhagiratha

yea a 23" imac would be great, hopefully it would include 4 slots for RAM instead of 2. Those imacs can run even better if there was the option to install more than 2 GB. For me 2gigs is like the minimum amount of RAM need for an Apple unit.

Hey, do any of you know if it will be possible to upgrade the present 20" imac with the new merom processors?

For the current Meroms, yes. Not for the new ones coming out next year. They will require new chipsets and socket.
  • Reply 230 of 237
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

I kind of thought that by now, everyone knows what it means. I guess I'll have to make sure I spell every detail out, so that no one has to think too hard.

You wrote "Quartz Extreme". "Quartz Extreme" and "Quartz 2D Extreme" (now called "Quartz GL"), while similar by name, are not the same technology. They both speed up Quartz, but in different ways.

So, I think my pedantry was warranted. Not being precise in these contexts only leads to confusion especially for newbies.
  • Reply 231 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You wrote "Quartz Extreme". "Quartz Extreme" and "Quartz 2D Extreme" (now called "Quartz GL"), while similar by name, are not the same technology. They both speed up Quartz, but in different ways.

So, I think my pedantry was warranted. Not being precise in these contexts only leads to confusion especially for newbies.

Touché!
  • Reply 232 of 237
    Quote:

For the current Meroms, yes. Not for the new ones coming out next year. They will require new chipsets and socket.

Are they different aside from chipset, socket, and FSB?
  • Reply 233 of 237
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Are they different aside from chipset, socket, and FSB?

Faster.
  • Reply 234 of 237
    Is that a result of a designed chip, or a faster FSB? I mean, if you keep the same multipliers and chip and go from a 667 MHz FSB to a 800 MHz FSB, you see a roughly 20% speed bump without chip changes.
  • Reply 235 of 237
    Quote:

Is that a result of a designed chip, or a faster FSB? I mean, if you keep the same multipliers and chip and go from a 667 MHz FSB to a 800 MHz FSB, you see a roughly 20% speed bump without chip changes.

I think it's the faster bus that does most of it, and I think the new chipset offers other performance features.

I think the move to change sockets is to do away with protruding pins on the chip package so that it's easier to design higher clocking boards.
  • Reply 236 of 237
    Quote:

Well, as always, it's a number of things.

Going to a 20% faster FSB doesn't give a linear boost. The contribution is much less. So, there may be a 5% boost due to the FSB. It only comes into effect when memory accesses outside of the caches are needed. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. On chip processing isn't affected by the FSB.

The chips are running at a faster frequency, and there is a redesign (a minor one). The chipset contributes as well.
  • Reply 237 of 237
    I don't see any posts about it yet, but Apple has updated the iMac line to Core 2 Duo. Apparently Merom from the clock speeds.

Also, the EDU iMac is available to the public at $999. The previous 17" model is now $1199, previous 20" model is $1499. There is now a 24" iMac at $1999. I suppose they went with the seemingly more common 24" panel size. They are now offering a 3GB memory size, which is from 1x 2GB stick and 1x 1GB stick for the non Edu versions. Last I checked, 2GB SODIMMS were a lot more expensive than that, so maybe Apple got a good deal.