Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 101 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 05elstonc

Also of note is the Product pages on the store have changed. The new design puts the information in a rounded gradient box with a grey-blue over box, new font size and colors for specs, the select buttons from the new iPod nano pages have been extended, and now the product images are selected rather than displayed over the products info. I like the new look, and it is good news that apple is working on the website design and may give insight into the color choices and UI concepts that will be in Leopard.

Thoughts?

I like it.
  • Reply 102 of 376
    My brother bought a MBP about 2 weeks ago. Can he take it back for the new one? This isn't really fair for him. >snif<
  • Reply 103 of 376
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Yahoo, yippeee!!! Cockadoodle doo!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
  • Reply 104 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

My brother bought a MBP about 2 weeks ago. Can he take it back for the new one? This isn't really fair for him. >snif<

While I would argue the fairness point, I'm pretty sure there is a 14 day return policy for opened merchandise and they charge a restocking fee. Still, I'd say it's worth the restocking fee.

EDIT: Here, I copied this for your convenience:

RETURN & REFUND POLICY

If you are not satisfied with your Apple purchase of a product, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request within 14 calendar days of the receipt of the product. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

1. Product that is custom configured to your specifications
  • Reply 105 of 376
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Placed my order - base model Macbook Pro with the 160gb hard drive, 3-5 days delivery. Fantastic! I'm glad that I waited and didn't buy the old version.
  • Reply 106 of 376
    Hmmm..... I am very surpised with myself: I have been flipping back and forth between a document I need to finish by COB, and the my apple.com shopping cart, in which I have placed a 15" 2.33GHz MBP with the 160 Gig HD, and a wireless mighty mouse. I can't pull the trigger, and I don't know why. They're great machines, I think they will be the only significant change for quite some time, but for some reasone, my amex card is still in my wallet.

I know this contributes nothing the conversation, just a moment of introspection.....
  • Reply 107 of 376
    I got the 2.33 15". 2-4 days for shipping
  • Reply 108 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove

Hee-hee-hee.

Actually, this is the bump I was waiting for. Am ordering the 17" with all the bells and whistles (the 160 gig), 3 gigs RAM, etc. When the Santa Rosa one comes out... whenever that is... I won't be impatient because I'll have this great machine to keep me company. Then I'll give this to my son and be on my merry way.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 15" MBP.

Only hesitating because of the $575 price for the 3GB option. That seems a little high to me. Crucial.com doesn't show memory for this model yet but any idea what this goes for for this type of RAM at (good) 3rd party sellers?

Thanks,

Steve
  • Reply 109 of 376
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Will it really take all that long for after-market vendors to offer a larger 7200 hdd as well as memory that's a bit less pricey?
  • Reply 110 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Only hesitating because of the $575 price for the 3GB option. That seems a little high to me. Crucial.com doesn't show memory for this model yet but any idea what this goes for for this type of RAM at (good) 3rd party sellers?

If you go here, you will see that Crucial charge $1169.99 for a 2 GB 667 MHz SO-DIMM, and $175.99 for a 1 GB module. Newegg (a good source for inexpensive components in the U.S.) do not stock 2 GB 667 SO-DIMMs.

So, for once, Apple's memory upgrades are not a rip-off. Quite the opposite, in fact!
  • Reply 111 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentric

After much searching, I found the deeply hidden weight of that thing. 18.5 lbs.

That's almost as much as a 20 inch iMac (22 lbs)!

That's because it's Dell's attempt at a version of the 20 inch iMac (ie a "single cable" computer for people without much space or who want a clean look). A friend of mine uses one both for live recording projects and as his apartment computer.

While it's no laptop, it's pretty damn portable for a home pc (not compared to any laptop), quite powerful, and i really liked the fact that his has an interface for music, video, and basic calendar, etc. that doesn't require the computer to do a full boot, which is a feature i think more computers should have. Also, standard wireless keyboard is nice, as is the gyropscope remote that works as a mouse pointer so you can sit on the couch and surf or play mouse oriented games...

That said, it runs XP and isn't nearly as pretty as iMac, so i wouldn't buy one. Also, it's pretty pricey...
  • Reply 112 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

That's because it's Dell's attempt at a version of the 20 inch iMac (ie a "single cable" computer for people without much space or who want a clean look). A friend of mine uses one both for live recording projects and as his apartment computer.

While it's no laptop, it's pretty damn portable for a home pc (not compared to any laptop), quite powerful, and i really liked the fact that his has an interface for music, video, and basic calendar, etc. that doesn't require the computer to do a full boot, which is a feature i think more computers should have. Also, standard wireless keyboard is nice, as is the gyropscope remote that works as a mouse pointer so you can sit on the couch and surf or play mouse oriented games...

That said, it runs XP and isn't nearly as pretty as iMac, so i wouldn't buy one. Also, it's pretty pricey...

But still too heavy to levitate despite the anti-gravity that everyone was clamoring for in the MBP.
  • Reply 113 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

If you go here, you will see that Crucial charge $1169.99 for a 2 GB 667 MHz SO-DIMM, and $175.99 for a 1 GB module. Newegg (a good source for inexpensive components in the U.S.) do not stock 2 GB 667 SO-DIMMs.

So, for once, Apple's memory upgrades are not a rip-off. Quite the opposite, in fact!

I couldn't stand the pressure any more....I cracked and bought a 15" MBP with 3GB RAM, 160GB drive and Magsafe airline power adapter. I usually don't get extended warranties, but being this is a notebook I got AppleCare also.

Steve
  • Reply 114 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

How often does one change the hard drive in a laptop?

I had a Dell circa 1999/2000 with 2 modular swappable drives, which was actually great and easy and only required a reboot. That way i could choose between extra battery, floppy drive (hehe), hard drive(s), a second cd drive for fast burning, or 2 space fillers to save weight. I thought it was a great feature at the time and haven't seen a laptop since with that much flexibility.

It would be great on a Macbook to be able to swap out the superdrive if you really needed an extra 2-3 hours' battery time or an extra 80 gig without an external drive... Although developing products with the same form factor as the superdrive would be expensive. I remember the extra battery and drives for my dell costing a bit of a premium.

That said, with only a single hard drive, it should really only be necessary to change the hard drive once or twice in the life of the computer, and that should be done by a pro in most cases, so how accessible it is doesn't matter a whole lot, although the thought of having one Windows-booting drive and one OS-booting drive is interesting, if it was a simple "click-in" type of drive.
  • Reply 115 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove

But still too heavy to levitate despite the anti-gravity that everyone was clamoring for in the MBP.

True. I just wish everyone would slow down a bit and wait for the floats-in-water MBP before raising a stink about the anti-gravity delays. It would help me a lot in my job in corporate aqua-gymnastics.
  • Reply 116 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by framerate

OK, now is the time for me to replace my 1.67GHz PowerBook G4. I'd like more than an X1600 to be honest, but FW800. dual layer burning and 64-bit ensure I can resist no longer.

I'm with you.

Love the upgrade except for the GPU. (But I am sure Apple had some reason for not giving it a bump.)

I just hope the quality issues are fixed. That's the upgrade I care most about.
  • Reply 117 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

True. I just wish everyone would slow down a bit and wait for the floats-in-water MBP before raising a stink about the anti-gravity delays. It would help me a lot in my job in corporate aqua-gymnastics.

No, the floats-in-water technology is going to the MacBooks first (or so I hear from a little birdie) -- aluminum doesn't float as well, as they need to work out cellular air-pocket battery-packs in order to get the buoyancy right. And then there's the ability to use it as a life-vest... it's gonna be 2008 before we get to that, and even then, MS isn't going to have the H20 version of Office ready. Give me anti-gravity first, I say.
  • Reply 118 of 376
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Core 2 Duo and FW 800 are decent but nothing much to get excited about. They might save stuff up for next year but I like them to spread it out a bit so we're not always waiting. Leopard should be enough on its own, although since we're not getting to know much of what's in it, my interest is fading somewhat.

Yeah, I'm with you brother. The first Mac notebooks with a Dual 64-bit processor is no big deal!

I'll be with you waiting for the Octo 128-bit processors running at 3 terraflops and Halograhic FireWire THX-1138. Nothing less for me and you buddy.

I also hope it has a little solar panel like my calculator so It can run off of the light from my lamp. But maybe I'm asking too much now.

How quickly we forget the years we waited for a portable G5.
  • Reply 119 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akerman

Man, I guess you really have to watch what you say here about Apple (if negative in any way) lest you want non-sensical posts slagging you off in an infantile manner.

And where exactly were you non-sensically slagged off?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

If it was in the last 14 days he can return, if it's in the last 10 apple has a price protection policy and you can call them up for a refund of the difference. Next time, he should pay attention to the rumors and product release cycles if he doesn't want to get burned.
  • Reply 120 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder

Next time, he should pay attention to the rumors and product release cycles if he doesn't want to get burned.

Yeah, everyone sure got it right on that, didn't they?