Apple's iTV may extend "beyond streaming video"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

I have setup all my audiophile gear with Airport express and a mac mini, and... it just doesn't do the task. Why ?

1- The mini is a storage device but not a music component.

It has to be attached to a monitor and have a keyboard and mouse . It's a computer.

The TV can be the monitor. Once it's set up, does it really need a keyboard and mouse? I could have sworn that I had them disconnected and the computer worked just fine and use the remote to control Front Row. An iTV will still need a TV because it does not have a display.
  • Reply 42 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Nothing wrong with 2.5" drives they are now up to 200 GB, and will continue to get larger.

I think the idea is to keep your collection stored on your computer drive anyway.

With the size of a TV Show on iTunes being around 800 MB I think I'll need something much bigger than the drive in my computer. I'm already maxed out. Apple needs to sell a small XServe type thing with RAID, etc. for home users.
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

With the size of a TV Show on iTunes being around 800 MB

A spot check shows that several of the 20 min episodes are running about 250MB.
  • Reply 44 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

A spot check shows that several of the 20 min episodes are running about 250MB.

Well the shows I've been buying are usually around 40 to 50 minutes long and now that they are higher resolution than before the size of each file is about 800 MB. However, even at 250 MB each my drive space will still be rapidly eaten up. Not to mention that when it's on a single drive it is vulnerable to being lost by drive failure, etc. Don't you see the need for a device on the "home network" with RAID, remote synching, etc. so that all of us iTunes/digital hub folks can secure our precious content, including files other than those purchased on iTunes?????
  • Reply 45 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Oh yes of course I didn't mean they would be free.

Thinking about it again though. I'm not so sure Apple will provide newer Airport cards for old Macs. It would be much more lucrative for people to buy new computers.

I don't think they have ever done that. If they have, it was a while ago.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

By the way that comment was altered by AI after I commented on it, they added that part.

So let me get this straight, a wall street analyst thinks Apple's shares will be worth $100 by December 2007? When they are worth about $92 now.

I guess he means after the split, right?

Yeah, I realized that later.

Well, look at this year.

If at the beginning of January 2006, with Apples' price in the mid 80's, an analyst had said that Apple would reach 93 near the end of the year, you would also have thought him nuts. Right?

No one, but no one, can predict anything other than what they can figure out from the numbers.

When we look at Apple's price, we think in terms of a popularity contest, and figure out what the price will be from how we see it moving now.

That's not what they do.

To simplify it, so that it doesn't take up several pages; They go by the numbers.

They look at what they think the gross sales will be. They then look at gross margins, then net margins.

They look at the P/E. Right now, Apple's P/E is about 40. That's pretty high. My broker, for example, would feel better if it were 25. Industrial stocks are usually closer to 10.

So we can figure the price from there. If the years profit per share, in Apple's case, as they have about 900 million shares outstanding, will be $3.50, with a P/E of 25 the stock should be trading at $87.50. If the analyst figures that Apple's P/E is historically higher, at, say, 30, and he is comfortable with that, his prediction will be $105.

If Apple makes more than $3.50 per current numbers of shares, the price will go up as well, even with a lower supposed P/E.

An industrial company, with that same $3.50, would be expected to have a stock price of about $35.

Google's, currently, is about 60, which is thought to be unsustainable, and around the number of the computer IPO's in the late '90's.

Apple's was also around 60 back then, which is why the price fell so far after the market collapsed in 1999-2000. Apples price was at about $150 when it split back then.
  • Reply 47 of 75
    Quote:

The TV can be the monitor. Once it's set up, does it really need a keyboard and mouse? I could have sworn that I had them disconnected and the computer worked just fine and use the remote to control Front Row. An iTV will still need a TV because it does not have a display.

JeffDM ...Yes, but... You really need a mouse and keyboard to operate iTunes, create and manage playlist and all the settings, software updates etc, etc... you cannot do without a keyboard and mouse.

I have a micro foldable bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse and still I need to whip them out every once in a while. And Front Row lacks a LOT of features, so...

1-Now imagine that if you want a Super Airport Express you just get a iTV and a small 8 Inch monitor....and voilá.

A remote Media manager anywhere in the room. Plug the your beloved audio gear ...If Front Row is powerful enough you can attach this to your audiophile gear - Dac- Pre- Amp- Speakers. Just point your Nevo SL ( That I have emulating Apple Remote ) to this setup and your music flows. and It will look like a small audio source..stackable and with color monitor .

2- Now imagine that for Movies. Just plug ANOTHER iTv to your huge plasm or projector and voilá.

A high end Movie player, TV (and DVR in the future ? ) And again you can control the media stored in iTunes or any mac, just pointing the same remote to this iTV...

It would be really cool. I know I will be needing at least 3 iTvs, but that´s just me.
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Quote:

Well the shows I've been buying are usually around 40 to 50 minutes long and now that they are higher resolution than before the size of each file is about 800 MB. However, even at 250 MB each my drive space will still be rapidly eaten up. Not to mention that when it's on a single drive it is vulnerable to being lost by drive failure, etc. Don't you see the need for a device on the "home network" with RAID, remote synching, etc. so that all of us iTunes/digital hub folks can secure our precious content, including files other than those purchased on iTunes?????

The files I checked were the new higher resolution. It might be nice to have some form of external storage, it may be a good idea for them. I don't need it to be an Apple branded product though.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:

With the size of a TV Show on iTunes being around 800 MB I think I'll need something much bigger than the drive in my computer. I'm already maxed out. Apple needs to sell a small XServe type thing with RAID, etc. for home users.

Firewire now for bayless machines. You can buy a 500 GB drive in a Firewire/USB 2 case for less than $200.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Quote:

The files I checked were the new higher resolution. It might be nice to have some form of external storage, it may be a good idea for them. I don't need it to be an Apple branded product though.

The storage device really should be designed by or at least blessed by Apple to ensure full compatibility with filesystems and network protocol. I tried using both Windows and FreeBSD to build a NAS and had all kinds of trouble with long filenames, special characters, metadata being stripped off in the copy process, etc.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    Quote:

Yes, but... You really need a mouse and keyboard to operate iTunes, create and manage playlist and all the settings, software updates etc, etc... you cannot do without a keyboard and mouse.

I have a micro foldable bluetooth keyboard and bluetooth mouse and still I need to whip them out every once in a while. And Front Row lacks a LOT of features, so...

The media didn't need to be on the mini itself though, it will attach to another iTunes library, very much the way that I think iTV will. I don't know if iTV will get a lot of features that Front Row doesn't have.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    Quote:

Firewire now for bayless machines. You can buy a 500 GB drive in a Firewire/USB 2 case for less than $200.

I know, that is what I am using now. But I'd rather have something on my Gigabit network so I don't have to plug a firewire cable into my laptop all the time, and so the files are available for my family when I'm gone with my laptop.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Quote:

The media didn't need to be on the mini itself though, it will attach to another iTunes library, very much the way that I think iTV will

Sorry I didn´t get that... The iTV will attach to multiple or selectable iTunes lybraries ? Is that it ?

Or do you mean that the iTV will read the library to it´s own storage ?

Either way I think , better, I am sure Front Row in the iTV will be a BIG UPGRADE to its current iteration.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

You can buy a 500 GB drive in a Firewire/USB 2 case for less than $200.

Where? Probably only FW400, maybe with an Oxford 911 1394A bridge?

I noticed some 500GB bare drives on sale for $149 the other day but most still seem hovering around $200.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    Quote:

Sorry I didn´t get that... The iTV will attach to multiple or selectable iTunes lybraries ? Is that it ?

Or do you mean that the iTV will read the library to it´s own storage ?

Either way I think , better, I am sure Front Row in the iTV will be a BIG UPGRADE to its current iteration.

Front Row does attach to libraries on other computers, you pick the computer and you are in.

There's no confirmation that iTV will have its own storage. Apple hasn't said so and the quote from the dude at Disney was vague at best.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    Quote:

The storage device really should be designed by or at least blessed by Apple to ensure full compatibility with filesystems and network protocol. I tried using both Windows and FreeBSD to build a NAS and had all kinds of trouble with long filenames, special characters, metadata being stripped off in the copy process, etc.

There are a number of NAS's that work with X out of the box.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    Quote:

I know, that is what I am using now. But I'd rather have something on my Gigabit network so I don't have to plug a firewire cable into my laptop all the time, and so the files are available for my family when I'm gone with my laptop.

Ok, you didn't specify. But I posted a response to your earlier post about that.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

Where? Probably only FW400, maybe with an Oxford 911 1394A bridge?

I noticed some 500GB bare drives on sale for $149 the other day but most still seem hovering around $200.

Almost everywhere. you don't need 800 for most things, and it doesn't give the big speedup that most people seem to think it does.

When they're not on sale, they are a bit more, but when they are, $200 is what I've seen. Try here:

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...al-Hard-Drives
  • Reply 59 of 75
    Quote:

Front Row does attach to libraries on other computers, you pick the computer and you are in.

There's no confirmation that iTV will have its own storage. Apple hasn't said so and the quote from the dude at Disney was vague at best.

Right!
  • Reply 60 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

All new Mac's for the past while have 802.11n.

by "past while" have you got a date? and what even the minis?

im asking cos my plan is to stick this mini under the TV pretty soon

where does one look to find out this info?