Apple's iTV may extend "beyond streaming video"

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

by "past while" have you got a date? and what even the minis?

im asking cos my plan is to stick this mini under the TV pretty soon

where does one look to find out this info?

Ireland's being a bit disingenuous with his post.

Macs that have shipped with N-capable wireless chipsets are the Core 2 Duo iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook. The Core Duo versions of these models are not capable of using an N-capable wireless card due to the lack of an integrated 3rd antenna.
  • Reply 62 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution

Ireland's being a bit disingenuous with his post.

Macs that have shipped with N-capable wireless chipsets are the Core 2 Duo iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook. The Core Duo versions of these models are not capable of using an N-capable wireless card due to the lack of an integrated 3rd antenna.

thanks for that

but BALLS! oh well, i can still stick this mini under the TV plonk a 400GB external drive on it and have fun!

i wouldnt say Ireland was being disingenuous in a bad way.. more that he's just flush with apple love... no bad thing really i do like his posts a lot, usually brighten my day he musta found a Kool aid spring up in the hills
  • Reply 63 of 75
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Nothing wrong with 2.5" drives they are now up to 200 GB, and will continue to get larger.

I think the idea is to keep your collection stored on your computer drive anyway.

Yeah but the 200gb drives are expensive I doubt a unit at 299 would come with one. Also I don't wanna keep my media on my computer drive anymore, I hope I can attach an external drive to the itv and hide it in the cabinet or behind the setup so both my computer and itv can read and save media to that. I'd be pretty cool to have an external hidden away attached to itv with two 750gb drives in it. If it could be read through itv then over network my computer can make playlists and stuff and itv can read from it and save stuff from my computer straight to it without it being the kind of external that's made for networks.

Maybe apple could make some kind of pimp looking enclosure to go along with it, one that is idiot proof for the average joe to instal whatever hds they want (not that current enclosures are complicated, I know my mom probably wouldn't deal with current enclosures) then suckers silly enough to buy the drives from apple would pay a premium on even the hard drives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

You think it looks big enough for a 3.5, but it's not. The stated size of the iTV is thinner than a typical 3.5" drive.

You misread what I wrote I meant no way as in there's no way it can fit, I wasn't suggesting it could.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

You might even be optimistic in that. It would more likely use 1.8" drives.

I hope not unless that's strickly for buffering streaming content from the computer, that way not everything has to come from wifi, while you watch it's downloading the rest to the hd temporarily.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Also I think apple needs to respond on this 6 button remote when it comes to itv. I want independant fast forwarding/rewinding and chapter skip buttons and a subtitle buttons etc. I don't need a 49 button MS remote like jobs laughed at just something with maybe 12 of the most important buttons.

OR

They could do it with a screen overlay like the ps2 dvd player does.

Just give me something here apple, I'm grasping at straws.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

Also I think apple needs to respond on this 6 button remote when it comes to itv. I want independant fast forwarding/rewinding and chapter skip buttons and a subtitle buttons etc. I don't need a 49 button MS remote like jobs laughed at just something with maybe 12 of the most important buttons.

OR

would a "shift" button on the mouse work? the left and right already do triple duty in 1. navigating the cursor 2. chapter skip (press once) 3. FF (press and hold) so adding a "shift" button to hold at the same time would add 2 more possible options to that... but isnt very "apple" is it? i dont know????
  • Reply 66 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Well, look at this year.

If at the beginning of January 2006, with Apples' price in the mid 80's, an analyst had said that Apple would reach 93 near the end of the year, you would also have thought him nuts. Right?

Actually no, this was a transitional year, frankly I'm surprised they have gone up that much. In Jan they were $75, after Macworld '06 they were $85, and now they're $92, and that's through a platform switch.
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Only if you buy the uber expensive DVR from DISH.

My DishNetwork DVR was free.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by globalhemp

My DishNetwork DVR was free.

Looks like the got it working on at least a couple of the newer ones but when I first looked at PocketDish it was only available for the 942. Now it appears to work for the 942, 622, 625 and 522.

Note that on the 522 and 625 it takes 40 minutes to download an hour with of video.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

Sorry I didn´t get that... The iTV will attach to multiple or selectable iTunes lybraries ? Is that it ?

Or do you mean that the iTV will read the library to it´s own storage ?

Most likely both. I'm sure the internal HD will be for caching and software. The idea is to create, buy, and manage content on your normal Mac and then use iTV to view it on any TV in the house.

Jobs has always said he's hated the idea of the PC in the living room. This allows you to keep it in your office but enjoy its content in your living room, in an inexpensive way.

Frankly I can't wait.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aniejelow

Check out this thread I started a little over a month ago raising this exact question and offering a bit of speculation of my own. I definitely am not saying I got this prediction right, but it is pretty cool to see a group of mac lovers get together think through some issues with good old deductive reasoning and once and a while get it (somewhat) right before the analysts and media.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=67715

To all who contributed to that threat thanks! I might suggest posting on that thread if you want to offer some cool thoguhts or speculation about iTV as we already have about 70 posts.

I hate to say I told you so as well.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=61530 (April 2005)

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=58950 (April 2005)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Maybe. I am not sure that the mac mini is the solution. Again, it is foremost a computer. An independant media box/center I would think could be both cheaper but also more effective.

Component parts for a box could be:

Internal HD for DVR

DVD player

Built In TV Tuner / Cable In Port

iPod Dock Built In

Internal Speakers (???)

Remote / IR sensor

Airpot Basestation / Streaming capabilities

Standard Digital and S-video out ports

USB/Firewire (?)

Monitor Pin Port

Processor of some sort (would not have to be as fast as mac mini probably)

and it would probably sustain its own OS, like a modified/delux Front Row, not Mac OS X.

For a mac mini, this would be a lot of clutter.

• Reply 71 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vitaflo

Most likely both. I'm sure the internal HD will be for caching and software. The idea is to create, buy, and manage content on your normal Mac and then use iTV to view it on any TV in the house.

Jobs has always said he's hated the idea of the PC in the living room. This allows you to keep it in your office but enjoy its content in your living room, in an inexpensive way.

Frankly I can't wait.

Yes. Me too.

I still think Front Row on the iTV , as shown by Steve, will be a totally different animal. I think it will be a true Media OS. For it alone, I can´t wait.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    A Dashboard view via iTV would be SWEET! Weather...stocks...whatever! I hope Apple adds that.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I think they'll keep it simple; one machine for editing/management & another for presentation. It makes sense to have a local DVD or BD player to the TV (even though it's conflicts with iTS it would still make the device more appealing) I think that's what the USB is for, so it can be used as a DVD/BD writer as well.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

OR

And a couple for the optional iChat? (+ a USB iSight) so I can video chat from my armchair?

McD
  • Reply 75 of 75
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Quote:

[...]I can video chat from my armchair?

Okay, McD, you went there with that one