iMacs "Chin"

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it me or does the "chin" on the iMac look smaller. Is it only because the 20&24 inch ones make it look smaller?
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 67
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It looks incredibly stupid.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love the chin!
  • Reply 3 of 67
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, you're wrong. It's distracting and serves no purpose other than to scream "we didn't know how to not have this huge ugly thing here".
  • Reply 4 of 67
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, I disagree with you. I own one, and it's perfectly natural to me. I'd be sad to see it go.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    i've had post it's on mine. gives the computer substance.
  • Reply 6 of 67
    it has to serve some kind of purpose. isnt the internal speakers in there?
  • Reply 7 of 67
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    Well, you're wrong. It's distracting and serves no purpose other than to scream "we didn't know how to not have this huge ugly thing here".



    BS. [And Placebo's original un-edited post is quoted for truth and posterity.]



    Without the chin you would have to spend another $150 on decent speakers (not great speakers, but the iMac speakers are remarkably good for built-ins).



    Without the chin the whole damn box gets about an inch thicker and Placebo would be bitching about how fat it looks from the side.



    Without the chin the display would visually sit higher on the foot which looks odd. Most LCDs are adjusted to sit too low because folks don't like the look of them sitting higher, or think higher is too unstable.



    Without the chin and the heavy components there, the center of gravity would be higher making the whole thing more unstable.



    Without the chin there would be less family resemblance to the original Macintosh computer. It's a retro thing and all designers know retro reference is hot right now.



    Without the chin the difference between an iMac and a Cinema Display would be so minimal from the front it could be quite confusing to people unfamiliar with Apple products. Idiots would be wondering why a CD doesn't boot thinking it's an iMac. Add a Jay Leno chin and even the moron in a hurry doesn't make that mistake.



    Without the chin we would be short another ridiculous reason for Placebo to irrationally bitch about an Apple product.



    Personally I think the last one is most important.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    At least 3/4 of the chin could go and still have speakers. We all know why it's there, and we all now that if Apple could - they would take it out.



    The problem is, the LCD display gives off quite a bit of heat, so even though you think they have a lot more room on the 24" - they really don't because heat from the display increases.



    Regardless, it is definitely worth bitching about.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    time to take it on the chin mr jobs!
  • Reply 10 of 67
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Without a chin it'd have an external power brick.
  • Reply 11 of 67
    How long has this design been around now, 2 or 3 years?

    Seems like Apple is going to hold onto it for a while.
  • Reply 12 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro


    BS. [And Placebo's original un-edited post is quoted for truth and posterity.]



    Without the chin you would have to spend another $150 on decent speakers (not great speakers, but the iMac speakers are remarkably good for built-ins).



    I've listened to those speakers, they are nice but they aren't equivalent to $150 speaker sets. Maybe $50.



    And I don't believe that it would add an inch to the thickness. It will add some, but not an inch.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I disagree with all of you.



    All opinions are subjective, apart from mine, which is always right.



    The chin is necessary so that when competitors release an all-in-one with no chin, our trusty mac zealots can claim it serves a functional purpose.



    Here's an example:

    Dell Zealot: CHIN IS DUMB!!

    Mac Zealot: I PUT PICS OF NUDE LADIES ON MY IMAC'S CHIN, YOU'D HAVE TO BE GAY NOT TO!

    Dell Zealot: A CHIN CAN BE PURCHASED AFTER-MARKET FOR A FRACTION OF THE COST OF A MAC!

    Mac Zealot: BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE A STRAIGHT COMPUTER OUT OF THE BOX!

    *fisticuffs ensue*





    SLUGHEAD HAS SPOKEN!
  • Reply 14 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo


    Well, you're wrong. It's distracting and serves no purpose other than to scream "we didn't know how to not have this huge ugly thing here".



    If you actually had an iMac, you might think differently. The chin isn't very noticeable, at least for anyone taller than 5'2" or with a height-adjustable chair. The other point, which is perhaps more amusing, is that the chin is not just some sort of plastic compartment used in vain. It's full of stuff. I know, because I opened up my iMac once.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM


    And I don't believe that it would add an inch to the thickness. It will add some, but not an inch.



    If there were no chin, there would need to be a second printed-circuit board in parallel to the main board, and it would likely need to be spaced by a fair amount for cooling purposes. An inch seems correct to me. An extra PCB also means higher manufacturing costs, assembly costs, and higher costs associated with molding a more complex enclosure: less elegant, too.



    So at the end of the day, I'll take the chin if it makes for a thinner and cheaper iMac (which it does). Now that I've had the iMac for 8 months or so, I actually like the chin. Hard to explain that, but I like it.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    "But does the computer work?" asks Mr Aesthetics.: \
  • Reply 16 of 67
    I'm a fan of the chin. It's a handly place for sticky notes, plus think about what all is down there (power management, RAM slot, speakers....) We either increase the thickness of the machine or leave the chin. I'm actually of the opinion that if there were no chin the imac would get mistaken for a cinema display (even more so than it does now...) and look like shit. Keep the chin apple ... keep the chin or I will go buy a Dell!!! So help you, Steve Jobs!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 67
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Hehehe...



    I used to hate the chin when it was first released. I couldn't believe that they replaced one of the most beautiful computer designs (the Sunflower iMac) with something that looked like THAT.



    But then I started using the new 'Jimmy Hill on a ring-pull' iMacs and I have to say that I've come to love them. Because of the screen/chin ratio, I still think that the 17" looks a bit odd. But the 20"er looks (and works) great and now that the 24"er has been released I think it looks beautiful.



    If you were working hard you'd be looking at the screen – not the chin!



    Get some work done!
  • Reply 18 of 67
    The chin rocks!

    Without the chin the iMac would look like a boring white monitor.

    Chin-lovers unite!
  • Reply 19 of 67
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear


    The chin rocks!

    Without the chin the iMac would look like a boring white monitor.

    Chin-lovers unite!



    Yeah!



    Those stupid chin haters... may they all burn in hell end up owning an Aldi-PCs.



    ptouh
  • Reply 20 of 67
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel


    The other point, which is perhaps more amusing, is that the chin is not just some sort of plastic compartment used in vain. It's full of stuff. I know, because I opened up my iMac once.



    Now we talk. The chin has a chance to go if Apple decides to leave outside the PSU and the speakers, like in the G4 iMac days.
Sign In or Register to comment.