Apple introduces the Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 181 of 376
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Apple's high end pricing is lower than those of other high end laptops as well.

Those who use Apple's laptops for pro work don't need a Quattro card. Neither photo editing or video editing benefit. Neither does most of what is done on these machines, such as audio.

Apple isn't competing in the laptop area with high end 3D pr CAD apps. Neither are they competing in the high end gamer market.

Those machines categories generally mean bigger and heavier machines as well. A place that Apple isn't competing in either.

Though maybe not intentionally, thank you for sticking up for me. I was comparing two pro products side by side. Maybe you could use the Dell for a different market (if it's the graphics card that makes that difference) but they are still pro laptops non the less which is what I was aiming for. Even if you dummy down the GPU on the Dell (to make the machine on par for the same target market?), the machine is still more expensive.
  • Reply 182 of 376
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I think the Quadro card in the Dell makes all the difference, price-wise, and that alone should be enough to point out that they aren't even going to be used by the same type of user. Maybe your comparison would be reasonably valid if you compared it against a Dell with a consumer video card rather than a workstation video card.

I agree.

The Dell XPS M1710 with NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS and similar specs as the MBP costs $3,188.

It does not offer Windows Media Center, internet camera, remote control, optical audio.

Does however look as though Apple is going to give Dell competition on price in the high end market.
  • Reply 183 of 376
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

Though maybe not intentionally, thank you for sticking up for me. I was comparing two pro products side by side. Maybe you could use the Dell for a different market (if it's the graphics card that makes that difference) but they are still pro laptops non the less which is what I was aiming for. Even if you dummy down the GPU on the Dell (to make the machine on par for the same target market?), the machine is still more expensive.

Sure.

The prices of pro machines are all over the spectrum. They go up to, and likely exceed, $10,000. Apple just isn't interested in competing there. They stick to their markets.
  • Reply 184 of 376
    cbacba Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Yeah, but pay the couple of hundred dollars more and get the mid-level.

(That's what I did.)

Why? is it worth paying £250 for 0.14ghz + 128mb video??
  • Reply 185 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CBA

Why? is it worth paying £250 for 0.14ghz + 128mb video??

And the extra gig of RAM? Did you not hear me before? Yes...
  • Reply 186 of 376
    No thats £250 WITH the extra gig.....still worth it??
  • Reply 187 of 376
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet

I'm guessing the 2GB SODIMMs are thicker or something and it's a space issue... But yeah, 3GB is an odd limit, still it's nice to see any increase in the laptop space. Also, are the 200GB drives on the market yet? If so, it's news to me (good news). I have to wonder how an how much Apple "optimized" for the C2D, considering the so-so speed increase we've seen so far.

The 3GB limit is also in the Merom iMacs. As it has been discussed for them, this is a limitation of the Intel chipset (Actually the chipset can read 4 GB but some of that is needed for lower level functionality, I/O etc.. You can put in 4GB to have perfectly matched pairs of memory chips but the OS will see only a little bit more than 3GB.)
  • Reply 188 of 376
    The base model has only 1 gig. So I'm paying for the RAM, the GPU RAM, and the extra CPU. Yes, it was worth it goddamnit. Stop asking me...
  • Reply 189 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir

The 3GB limit is also in the Merom iMacs. As it has been discussed for them, this is a limitation of the Intel chipset (Actually the chipset can read 4 GB but some of that is needed for lower level functionality, I/O etc.. You can put in 4GB to have perfectly matched pairs of memory chips but the OS will see only a little bit more than 3GB.)

Right. See the Macworld article from today.

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/edit...kram/index.php
  • Reply 190 of 376
    OK OK!! I think you now know that you have made the wrong choice!!
  • Reply 191 of 376
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Great name , Threepwood.

I pulled the trigger this morning on the base model. Sheesh, 4MB of L2 cache -- My G5 towar only has 518K! It should provide teh snap.

Nothing except the base model interested me. Reducing heat is a good thing, with the slightly cooler processor, graphics card, and hard drive than the previous 7200 option. An external drive via FireWire 800 will provide additional space if required.

I could care less about the additional vid memory since all of them can drive a 30" LCD well. Additional memory purchased from Ramseeker.com so as not to delay things further with a BTO change.

Glossy screen. The white looks white and the blacks look black. I've had the matte screens since my Powerbook 145 and it's nice to have something that looks a touch different and new. Many owners love the screen, as opposed to those who have simply taken a look at them for a few minutes or suffered with the PC versions. Reduced side visibility is a good thing, as I don't enjoy strangers reading what I'm doing.

Overall very pleased, but not a huge update.
  • Reply 192 of 376
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

87365K14

Right below the top of the page.

a case would require at least three square feet before being trimmed.

The pricing is the same as in last year's catalog.
  • Reply 193 of 376
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    CBA, how long have you been looking at Apple products? The high end always has a little "juice" premium. You can't just add up what you think the "cost" of the added features is and get the price of the high-end machine. People who want the top of the line will pay a little more and Apple knows it. Hell, people paid $150 for the color black!
  • Reply 194 of 376
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member

That's old news. Appleinsider had an article about this patent (or at least one very similar) ages ago. A laptop with a camera as the latch looks like a pretty ugly concept to me.
  • Reply 195 of 376
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The pricing is the same as in last year's catalog.

Yes. surprisingly so. But they are both high.

The cost of processing the material into a finished product is also high though.

I wouldn't be surprised if a shell for the case for Apple would cost at least a couple of hundred dollars, if not more.
  • Reply 196 of 376
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1

Great timing. Called Sprint today and they say that they'll be rolling out the EVDO ExpressCard, to work with the MBP, on Nov 5th. This along with the current C2D MBP is very tempting not to wait until January's MWSF. Hmmm just over two months... I wonder if I can make it. It's kind of like trying to last that first time...

While I can't say I see much similarity in your comparison , Sprint offering an EVDO ExpressCard sounds sweet! I'll have to jump over to their site and see what the monthly charge/cost of the card is.
  • Reply 197 of 376
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster

"AAPL: 81.05 ( -0.41 )"

Why on earth did it go down on a day when new products were launched? And of course, the assumption is that the MacBooks will be coming soon as well (next Tuesday?).

Because the market was already predicting these upgrades and the consensus was that they had overshot. I, for one, sold Apple shares short yesterday at 81.70 and covered today at $81, so I am quite pleased.
  • Reply 198 of 376
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

It might be an optical illusion. I'm not aware of any current widescreen computer screen that's not 16:10. The widescreen computers that aren't 16:10 are the exception, 16:10 pretty standardized now.

that's all i can figure that, with the smaller size overall, i am just more prone to see the width in the macbooks than the pros. i also couldn't get over the glossy aspect of the macbooks, and am glad you can still get anti-glare for the pros (i can only imagine the headache of the glossy coating in my high-contrast, harsh light office).

well, anyway, enough about my rants on the macbooks. these updates on the pros look sweet.
  • Reply 199 of 376
    Quote:

Yes. surprisingly so. But they are both high.

The cost of processing the material into a finished product is also high though.

I wouldn't be surprised if a shell for the case for Apple would cost at least a couple of hundred dollars, if not more.

I don't know about that site, if i'd had my flight case made using materials from that site, it would've cost about 30x what I paid for it, and carbon bike frames would be around 15-20 grand, but it isn't had to find them for 3000...

Plus, Sony and Acer are using it on their laptops, and at least Sony (the VGN-SZ381P/X) is getting pretty good results, with a pretty damn light and thin notebook (3.7 lbs, .9"thick), and it's basically the same price as their previous line of ultra portable laptops was (3 grand). So, i don't think the cost of materials makes it an impossibility. If other manufacturers can do it, i'm sure Apple can (and better)...
  • Reply 200 of 376
    Man, it's gonna take me forever to read all these posts! Just placed my order today. The gruelling wait is over for me. Now I just need to make sure I cover my credit card limit. Does anyone know when Apple typically charges your credit card? On the ship date? It does not look like they charged my CC quite yet- and order was placed today.....