iMacs "Chin"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    i don't know why...but it just doesn't look right in black.

i love the black ipods and macbooks but the black, chinless imac doesn't look right to me.

i thought the speakers were in the chin too...?

i guess its more of a problem with the 17" as the chin is bigger relative to the screen.

i don't think i'll notice it too much on my 24".
  • Reply 42 of 67
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Without the chin, it would have ears. You have to have internals somewhere.

We don't even notice it on our rev A 20 inch.

Man, the new iPod needs to come out so everyone has something new to bash. The iMac is a simplistic thing of beauty. Of course, so will be the new iPod. But that never stopped anyone around these parts...
  • Reply 43 of 67
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What is it that makes people think that the chin is just for decoration? There is obviously a large part of the guts of the computer there. Now maybe with the 24" they could have rearranged stuff so it would all fit behind the screen, but I would bet that it isn't cost effective to use a completely different mobo just for that.

And as people have pointed out, there is the issue of center of gravity, heat behind heat without any increase in depth might be a problem, and telling the iMac apart from the displays might make the iMac look like it isn't worth the extra money. I think that was an issue with the Cube not seeming to be worth the $1799 they wanted - it was seen as too small to be that expensive.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

What is it that makes people think that the chin is just for decoration? There is obviously a large part of the guts of the computer there. Now maybe with the 24" they could have rearranged stuff so it would all fit behind the screen, but I would bet that it isn't cost effective to use a completely different mobo just for that.

I don't think anyone thinks it's for decoration but Apple are supposed to be among the best if not the best at making machines look great and most people agree the chin is ugly. It's not good for Apple to sell an ugly machine that targets their largest consumer demographic because it builds a reputation.

Now if they can fit almost the same components that are in the iMac into a 15" Macbook Pro (note, without chin) then they should be able to do the same with a 17"+ desktop. From looking at the insides, there looks to be a fair bit of wasted space, especially in the 20"+ and there's no doubt the PSU takes up a large amount:

So externalising that might not only reduce the price but make it look nice too - plus it'll be cooler inside. And it won't be so heavy to tip over when you need to install Ram.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

and telling the iMac apart from the displays might make the iMac look like it isn't worth the extra money. I think that was an issue with the Cube not seeming to be worth the $1799 they wanted - it was seen as too small to be that expensive.

I don't know about that. I doubt that people would make that mistake. After all, you could say the same thing about the Mini and an external CD/DVD burner. My Mac Mini is quite a bit smaller than my external firewire DVD burner.

I think it would seriously work in its favour because at the moment, people ask where the machine is but suspect it could be in the chin. But if there was no chin, they'd be absolutely blown away.

Also, does anyone think that desktops should come with magsafe too? The Mac Pro it doesn't matter but I think the Mini and iMac should get it as well as the MBP. I find the Mini power cord quite loose in the slot.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shakerben

i don't know why...but it just doesn't look right in black.

i love the black ipods and macbooks but the black, chinless imac doesn't look right to me.

i thought the speakers were in the chin too...?

i guess its more of a problem with the 17" as the chin is bigger relative to the screen.

i don't think i'll notice it too much on my 24".

It's because the stand is still silver. Make that an anodized matte black and it'd look great.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    The major iMac components the 15" MBP doesn't have are the DL Superdrive, 3.5" HDD, and internal PSU.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

It looks incredibly stupid.

I agree its one Fugly computer. I wouldnt want to look at it all day. Compared to Apples monitors it just plain ugly.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

BOO! maxtor HD in the intel !
  • Reply 49 of 67
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Someone should photoshop those stands anodized black too?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    the chin doesn't bother me too much... I just wish that there were matching white monitors so that i could put one next to the iMac and do desktop spanning. For a company that takes their asthetics so seriously, I can't believe that Apple does not take into consideration how goofy it looks to have a non-matching monitor onto which your desktop is spanned.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

BOO! maxtor HD in the intel !

Maybe I would have had an issue with that a few years ago, but hasn't Maxtor cleaned up their act lately?
  • Reply 52 of 67
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Maybe I would have had an issue with that a few years ago, but hasn't Maxtor cleaned up their act lately?

I honestly don't know for sure about their SATA drives, but I can tell you that when testing hard drives at work, Maxtors and sub-40 gig deskstars fail more than any other manufacturer.

Also, keep in mind that Maxtor's new drives haven't been around long enough for us to really gauge the failure rates / time.

ATA/SATA drives are supposed to last around a hundred thousand hours these days (11.4 years while on constantly). If maxtors are only lasting 20,000 hours (2.28 years), it's going to take a while for those numbers to become obvious.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    is the chin really gonna put people off buying a mac.

even if i thought the chin was ugly an imac is still one of the best looking desktops around.

infact i'd go as far as to say it is the best looking desktop around.

and it runs os x.

i don't think a little chin is gonna put me off.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:

Someone should photoshop those stands anodized black too?

voila Ireland

• Reply 55 of 67
    Now you're talking. Please mail one to me Overnight Shipping so it arrives with the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Those mockups make it look like an ordinary, nondescript, ho-hum PC monitor, rather than a distinctive, instantly recognizable all-in-one. And frankly quite less stylish than either the actual iMac or many of the monitors on the market today. What you guys have inadvertently made clear is that even if it weren't for the need to stash certain components in the "chin", it's a necessity for aesthetic purposes.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus

Those mockups make it look like an ordinary, nondescript, ho-hum PC monitor, rather than a distinctive, instantly recognizable all-in-one. And frankly quite less stylish than either the actual iMac or many of the monitors on the market today. What you guys have inadvertently made clear is that even if it weren't for the need to stash certain components in the "chin", it's a necessity for aesthetic purposes.

Well, the Cinema display doesn't look like any ho-hum PC monitor, I recognise it a mile off, not least because of the Apple symbol on the front.

In that respect, people could mistake it as just a monitor in a shop but as I've said already, that is an advantage because it adds to the wow-factor. Also, Apple users will know from the black and white coloring that it's not a Cinema display, which is silver.

As for it being less stylish, I guess it's a matter of opinion. Of course people who like the chin have the wrong opinion but they have a right to have the wrong opinion if they choose .
  • Reply 58 of 67
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The Chin sucks, looks like crap to me. Those chinless iMacs look 100% better in my view. Apple should have worked a little harder on getting rid of that thing.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Chin-haters, I have an idea! Duct tape a mini to the back of Dell monitor. Then you can have your ugly all-in-one and stop bitching about chinless iMacs!
  • Reply 60 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider

Chin-haters, I have an idea! Duct tape a mini to the back of Dell monitor. Then you can have your ugly all-in-one and stop bitching about chinless iMacs!

Then it's an ugly Dell all-in-one rather than an ugly Apple all-in-one like the current models?