Briefly: MacBooks, iSights, iPod shuffle, AirPort Extreme

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Oh they're guessing all right...

Back in July, Think Secret reported a new enclosure for the MacBook Pro, and that's all the inside info that's been reported on it, other than it possessing a Core2 Duo processor. What else it will have or when it will come has been based on faint dots that people try to connect together.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

Oh they're guessing all right...

Back in July, Think Secret reported a new enclosure for the MacBook Pro, and that's all the inside info that's been reported on it, other than it possessing a Core2 Duo processor. What else it will have or when it will come has been based on faint dots that people try to connect together.

Yeah.

Late last year, or early this year, I forget which, I read a column by Rob Enderle, who has been surprisingly pro Apple the last couple years or so.

In it, he was talking about the coming Intel Macs, both desktop and portable. He said that he had seen some startling new enclosure designs for the Intel machines that would set the industry on end. I asked him about it, and he said that he saw them at Apple.

Whether Apple comes out with them or not is something else.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I think the product[red] iPod nano launch was the main focus starting out this month. We'll see Core 2 duo MacBookPros by start of November *latest*. Okay, mid-November *latest*. MacBooks will NOT be updated. MacBooks are just facing a shortage due to over-overwhelming demand. My 2 cents 8)

That Linksys actually looks badass. Sorry, I've slowly shifted to the dark side. I've got those veins and a slight shadow under the eyes. Actually, maybe that's because I'm hungover ...Ah, just messing around, been basically drug and alcohol free for 1 year and 9 months now! Just the psych medication

Wireless-N with MIMO and SUPERBOOST MAXRANGE ULTRAWIRELESS BRAINBURNING WAVERIDER SUPERFAST KILLERMAX is all the rage now. Linksys, DLink, Asus all aim to penetrate 50% more brain matter than before with their Wireless products. It's on the company manifesto somewhere. Apple is aiming for 60% more brain damage than the previous Airport Extreme Base Station. Hopefully there will be a physical redesign. A cute thin glassy cube perhaps? The antenna is actually embedded in the glass matrix and it's all transparent. That's the top bit, the bottom bit is a sexy burnt-metal-graphite iPod nano/ MacBookPro kind of material that holds the electronica. 8)
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Flash of inspiration: WirelessN from Apple could be redesigned as a really nice sharp pointy phallic obelisk.

"Guns don't kill people. Airport Extreme Base Stations do."
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Yes, melgross it's a Sunday and I'm semi-sleeping right now so, yes, I don't have anything better to do. Except for SHOUTING WHERE THE FRACK ARE THE MEROM MACBOOKPROS APPLE???!!!!!111!!!! ARHGHGHGHHGHGGHHHHG.

I swear, or you can smash my iBook g4 933mhz, I will NOT be starting a Countdown to MacWorld SF2007 January!!! ARGHGHGHHGHGH

The red iPod nano is teh new sexyBack though. It's sexier than teh sexyback in fact. Back to the Future? It's Back to the Sexy Part 2. Heh. Pity about the connection between sex, sexy and HIV and AIDs .....
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

I think the product[red] iPod nano launch was the main focus starting out this month. We'll see Core 2 duo MacBookPros by start of November *latest*. Okay, mid-November *latest*. MacBooks will NOT be updated. MacBooks are just facing a shortage due to over-overwhelming demand. My 2 cents 8)

That Linksys actually looks badass. Sorry, I've slowly shifted to the dark side. I've got those veins and a slight shadow under the eyes. Actually, maybe that's because I'm hungover ...Ah, just messing around, been basically drug and alcohol free for 1 year and 9 months now! Just the psych medication

Wireless-N with MIMO and SUPERBOOST MAXRANGE ULTRAWIRELESS BRAINBURNING WAVERIDER SUPERFAST KILLERMAX is all the rage now. Linksys, DLink, Asus all aim to penetrate 50% more brain matter than before with their Wireless products. It's on the company manifesto somewhere. Apple is aiming for 60% more brain damage than the previous Airport Extreme Base Station. Hopefully there will be a physical redesign. A cute thin glassy cube perhaps? The antenna is actually embedded in the glass matrix and it's all transparent. That's the top bit, the bottom bit is a sexy burnt-metal-graphite iPod nano/ MacBookPro kind of material that holds the electronica. 8)

I think people are too concerned about Merom. So far, the evidence is in that performance is, at best, about 6% faster than Yonah, and power usage is about the same.

While Intel quoted 20% improvement Hz for Hz between the two, we aren't seeing that now. But that is a pure chip performance rating. It doesn't include the chipset socket combo.

That doesn't mean that Intel made it up. The Santa Rosa chipset and socket change will allow those chips to perform at rated performance/watt. But, as you know, that won't be until sometime in spring.

So, these new machines are really more for bragging rights than anything else.

I don't use wireless, but I have had, and do have some Linksys products, and they are attractive, in a business, sort of way.

But, "n" requires three antenna's broadcasting out three different frequencies, each requiring a different antenna shape for greatest efficiency. Most of these units look somewhat the same no matter who makes them.

I'd still wait though.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull

But since then, those sources have mysteriously disappeared... ....

Yeah Apple Cupertino has a building for these naughty "sources" that makes Abu Ghraib look like a Hilton Hotel.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:

Yes, melgross it's a Sunday and I'm semi-sleeping right now so, yes, I don't have anything better to do. Except for SHOUTING WHERE THE FRACK ARE THE MEROM MACBOOKPROS APPLE???!!!!!111!!!! ARHGHGHGHHGHGGHHHHG.

Oh, go read my post! Wait! You probably have by now!

Quote:

I swear, or you can smash my iBook g4 933mhz, I will NOT be starting a Countdown to MacWorld SF2007 January!!! ARGHGHGHHGHGH

Sure, you say that NOW. but what will you be saying in January?

Quote:

The red iPod nano is teh new sexyBack though. It's sexier than teh sexyback in fact. Back to the Future? It's Back to the Sexy Part 2. Heh. Pity about the connection between sex, sexy and HIV and AIDs .....

You really have to stop thinking about sex. Or should we get up a collection for you to hire a, shall we say, physical therapist?
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I think people are too concerned about Merom.acquaintance So far, the evidence is in that performance is, at best, about 6% faster than Yonah, and power usage is about the same.

While Intel quoted 20% improvement Hz for Hz between the two, we aren't seeing that now. But that is a pure chip performance rating. It doesn't include the chipset socket combo.

That doesn't mean that Intel made it up. The Santa Rosa chipset and socket change will allow those chips to perform at rated performance/watt. But, as you know, that won't be until sometime in spring.

So, these new machines are really more for bragging rights than anything else.

I don't use wireless, but I have had, and do have some Linksys products, and they are attractive, in a business, sort of way.

But, "n" requires three antenna's broadcasting out three different frequencies, each requiring a different antenna shape for greatest efficiency. Most of these units look somewhat the same no matter who makes them.

I'd still wait though.

1. Yeah the wireless-N routers out there have received scathing reviews. The range dropoff in signal quality is shocking compared to wireless-G. That is, wireless G can still operate okay at pretty low levels whereas wireless-N at those low levels (higher distance) chokes bad.

2. Merom or not, we're also talking MacBookPro redesigns to alleviate the most pressing issues. Buying a MacBookPro in November compared to now essentially means you are extending the "lifetime" of your product by 6 months, in a hedging-against-future-upgrades kind of way. Who knows, they may even chuck in a ATI Mobility X1700 instead of X1600 with a little bit of the power savings of the Merom chip if they use similar clock speeds as the Yonahs. Here's to dreaming...

3. But anyways I'm on the sidelines now. Focussing on the MacBookPro and Wireless-N developments are good to distract me from rushing out and buying that sexy sexy red iPod nano.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:

...You really have to stop thinking about sex. Or should we get up a collection for you to hire a, shall we say, physical therapist?

I'm 28. In the next 20 years it is my biologically-programmed function to father one or more children, with a woman of about 25-40 years old in age. It's not just about sex, OMFG I am getting on in my years, thinking about my own family and stuff. To start them off right all my kids will be totally banned from touching a PC or using Windows (maybe even banning Linux). If they have to use it at school I shall soundly protest for "religious" reasons. Oh, and my kids get to take a religious holiday on MacWorld SF January keynote day. EVEN THOUGH I WON'T BE COUNTING DOWN TO IT NO MORE....... Heh.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

...Or should we get up a collection for you to hire a, shall we say, physical therapist?

Frack the hooker, er, I mean, forget about the hooker, I need a decent part-time job that does not involve Wallmart, Target, KMart, ToysRUs, MacDonalds, KFC or BurgerKing and the like. I have dreams of being a barista by day, Photoshop extraordinaire by night. Or is that Photoshop slave by day, Barista Extraordinaire by night.... Hmmmmm

Oh and WTF is up with Lost and BSG Season 3, I'm hella, well, lost. Seems like they've dived off a different plotline all together. Supernatural seems interesting, I haven't seen the 1st season but the 2nd season looks interesting, a bit of XFiles/ Buffy but with a western/ hicksville twang to things.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

I'm 28. In the next 20 years it is my biologically-programmed function to father one or more children, with a woman of about 25-40 years old in age. It's not just about sex, OMFG I am getting on in my years, thinking about my own family and stuff. To start them off right all my kids will be totally banned from touching a PC or using Windows (maybe even banning Linux). If they have to use it at school I shall soundly protest for "religious" reasons. Oh, and my kids get to take a religious holiday on MacWorld SF January keynote day. EVEN THOUGH I WON'T BE COUNTING DOWN TO IT NO MORE....... Heh.

Well, you sure are old. You are almost exactly half my age (I'll be 57 Nov. 2). Though I have a 15 year old daughter, I don't feel that old.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

First time we got something that looks like a date:

October 31st.

Coincidentally it is a tuesday.

?and my Bday
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Is it just me or do the AppleInsider forums seem a little dead-ish right now? I think people are all burnt out from the Intel transition and new iPods and no sight of the mid-tower, iPhone, etc....
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:

Frack the hooker, er, I mean, forget about the hooker, I need a decent part-time job that does not involve Wallmart, Target, KMart, ToysRUs, MacDonalds, KFC or BurgerKing and the like. I have dreams of being a barista by day, Photoshop extraordinaire by night. Or is that Photoshop slave by day, Barista Extraordinaire by night.... Hmmmmm

Oh and WTF is up with Lost and BSG Season 3, I'm hella, well, lost. Seems like they've dived off a different plotline all together. Supernatural seems interesting, I haven't seen the 1st season but the 2nd season looks interesting, a bit of XFiles/ Buffy but with a western/ hicksville twang to things.

I stopped watching Lost. Totally lost (sic) interest.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O

?and my Bday

w0000t!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:

Is it just me or do the AppleInsider forums seem a little dead-ish right now? I think people are all burnt out from the Intel transition and new iPods and no sight of the mid-tower, iPhone, etc....

Lately, somewhat. A few topics generate interest, but others, just a few posts.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:

I stopped watching Lost. Totally lost (sic) interest.

Heh.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

w0000t!!!!

What exactly does that mean?
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:

What exactly does that mean?

Get with the program, old man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

In this case, just congratulating and wishing Mr.O Happy Birthday in advance, and a hopeful gesture of new announcements Macwise on his birthday.