Apple slashes prices on Macs and iPods for 24-hour sale

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taoshen1983

Hey Sunil, since you like AAPL as much as I do, why don't you own some shares like your brother is?

'Coz I don't have a few Gs USD lying around like my bro
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

I logged on to the site (specifically the store) at least at six or seven different points today (since I had quite a bit of holiday shopping to do), and not once did Apple's server seem slow or "hammered." This was between 11 AM and 7 PM EDT in the US. I also got on the phone three times to follow up with questions/concerns related to my order(s), and I was HUGELY impressed by how quickly I got thru to a live person from Apple each time.

I did not experience anything close to what you are talking about.

Are you sure it was not a problem with your ISP? (The only reason I ask is because of your deduction from the experience that ".....it's going to be huge for AAPL").

Cool. It could be that my ISP sucks but generally it's quite alright (Exetel Australia). I did see the "store is down" "pretty version" page for a while, say, 5 hours ago. Before the "pretty version" came on it was just a single line of text - something like "caution - not loading" or something like that. The servers and customer care are being hammered, no doubt about it. It *is* impressive that Apple US was prepared for today. Servers needed a bit of re-jigging though about 5 hours ago for maybe 15minutes or so. I place it around 4/5PM Pacific, 7/8PM Eastern.....
  • Reply 43 of 66
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii

Most of those are very modest discounts, I wouldn't exactly call it "slashing."

I just got to the thread. I was going to post that.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER

THIS SUCKS...i purchased 2 macbooks and a nano yesterday, hmmm i wonder if they would give me the discount. have they done this before...others on this forum said no....hmmm history is changing me-lassies.

There was plenty of notice for this sale.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

Store is getting hammered at the moment (US Store shows "Can't connect to application instance")

There we go. 11:50AM Aust. Eastern which is 4:50PM US Pacific/ 7:50PM US Eastern.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:

I go pack my golf bag now for this weekend. W000t!1!!

So, what are you now, Malaysian, or Australian?
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Quote:

Apple store US Down. Message:: "We'll be back soon" ... Either mad ass demand or new products???? Heh. Sweeeeet. 8)

There we go, part two. 11:54AM Aust. Eastern, 4:54PM US Pacific/ 7:54PM US Eastern.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

I logged on to the site (specifically the store) at least at six or seven different points today (since I had quite a bit of holiday shopping to do), and not once did Apple's server seem slow or "hammered." This was between 11 AM and 7 PM EDT in the US. I also got on the phone three times to follow up with questions/concerns related to my order(s), and I was HUGELY impressed by how quickly I got thru to a live person from Apple each time.

I did not experience anything close to what you are talking about.

Are you sure it was not a problem with your ISP? (The only reason I ask is because of your deduction from the experience that ".....it's going to be huge for AAPL").

My daughter and her friend went to Apple Friday. The Store in GM Plaza, here in NYC. She has a keyboard with non working volume keys.

The line outside the store was long. They finally did get in.

They gave her a new keyboard with no sale receipt. Her friend did buy something. The wait at the counters took a while.

I'm assuming the store was doing pretty good business for such small discounts.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

I logged on to the site (specifically the store) at least at six or seven different points today (since I had quite a bit of holiday shopping to do), and not once did Apple's server seem slow or "hammered." This was between 11 AM and 7 PM EDT in the US. I also got on the phone three times to follow up with questions/concerns related to my order(s), and I was HUGELY impressed by how quickly I got thru to a live person from Apple each time..........I did not experience anything close to what you are talking about..................

Downtime Event

According to the logs (well, posts on this thread), the Apple Store US went down about

4:50PM US Pacific/ 7:50PM Eastern with "Can't connect to application instance"

At 4:54PM US Pacific/ 7:54PM Eastern the "We'll be back soon" "pretty page" came up.

Downtime Length

Downtime is estimated to have been for 15minutes or so.

markw10 reports in post above Apple Store came back at 5:08 PM US Pacific/ 8:08 US Eastern

So between 11AM and 7PM US Eastern things were okay. 7:50PM US Eastern was when servers got overloaded or they needed to quickly go offline to prevent longer downtime down the line.

F**K, we're such geeks, man............
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

So, what are you now, Malaysian, or Australian?

Well, Malaysian citizen and passport, Australian permanent residency. Ex US-Visa J1 (internship), Ex US-Visa H1 (work)....... I can't become a citizen of Australia because Malaysia will deactivate my Malaysian citizenship. Why can't we all have some sort of "United Nations" passport? If only the UN actually *worked* then it would be useful

Best answer to your question, I am a child of the British Commonwealth...!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Commonwealth

"Although Queen Elizabeth is the Head of State of sixteen members of the Commonwealth, called Commonwealth Realms, the majority of the members of the Commonwealth have their own, separate Heads of State: thirty-one members are Commonwealth republics and six members have their own monarchs (Brunei, Lesotho, Malaysia*, Samoa, Swaziland, and Tonga). These members still recognise the Queen as Head of the Commonwealth."

*Malaysia is technically a constitutional monarchy quote-unquote democratic country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Monarchy

"The Commonwealth is not a political union, and does not allow the United Kingdom (UK) to exercise any power over the affairs of the organisation's other members. Every four years the Commonwealth's members celebrate the Commonwealth Games, the world's second-largest multi-sport event after the Olympic Games."

"The three largest Commonwealth nations by area are Canada at 3.8 million square miles, Australia at 3.0 million square miles, and India at 1.2 million square miles."

Note on Australia:

Technical Hierarchy of Government, top down:

- Queen Elizabeth II

- Governor-General Michael Jeffery

- Prime Minister John Howard

(Australia is actually a Constitutional Monarchy democratic country, but notice the Governor-General (Australian) is higher up than the Prime Minister. There is no President. Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Australia, a role that is distinct from her position as monarch of the other Commonwealth Realms., though her role is highly limited in practice. About 5-10 years ago there was a movement to make Australia a republic with both a President and Prime Minister, and there was active debate between "Monarchists" and "Republicans")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...nwealth_Realms

"Contemporary Commonwealth Realm republican sentiment tends to be quite different in nature from the sentiment in countries that abolished the monarchy at or shortly after independence. The remaining realms [such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand] have shared the Crown for much longer, in some cases over a hundred years. The debate in such countries is thus more complicated, in terms of both the political and cultural ramifications that a change to the status quo could bring. There are varying arguments by republicans in each modern Realm for the abolition of their monarchy."
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:

Well, Malaysian citizen and passport, Australian permanent residency. Ex US-Visa J1 (internship), Ex US-Visa H1 (work)....... I can't become a citizen of Australia because Malaysia will deactivate my Malaysian citizenship. Why can't we all have some sort of "United Nations" passport? If only the UN actually *worked* then it would be useful

Best answer to your question, I am a child of the British Commonwealth...!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Commonwealth

"Although Queen Elizabeth is the Head of State of sixteen members of the Commonwealth, called Commonwealth Realms, the majority of the members of the Commonwealth have their own, separate Heads of State: thirty-one members are Commonwealth republics and six members have their own monarchs (Brunei, Lesotho, Malaysia*, Samoa, Swaziland, and Tonga). These members still recognise the Queen as Head of the Commonwealth."

*Malaysia is technically a constitutional monarchy quote-unquote democratic country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Monarchy

"The Commonwealth is not a political union, and does not allow the United Kingdom (UK) to exercise any power over the affairs of the organisation's other members. Every four years the Commonwealth's members celebrate the Commonwealth Games, the world's second-largest multi-sport event after the Olympic Games."

"The three largest Commonwealth nations by area are Canada at 3.8 million square miles, Australia at 3.0 million square miles, and India at 1.2 million square miles."

Note on Australia:

Technical Hierarchy of Government, top down:

- Queen Elizabeth II

- Governor-General Michael Jeffery

- Prime Minister John Howard

(Australia is actually a Constitutional Monarchy democratic country, but notice the Governor-General (Australian) is higher up than the Prime Minister. There is no President. Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Australia, a role that is distinct from her position as monarch of the other Commonwealth Realms., though her role is highly limited in practice. About 5-10 years ago there was a movement to make Australia a republic with both a President and Prime Minister, and there was active debate between "Monarchists" and "Republicans")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...nwealth_Realms

"Contemporary Commonwealth Realm republican sentiment tends to be quite different in nature from the sentiment in countries that abolished the monarchy at or shortly after independence. The remaining realms [such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand] have shared the Crown for much longer, in some cases over a hundred years. The debate in such countries is thus more complicated, in terms of both the political and cultural ramifications that a change to the status quo could bring. There are varying arguments by republicans in each modern Realm for the abolition of their monarchy."

Well, I guess you can always get an international drivers license.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, I guess you can always get an international drivers license.

Got one ...That's how I'm cruising around here in Australia when we're able to borrow a friend's car or somethin'. OK going off-grid from tonight, weekend trip... See y'all on the flipside.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    I ordered a black macbook yesterday. Everything went Very smooth, and I was able to talk to a person after waiting about 3 min on the phone. This was at 3:30. Cant wait for my macbook, as the G4 iMac is starting to fall behind.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Quote:

But only if there is an Apple Retail store physically located in state, o/w there should be no sales tax (at least, that is the norm for all e-retailers; unless Apple is different).

I moved from Minnesota to Arkansas and find that even though Apple does not have a retail store in Arkansas they still charge sales tax. Of course, knowing most states, they are fighting very hard to have online retailers collect and send sales (use) tax to the states. Most online retailers are not collecting sales (use) tax and the U.S. Congress, so far, has not supported taxing online sales, at least at the federal level and they have not been inclined to push collection of sales tax. It's pretty confusing. Of course, if Apple wanted to put a retail store here in Mountain Home, AR, I would be more than happy to pay the sales tax.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Sorry mate, but this makes sense. Companies hardly, if ever, allow double-ups on promotions. 8)

one exception (sorta): educational store refurbs.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    my mb shipped today purchased thurday, given the friday discounts yo baby

in a few days i will be FREE OF WINBLOZ
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Well I had the macbook shipped to my school address, and Apple cant do that. Today I got an email saying that there was a problem, call .... . Called them and had them cancel the order, thought id just go buy a macbook from the woodland apple store. Check my balance, and apple has taken funds out of my checking acct. Called apple, they say my bank has it, WTF..i just want a new laptop. Tommrow going to be calling bank to see where the hell the money is. Then i guess ill order it again.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    I can't believe I ordered my Macbook on Friday. I just assumed the sale would be in the US only. I called Apple Australia today and they said I can return my Macbook if I don't open it for a full refund, then order again on the 1st of December.

So basically I'll get my Macbook tomorrow, send it back unopened, buy the exact same model again on the 1st, then get the exact same machine It'd be so much easier for both of us if I could just get them to give me a bit of cash back!
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Well it seems like I don't have to bother - this page says I can just get them to fix up the difference