A closer look at Apple's Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank

Oops. FIrewire 400 to Firewire 800, I mean.

It's too confusing. People will think that as their device connects to 800, that is what they will get, even if their device is a 400 one.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Also, while USB 1 cables will fit USB 2 jacks, they don't work properly.

I don't remember this being a problem. The device might work very slowly being the old standard, but I don't remember any USB 1 device not working on USB 2.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

It's too confusing. People will think that as their device connects to 800, that is what they will get, even if their device is a 400 one.

Those people probably wouldn't notice either.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I don't remember this being a problem. The device might work very slowly being the old standard, but I don't remember any USB 1 device not working on USB 2.

That's not what he said. He said (not entirely clearly) USB 1 cables don't always work in a USB 2 situation. The manufacturers aren't necessarily to blame - a cable built to handle 24MHz signals don't necessarily need to be built to handle an unforeseen 960MHz signal that might be put on it one day. (n.b. I didn't actually look up the signal rates).

A Firewire cable might the same - the implication is that changing connectors prevents this from happening in the first place.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Similarly, internal revisions prevent the keyboard from the new 15-inch model from being used for repairs to the previous model because the caps lock key will fail to function properly.

What changed with the keyboard???
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:

When I said properly, that's what I meant. It will run much slower, because it has to resend packets. I'm talking about connecting two USB 2 devices with a USB 1 cable.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClimbingTheLog

Those people probably wouldn't notice either.

Very likely.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClimbingTheLog

That's not what he said. He said (not entirely clearly) USB 1 cables don't always work in a USB 2 situation. The manufacturers aren't necessarily to blame - a cable built to handle 24MHz signals don't necessarily need to be built to handle an unforeseen 960MHz signal that might be put on it one day. (n.b. I didn't actually look up the signal rates).

A Firewire cable might the same - the implication is that changing connectors prevents this from happening in the first place.

Correct. I thought it was implied from what I had said.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

It sounds like a way for Apple to make more money to me. I think it's ridiculous if changing your hard drive voids your warranty. I'd rather have a noisy hard drive than that. It would actually encourage me to buy the Core Duo or Macbook over the new MBP. Were the drives that noisy in the first place?

Little disk or no little disk unfortunately changing the hard drive yourself has always been a warranty voider.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Little disk or no little disk unfortunately changing the hard drive yourself has always been a warranty voider.

Just the act of swapping the drives doesn't void the warranty. However, they won't cover any damage you do if you screw up, and they won't cover what you put in. It's pretty clear in the warranty terms. Anything else is FUD.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Just the act of swapping the drives doesn't void the warranty. However, they won't cover any damage you do if you screw up, and they won't cover what you put in. It's pretty clear in the warranty terms. Anything else is FUD.

Some Apple service people may deny your warranty if they realised you swapped your hard disk yourself. I don't think that's FUD. An Apple reseller in Malaysia denied swapping our logic board claiming lightning burnt out the modem although clearly the iBook G4 was not used during rainy thunderstorms (of which there are a lot around the equator)...

Australia, Singapore, USA, UK, you could get situations where they might make some claim that you "screwed up" somehow even if it's a minor thing like tape or foil in a slightly wrong place..... More of a consumer rights situation.

Interestingly, the iBook G4 models have very quiet hard disks compared to PC notebooks - the small rubber dampeners that frame it work great.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Apple is freakin' obsessed with fan and hard disk noise, all at the expense of heat. Hope these new MacBookPros don't require lap/genital burning protection.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Cats may be slightly disappointed though if the MBPs are too cool Macs keep pussy warm...
  • Reply 54 of 86
    I wish they would've updated the camera more than they did. Everyone in my office covers up the camera with a post it note because they don't like the camera pointed at them all the time. Its kinda freaky. Kinda like the 1984 book. They should enable a physical device to cover the camera, like a metal slider or something. Does it bother anyone else that there might be a one-way conference going on without your knowledge? Maybe we're just paranoid. Maybe not.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by web proofing

I wish they would've updated the camera more than they did. Everyone in my office covers up the camera with a post it note because they don't like the camera pointed at them all the time. Its kinda freaky. Kinda like the 1984 book. They should enable a physical device to cover the camera, like a metal slider or something. Does it bother anyone else that there might be a one-way conference going on without your knowledge? Maybe we're just paranoid. Maybe not.

The green light comes on when it's in use and you're in an office... it's not like people are naked in front of the camera.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Some Apple service people may deny your warranty if they realised you swapped your hard disk yourself. I don't think that's FUD.

Australia, Singapore, USA, UK, you could get situations where they might make some claim that you "screwed up" somehow even if it's a minor thing like tape or foil in a slightly wrong place..... More of a consumer rights situation.

Maybe they can try to deny service, but their warranty writing is pretty clear on this, at least the US warranty. My understanding of the law is that it's illegal in the US to deny warranty service like that. It's basically the same law that was made to stop automakers from weaseling out of repairing defective cars because you put aftermarket wheels on it or something.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    Quote:

Some Apple service people may deny your warranty if they realised you swapped your hard disk yourself. I don't think that's FUD. An Apple reseller in Malaysia denied swapping our logic board claiming lightning burnt out the modem although clearly the iBook G4 was not used during rainy thunderstorms (of which there are a lot around the equator)...

Interestingly, the iBook G4 models have very quiet hard disks compared to PC notebooks - the small rubber dampeners that frame it work great.

The faster they go, the louder they are.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:

Apple is freakin' obsessed with fan and hard disk noise, all at the expense of heat. Hope these new MacBookPros don't require lap/genital burning protection.

Ever since people complained about the "wind tunnel" G4's.

They must have said that they would never allow that to happen again.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by web proofing

These are pretty dumb people. If they use it even once, they should know that it was on.

They can also read the manual.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Is there any reason I should buy the 17" MBP over the 15" one - other than the larger screen size? In other words, do you get anything else for the additional price? Anything you can't get on the 15" MBP? Thanks!