Zune grabs No. 2 spot at retail during first week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

The Zune is brown!!!1! Like poo!!11

and thats as good as it gets, poo is designed better to work with the human form
  • Reply 22 of 83
    Can I just say that the iPod nano ads and the new iPod shuffle ads are killer, totally cool, totally on message, sexy, hip, blah blah blah.... But the inane rubbish PC-and-Mac ads keep on coming. Stop wasting your fracking money on the PC-and-Mac rubbish ads!!! Who the heck is doing the iPod ads???? You need *that team* on the PC-Mac stuff.... Like, HELLLOOOOOO ?!!!!!111!! WTF ?!!!!!11!!
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Zune was bested only by Apple Computer's iPod, which retained its dominant share during the week by grabbing 63 percent unit share and 72.5 percent dollar share.

The Zune was "bested only" by the iPod, which TOTALLY WHIPPED the ZUNE's ASS.

Quote:

NPD says its weekly POS data is culled from a selective set of retailers that are part of its monthly panel, meaning it does not take into effect digital media player sales at Apple's own retail stores, among others.

Hmmm.... 'nuff said about this

Quote:

It should also be noted sell-through figures compiled during a product's initial week on the market are not necessarily indicative of that product's overall share, and are often influenced by pent-up demand. Still, NPD's data could represent the potential for Zune's long term share gains. The group's findings eerily resemble a similar retail survey conducted by PiperJaffray, which found that retail clerks were recommending Zune to customers 8 percent of the time compared to the iPod at 75 percent of the time. However, PiperJaffray in its polls also found that some retail salespeople were completely oblivious to the Microsoft player.

Also, it is possible there is NEGATIVE pent-up demand -- that is, people getting Zunes, and as mentioned, regretting it immensely. So growth actually could go backwards if more people return Zunes than are buying new ones..... OK, that doesn't really make sense but what the hell.

This thread is GOLD, I tells ya.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    MS says zune sales fell within expectations,

my take, they expected only 1 to sell so their expections have been hugely met.

i want to see january numbers, actually dec 26th numbers, i bet as above it could be negative growth month. more returned then bought. word of mouth and online reviews i bet turn their heads. but as predicted it takes away from othe playforsure partners, so that is the REAL target not ipod, ipod was never the target. MS will get in this way kill it's partners then consolidate and go after ipod. it's the sandisk killer.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Number Two? This is like the line from Glengarry Glen Ross:

"We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."
  • Reply 26 of 83
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    One of the best movies ever...

Anywho, as predicted MS have completely shafted Creative etc.. whilst failing to dent iPod sales.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    I have been looking for a zune... just to actually see one in the wild. Was it just a US release, because I cannot find one at any retail outlets in Canada?

When I asked the bestbuy clerk to see one, I just got a blank look. (Okay maybe that isn't a good indication... I think that blank look is a job requirement there)
  • Reply 28 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samiam

I have been looking for a zune... just to actually see one in the wild. Was it just a US release, because I cannot find one at any retail outlets in Canada?

When I asked the bestbuy clerk to see one, I just got a blank look. (Okay maybe that isn't a good indication... I think that blank look is a job requirement there)

It's not for sale in Canada yet. No release date has been announced.

And if you bring one into Canada, then you'll have to pony up all your own content too (ripping CDs), because the Zune Marketplace won't serve content to a Canadian IP domain.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    My company is #1 in the #2 business! http://www.BargerAndSons.com

Zune has no choice but to settle for second place in the #2 business.
  • Reply 30 of 83
    I'm thinking MS is doing exactly what they want to do. They know they can't top the iPod right now, so they are more focus on driving the "other" MP3 players out of business, which would be very good news for them. After that, tie the Zune to the 360, and go after the iPod. I hope apple don't take the Zune as a joke.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83

If you want to know how the Zune is doing, read some customer reviews on amazon about it. Half the ones I read, people had such problems they were bringing it back and exchanging it for an iPod. 50/150 reviews rated it as a 1/5 star. I couldn't help but laugh at peoples' experiences. What made it worse was that some were ipod users looking for a hot new product, which in turn backfired.

Thank you for the post. I was wondering how many Zunes may be returned after consumers tried to use them. Going to be very interesting how many horrible experiences there will be Christmas day.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I think the fact that Zune even made a dent is a testament to the fact that they bothered to do some marketing at all. Before Zune, I think Apple spent more money airing the Jeff Goldblum ad than the rest of the portable media player industry combined spent on marketing. Everyone else seems to be operating under the assumption that they can kill the dominant player just on features and price. If the buyer has never heard of a given brand, then I think that cuts the likelyhood they would take it home, so it pays to actually get your name out there to the public rather than just to the techie audience.

Where Zune goes from here depends on whether one is made that is considered "good enough" by the public. That might be an update or two away so people can forget about their collective experiences with the first Zune.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Surely week 1 sales of the Zune are mostly pent up demand from Microsoft fanbois and the anything-but-iPod idiots ?

I do hope someone is keeping a graph of sales somewhere.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

If they were, Apple would enjoy a 60% marketshare for its computers.

I'm confused. How exactly are you comparing an overall marketshare of an item to a percentage of sales in qauantity for a given time frame?
  • Reply 35 of 83
    Hey, if it were a fair fight, I'd say good for Microsoft. Unfortunately, the Zune is utter crap. Better luck next time, Ballmer.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc

The fact that they excluded Apple Retail from sales calculations is just silly. I'll bet half of all iPod sales are from Apple's own retail stores.

How would this have changed the fact that iPod was #1 and Zune was #2?
  • Reply 37 of 83
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

The Zune is brown!!!1! Like poo!!11

chocolate is brown, yuck.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight

I'm thinking MS is doing exactly what they want to do. They know they can't top the iPod right now, so they are more focus on driving the "other" MP3 players out of business, which would be very good news for them. After that, tie the Zune to the 360, and go after the iPod. I hope apple don't take the Zune as a joke.

They should have tied the thing to the 360 from the beginning. I'm continually amazed at Microsoft's ineptitude. They could seriously damage the iPod without even trying by just pulling their heads out of their brown-#2s.

Hell, I teach English, coach soccer, have a kid and a wife, and have never studied marketing, business, or finance. And I would bet any amount of money that I could have created something tied to the XBox 360 that would have gotten more marketshare than this will.

It's so amazing that they haven't thought of something like this. If anything points out the inefficiencies inherent in huge capitalist enterprises, it's this.

Imagine a simple memory card that slots in your 360 controller. (Nothing revolutionary.) Make it connect via USB so that it can also connect to your computer. (Interesting possibilities.) Now give it a headphone jack and some audio buttons. (Steve Jobs creates his own brown zune in his pants.) Add some software that goes on both the 360 and your computer. Brand it with something that ties into the xBox brandname (xBit, xByte, xByt (go really crazy with the "alternative" letter), xChip, BitBox, xBox Player, hell, it could even be Xune...but that doesn't mean anything), but also stands alone.

Boom.

Millions of iPod-shuffle-killers. Or, not really killers so much as iPod-shuffle-gankers.

Really, you'd have at least hundreds of thousands of kids walking around pretending to be non-conformists saying "Man, screw the iPod. I just use my [BitBox]." And you've created a phenomenon you can then really build on.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iconsumer

but doesn't the brown stuff ALWAYS have our number 2 spot captured ??

"mummy mummy i have to go to the toilet, number 2 "

iPod #1

iPoo #2 (brown Zune)
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

They should have tied the thing to the 360 from the beginning....yada yada yada

It's so amazing that they haven't thought of something like this. If anything points out the inefficiencies inherent in huge capitalist enterprises, it's this.

Its amazing you actually posted this, but hey its an Apple website so what do I expect.

Please Google "Zune & Xbox360"

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5640/983/

For your reading enjoyment.....man I sure hope they figure out how to tie this thing into the Xbox360 fast or else

Hell I did streaming from my Zune player to my xbox360 over thanksgiving...made playlists of good dinner music, had home movies playing as the music was playing and went into my pictures folder after that....it was real tough too. 3 check boxes and an OK