Next MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:

1. Why? Do you actually have the need to extend beyond 120 degrees? I'm sure this could be designed but would it be worth it?

If you're over 6' and do any work that involves standing up, like using your MBP for presentations, VJing/DJing or music performance, then yep, a tilt of more than 120 degrees would be great. Also, if you've got one of those tilt thingies so that you don't get carpal tunnel, tilting the screen back further would help.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I want a docking station. Right now I have to connect 5 wires to my MBP and its mildly annoying (power, ethernet, DVI, firewire, usb).

For a real pipe dream I'd like a docking station with 2 PCIe slots and a drive bay. And a nice pony. With an iTablet in the saddlebags. Or a 12" MBP.

Vinea
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Put the ports on the back of the machine so that I can use my mouse without cable interference.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VideoGeek

Put the ports on the back of the machine so that I can use my mouse without cable interference.

i had an iBook g4 a year or so ago and i must say i much prefer having the ports on the back of my pismo. when i eventually get a new mb/mbp (come on HD!)i hope they'll have the ports at the back again....

sennen
  • Reply 25 of 95
    No way. Faster and easier to plug in on the side, for me. Ugly as sin, sure.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    What's ugly about it? Does not look ugly at all.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    The ports don't all have to be moved to the back. It would be nice to have some of them moved to the back, like DVI, for example. That's not going to change until Apple changes that awful hinge design. I think Steve needs get over that hinge design.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    I like the hinge! What's wrong with it? It makes for a much more streamlined look. I think it's so much more attractive than the standard hinge with ports on the back. And I also don't see why 180 degree tilting is necessary. Who REALLY uses their laptop like that???
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Though I don't, some people do.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VideoGeek

If you're over 6' and do any work that involves standing up, like using your MBP for presentations, VJing/DJing or music performance, then yep, a tilt of more than 120 degrees would be great. Also, if you've got one of those tilt thingies so that you don't get carpal tunnel, tilting the screen back further would help.

• Reply 30 of 95
    I just wish the cd drive could be moved to the side. It's hard to eject a disk when you're using your laptop on your lap.
  • Reply 31 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    If you put a dock connector on the bottom of the machine then there is even less mess than putting all the connectors on the back.

Vinea
  • Reply 32 of 95
    I'd take the side then.

I wish I knew where to stick my Apple Remote.

Besides where you're all thinking, you closets!!!
  • Reply 33 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I just wish the cd drive could be moved to the side. It's hard to eject a disk when you're using your laptop on your lap.

Good point.
  • Reply 34 of 95
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    magnetic latch. after having a MB for a couple months and now a MBP, the magnetic latch is much more secure than this crappy hook and hole closure. I can grab the back of the MBP and the thing clicks open. yuck. and user installable hard drives. MBP HD is completely unacceptable in its current remove everything location. wth, its supposed to be a PRO model. The only thing the pro has is the video card and expresscard slot. The rest of it is 2003 and dated in comparison to the 2006 MB.

and i want some way to DOCK this damn pro machine. wth, why do i have to plug in 5 cables every night?
  • Reply 35 of 95
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Since I am one of the very last people on earth to get a MacBook Pro before the upgrade to Core 2 Duos, I'll have to wait and feel like I missed out! This time, though, it was my university's money that was spent on the cusp of "obsolesence". I'm not able to get worked up like sandau over the latch, but I'm still using my Powerbook Al G4 for all my own stuff and cannot really see much of a difference on the normal software.

I am waiting for the NEXT GENERATION!
  • Reply 36 of 95
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Would any of you accept a new Macbook Pro enclosure that was more like the black MacBook, except with a more professional and backlighted keyboard and, of course, a real graphics system, better than that of, say, the X1600? Would you accept that enclosure as "Pro" given a few tweaks like the aforementioned?
  • Reply 37 of 95
    DHagan4755,

I wouldn't accept the MacBook enclosure as a Pro design. What many of us find unacceptable is that Apple would provide valuable features to the consumer laptop and withhold them from the Pro market. I'm of the opinion that the Pro section ought to always be superior in features and functionality. That simply isn't the case now that the new MacBook has been released. While the MacBook remains inferior in many ways, as it should be, it has many features that the MBP ought to have had FIRST. The ability for the user to swap out hard drives is something the Pro models ought to have had long before the consumer model. I hear people say things like, "like we really need these features." and I just cringe. If I'm in the field and need to upgrade to a larger hard drive, I currently need to have a MacBook in order to do that, my MBP is completely lacking this feature and it ought to be remedied in January. I could care less about the cost. As a Pro user, I've got money. I'm completely disappointed in Apple for failing to provide Pro users this functionality before cheaper consumer models.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    "I could care less about the cost. As a Pro user, I've got money."

Do you mean "couldn't care less"? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Krispie, is there any doubt that I didn't get A's in English class? Yes, I couldn't care less about the money. I want the features to be above and beyond those offered to the lower priced consumer model. "Pro" ought to mean something. It ought to me the most features, and all of the features (or superior features) to those of the consumer model. Apple has some explaining to do as to why they are slacking on their Pro models. I'm looking forward to January.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    When it comes to storage, it's rather upsetting that Toshiba is making 100GB 1.8" drives now and yet when it comes to a MBP, we're not even at 300GB internal storage yet, much less 500GB or 750GB drives that would be more appropriate given that more and more professionals are using high definition camcorders and high megapixel cameras that use up far more space than prior generations.

While everyone seems focused on CPU, GPU, and RAM inside the MBP, the slowest part of the whole system in terms of growth is the HD. I hope Apple works seriously to address internal storage in future MBP's.

In other news, it appears that LG is producing laptop OLED screens using less power than their LED counterparts. Perhaps we'll see Apple embrace this technology.