Next MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    I hope June isn't too soon...

What I'd like to see is a slightly more elegant design, like the MacBooks. Not that the Pro looks particularly bad, I just personally prefer the sleek, shiny white MB look as oposed to silver. And I like the way the MB's speakers are hidden, not conspicuously lying out on the keyboard sides. I think that's kinda tacky.

And I agree about the CD slot, it needs to be on one of the sides. What were they thinking? Another MB feature I'd like to see in the Pro. *lol*
  • Reply 62 of 95
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

And I like the way the MB's speakers are hidden, not conspicuously lying out on the keyboard sides. I think that's kinda tacky.

And I agree about the CD slot, it needs to be on one of the sides. What were they thinking? Another MB feature I'd like to see in the Pro. *lol*

I think you're looking at the differences between a 15" and 13" form factor and thinness...

Make a 13" MBP and those speakers will go away. Where the CD slot goes is typically wherever it seems to fit.

Personally, I think a full size expresscard slot would be nice...

Vinea
  • Reply 63 of 95
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Man, some of you guys must have gotten the wrong batch of MBP latches. Mine shuts tight and the button is flush to the front of the case, so you have to really want to depress it to get the lid open. I've never had it come open unexpectedly or against my wishes.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

What are the chances that the next iterative release of the Macbook Pro will have a solid-state hard drive? That would certainly be something worth waiting for, don't you think?

When are we expecting these? Would June be too soon?

Depends on volume.

http://www.dvnation.com/18ssds.html

http://cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0...9272866,00.htm

SanDisk claims notebooks as early as 1st half of 2007. Costs will be $600 over current pricing so expect to pay a premium.

But it sure would be cool.

Vinea
  • Reply 65 of 95
    What do you all think about a laptop design with an emphasis put on lowest weight, thinnest enclosure, greatest battery life, possible, but without a cd/dvd/etc. drive? A USB port.. possibly a firewire port, and that's it. Even have to use bluetooth headphones, if wanted.

I enjoyed a Duo, granted with a dock, as a kid. It was small by the standards of the time, but I wonder how small one could be made now. With bluetooth, and wifi, it would be even easier to live without. I'd assume it would have inferior specs to the rest of Apple's lineup, outside of thin size, and battery life. Could Apple release a "smallest possible" laptop as a bottom of the line machine without harming the rest of their laptop market? Is this what the iPhone is for?

A very small laptop, with current laptop ui, priced between iPhone, and the least expensive MB. Is this feasible?
  • Reply 66 of 95
    Here's what I think is coming based on Macworld and where we are at presently:

Next MacBook Pro — Announced/debuted in late March with a release date for Leopard (late April);

— Shipping with 10.5 Leopard

— Santa Rosa chip set w/faster FSB,etc.

— New high resolution, high PPI display, with resolution independence, and possibly backlit with LED technology

— Adopts some key features from MacBook: removeable hard drive, magnetic latch
  • Reply 67 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Here's what I think is coming based on Macworld and where we are at presently:

Next MacBook Pro ? Announced/debuted in late March with a release date for Leopard (late April);

? Shipping with 10.5 Leopard

? Santa Rosa chip set w/faster FSB,etc.

? New high resolution, high PPI display, with resolution independence, and possibly backlit with LED technology

? Adopts some key features from MacBook: removeable hard drive, magnetic latch

This sounds like a sober & reasonable set of improvements. Apple always provides something with a wow-factor, and in your model it may be the LED backlighting. I would expect it to stay in the same enclosure, and to the ordinary user it wouldn't seem like a big upgrade (similar, perhaps to the jump from MBPCD to MBPC2D). If you could use 4 GB of RAM in it, that would be a big selling point too. I don't know anything about Santa Rosa, but I assume this is so.

Then, maybe my refurbished 2.33 GHz (for which I'm currently saving) would drop a bit in price...
  • Reply 68 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I think you're looking at the differences between a 15" and 13" form factor and thinness...

Make a 13" MBP and those speakers will go away. Where the CD slot goes is typically wherever it seems to fit.

Just because there's extra room to put the speakers on the sides doesn't mean they have to go there...

Maybe Apple wanted bigger speakers to go with a bigger machine? Tho' I don't see the point in that, all laptop speakers give off a crummy sound anyway, regardless of their size. That's what headphones are for. b:
  • Reply 69 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeremiah2911 View Post

Just because there's extra room to put the speakers on the sides doesn't mean they have to go there...

Maybe Apple wanted bigger speakers to go with a bigger machine? Tho' I don't see the point in that, all laptop speakers give off a crummy sound anyway, regardless of their size. That's what headphones are for. b:

True...they could maybe have fit a keypad in there. maybe not the 15" but the 17".

Eh. the only time my speakers get used is playing the occasional movie.

Vinea
  • Reply 70 of 95
    I think it's time for Apple to start offering more models. They are clearly gaining market share, and they could sell enough units to justify more models.

I would like to see a "MacBook Pro Business", with things like a docking station, easily replaceable hard drive and optical drive, and perhaps other things.
  • Reply 71 of 95
    I disagree they need more models; that would confuse the line.

I think the earlier assessment of Dhagan4755 is about correct; June earliest. Solid state? Until it's proven at reasonable price points, you won't see them in anything but the most high-end of laptops. Perhaps Apple, maybe 2008, or October (a typical release month).
  • Reply 72 of 95
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Apple definitely needs a new enclosure with the MacBook Pro for the next revision. Whether we get it or not is a different story.

I am willing to bet you that the big buzz along with Leopard this year will be Final Cut Pro 6 at NAB. If Apple plays their cards right, maybe they will debut the new MacBook Pros at that venue, with them shipping at a future date. Last year, NAB brought us the arrival of the 17-inch variant of the MacBook Pro. NAB is April 14-19. If Apple is debuting a new version of Final Cut Pro, as they have at NAB in the past, this would probably be done on the Sunday night before NAB starts (April 13th). If Steve Jobs has a keynote @ NAB, then we're definitely getting Final Cut Pro + new hardware.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    "Apple definitely needs a new enclosure with the MacBook Pro for the next revision"

What's so wrong with the current one?
  • Reply 74 of 95
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

"Apple definitely needs a new enclosure with the MacBook Pro for the next revision"

Dents to easily.
  • Reply 75 of 95
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    4-years-old. The Intel transition is over. Apple will branch out into new directions now that they have shown customers that the Intel transition went smoothly.

Further, there are tons of problems with the current MacBook Pro design — including, but not limited to, a limited opening angle of the display; inability to easily swap out hard drive and not without voiding warranty; lack of the MacBook's superior magnetic latching system; and LCD backlight issues on some models (most likely due to mediocre Q.C., although it appears as though these newer higher resolution displays might not actually fit well with the enclosure).

Be that as it may, the current models are extremely fast and still a good product for the most part. It's time, however, for Apple to introduce some new revolutionary features, fit and finish to the product line, and to further diversify their product line with less expensive models that are more attractive to users looking for the midrange pricing. It's appalling that Apple's 15-inch notebook starts at $1,999, when competitors like Sony, Gateway, Dell, and HP are offering 15-inch notebooks at $1,299 or less.

Lastly, now that we see what Apple has done with the iPhone, they most certainly could include cellular technology into the MacBooks, like Sony and others have already started doing.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

It's appalling that Apple's 15-inch notebook starts at $1,999, when competitors like Sony, Gateway, Dell, and HP are offering 15-inch notebooks at $1,299 or less.

But also remember that Apple went from a teeny-tiny market share to their current "rising star" status with their current price points. As far as I'm aware, prices haven't changed in the 5 years since I've been a Mac user...and neither have the complaints.

I thought the additional expense was well worth it at the time, and the fact that I'm about to get another is proof that I'd do it again in a second. You get what you pay for. I left the lost world of "IBM-clones/Wintels" when I bought my Powerbook, and my wallet and I still have a pretty darned good relationship.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    saikosaiko Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Its been the same design for too long... its nice, but I'm almost leaning towards the Macbook instead of MBP solely for a breath of fresh air in terms of design. (I currently have a powerbook going on 2 years old. and am looking to upgrade sometime before college starting in september of this year.)
  • Reply 78 of 95
    Enclosure design upgrades are nice, but if ain't broke… right?

The developments under the hood are incredible. For the aluminum models I've had just about every speed level, and the jump from PPC to Intel is exponential. Nothing compares; native apps like Aperture just completely fly. Intel has proven to be a vast improvement over the old architecture, and I think that's where the credit should lie; the fact that Apple has made its OS iterations work on three different chip systems (680x0, PPC, Intel) all quite flawlessly, and developed a migration strategy without losing net customers… I mean that in itself is a bigger accomplishment than any case revision could ever hope to accomplish.

But yeah, improvements are always good.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Those harsh edges on the new laptops suck!!!! Good point DHagan. I was blown away by how awful they are. Something you'd expect from HP or something. EESH they're hurting me right now! Rounded edges would be the biggest deal! And they should definitely hire Tog...having delete only on the upper right does slow me down. And what's the excuse for the MB having removable hard drive and not the MBP? Also bad, another reason I got the MacBook. I will probably upgrade my drive later this year.
  • Reply 80 of 95
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Those harsh edges on the new laptops suck!!!! Good point DHagan. I was blown away by how awful they are. Something you'd expect from HP or something. EESH they're hurting me right now! Rounded edges would be the biggest deal! And they should definitely hire Tog...having delete only on the upper right does slow me down. And what's the excuse for the MB having removable hard drive and not the MBP? Also bad, another reason I got the MacBook. I will probably upgrade my drive later this year.

I'm trying to figure out how I could position my hands on the MBP I'm on so it would "hurt me".

I'm stumped.