Apple issues new build of Leopard Preview

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Thursday evening offered developers testing its next-generation Leopard operating system the first update to the software since it was released privately last month.

Leopard build 9A241e

"This Software Update delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X Leopard Developer Preview and is recommended for all users," Apple said of the update, distributed over Leopard's Mac OS X Software Update mechanism.

The 46.4 MB patch, labeled "Leopard Preview Update version 1.0," updates Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard from build 9A241 to build 9A241e\t.

Minor fixes delivered to Leopard Apps

Apple did not accompany the release with any documentation, nor did it specify which areas of Leopard the update targets. However, an inspection of the installer log reveals changes to applications such as AddressBook, Dashboard, Expose, Mail, Spaces, Spotlight and Time Machine.

The installer also modifies Leopard's Mac OS X Dock, AddressBook synching, Firmware Password Utility and widget installer.

Slight stability increases

Tipsters testing the latest build say they have not noticed any major changes. However, they say some stability issues appear to have been addressed, as certain issues persist less often than before.

Parallels Desktop and Leopard

One report received by AppleInsider also notes that build 1848 of Parallels Desktop emulation environment functions smoothly under Leopard, but the more recent build (1862) produces some color distortions with interface buttons and windows.

Leopard aids MacBook cooling

According to the same report, Leopard's energy saver and power management routines are far superior to those included with the latest shipping version of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, particularly with cooling fan behavior.

"Fan behavior on my MacBook Pro with the Leopard preview is excellent," the tipster said. "[It's] immensely better than with Tiger but that was true even before I installed the Leopard Preview update."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 156
    wikey woo
  • Reply 2 of 156
    I'm feeling very good about the cooling issue. Hate to go off topic much, but I love that Apple can upgrade an operating system & actually make your computer run better, instead of upgrading the OS and saying "Go buy a new machine, yours sucks anyway."
  • Reply 3 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarland

"Go buy a new machine, yours sucks anyway."

sounds like something microsoft would do

stupid vista..... home basic, premuim, ultra, super good, wot ever, its all crap on a disk to me
  • Reply 4 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarland

I'm feeling very good about the cooling issue. Hate to go off topic much, but I love that Apple can upgrade an operating system & actually make your computer run better, instead of upgrading the OS and saying "Go buy a new machine, yours sucks anyway."

As a recent switcher, I must say that this is a refreshing approach to Operating system releases (i.e. make the subsequent release faster and more stable than the previous one).
  • Reply 5 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

As a recent switcher, I must say that this is a refreshing approach to Operating system releases (i.e. make the subsequent release faster and more stable than the previous one).

Although I admire your switchitude, Mac OS updates don't always do what they promise they'll do...
  • Reply 6 of 156
    Yeah but one or two more updates and it solves your original problem. You'll be taken care of. sometimes it just takes a couple of months...
  • Reply 7 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa

Yeah but one or two more updates and it solves your original problem. You'll be taken care of. sometimes it just takes a couple of months...

As opposed to five or six years on the other side. I'm glad crossed over.
  • Reply 8 of 156
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous

As opposed to five or six years on the other side. I'm glad crossed over.

I have my iMac dual booting Tiger and Vista pre-RC1 and I have to say, in all objectivity, that Apple is now playing catch-up. At WWDC, Bertrand Serlet poked fun at MS rather extensively, but now, only a few weeks later, they are at RC1 and Apple (with this Leopard update) are no where near even first beta. It's a two horse race again, and Apple needs to stop poking fun and start racing.
  • Reply 9 of 156
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

I have my iMac dual booting Tiger and Vista pre-RC1 and I have to say, in all objectivity, that Apple is now playing catch-up. At WWDC, Bertrand Serlet poked fun at MS rather extensively, but now, only a few weeks later, they are at RC1 and Apple (with this Leopard update) are no where near even first beta. It's a two horse race again, and Apple needs to stop poking fun and start racing.

Catchup... apple is racing with an already modern operating system and adding functionality to it in incremantal upgrades. Windows vista is the construction sate 10.0 was when it was relaesed, it worked but had a long way to go to be anywhere near a solid platform.

Don't forget that day Vista is relesed it has the 2year (thats 4/5 in windows yeaars) service pack update route to get it anywhere near the sort of useability and stability state 10.2/10.3 gave osx.

j.
  • Reply 10 of 156
    At this point, Vista is simply Windows XP SP3, now with Aero™. And this is it for the next 4 years?

Leopard is really moving into 3d computing, with Spaces, Time Machine, Dashboard, and Expose. And those are just the names.
  • Reply 11 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

Yes, welcome to Mac. As SpamSandwich says, some caveats, but in general 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 actually makes your Mac more stable and run smoother over time. OMFG And, updates within the dot eg. 10.4.0 to 10.4.5 actually makes things smoother and more stable. Enjoy your Mac
  • Reply 12 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

What are you smoking? Apple is catching up, yes, it is catching up to the vision that Steve Jobs has laid out. Microsoft is nowhere near. Apple doesn't need to "race", it just needs a nice steady, healthy gallop. It has a wide timeline for Leopard - either to ship to Apple's own timetable or ship in time for Vista release. Leopard RC1 I can surmise is way more stable and functional than the bloated overblown ultra mess that is Vista. Remember that Apple is actually *able* to add features to the release, rather than MS, which has been stripping features out of Vista because of the shipping date slipping out to the horizon. Why are you even running Vista? For fun and to check it out, that's cool, but obviously you don't need anything critical on Windows to run? Get rid of Vista, put back WinXP2pro and play some Half Life 2 - Episode 1 or something...
  • Reply 13 of 156
    Quote:

"Fan behavior on my MacBook Pro with the Leopard preview is excellent," the tipster said. "[It's] immensely better than with Tiger but that was true even before I installed the Leopard preview update."

Why would this not be included with Tiger now? Sounds ridiculous, No? Pay $149 to get better cooling and battery performance.. Mad..
  • Reply 14 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Why would this not be included with Tiger now? Sounds ridiculous, No? Pay $149 to get better cooling and battery performance.. Mad..

There have been incremental updates for Tiger 10.4.x Intel (2 IIRC) that improve heat and fan behaviour. I wonder what is in Leopard though that improves it further... Hmm...
  • Reply 15 of 156
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I think there is some confusion about this. The Leopard Preview Update pretty much brings the Leopard Developer Preview in sync with 10.4.7. For example, it adds 10.4.7's "two-finger right-click" feature, and its WWAN driver and menu extra.
  • Reply 16 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I think there is some confusion about this. The Leopard Preview Update pretty much brings the Leopard Developer Preview in sync with 10.4.7. For example, it adds 10.4.7's "two-finger right-click" feature, and its WWAN driver and menu extra.

Indeed. A major piece of confusion is that the OS doesn't even control the fans, the PMU does, independently of the OS.

Of course, if the OS has better power management and uses less CPU power to do the same jobs, then the fans will have to come on less often.
  • Reply 17 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

A major piece of confusion is that the OS doesn't even control the fans, the PMU does, independently of the OS.

That's not entirely true, as you can easily see by inserting the Hardware Test DVD.

Also, you mean the SMBus, not the PMU.
  • Reply 18 of 156
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

That's not entirely true, as you can easily see by inserting the Hardware Test DVD.

Also, you mean the SMBus, not the PMU.

Well, we're both wrong about the name. It's the SMC. But it really is independent of the OS.

See, for example, the bottom of this page and this page and this page.
  • Reply 19 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Well, we're both wrong about the name. It's the SMC.

Same thing.

Quote:

But it really is independent of the OS.

See, for example, the bottom of this page and this page and this page.

It's a hardware component that runs on its own, but it can be (and is, in the case of OS X) controlled by software.
  • Reply 20 of 156
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

Possibly the new fan code has not passed quality control yet, so they let the devs play with it but not consumers yet. That would mean it will come out in 10.4 later.

Just a guess....

Amorya