Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 141 of 376
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

The peak power consumption of Core 2 Duo is actually higher than Core Duo. The average draw is lower, however.

But not by much either way.
  • Reply 142 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Before I begin you will please note that I am not one of the complainers, but

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

But complaints such as Apple not redesigning the case or the keyboard are silly complaints.

And why's that?

Quote:

Or even consider why 4GB would have been so much better.

pros:

1.) It's more RAM! OS X likes RAM.

2.) Having 2 matching SO-DIMMS enables the bus to work in dual-channel mode, doubling the maximum memory bandwidth.

cons:

1.) Seriously expensive

2.) Lower battery life.
  • Reply 143 of 376
    Quote:

Before I begin you will please note that I am not one of the complainers, but

And why's that?

Other than wanting a new case for the reason of showing that the model one bought was the NEWEST one, what would be the reason for changing a case that has shown itself to be one of the best cases Apple has ever had? Changing cases will simply cost Apple more money, and thus raise the price of the machine.

Quote:

pros:

1.) It's more RAM! OS X likes RAM.

2.) Having 2 matching SO-DIMMS enables the bus to work in dual-channel mode, doubling the maximum memory bandwidth.

cons:

1.) Seriously expensive

2.) Lower battery life.

And more heat.

It's a wash.
  • Reply 144 of 376
    Quote:

The complaint about 4GB of RAM vs 3GB of RAM sounded like a complaint just to complain about something. It did not attempt to taken into consideration why Apple made that choice. Or even consider why 4GB would have been so much better.

RAM makes a huge difference to me when thinking about future editions of Creative Suite where running multiple apps will require lots of memory. Also, to record 16 tracks simultaneously at 24-bit in Protools, 3 Gig is pushing it a bit if you want to use any plug-ins at the same time. Same thing for editing and working with video and live sound simultaneously in live contexts. In 4 years when CS4 comes out and the recording standard is higher still, i like to think that this laptop would still be in pretty good shape...

I'm sure apple had great reasons for their choice, but would it have been impossible to make that 1x1 GB dimm a 1X2? That would have kept apple even with every other manufacturer in terms of top-end memory on top-end machine, which I think is important when you consider Apple's reliance on the professional market to create a high profile...
  • Reply 145 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Other than wanting a new case for the reason of showing that the model one bought was the NEWEST one, what would be the reason for changing a case that has shown itself to be one of the best cases Apple has ever had? Changing cases will simply cost Apple more money, and thus raise the price of the machine.

See the earlier discussions about easier HDD replacement and better lid closing arrangement (magnetic latch of MacBook Vs. mechanical latch of MacBook Pro).

And, entirely separately and not yet mentioned, I would love to see the MacBook Pro move to carbon-fibre instead of aluminium - even slimmer and lighter! But muchos $$.
  • Reply 146 of 376
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AgNuke1707

What do you dislike about the MBP design? Look around ... it is one of the sleekest, most beautiful notebooks out there right now.

Salespeople are only interested in pushing products out the door and ringing up the cash register. It's the technicians and support people that have to answer to customers afterwards. Spiffy looking designs mean nothing if the laptop has poor serviceability that pisses off technicians and makes service a pain.
  • Reply 147 of 376
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

And more heat.

Exactly how much more heat is that?
  • Reply 148 of 376
    Quote:

See the earlier discussions about easier HDD replacement and better lid closing arrangement (magnetic latch of MacBook Vs. mechanical latch of MacBook Pro).

I read those. Minor internal mods to the case could easily take care of those, should Apple wish to do them. A new case design is not needed.

Quote:

And, entirely separately and not yet mentioned, I would love to see the MacBook Pro move to carbon-fibre instead of aluminium - even slimmer and lighter! But muchos $$.

That's been mentioned. forget it!

The price of carbon fiber has tripled this year.
  • Reply 149 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Yeah, I want my MBP thicker and heavier!

Stop exaggerating. The 13 inch Macbook is only 0.08 inches (2.032 mm) thicker than the MacBook Pro, and has an easily removable hard drive. Yet I don't see people straining their backs or having heart attacks trying to carry a MacBook.
  • Reply 150 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

I'm sure apple had great reasons for their choice, but would it have been impossible to make that 1x1 GB dimm a 1X2? That would have kept apple even with every other manufacturer in terms of top-end memory on top-end machine, which I think is important when you consider Apple's reliance on the professional market to create a high profile...

Maybe they do have some bizarre reason. Heat and power consumption doesn't seem to be enough of a reason, though I've never thought of memory being a significant drain, so I'm not sure if not hooking up what I assume to be one wire really makes sense. If the owner wants to pay some huge sum for the extra capacity, then I don't see where the harm is.
  • Reply 151 of 376
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Here is a side by side comparison between what Dell offers and what Apple offers:

Quote:

Dell Store

Components

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz/667MHz/4MB)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2 with Media

GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1500M, 256MB (dedicated), OpenGL

MEMORY: 2 GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMM

OPTICAL DRIVE: 8XDVD+/-RW w/Sonic Digital Media?/CyberLink PowerDVD?

HARD DRIVE: 160GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

WIRELESS CARD: Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-band Mini-Card

BLUETOOTH WIRELESS: Dell Wireless® 350 Bluetooth Module

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE: NTFS File System

PRICE: $3,369.00

Quote:

Apple Store

Components

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core? 2 Duo Processor T7600 (2.33GHz/667MHz/4MB)

OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS 10.4

GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with up to 256MB

MEMORY: 2 GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMM

OPTICAL DRIVE: SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

HARD DRIVE: 160GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

WIRELESS CARD: Airport

BLUETOOTH WIRELESS: Bluetooth

PRICE $2,799.00

So as you can see, you not only get a better machine from Apple but it's also cheaper
  • Reply 152 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Exactly how much more heat is that?

I don't have the numbers at hand. Watts aren't enumerated in most places, but it's going to add 33% greater greater draw, and 33% greater heat than 3GB would. As memory gets hot, it surely won't help.
  • Reply 153 of 376
    Quote:

I read those. Minor internal mods to the case could easily take care of those, should Apple wish to do them. A new case design is not needed.

Didn't realise you weren't counting those things as a case re-design. I'm not sure anyone was really hoping for anything more than this.

Quote:

That's been mentioned. forget it!

I meant mentioned in this thread. Didn't know that about the price though A carbon-fibre laptop would be so sweet.
  • Reply 154 of 376
    Quote:

Didn't realise you weren't counting those things as a case re-design. I'm not sure anyone was really hoping for anything more than this.

Most people think "new" case when saying that they want a case redesign.

Quote:

I meant mentioned in this thread. Didn't know that about the price though A carbon-fibre laptop would be so sweet.

You mentioned the carbon fiber in your reply to me, that's why I replied to it.

The aerospace industry is using almost all supplies of carbon fiber fabric right now. The new Boeing aircraft, as well as the F-22 are sucking it up.

Bike manufacturers who were selling carbon fiber frames last year for $6,000, are now selling the same frames for over $16,000.

A carbon fiber laptop case we don't need at those prices.
  • Reply 155 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Here is a side by side comparison between what Dell offers and what Apple offers:

So as you can see, you not only get a better machine from Apple but it's also cheaper

That's not a very good comparison. I think the Quadro card in the Dell makes all the difference, price-wise, and that alone should be enough to point out that they aren't even going to be used by the same type of user. Maybe your comparison would be reasonably valid if you compared it against a Dell with a consumer video card rather than a workstation video card.
  • Reply 156 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

How often does one change the hard drive in a laptop? Is it really that important that it might take 30 minutes instead of five? There are videos that show you exactly how to do it.

It makes a big difference for busy technicians who have to repair computers every day. Unfortunately, Apple seems to be only interested in ringing up the cash register and doesn't seem to give a damn about the people who have to support their computers and their customers.
  • Reply 157 of 376
    Quote:

Where did you hear that? Carbon fiber is manufactured and doesn't require any raw materials whose values could have gone up that much, so i have no idea why the price would triple.

About 2 months ago I had a carbon fiber flight case for my double bass custom built, which is about 7 feet tall, 2 1/2 feet deep and 4 feet wide (althought it's moulded to fit the bass), weights about 32-33 pounds and was around 1700 bucks US... Also, i got a Crumpton Bike frame for around 4000 2 years ago, and now they sell for a little over 3...
  • Reply 158 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I guess it depends if you see the glass half full or half empty. I see it as half full and pulled the trigger on one. I mean this in the sense that in the ppc days chip upgrades were too slow. Now the upgrades are so fast the software can't keep up.

You say you were waiting for the mythical g5 laptop. Think of it this way. Apple just released the equivalent of a dual core g5. And you don't have to pack it in dry ice.

I was never waiting for the mythical G5 PB. That being said, I am not slamming Apple for in any way, shape, or form, this is a solid update to the product line. In weighting the pros or cons for replacing the G4 PB I supped up to hold me over until the Intel transition was done I think the usable impact of the update is minimal for me.

It?s interesting that people go coo-coo for cocoa puffs at the idea of a 64-bit machine, when the reality is that for most of us we are some time away from having a 64-bit OS, let alone a wide variety of 64-bit applications.

I really want to replace my current PB, but I guess if I can wait a little longer to upgrade, I might as well not because this isn?t a great computer, but the marginal utility I will get out of the $2500 I spend may not justify it in my case.
  • Reply 159 of 376
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Goddamn it I wish this came out last month, 3.5-4 weeks ago I finally caved and go the 1999 model but if it didn't desperately need one it would have been worth the wait for the DL Superdrive and Bigger HD alone.

I'm so pissed. I dropped a 1gig chip into it a week ago bringing me to 1.5gb ram, if I could have waited I'd be rocking out on a 2gigs of ram, faster proc, and bigger hd.

Does anyone know if upgrading the mbp's hd void's the warrenty?
  • Reply 160 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Where did you hear that? Carbon fiber is manufactured and doesn't require any raw materials whose values could have gone up that much, so i have no idea why the price would triple.

This is pretty well known. It's been in all the newspaper busines sections, as well as the technical journals. The bike mags have been bemoaning this as well.

Quote:

About 2 months ago I had a carbon fiber flight case for my double bass custom built, which is about 7 feet tall, 2 1/2 feet deep and 4 feet wide (althought it's moulded to fit the bass), weights about 32-33 pounds and was around 1700 bucks US... Also, i got a Crumpton Bike frame for around 4000 2 years ago, and now they sell for a little over 3...

I can't comment on your stuff. Go look at the bikes sold today by the bigger manufacturers. They have all doubled, or tripled, this year.