News flash: Apple confirms media event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

having to burn these to DVDs would be even more time consuming, not to mention a DRM nightmare. i am really curious to see what they have, ahem, in store for all of us.

Assuming that one will be allowed to burn them to disk, something not now allowed on iTunes video downloards, a bit of effort isn't a bad thing. It isn't as though you have to be there monitoring the process.
  • Reply 22 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

In a digital invitation sent out to US-based media this morning, Apple confirmed that it will hold a special event on September 12 to introduce new products and services.

"It's Showtime," reads the invite, which displays a two-dimensional white Apple logo swept by four crisscrossing Hollywood movie premiere spotlights on a navy blue background.

Sorry, that sounds so familiar but I can't remember which Pixar movie that was from?

"It's Showtime!"
  • Reply 23 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

Sorry, that sounds so familiar but I can't remember which Pixar movie that was from?

"It's Showtime!"

The Incredibles? Or maybe Monsters?
  • Reply 24 of 229
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

"It's Showtime!"

It appeared in a "The Incredibles" trailer.
  • Reply 25 of 229
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Maybe this is where Google comes in - the use of Google servers for movie distribution all over the US (and the world, assuming this is open to beyond the US. And it just might be since it's supposedly being simulcast to the UK and the Mac Expo.)

That might be why it was so important to get Dr. Schmidt on the Apple Board first.

By the way, the Board thing also confirms that Apple won't be going into advertising on its own, as suggested by those who thought Apple should buy YouTube. If it does anything along those lines, it will partner with Google.
  • Reply 26 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

True.. just the word "Showtime" though.
  • Reply 27 of 229
    Why is it so fun to daydream?

New iTunes Media Store will feature

DVD-quality movies $9.99 downloads via iTunes new built-in bittorrent feature

HD-quality movies $14.99 downloads via iTunes new built-in bittorrent feature

Optional and separate movie "rental" service for $14.99/month. Features some fancy pants dynamic DRM which allows 3 movies available for download at a time. When you're done watching you delete it and it frees up the next personalized DRM code.
  • Reply 28 of 229
    i live my life apple event by apple event
  • Reply 29 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino

Why is it so fun to daydream?

New iTunes Media Store will feature

DVD-quality movies $9.99 downloads via iTunes new built-in bittorrent feature

HD-quality movies $14.99 downloads via iTunes new built-in bittorrent feature

Optional and separate movie "rental" service for $14.99/month. Features some fancy pants dynamic DRM which allows 3 movies available for download at a time. When you're done watching you delete it and it frees up the next personalized DRM code.

What we've been hearing is that $9.99 will be for older movies, and $14.99 will be for newer ones.
  • Reply 30 of 229
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

You can compress DVD-sized video down to a GB or two of data. 1 gig costs Apple 50 cents or so of bandwidth. For a $10 movie, not a huge issue.

1 to 2GB is about right. Even for HD content.

Using EyeTV, I recorded a 720p episode, cut the commercials out leaving a 43 minute file. Uncompressed it's >5GB, using H.264 with multi-pass rendering it compressed down to 650 to 750MB. So a full 2 hour movie with a little more aggressive compression would weigh in at under 2GB.

So you're spot on.

On a broadband connection with 2Mbits throughput, a 2GB will download in two hours.

Hm, close to, if not exactly, realtime. Curious!
  • Reply 31 of 229
    With faster connections such as my Covad 6.144Mbs speed, a 2 GB download takes 47 minutes. The 2 hours for a 2Mbs connection is not taking network traffic into account.
  • Reply 32 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Ah, that was it!

Thanks, Chucker.
  • Reply 33 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

i live my life apple event by apple event

Ain't that the truth!
  • Reply 34 of 229
    just picked up 30 shares of AAPL. i have a very strong outlook on the next 6 months.
  • Reply 35 of 229
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya

With an image with so little variation, I guess it would be too easy to remove just one watermark.

so little variation and extremely easy to duplicate using photoshop - why use watermarks at all?

Correct me if I'm wrong but at last years Special Music Event, Jobs' announced new iMacs, iPod with video and iTunes with video. So it doesn't seem to optimistic to hope for a new iPod, iTunes movie service (yes I too want DVD quality movies - in UK would be great too!), iMac Core 2 Duo. Is it too much to wish for this new Apple phone as well? This phone better be shit because I can't afford all these new Apple products.
  • Reply 36 of 229
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

so little variation and extremely easy to duplicate using photoshop - why use watermarks at all?

Correct me if I'm wrong but at last years Special Music Event, Jobs' announced new iMacs, iPod with video and iTunes with video. So it doesn't seem to optimistic to hope for a new iPod, iTunes movie service (yes I too want DVD quality movies - in UK would be great too!), iMac Core 2 Duo. Is it too much to wish for this new Apple phone as well? This phone better be shit because I can't afford all these new Apple products.

That is a lot to expect, but then they have a lot of existing products to update and a market that will want expect them released sooner rather than later. Unlike the Moto/IBM days the market also knows that the chips to update them have been released and what the specs of those chips are.
  • Reply 37 of 229
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

With faster connections such as my Covad 6.144Mbs speed, a 2 GB download takes 47 minutes. The 2 hours for a 2Mbs connection is not taking network traffic into account.

True, I'm well aware that there faster broadband connections, which would make the experience that much better. The operative word in my remark is "throughput." Perhaps I should have said "effective throughput."

Regardless, the increase in broadband rollouts in the US show that such large files are perfectly doable.

720p HiDef movie, 1 to 2 hour download, $9.99 - I can see Apple driving a lot of flat panels this holiday shopping season.
  • Reply 38 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

Especially now that a bunch of sites have this same image posted...only on their sites you can see the damn thing.
  • Reply 39 of 229
    Airport HD - it is indeed possible, see This C|net article
  • Reply 40 of 229
    YES!

I can't wait to download sub-vhs quality movies!