Apple's iTV may extend "beyond streaming video"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    you didn't think frontrow was designed for the macbook and imac, did you?

iTV = frontrow for your HDTV. save on the drive or stream from your computer.

if it's a DVR + wireless N router i'm in heaven...

but won't apple have to add buttons to their precious remote to use DVR?

i love the instant replay on my tivo. can't give that up.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sak

Will the iTV require a "N" wireless card? If so can current Mac's with AirPort Extreme cards upgrade to a "N" wireless card?

Obviously it won't require an N card. It just might make streaming more reliable though. However, I think a lost of people ignore the fact that the computer you're streaming from is probably connected to your router with a wire (If you're buying an iTV to stream from a laptop, you're an idiot, buy an S-video adapter/cable for your laptop). So really you'd just need a wireless n router.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    AT&T offers a service called "Homezone" which uses 2WIRE products.

Of course, it has an ugly interface you'd expect from most companies outside Apple. Microsoft's Media Center even does a better job.

I hope that Apple's iTV will do more than play content that's in the next room on my iMac, I'd much rather see an offering that allows my home / office to be remotely accessed such as what is possible today with Sling Media.

1. You attach a Sling Box to your cable / satellite tv at home / work

2. Attach your broadband network to Sling Box

3. Access your Sling Box from anywhere that has a broadband connection

So, if you live in Sunnyvale, CA, you can travel to Chicago and still watch the local news in Silicon Valley or San Francisco. Or, you can travel to Tokyo and watch not only the news from back home, but any of your satellite / cable channels, as well as content on your DVR. I'm sure that you could even hook-up a camera to see your wife and kids at home if you wanted to as well.

Anyhow, I think this is much cooler than watching a slideshow of the photos on my iMac in the next room, or listening to the music from my iMac on my television. I mean AirTunes pretty much already does that.

So, I'm still hopeful that Apple has something more up their sleeves. Otherwise, iTV will be as popular as oh, say the iPod Hi-Fi.

As for portable movies, a true video iPod already exists as well. Its called "PocketDish" from DishNetwork. PocketDish allows users to sync their DVR content and take it with them. So, record Spiderman for the kids, sync it, and go on that road trip. The largest PocketDish has a 7" LCD (480x234 pixel resolution) and sells for $399.

Please help support industrial hemp: Global Hemp Store
  • Reply 24 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

You might even be optimistic in that.

It would more likely use 1.8" drives.

Any claim that there will be a hard drive is speculation though I think it might need one to justify the price. I don't think a 2.5" drive is out of the question, I think they might be cheaper too.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85

I doubt it will reqire an 802.11n card to stream music, but maybe to stream video... \

G works well for video, if you can get a strong connection, it can even do HD streams.

N will likely enable doing same over longer distances and more resilience to interference.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sak

Will the iTV require a "N" wireless card? If so can current Mac's with AirPort Extreme cards upgrade to a "N" wireless card?

All new Mac's for the past while have 802.11n.
  • Reply 27 of 75

Quote:

Apple has already acknowledged that the device will also be capable of streaming photos, music and podcasts. But during the meeting it also hinted at additional features such as an "internal hard disk drive for storage" and "advanced user interface software.

What a relief! I thought they were going to release it with a Zune-like user interface!
  • Reply 28 of 75
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

However, I think a lost of people ignore the fact that the computer you're streaming from is probably connected to your router with a wire.

The Computer/iTV connection has little to do with the router connection.

Quote:

If you're buying an iTV to stream from a laptop, you're an idiot, buy an S-video adapter/cable for your laptop.

Seeing as wireless connection is iTV's big selling point whether its from a desktop or laptop doesn't make much difference. If you want to run a wire between computer/iTV ethernet is a far better option than S-video.

Quote:

Any claim that there will be a hard drive is speculation though I think it might need one to justify the price. I don't think a 2.5" drive is out of the question, I think they might be cheaper too.

Seeing as Disney CEO's original comments about iTV having a HDD spread all over the internet. He did not later retract his statement as an error. Now in a meeting with Apple CFO and Apple VP of iPod marketing again alludes to an HDD. I think its a pretty good bet.

A 2.5 drive is fine with me, I'm just saying a 1.8" is just as possible.

As far as the price we still don't know exactly what processor iTV will use that could also contribute to the price.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by globalhemp

As for portable movies, a true video iPod already exists as well. Its called "PocketDish" from DishNetwork. PocketDish allows users to sync their DVR content and take it with them. So, record Spiderman for the kids, sync it, and go on that road trip. The largest PocketDish has a 7" LCD (480x234 pixel resolution) and sells for $399.

Only if you buy the uber expensive DVR from DISH.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    There is a huge interest by content providers (cable, networks, movie distributors, etc.) in utilizing the iTV(Front Row) interface to bring content to viewers.

Apple has a huge opportunity to bring even more content providers to their game. That's where I see iTV with a huge potential. Imagine companies like NBC, FOX, Warner, etc. have their own "channel" on iTV using front row to show and sell their content. I think is very doable.

iTV will evolve into something much bigger IMHO than what Steve previewed. The potential is endless.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

"Apple noted that it has a number of products currently in development that are likely to be introduced over several years."

I can just smell Apple TV in there.

"..but increased his 12-month price target on Apple shares from $94 to $100."

Does he mean the 12 months ending with the March quarter? If he does, and Apple releases iTV, iPhone and Leopard by then - then he may be $20 under (at least).

He means what he said, by December 2007.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Boo on itv using 2.5" drives, no way that thing looks big enough for a 3.5"

Nothing wrong with 2.5" drives they are now up to 200 GB, and will continue to get larger.

I think the idea is to keep your collection stored on your computer drive anyway.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Apple has not confirmed that iTV will use "N". But it makes much more sense that they will use "N"" and would be pretty dumb to use "G".

Airport Extreme card currently in your Mac will work on an "N" network but it will be slower and use less bandwidth.

When the "N" specification is formally introduced I would suspect Apple will provide new Airport cards for older Macs.

Apple will PROVIDE them, but not for free. But you won't have to buy new airport cards if you don't want to... you just won't be taking advantage of N if you don't.

Also, a while back I posted a long thread about what a media box from apple would be like. And as the evidence rolls in, it seems like it is getting closer to what I first suggested. The internal hard drive would be a major plus. This way in interruption in network connection while watching a video isn't a problem because the movie can be pre-streamed to the hard drive so that when a interruption occurs, it keeps playing the video that is temporarily stored on the hard drive, and it continues streams when the connection is restored. But more importantly, it can act as a DVR.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple will PROVIDE them, but not for free. But you won't have to buy new airport cards if you don't want to... you just won't be taking advantage of N if you don't.

Oh yes of course I didn't mean they would be free.

Thinking about it again though. I'm not so sure Apple will provide newer Airport cards for old Macs. It would be much more lucrative for people to buy new computers.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Boo on itv using 2.5" drives, no way that thing looks big enough for a 3.5"

You think it looks big enough for a 3.5, but it's not. The stated size of the iTV is thinner than a typical 3.5" drive.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    I think iTV will have internal storage because it's the new mini.

I have setup all my audiophile gear with Airport express and a mac mini, and... it just doesn't do the task. Why ?

1- The mini is a storage device but not a music component.

It has to be attached to a monitor and have a keyboard and mouse . It's a computer.

2- The airport express doesn't have infrared command,

3 The Airport Express needs a monitor and a remote.

Put it all together and you have the iTV .

- Remote so you can point at it and control iTunes and other media.

- Video out so you can attach a small monitor to control Front Row or a big plasma so you can watch movies

- Storage so that you can store not only all your music library but also cache the incoming media movies from the internet.

Not only that but I think the iTV will also be a media Redirector, in the sense that you will allow yout to stream audio to Airport Express X and stream video to iTV Y and also stream photos to iTV Z. This would be truly awesome.

Of course, the New Front Row or whatever it will be called will be FAR MORE POWERFULL than it's current iteration. It will be a true media OS.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

He means what he said, by December 2007.

By the way that comment was altered by AI after I commented on it, they added that part.

So let me get this straight, a wall street analyst thinks Apple's shares will be worth $100 by December 2007? When they are worth about $92 now.

I guess he means after the split, right?
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

The likelihood that you will be able to install a wireless card with N support in most Macs, prior to the current iMacs, Macbooks and Macbook Pros, is close to nil. The lack of a pre-installed third antenna is the problem.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Yah, I would keep dreaming, I'd like it too, but it completely goes against the whole idea of purchasing and downloading from iTunes.

Honestly, HD-DVR would be about the only thing that would compel me to buy this thing.

How would DVR be different from Itunes? I can still rip my on Cds as well as import MP3's from other sites.

It's not like the new hotness is on broadcast television anyway (movie wise), and people would still have to buy previous seasons of current series in order to have them in broadcast order

Aaron
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Check out this thread I started a little over a month ago raising this exact question and offering a bit of speculation of my own. I definitely am not saying I got this prediction right, but it is pretty cool to see a group of mac lovers get together think through some issues with good old deductive reasoning and once and a while get it (somewhat) right before the analysts and media.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=67715

To all who contributed to that threat thanks! I might suggest posting on that thread if you want to offer some cool thoguhts or speculation about iTV as we already have about 70 posts.