Briefly: MacBooks, iSights, iPod shuffle, AirPort Extreme

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    So in Australia major metro areas you can use your old regular TV arial on your roof and then with a DTT [DVB-T] receiver, you plug the coax ol' arial cable in your DTT [DVB-T] receiver - you can then get digital TV channels, and HDTV channels if your set top box supports it. I *think* this is what I saw, but I'm not sure... http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvdtt The Elgato thingy is the "set top box" that connects to your mac. In fact, according to that page, you don't have to use your big ass TV arial, it comes with a cute small little arial.

"Can DVB/DTT EyeTV hardware receive the new HDTV test streams in Europe?

There are many EyeTV-compatible hardware devices that receive DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) video, also known as DTT when received over antenna/aerial.

EyeTV currently supports the normal MPEG Transport Streams used for DVB, typically MPEG-2. That video might be SDTV or HDTV, depending on the country. Australia is an example of a region where HDTV can be received over DVB.

In some parts of Europe, there are test streams for HDTV. These are not normal MPEG-2 Transport Streams, and instead are encoded in H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10).

EyeTV does not support H.264 at this time. We are looking into supporting that standard in a future update, if possible.

So, EyeTV currently cannot receive these HDTV streams in H.264. There might be audio in some cases, but there will not be video."
  • Reply 62 of 62
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    "What is the range of bitrates of EyeTV for DTT’s MPEG-2 transport streams?

Knowing that the image quality may vary depending on region and service, the typical range for standard definition DVB broadcasts is about 3.5 MBit/sec - 5 MBit/sec. We’ve seen anything between 3 MBit/sec (typically low-profile news channels) and 18 MBit/sec (HDTV) for MPEG-2, so lower or higher bit rates are entirely possible. Some stations even broadcast MPEG-1 at about 1.7 MBit/sec. There is no hard wired limit to EyeTV for DTT’s reception capability."