A closer look at Apple's Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrdcs1

Is there any reason I should buy the 17" MBP over the 15" one - other than the larger screen size? In other words, do you get anything else for the additional price? Anything you can't get on the 15" MBP? Thanks!

Uhh...you could look it up!

Seriously, the only differences are a standard 160GB drive (120 is standard on the 15", I ordered mine with 160 anyway) and an 8X dual layer superdrive (the SD on the 15" is 6X).

That with the screen costs $300 more. Personally I don't think it's worth it. The HD cost me $90 so that leaves at a $200 difference for that screen. My feeling is 17" is just too big anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

Uhh...you could look it up!

Seriously, the only differences are a standard 160GB drive (120 is standard on the 15", I ordered mine with 160 anyway) and an 8X dual layer superdrive (the SD on the 15" is 6X).

That with the screen costs $300 more. Personally I don't think it's worth it. The HD cost me $90 so that leaves at a $200 difference for that screen. My feeling is 17" is just too big anyway.

The 17" also has a 13% higher capacity battery. You get an extra USB port. It's probably not worth it though. You can buy an extra monitor for the price difference.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

The faster they go, the louder they are.

[The 5400rpm hard disk modded into my iBook G4 933mhz] actually is still really queerly quantifiably qualitatively quite quiet 8) Those rubber rings that hold the hard disk in place on the iBook g4 are teh roXX0rs.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by web proofing

I wish they would've updated the camera more than they did. Everyone in my office covers up the camera with a post it note because they don't like the camera pointed at them all the time. Its kinda freaky. Kinda like the 1984 book. They should enable a physical device to cover the camera, like a metal slider or something. Does it bother anyone else that there might be a one-way conference going on without your knowledge? Maybe we're just paranoid. Maybe not.

(edit: removed remarks)
  • Reply 65 of 86
    Quote:

Is there any reason I should buy the 17" MBP over the 15" one - other than the larger screen size? In other words, do you get anything else for the additional price? Anything you can't get on the 15" MBP? Thanks!

You should check the size of the 17" MBP and see if you're comfortable with it, and how consistent the display is (brightness/ contrast/ colors) across the WHOLE screen from edge to edge. Besides this, as noted above, there are some nicer touches for the additional price.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

[The 5400rpm hard disk modded into my iBook G4 933mhz] actually is still really queerly quantifiably qualitatively quite quiet 8) Those rubber rings that hold the hard disk in place on the iBook g4 are teh roXX0rs.

Well, also it depends on the company. Some companies drives are quieter than others. I mean within the same line.

It's the same thing for heat. The Barracuda's were always much hotter than other comparable drives.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    Quote:

After dragging my 17" Powerbook G4 around for more than three years, I just ordered a 15" MBP. I usually fly in economy -- playing with the G4 only really worked in an exit row. I use a 20" Apple display at home as my main screen, so ordering a 15" just seemed like the right thing to do.

Are there tiny post-it notes I can buy to cover just the bezel camera?
  • Reply 68 of 86
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    I think a 17" makes sense if you have to use it professionally. I use it in video and that helps on editing.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfdan

I think a 17" makes sense if you have to use it professionally. I use it in video and that helps on editing.

That happens to be the market it was designed for.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    Quote:

I don't think there are any PC drivers for the iSight in Macintels so even running Bootcamp or virtual machines, this is not an issue.

I've been a bit of an ass in my response,

I think the ass is partially on you this time. There are drivers for the iSight in the bundle. On Apple's own Boot Camp Page:

Boot Camp 1.1.2 beta includes:

...snip...

* Support for built-in iSight cameras

...snip...
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I think the ass is partially on you this time. There are drivers for the iSight in the bundle. On Apple's own Boot Camp Page:

...snip...

...snip...

Ooh. I'm happy I refrained from saying it.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    Quote:

It's the same thing for heat. The Barracuda's were always much hotter than other comparable drives.

Really? I looked up Storage Review's performance database regarding their power consumption, idle and active. Barracuda is mostly in line with several of the Barracuda's competitors. I thought they measured temperature too, but that's probably not tested anymore. I don't expect temperature to be much different with fairly similar packaging.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    Quote:

Really? I looked up Storage Review's performance database regarding their power consumption, idle and active. Barracuda is mostly in line with several of the Barracuda's competitors. I thought they measured temperature too, but that's probably not tested anymore. I don't expect temperature to be much different with fairly similar packaging.

They were HOT! It was a known factor when dealing with them.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

...snip...

...snip...

Fair enough, my boo boo. But what PC programs work with it? MSN Messenger? Other webcam stuff? The drivers and "support" may be there but I am curious how well off-the-fresh-download webcam programs will recognize the iSight.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebProofing

I wish they would've updated the camera more than they did. Everyone in my office covers up the camera with a post it note because they don't like the camera pointed at them all the time. Its kinda freaky. Kinda like the 1984 book. They should enable a physical device to cover the camera, like a metal slider or something. Does it bother anyone else that there might be a one-way conference going on without your knowledge? Maybe we're just paranoid. Maybe not.

My initial response was quite volatile and possibly partially due to my disdain for office/ corporate environments.

Given that Apple has provided WindowsXP2 drivers to access the iSight, yes, it is theoretically possible for some spyware to be written that infects Windows BootCamp on your MacBookPro to access the iSight and transmit to who knows where without your knowledge. However, at the low-level driver access, the greenlight next to the iSight should always come on when the iSight is being accessed, even if by the spyware. Possibly, the list goes on - maybe the spyware can hack the Apple drivers so that the greenlight does NOT come on when it is accessing the iSight without you knowing...

It's a question about how far your paranoia extends, how vulnerable PC Windows is, and how much peace of mind one gets with using a Mac and OS X.

Though I wish you would have a more elegant solution of covering the iSight than using a post-it note! Also without damaging the lens element.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    Quote:

Fair enough, my boo boo. But what PC programs work with it? MSN Messenger? Other webcam stuff? The drivers and "support" may be there but I am curious how well off-the-fresh-download webcam programs will recognize the iSight.

I thought there were APIs to handle that sort of thing. Not only that, Macromedia Flash is multi-platform and it supports webcams, and that support is on by default unless you go to the effort to turn it off.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    Quote:

They were HOT! It was a known factor when dealing with them.

I've been using Barracudas for over four years and really haven't had a heat issue. Do you mean the Seagate notebook drives? Barracudas are desktop drives, the Momentus line is for the notebooks, and I have little to no experience with them.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

Also without damaging the lens element.

That's my point. A nice sliding or covering piece would keep the bezel in a nice aluminum finish instead of having a black focal point in the bezel. No security or privacy issues ever need to be considered. That way you confidently and easily choose when to have a web conference or take other pictures. Hardware can trump software in so many cases.

And yes, your comments were crude. Bringing my wonderful wife into the conversation in a vulgar manner was very unprofessional. Keep the comments on topic.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by web proofing

And yes, your comments were crude...

I apologise, sometimes new users to the forum are unfamiliar with the sometimes crude or off-topic tangents we older users get used to, or specifically, the style of posting I get away with. Not a leet vs. n00b thing, in general I don't like offending people. Though sometimes caustic, my posts are sometimes funny (humourous) once you get used to it.

Anyway, when brought up as offensive to specific posters, I have usually removed my original post, as you see previously it has been edited out. Okay, that said, everyone, do continue.
  • Reply 80 of 86
    Regarding the Hard Disk Noise Dampener

Quote:

For starters, the new MacBook Pro ships with hard drives the come with a metal disk attached to their top cover to dampen hard drive noise. The disk is not removable, meaning replacement drives will need to be ordered directly from Apple until a third-party solution is developed and deployed.

3M has been making that foil for years. I don't think it would be too hard to make your own modification to make the hardware quieter if you need to upgrade your drive.

Here's the link of some foil tape if anyone is interested.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0601413