Notes: Apple, iTunes stores down; new nano; event stream

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer has taken both its online store and iTunes music store services off line in preparation for this afternoon's product and service announcements.

Event Stream

Meanwhile, the company has posted a video-on-demand QuickTime link for today's Showtime event. However, it's unclear at this time whether Apple will broadcast the event live or make it available as a delayed feed following the conclusion of the event.

New iPod nano

Also, insiders are hearing that the new iPod nano may be slightly longer in length than its predecessor (or it may just look that way due to other changes). At the same time, they have yet to receive evidence that a 'true' video iPod will make its debut at the event.

Apple Germany hoopla

Overseas, several Apple Germany customers have been pointing to an update on the lower-left sidebar on the local version of Apple.com, which lists iTunes Videos from studios other than Disney. However, those images and links are believed to be for movie trailers and not the full-length films.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    I don't know whether this means anything, but the web link for the first two pictures ion the Danish site says ...Movie+Trailers... \
  • Reply 2 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    .de is Germany, not Denmark.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    Well, with about 35 minutes left before "showtime", here's hoping that the hype is not a big let down. I'm really hoping for a true video iPod.

An updated nano just won't cut it for me (I know, I know. I'm am very jaded)!
  • Reply 4 of 49
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I actually want an iPhone with some music playing ability.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    " evidence that a 'true' video iPod will make its debut at"

what exactly is the difference between the present iPod with video, a rumored iPod with a much larger screen and Bluetooth, and a "true" video iPod?
  • Reply 6 of 49
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtdunham

" evidence that a 'true' video iPod will make its debut at"

what exactly is the difference between the present iPod with video, a rumored iPod with a much larger screen and Bluetooth, and a "true" video iPod?

Just a guess (and how I personally feel) the current iPod+Vid has a very small (too small) 4x3 (UGH!) display where a 'true video iPod' would provide a larger LCD and something closer to to a respectable 16x9 aspect ratio.

D
  • Reply 7 of 49
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee

the current iPod+Vid has a very small (too small) 4x3 (UGH!) display where a 'true video iPod' would provide a larger LCD and something closer to to a respectable 16x9 aspect ratio.

Indeed, this is the main difference.

Currently, the HDD based iPods are primarily audio players that happen to play video. A "true" video iPod would be able to play video as well as it plays audio, and that means a larger, 16:9 screen and decent video playback battery life.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    The site's down. I guess that explains why Safari takes a header everytime I try to look up the Mac Mini.

Look, I'm sure this has been covered, but if they want a bigger iPod screen without a (much) bigger unit, will they follow the GameGear or PSP style and turn it on it's side?

A wider screen for movies without making the unit much bigger. Controls pushed to either side. I don't know if someone's going to scream copyright infringement since all Sega did was take the GameBoy and turn it sideways. Who am I kidding? Someone ALWAYS screams copyright infringement.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    ASA SOON as the apple store refreshes...it's MINE! bwahahahahaahaahahhahhaha!
  • Reply 10 of 49
    So what time is this event supposed to happen at?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

Good golly man! You're a member of AppleInsider forum, and you don't know yet? (sorry for the arrogance).

It starts at 10:00 AM Pacific Time (Daylight Savings right now, which means it would be 9:00 Pacific Standard Time)
  • Reply 13 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

in 3.5 minutes
  • Reply 14 of 49
    And It Has Started!
  • Reply 15 of 49
    "Video on demand" sounds like it's not streaming after all.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Engadget says the Woz is there. Huh?? Something Really Big TM happening?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    its not working for me
  • Reply 18 of 49
    "404 Not Found"
  • Reply 19 of 49
    following the coverage on Gizmodo, it would seem that we don't have the "true" iPod video. Battery life is improved, but the screen is still 4:3. Let the bitching begin!

Unless, of course, Apple intro an all-new top of the line iPod video. Hmmm...

Now Gizmodo is down. Can't get any coverage anywhere grrr.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

following the coverage on Gizmodo, it would seem that we don't have the "true" iPod video. Battery life is improved, but the screen is still 4:3. Let the bitching begin!

Unless, of course, Apple intro an all-new top of the line iPod video. Hmmm...

Now Gizmodo is down. Can't get any coverage anywhere grrr.

There's live converage here:

http://www.macrumorslive.com/