Time Machine asthetic changes..* =\

>_>>_>
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The "Big Bang" is no longer visible at all.* It is always 100% of the time covered by the window you are viewing, resulting in a rather underwhelming appearence.

Also, windows no longer fade out into the distance.* They shrink, but opacity remains at 100%.

I'm rather disapointed.* =(

- Xidius

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_>

The "Big Bang" is no longer visible at all.* It is always 100% of the time covered by the window you are viewing, resulting in a rather underwhelming appearence.

Also, windows no longer fade out into the distance.* They shrink, but opacity remains at 100%.

Here's an example from the latest build:

{NDA stuff deleted - JL}

I'm rather disapointed.* =(

- Xidius

Takes some of the Hollywood of it out, but I'd rather have fewer distractions anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    The Big Bang or however you want to call it was the cheesiest thing I had ever seen...ever. Good riddance...glad to see it won't take an entire OS revision to see this disappear.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    What a relief. Lets hope Apple gets rid of the space background next.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Agreed.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I liked the cheese factor. If anything, I enjoy Apple's little puffs of smoke, genie effects, or Big Bangs because they have a little sense of humor.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Didn't this sort of thing happen with the preview of the weather widget? A the keynote, the widget had moving wind and snow, but the final version didn't?
  • Reply 7 of 43
    It's there, you just need a small window to see it.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

I liked the cheese factor. If anything, I enjoy Apple's little puffs of smoke, genie effects, or Big Bangs because they have a little sense of humor.

Yeah - it was fun and everything, but you have the to remember - if you are using Time Machine, it's because you have lost or deleted something accidentally, and I don't think people who are trying to recover important files have much patience or would want to be distracted by "humour"

Regardless, I think it was great to demo the app for the first time, but I always figured it would be toned down, or at the very least they would give you the option to change it.

Furthermore, I don't think that Apple needs to make Time Machine so fun, to the point that you are destroying important documents on *purpose, just so you can recover it for the fun of it.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    I'll buy that angle, cool gut.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Wow, why'd they kill what was original and slick?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    Quote:

I'll buy that angle, cool gut.

Cool gut? Do you mean "güt"? As in, the German word for "good"?
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Nope. Referring to his user name. Anyway, there's no umlaut on "gut."
  • Reply 13 of 43
    Quote:

Nope. Referring to his user name. Anyway, there's no umlaut on "gut."

Right you are, my error. Peace in the Middle East.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared

What a relief. Lets hope Apple gets rid of the space background next.

Agreed. I don't know what the fascination is with making it another Front Row style thing. Yeah it's cool the first time you see it but when you have to wait up to 5 seconds to initialize the app unnecessarily, it gets annoying.

I personally would've preferred a Front-Row/ichat style reflection plane if it had to be full screen. Of course, I would really prefer it to just fade the backdrop and allow me to work with it in place.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I hope for further refinement; this thing still wastes screen space.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    I'd still like to know more about how it works. From what I've seen demoed so far, it seems to me that you need to know where you kept the deleted file. The problem is, with Spotlight, I'm not 100% sure where everything is all the time, especially stuff from months ago. Can spotlight be used with Time Machine?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Aww, does it not look "professional" enough for you fun-hating Grinches?
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Didn't this sort of thing happen with the preview of the weather widget? A the keynote, the widget had moving wind and snow, but the final version didn't?

The final weather widget still has moving wind for one of em (press apple + option while clicking on the widget to cycle through the pictures). I duno if it ever had falling snow.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    The swirly space thing was ok. Humerous at first but I could see how it might get annoying.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Aww, does it not look "professional" enough for you fun-hating Grinches?

I like that thinking.