Googles offers public commitment to the Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Google on Monday went public with its commitment to Apple Computer's Mac platform, launching a new Mac Blog which pinpoints some of the efforts that are underway and targeted at users of the Mac OS X operating system.



"Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful," the company said. "We're pretty serious about that mission, including the 'universally accessible' part. It means making products that everyone can use -- including Mac users."



Google said its goal is to provide "great products and services" to the tens of millions of Mac users around the world, because "it's the right thing to do," and because Mac users "inside and outside Google demand it."



The Mountain View, Calif.-based company says it has recruited some of "the best, most passionate Mac people out there" for its Mac Engineering team. Already it has deployed Dashboard widgets that allow Mac users to check their Gmail, post to their blogs, and view search histories.



"In addition to these, you might have noticed some other Mac goodness showing up in Google products such as Safari support for Google Calendar , full Mac support for Google Video, and the Mac version of Google Earth," the company added.



Also Monday, Google announced that has agreed to acquire video file-sharing site YouTube in a $1.65 billion stock-for-stock transaction aimed at generating new ad revenue opportunities and bolstering its existing Google Video service.



In September, Newsweek reported that Apple and Google had been in discussion about making files from Google Video easily accessible on Apple's upcoming $299 iTV set-top-box. The two companies also appear to be working on integrating Google Maps into Apple's iPhoto.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    I like it. I'm excited to test out this Picasa integrated with iPhoto thing. My family hasn't liked my approach of hosting the pictures on my own computer (it's a MBP, so I don't have it connected all the time) even though I think that Wipha is the coolest photo sharing script ever. I recommend checking it out, if you have a Mac you can use as a server (really any desktop Mac could easily be connected enough for a family photo sharing server.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Beautiful. Just Beautiful. Love Google. Love Apple. I just wish Google had said Apple and Linux. Oh wells for now. In time Linux will grow hopefully. As for the iTV....Going to wait for reviews then maybe purchase one.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    w1n78w1n78 Posts: 26member
    that's great! hope they come up with a better gdisk app
  • Reply 4 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78


    that's great! hope they come up with a better gdisk app



    Considering it violates the GMail ToS, I strongly doubt it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Caribou Killa


    I just wish Google had said Apple and Linux. Oh wells for now. In time Linux will grow hopefully.



    How easy is it to support a commercial product on Linux? I haven't made a program for it in a while, but supporting several distributions would seem to still be a headache because each one is a little different from version to version and between distributions. I just can't imagine Linux users being happy if their particular distribution isn't supported.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    What is it about Safari that so many sites don't work right...??



    Gmail on Safari can't do styled text or chat.

    Google Spreadsheet doesn't fully work on Safari.

    Google Notebook is crippled on Safari.

    Writely does not work at all with Safari (even though the FAQ says it is supported)



    Sounds more like Macs don't support Google, rather than Google not supporting Macs...
  • Reply 7 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy


    Sounds more like Macs don't support Google, rather than Google not supporting Macs...



    "Macs"? There's several browser for "Macs" that work just fine.



    Yes, WebKit, Safari's engine, is somewhat lagging behind in some areas, but often, it's also faulty or engine-specific programming by the website developers that's to blame.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    "Macs"? There's several browser for "Macs" that work just fine.



    Yes, WebKit, Safari's engine, is somewhat lagging behind in some areas, but often, it's also faulty or engine-specific programming by the website developers that's to blame.





    As far as I'm concerned, if a site doesn't work on Safari, then it doesn't work on the Mac...



    Safari is the default browser out of the box.



    My mom isn't going to be able to switch browsers just to access a specific site...
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy


    As far as I'm concerned, if a site doesn't work on Safari, then it doesn't work on the Mac...



    Safari is the default browser out of the box.



    My mom isn't going to be able to switch browsers just to access a specific site...



    Often with most AJAX-y sites though, it just works in Firefox, so by your definition, than it's Linux-only I guess?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    The problem with Firefox is that it's not a real Mac app. It doesn't integrate with the OS features that contribute to the Macs ease of use. I use Services extensively when I am browsing, and I also need access to my Keychains for auto-fill as well as needing spell-check. Sure you can replicate some of those features with FF extensions, but they still don't integrate with the OS. Even Camino doesn't have spell-checking and it's Keychain support is based on an older keychain API which limits its abilities.



    There is no '4 star' Mac browser!!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy


    The problem with Firefox is that it's not a real Mac app. It doesn't integrate with the OS features that contribute to the Macs ease of use. I use Services extensively when I am browsing, and I also need access to my Keychains for auto-fill as well as needing spell-check. Sure you can replicate some of those features with FF extensions, but they still don't integrate with the OS. Even Camino doesn't have spell-checking and it's Keychain support is based on an older keychain API which limits its abilities.



    There is no '4 star' Mac browser!!



    Yet Another Purist Bullshitter.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat


    Often with most AJAX-y sites though, it just works in Firefox, so by your definition, than it's Linux-only I guess?





    I don't think that is an accurate understanding of what was meant. The fact that it's the default program carries a lot of pull. People seem to use what's included with the computer unless they have a very compelling reason to use an alternative. For example, most Internet surfers users use IE. Even though they have more options and it's easy to install another program, they are using what's included with their computer.



    That said, personally, I don't remember the last time I did see an incompatibility with Safari, AJAX or not.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Because iPhoto is too similar to Picasa?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy


    The problem with Firefox is that it's not a real Mac app. It doesn't integrate with the OS features that contribute to the Macs ease of use. I use Services extensively when I am browsing, and I also need access to my Keychains for auto-fill as well as needing spell-check. Sure you can replicate some of those features with FF extensions, but they still don't integrate with the OS. Even Camino doesn't have spell-checking and it's Keychain support is based on an older keychain API which limits its abilities.



    There is no '4 star' Mac browser!!



    it may not be a 'real' Mac app (which I don't understand your weird logic) but you should try the Firefox 2.0, its in beta but it's a LOT better the previous versions... right now FF beta 2.0 is at release candidate 2 as of this moment http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/



    And about Picasa for Mac I really don't think its a good idea, in a few months we will get iLife 07 with a newer/improved version of iPhoto and for most people thats good enough, plus I rather have Google create new Apps for are platform of choice
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean


    Yet Another Purist Bullshitter.



    Purist Bullshitters are what's keeping OS X from becoming Windows. I know that pains you...and if you don't like it, you can get the fuck out. Simple, eh?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean


    Yet Another Purist Bullshitter.



    It's taste, not "bullshit".
  • Reply 17 of 25
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Definitely wish Google would release a version of Picasa for the Mac. Gotta jump through hoops now to get photos tagged with IPTC data, crop, red eye, then iPhoto. Parallels and Picasa on the Intel Macs help though.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker


    It's taste, not "bullshit".



    Fair enough. But, as with almost everything else; taste is relative.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Clean


    Fair enough. But, as with almost everything else; taste is relative.



    Yes, of course.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy


    The problem with Firefox is that it's not a real Mac app. It doesn't integrate with the OS features that contribute to the Macs ease of use. I use Services extensively when I am browsing, and I also need access to my Keychains for auto-fill as well as needing spell-check.



    Autofill works fine, it's just not the OS Autofill. Dictionary is coming, just not the OS dictionary.



    You have a point on Services. I've never really used them to any productive extent.



    I think by now, the main reason I don't use Safari is that I like the ability to middle click anywhere in the tab to close it.
Sign In or Register to comment.