Apple adds 8GB (PRODUCT) RED iPod nano at $249

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer on Friday quietly introduced an 8GB version of its iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED digital music player, which is now available through the company's online store.

Like other second-generation iPod nanos, the new model includes an aluminum enclosure (in red) and features 24 hours of battery life, Apple's easy-to-use Click-Wheel and a thin and light design.

The player arrives at the same $249 price point as the existing 8GB second-generation iPod nano, which had previously been available only in black.

(PRODUCT) RED products such as the new iPod nano help benefit the (RED) charity created by Bobby Shriver and U2 lead singer Bono, which engages big businesses in the fight against AIDS in Africa.

A portion of the profits from the sale of (RED) products goes directly to the Global Fund to fund programs for women and children affected by the deadly disease.

Apple will contribute $10 from the sale of each 8GB iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED to the Global Fund. The Cupertino, Calif.-based company had previously announced a 4GB version of the player at $199 -- which also generates a $10 donation -- as well as a $25 iTunes (PRODUCT) RED gift card.

"Customer response to the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition has been off the charts," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "We're thrilled to add a second model with 8GB of capacity, enough for 2,000 songs, so customers have yet another choice in supporting this important cause."

The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria was established in 2002, with the support of the world's leaders and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, to dramatically increase resources to fight three of the world's most devastating diseases, and to direct those resources to areas of greatest need by supporting locally-driven strategies.

To date, the Global Fund has committed $5.2 billion (US) to more than 363 programs in 131 countries.

Pricing & Availability

The new 8GB iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED will be available through the Apple Store beginning today and in Apple's retail stores this weekend.. All iPod nano models include redesigned earbud headphones providing superior comfort, fit and sound quality, and a USB 2.0 cable. The second generation iPod nano features up to 24 hours of battery life and completely skip-free playback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Will we see a RED Zune on November 14th?

After all, by November 15th, it will be the best selling DAP in the market.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

You mean, the best-selling player that isn't an iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 42
    Quote:

You mean, the best selling player from Microsoft?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    No need for a RED Zune, they already have their campaign, the BROWN Zune- With every purchase you donate an additional $10 to go to Microsoft to help make them richer, and to go to Balmer so he can scream "We can do it to Project BROWN! Project BROWN! Project BROWN! Project BROWN!" at the next big conference .

Edit: I so want that nano , and it actually helps someone when I buy it.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Macrumors.com picked this up yesterday...so it's old news.

AI: come on you guys are falling behind!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackShadowWolf

No need for a RED Zune, they already have their campaign, the BROWN Zune- With every purchase you donate an additional $10 to go to Microsoft to help make them richer, and to go to Balmer so he can scream "We can do it to Project BROWN! Project BROWN! Project BROWN! Project BROWN!" at the next big conference .

Ahem, you're actually quite nice to Microsoft. I associate much more sinister things with the color brown. My first thought was actually, that MS donates $10 to the brownshirts or some wacky party with black, white and red as their flag colors and usually associated with the political color brown. Over here (Europe), they exist but are essentially illegal. In the States though it's a whole different thing, thanks to free speech.

Oh, and Mr. Hankey is brown. And so is what's left of last night's meal.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Macgyver2 wrote in the forums not two days ago:

"Had Apple made the Product Red iPod in 8GB instead of 4GB, I would have instantly bought at least one and probably three or four (nice to get holiday shopping finished early)."

Well, here's your chance, guy!
  • Reply 8 of 42
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel

Oh, and Mr. Hankey is brown.

You made a poo joke!!!!!11!!!

ABI Research Reveals 58 Percent of iPod Users May Choose Zune

http://www.tmcnet.com/ce/articles/33...-users-may.htm
  • Reply 9 of 42
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Coming soon:

MacBook (PRODUCT) RED.

iMac (PRODUCT) RED.

iPod Shuffle (PRODUCT) RED.

DVD Studio (PRODUCT) RED.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

You made a poo joke!!!!!11!!!

ABI Research Reveals 58 Percent of iPod Users May Choose Zune

http://www.tmcnet.com/ce/articles/33...-users-may.htm

My understanding is that the methodology is a little flawed and the headline is false. It's not really 58% of ipod owners, it's 58% of iPod owners considering buying a new player in the next 12 months. Everyone that had an iPod but was not looking for an upgrade was ignored. Whether there are other problems, I don't know, I didn't look hard at the original survey.

Still, it might be trouble for Apple as this represents potential missed sales.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    is there a chance the red nano will be sold in non apple stores? best buy, circuit city, TARGET...
  • Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

My understanding is that the methodology is a little flawed and the headline is false. It's not really 58% of ipod owners, it's 58% of iPod owners considering buying a new player in the next 12 months. Everyone that had an iPod but was not looking for an upgrade was ignored. Whether there are other problems, I don't know, I didn't look hard at the original survey.

Still, it might be trouble for Apple as this represents potential missed sales.

Yeah, compared to everything else I've been seeing recently, I can't put that much confidence in that survey. Not until I see another two or three that say the same thing.

These stats (assuming they're accurate in the first place) may also shift drastically once the 6G iPod is launched.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

According to the newswires I've read, Microsoft have said that the Zune will not be available in the UK until 2008 as they don't have any content to sell.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK

According to the newswires I've read, Microsoft have said that the Zune will not be available in the UK until 2008 as they don't have any content to sell.

Sounds like a golden opportunity to push out more iPods to more places and induct more countries into the iTunes store.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    I know that $10 is a lot off of the iPod profit Apple is donating and it's pretty awesome what they're doing. I am a little disappointed; however, that the 8GB didn't get just a little boost of a donation, even if it's just $2.50 more (same ratio increase as $199 to $249). But I'm not that disappointed to start some moral debate about charity so let's leave it at that. 8GB (RED) is pretty sweet. If I didn't already have a nano, I'd spring for one right now.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Yes, nice that they didn't inflate the price just for this model.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    While I appreciate the effort, I still don't understand the amount going to the campaign. Given Apple's supposed profit margins, this larger Nano should yield a larger contribution.

I still wouldn't buy one for several reasons: waiting for MWSF07, saving for a large business purchase and I'd rather donate directly.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

is there a chance the red nano will be sold in non apple stores? best buy, circuit city, TARGET...

I seriously doubt it. Apple's stores provide higher profit margin to them (no third-party retailer cut). I think Apple make at least as much profit on a (PRODUCT) RED iPod after charity donation as they do on a normal iPod nano sold through a third-party retailer.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

My understanding is that the methodology is a little flawed and the headline is false. It's not really 58% of ipod owners, it's 58% of iPod owners considering buying a new player in the next 12 months.

And, how many of those surveyed have actually used, held or even seen a real Zune? None, I guess. When they go out and see it, and actually start evaluating the choice, the conversion rate from expectation-to-purchase to actual purchase will be extremely low.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronn

While I appreciate the effort, I still don't understand the amount going to the campaign. Given Apple's supposed profit margins, this larger Nano should yield a larger contribution.

You're assuming they have a larger profit margin on the 8 Gb model than the 4 Gb model. It may be that Apple priced the 8 Gb to have the same profit margin as the 4 Gb one, taking into account the costs of the additional memory chips.