Next MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to the Wikipedia there is still only the current Merom Core 2 Duo chips, and it appears that the next mobile release comes around Q4 2007. Santa Rosa of course will arrive Q2, and pave the way for a faster bus. This will be a hard-sell to consumers, though, and Apple would probably do well to add some innovations and perhaps a case enclosure and model name variation (like MacBook Pro 2, or the like).

Then, when January 2008 MacWorld arrives, Apple will probably take the wraps off new models based on Penryn, and we'll likely see some new screaming fast models, with faster chips, more RAM capacity and larger front-side busses. Like that's a surprise. It could be earlier to hit the pre-holiday shopping season (quite likely).

This is all of course, conjecture, but these facts are curiously leading me to some of these (admittedly, half-baked) conclusions. But boy, if you read some of the upcoming technologies, quad-core processors should make for some interesting Microsoft Word editing.

While every effort has been made to BS about future products, no guarantees can be made for accuracy in these statements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    Good topic, as I was about to start one myself. I know the ink hasn't even dried on the latest updates (hell, the 17-inch MBP has not even begun shipping yet) but I thought I would list the top 10 improvements I would like to see in the next MacBook Pro:

(not listed in order of importance)

1. Better hinge design. I would like to be able to tilt my display back further than 120°. Why not 180° (or close to it) just like almost every other manufacturer?

2. Even display illumination. I would like a uniformly lit display that doesn't suffer from one side brighter than the other.

3. Improved viewing angles. Always a welcome sight on any display.

4. Higher resolution displays. I believe this is coming with Leopard, as the Leopard OS will have support for resolution independence.

5. Better heat dissipation. Even though the Core2 Duos are cooler by nature and by Apple's design tweaks, it still gets toasty at times.

6. User removable hard drive. An absolute must. The internal design is horrible right now; remember how much easier it was replace the hard drive on the Titanium PowerBook G4s? And how come the MacBook has this feature and not the pro models?

7. Magnetic latches. C'mon! Even the consumer-oriented MacBooks have them. What's the hold up? It's a far better mechanism than the latches, from my experience.

8. Improved wireless reception. I think the aluminum is partially responsible for this, but the wireless reception is better on the MacBooks. (Obviously, we will probably also have full support out of the box for 802.11n) Wireless reception may be a tad better on my aluminum PowerBook G4.

9. Better ergonomics. Less harsh edges; more rounded edges. I have marks over my wrists/arms after prolonged use. (This also applies to the MacBook too)

10. Improved keyboard design. I think the keyboard design is mostly OK, but I would like to see some of the computer-controlling features moved off as separate keys (display brightness, volume adjustments, keyboard backlight adjustments, etc.) I would like to be able to use F9, F10, F11, and F12 the same way they are on the desktop keyboards without having to disable computer controls.
  • Reply 2 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I think the keyboard design is mostly OK, but I would like to see some of the computer-controlling features moved off as separate keys (display brightness, volume adjustments, keyboard backlight adjustments, etc.) I would like to be able to use F9, F10, F11, and F12 the same way they are on the desktop keyboards without having to disable computer controls.

You can, just flip a switch in the Keyboard panel of System Preferences.

[Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features]
  • Reply 3 of 95
    Quote:

10. Improved keyboard design. I think the keyboard design is mostly OK, but I would like to see some of the computer-controlling features moved off as separate keys (display brightness, volume adjustments, keyboard backlight adjustments, etc.) I would like to be able to use F9, F10, F11, and F12 the same way they are on the desktop keyboards without having to disable computer controls.

Also, how about *inovative* keyboard design? Especially for power users (no pun intended) who have their left hand firmly planted on the keyboard to take advantage of keyboard shortcuts: how about "Enter" and "Delete" keys left of the tab/caps lock keys, now that extra space is available due to the wide screen formats? I would rarely have to move my hand of the mouse while editing anymore., yum! This was suggested a long time ago by Bruce Tognazini. Why not re-invent something that was never designed with mouse-pointing in mind anyways?

Alternatively, an interactive, stereoscopic eye-tracking screen (using the multi-faceted camera/screen patent, a bunch of infrared diodes in the enclosure and utilizing the programmable unified shader architecture of the built-in video adapter to track the eye movements) would be nice to have, getting rid of the mouse altogether... .

Ah, well.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Good topic, as I was about to start one myself. I know the ink hasn't even dried on the latest updates (hell, the 17-inch MBP has not even begun shipping yet) but I thought I would list the top 10 improvements I would like to see in the next MacBook Pro:

1. Better hinge design. I would like to be able to tilt my display back further than 120°. Why not 180° (or close to it) just like almost every other manufacturer?

2. Even display illumination. I would like a uniformly lit display that doesn't suffer from one side brighter than the other.

3. Improved viewing angles. Always a welcome sight on any display.

4. Higher resolution displays. I believe this is coming with Leopard, as the Leopard OS will have support for resolution independence.

5. Better heat dissipation. Even though the Core2 Duos are cooler by nature and by Apple's design tweaks, it still gets toasty at times.

6. User removable hard drive. An absolute must. The internal design is horrible right now; remember how much easier it was replace the hard drive on the Titanium PowerBook G4s? And how come the MacBook has this feature and not the pro models?

7. Magnetic latches. C'mon! Even the consumer-oriented MacBooks have them. What's the hold up? It's a far better mechanism than the latches, from my experience.

8. Improved wireless reception. I think the aluminum is partially responsible for this, but the wireless reception is better on the MacBooks. (Obviously, we will probably also have full support out of the box for 802.11n) Wireless reception may be a tad better on my aluminum PowerBook G4.

9. Better ergonomics. Less harsh edges; more rounded edges. I have marks over my wrists/arms after prolonged use. (This also applies to the MacBook too)

FWIW

1. Why? Do you actually have the need to extend beyond 120 degrees? I'm sure this could be designed but would it be worth it?

5. Maybe others have had a problem with heat on their C2D MBPs but I haven't so far. I've been surprised at how cool it has been.

7. The one thing that the MB is truely superior in design. I don't like the latches on the MBP, they seem flimsy and ready to break. Magnetic would be way better.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    How about better speakers? The existing speakers although not poor aren't exactly powerful or impressiven in quality; watching a DVD over any sort of background noise is awkward. With the inclusion of front row these machines are becoming more media centric and having been impressed by the wall of sound that hit me in the bose store the other day from the tiny ipod sound dock, i'm sure they could do something.

Other than that easy removal and addition of ram, some clever cooling would be nice. I find I can't put my core duo MBP on my skin after an hour of use, and it's even uncomfortable through jeans. I'm aware this is the price one pays for a slim form factor, and I made the informed decision, so i'm not bitching, but any improvements would be welcome. Similarly, any weight reductions would be gratefully received, and an iSight resolution bump in accordance with the screen resolution bump would be nice; i'm not sure of its exact current specifications but its poor in comparison to the camera on my mobile phone.
  • Reply 6 of 95
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I'd really like to see full 1080p HD support on a 15" MacBook Pro. That'll be:

a) a 15" 1920x1200 LCD (shouldn't be a problem with OS X 10.5's resolution scaling)

b) BluRay or HD DVD player/burner

c) HDMI or UDI video out port

A 17" model with a numeric keypad. There's enough room width-wise.

And how about bigger cursor keys?

How about a built-in SIM slot, antenna and support for high-speed 3G data networks for true wireless connectivity anywhere within reach of a 3G phone network.

A built-in docking bay for iPod Nanos.

How about a build-to-order option for a Flash RAM HD. (But perhaps that's being reserved for an ultra-portable model...)

But I'd settle for a 4-8GB RAM model too. (Does the Santa Rosa chipset support 8GB RAM?)
  • Reply 7 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT

I'd really like to see full 1080p HD support on a 15" MacBook Pro. That'll be:

a) a 15" 1920x1200 LCD (shouldn't be a problem with OS X 10.5's resolution scaling)

I think 10.4's lack of resolution scaling is what is holding Apple back from releasing MacBook Pros with better displays. I don't know if Apple will backlight the next versions with LED instead of CCFL, but that might be another thing in the pike as well.
  • Reply 8 of 95
    How will currently developed applications (read: CS3, Macromedia Studio and Office) be affected by resolution scaling? Window widgets will still remain the same (i.e., larger to accommodate for usability)); I mean, how will this benefit the end user:being able to specify how large your window widgets will be, and having to increase font size to 10pt. (actual) vs. 18 pixel?

While I understand the benefits, this just sounds like a potential mess to me. I would love it, but I think there are some usability hurdles.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    Quote:

I agree! On most laptops you can tilt it back pretty far.

As far as removable hard drives... hahahahahahaha... not going to happen.
  • Reply 10 of 95
    I think the next MacBooks - the ones that will receive a significant redesign - will need to differentiate themselves further from the MacBooks (as I have said in other posts).

If Apple intends on having 2 lines of notebooks - one for consumers and one for Pros - the perfect way to do that is to have the different lines but all have the same screen sizes. So I can get the 13" model in either regular MacBook config. or the 13" MacBook Pro model with a much higher, faster, better, etc. config.

But for sure, we are to have:

-Magnetic lid

lol, looks like that's it.
  • Reply 11 of 95
    Meh. I wasn't impressed by the magnetic closure. If I want my pro machine shut, I want it shut. It seems the magnetic latch could quite easily be opened by non-human (random) intervention. Naw.

MBPs still trump the MBs in every way, for me.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iomatic

Meh. I wasn't impressed by the magnetic closure. If I want my pro machine shut, I want it shut. It seems the magnetic latch could quite easily be opened by non-human (random) intervention. Naw.

MBPs still trump the MBs in every way, for me.

And the current button can't be pushed opened easily?
  • Reply 13 of 95
    I am one who thinks that the feature set should be the thing that differentiates the notebook lines, not the notebook's design. I think that this concept may be what was in mind with the "MacBook" naming convention. I happen to think that there should be a pro and consumer model of each notebook in the same notebook shell, but things like hard drive size and speed, display resolution, and graphics capabilities determine whether or not the notebook has the "Pro" moniker.
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Yes to Higher ram capacity- b3ns0n, it's pretty easy already; not sure how they could make it any easier.

Yes to Mag latch

Fu@# Yeah! to touch screen, like on my gf's laptop.
  • Reply 15 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

And the current button can't be pushed opened easily?

Not really, no; in my experience. There are two actions required to open the MBP, the first of which in all probability difficult on its own: a) push button far enough to disengage latches, and b) pull screen away. Whereas the MB's magnetic latch only requires a simple prying, which in my opinion is easier to do accidentally. YMMV, etc. Magnetic latch is cute; I'm not convinced it's for me. That is all.

As for design, it's integral to the brand, but understand this: design is not decoration. Design is everything; from where the fans are placed for maximum cooling, to the location of the battery, the balance of highest performance and battery life, productivity and usability, and other nuances that pervade the entire unit.

Additionally, I don't see what feature set is lacking currently, in the context that the exterior is somehow the design of an Apple notebook.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    That said, though:

a) Replacement of HDD like the battery. Two safety latches, place in sled-cum-outer casing, et voilÃ*: instant swap.

b) Built in SAS controller. adaptec makes a hybrid SAS/SATA controller for servers currently.

c) More keys, same easy layout. Don't know how-- would be nice not to use function keys (though a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for extended periods is highly recommended).

d) ExpressCard 34? Why not 54 and make it work? What were they thinking? Canon EOS pro bodies are primarily CF-based, and their capacities and speeds currently trump SD. (Of course that will change, but we don't change bodies every year. The 5D and 1Ds Mark II are still being purchased new and are the pinnacle of full-frame goodness).

3) The obvious will come, no doubt: faster clock processors, faster busses, higher RAM and HDD capacities, etc.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

That said, though:

a) Replacement of HDD like the battery. Two safety latches, place in sled-cum-outer casing, et voilÃ*: instant swap.

Agreed.

Quote:

b) Built in SAS controller. adaptec makes a hybrid SAS/SATA controller for servers currently.

Not so sure about this. Seems a bit too obscure.

Quote:

c) More keys, same easy layout.

What? Why? I have yet to see another laptop with a keyboard layout as clean and useful as that of Apple's laptops from the recent years.

Quote:

Don't know how-- would be nice not to use function keys (though a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for extended periods is highly recommended).

To the contrary, I'd love for Apple to make an external version of this, with the same illuminated aluminum keys.

Quote:

d) ExpressCard 34? Why not 54 and make it work? What were they thinking?

There isn't enough space.

Quote:

Canon EOS pro bodies are primarily CF-based, and their capacities and speeds currently trump SD. (Of course that will change, but we don't change bodies every year. The 5D and 1Ds Mark II are still being purchased new and are the pinnacle of full-frame goodness).

Sure, CF won't fit, which is a shame since my camera is CF as well.

Quote:

3) The obvious will come, no doubt: faster clock processors, faster busses, higher RAM and HDD capacities, etc.

Well yes.
  • Reply 18 of 95
    Quote:

Not really, no; in my experience. There are two actions required to open the MBP, the first of which in all probability difficult on its own: a) push button far enough to disengage latches, and b) pull screen away. Whereas the MB's magnetic latch only requires a simple prying, which in my opinion is easier to do accidentally. YMMV, etc. Magnetic latch is cute; I'm not convinced it's for me. That is all.

As for design, it's integral to the brand, but understand this: design is not decoration. Design is everything; from where the fans are placed for maximum cooling, to the location of the battery, the balance of highest performance and battery life, productivity and usability, and other nuances that pervade the entire unit.

Additionally, I don't see what feature set is lacking currently, in the context that the exterior is somehow the design of an Apple notebook.

It's still way easier to accidentally open up the MacBook Pro.

On the MacBook Pro, pushing the button "releases" the screen, and it automatically separates a bit from the computer. Then, it's fairly easy for something to slide in there and scuff things up.

With the MacBook, something would have to actually apply a fair amount of force in that little inset, as opposed to just tapping the button, for it to open. That requires something to physically get stuck in there, which is pretty much impossible.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    The biggest improvement Apple could make to the MBP line is user installable hard drives. I find it completely unacceptable that Apple would put this feature into the MacBook line but exclude it from their Pro models. Are they nuts? If my hard drive dies I should be able to go out, get a new one (or just upgrade for additional capacity) and install it myself. They have already perfected easy installation of hard drives in the XServe, Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac Book. Even the Mac Mini isn't difficult to swap out hard drives. I loath the fact that Apple doesn't make these issues a priority.

Perhaps January will give us a new case and therefore new features to the MBP. I've lost three hard drives in my laptops and I hate not being able to flip down a hatch and replacing it right there.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

It's still way easier to accidentally open up the MacBook Pro.

On the MacBook Pro, pushing the button "releases" the screen, and it automatically separates a bit from the computer. Then, it's fairly easy for something to slide in there and scuff things up.

With the MacBook, something would have to actually apply a fair amount of force in that little inset, as opposed to just tapping the button, for it to open. That requires something to physically get stuck in there, which is pretty much impossible.

I don't think either notebook easily pops open accidentally. But yeah, the latch on the MacBook Pro seems pretty fragile. In fact, when I bought my MacBook Pro, it had a defective latch that just refused to hold on and the screen used to pop open in the case all the time. I had it fixed and it's fine now but there is a bit more space between the screen and the base at the edges than at the center when the lid is shut. All things considered, I definitely think that the magnetic system would be better, specially since the MagSafe adapter works so flawlessly. However, wouldn't having a magnet at the front of the notebook be dangerous for any other electronic devices (such as a cell phone) kept near it? Apple already advises you to keep cell phones and other such devices away from the power port.