Briefly: MacBooks, iSights, iPod shuffle, AirPort Extreme

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Get with the program, old man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W00t

In this case, just congratulating and wishing Mr.O Happy Birthday in advance, and a hopeful gesture of new announcements Macwise on his birthday.

Watch the insults, or I'll get my cane and whup you one!

I rarely use Wike.

It just sounds like what you would hear if someone was punched in the stomach.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I think people are too concerned about Merom. So far, the evidence is in that performance is, at best, about 6% faster than Yonah, and power usage is about the same....While Intel quoted 20% improvement Hz for Hz between the two, we aren't seeing that now. But that is a pure chip performance rating. It doesn't include the chipset socket combo....That doesn't mean that Intel made it up. The Santa Rosa chipset and socket change will allow those chips to perform at rated performance/watt. But, as you know, that won't be until sometime in spring....So, these new machines are really more for bragging rights than anything else...

I just remembered: 8x DualLayer DVD burning to be added for the 15 inchers to make it standard across the range, unless there's a decent 16x DualLayer DVD burner for the 17". Merom at 2.0ghz and 2.16ghz for 15". Only 17" gets 2.33ghz Merom. GPUs to remain the same. Just refining my thoughts...

Santa Rosa will be killer. Especially since MacBooks and MacBookPros around that time will see Adobe CS3 2007 full UniversalBinary. iMacs and Mac Pros will get a nice boost too. Maybe lure (back) some of the poor bastards using PCs/ Adobe-via-Parallels/ PowerBookG4s... Those on PowerMac G5s though - they're sitting pretty 'till late 2007, I reckon, for Adobe CS2/ CS3.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    Santa Rosa MacBookPro, Leopard 10.5.2, Adobe CS3, rockin'. *sigh* I miss my AMD64 rig back in [3degNorth latitude, GMT+8 timezone]. I wanna update the 6600GT 128mb VRAM vga fan with a nice zalman copper-flower-heatpipe thing. Push 500mhz to 560mhz GPU clock 100% load stable - and I wanna play FEAR Extraction Point!! And HL2: Episode 2 when it comes out. Clean out the CPU copper-flower heatsinkfan with some compressed air. Setup a RAID0 with another 7200rpm SATA drive, and drop in another 512mbx2 RAM for 2GB operating at 390mhz (low but the latency is also low, probably 2.5-3-3-6 100% load stable)......... Run 64bit WindowsXP, good drivers for that now, game compatibility should be quite alright, the last time I tried...........
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Those upgrades are cheaper than buying an XBOX360... Er, I think.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Quote:

*sigh* I miss my AMD64 rig back in [3degNorth latitude, GMT+8 timezone].

S'pore?

Macworld isn't that far away. Keep hanging in there!
  • Reply 46 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yetieater

S'pore? ... Macworld isn't that far away. Keep hanging in there!

Close. S'pore is 1degNorth. Kuala Lumpur is 3degNorth 8)
  • Reply 47 of 62
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    While this is a very big shot in the dark, could it be that Apple was waiting to announce the MacBook Pros so they could incorporate the brand new nVidia GeForce Go 7950? (link)
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

While this is a very big shot in the dark, could it be that Apple was waiting to announce the MacBook Pros so they could incorporate the brand new nVidia GeForce Go 7950? (link)

I doubt that very much. The 7950 take a lot of power, and puts out a lot of heat. These books are too thin for great cooling. Don't forget that even the 1600 was run slow so as to use less power and run cooler.

Besides, we will have to see if Apple is going to move from ATI in their laptops.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Yeah. Geforce Go 7950 is like 0.0001% chance it will be in new MacBookPros. Not with the existing heat issues already. It's not an Alienware laptop
  • Reply 50 of 62
    By the way, paid my homage to Apple reseller store in Hawthorn, Melbourne. (Streetwise.com.au) ... Man that iMac Intel Core Duo can handle 1920x1080p H.264 Ultra smooth. Smoooooth as butter. Also MacBookPro and Elgato EyeTV, TV on your laptop, nice and smooth. Picture quality somewhat pixelated for standard def, but HDTV is nice. HDTV is available in Australia now for some channels and some programs. This is free-to-air digital TV. Have not fooled around with cable SDTV/ HDTV (Foxtel in Australia).
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:

By the way, paid my homage to Apple reseller store in Hawthorn, Melbourne. (Streetwise.com.au) ... Man that iMac Intel Core Duo can handle 1920x1080p H.264 Ultra smooth. Smoooooth as butter. Also MacBookPro and Elgato EyeTV, TV on your laptop, nice and smooth. Picture quality somewhat pixelated for standard def, but HDTV is nice. HDTV is available in Australia now for some channels and some programs. This is free-to-air digital TV. Have not fooled around with cable SDTV/ HDTV (Foxtel in Australia).

Even the old dual core Mini could do it well.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    Sunil,

Could you tell me a little more about the El Gato TV thingamabob? I checked out their website, and they run anywhere from $99-$200. Which one would I need in order to watch my local channels live in a HD broadcast? The descriptions are all pretty similar...
  • Reply 53 of 62
    The Mail on Sunday (the British newspaper that ran the iPod Factory abuses story) had a sidebar in their technology magazine on Sunday saying the new iPod Shuffle would be available this Friday. It'll be interesting to see if the rest of the rumoured products are updated then or just the shuffle and XServe - I'm hoping for a core 2 duo macbook by christmas though

Not sure where they're getting the story from and it's not on their site: I'll try scanning the article and posting it later.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Close. S'pore is 1degNorth. Kuala Lumpur is 3degNorth 8)

You're in KL?! Lucky SOB... I envy you!
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:

I'm 28. In the next 20 years it is my biologically-programmed function to father one or more children, with a woman of about 25-40 years old in age. It's not just about sex, OMFG I am getting on in my years, thinking about my own family and stuff. To start them off right all my kids will be totally banned from touching a PC or using Windows (maybe even banning Linux). If they have to use it at school I shall soundly protest for "religious" reasons. Oh, and my kids get to take a religious holiday on MacWorld SF January keynote day. EVEN THOUGH I WON'T BE COUNTING DOWN TO IT NO MORE....... Heh.

*sigh*
  • Reply 56 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara

*sigh*

Sunil is excitable. Don't worry, in a couple of days he'll forget all about it.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philby

You're in KL?! Lucky SOB... I envy you!

Why? You like a haze-choked city with terrible traffic and 30degC/ 92degF all year round? And sudden thunderstorms that go on for a few hours, almost each day? Good food, though.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Sunil, Could you tell me a little more about the El Gato TV thingamabob? I checked out their website, and they run anywhere from $99-$200. Which one would I need in order to watch my local channels live in a HD broadcast? The descriptions are all pretty similar...

Basically it all comes with software which lets you watch TV on your Mac and record TV and change channels, and AFAIK scheduling as well.

It all depends on which country you are and what sort of HD broadcasts you are getting - is it DTT, Cable, Satellite? Check http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file...cts_eyetvmain2 -- you should ask someone in your local area though and check with them, if they have Elgato.

DTT - Digital Terrestial [TV/Transmission(?)]
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Sunil, Could you tell me a little more about the El Gato TV thingamabob? I checked out their website, and they run anywhere from $99-$200. Which one would I need in order to watch my local channels live in a HD broadcast? The descriptions are all pretty similar...

This is the product that can be used in Australia... http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvdtt ...HDTV is supported under DTT (www.dvb.org)
  • Reply 60 of 62
    www.dvb.org ..."DVB delivers virtually any digital to the home. Whether it’s High Definition TV, multiple channel Standard definition TV (PAL, NTSC or SECAM) or new broadband multimedia content and interactive services, DVB delivers owing to the use of MPEG-2 packets as "data containers", and the critical DVB Service Information surrounding and identifying those packets."

Worldwide Adoption..."DVB’s main transmission standards, DVB-S for Satellite, DVB-C for Cable and DVB-T for terrestrial, dominate the world and are the basis for most of the alternative standards..."