Prudential: iPhone to sport Click-Wheel; video iPod by Q2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    So according to these analysts nothing will be announced at Macworld since everything is 3 to 6 months away according to them. Late 1Q ie March or late 2Q ie June. I can see Apple announcing stuff a month before it ships but not three let alone six months. Then they go on to say production is already ramping up. Really? It takes that long to get production going? Sorry, I don't buy it. They don't know didly.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I could imagine something that's basically a black nano but a little bit thicker. On one side it looks exactly like the nano and on the other side it has the same screen but instead of a click wheel there is a keypad. So you just flip the thing over depending on what you want to use it for.

Samsung has a phone coming out with a similar concept, media player on one side and phone on the other.

I bet if Apple did do something like that they would just pull the black nano from the shelves and replace it with the iphone.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

I could imagine something that's basically a black nano but a little bit thicker. On one side it looks exactly like the nano and on the other side it has the same screen but instead of a click wheel there is a keypad. So you just flip the thing over depending on what you want to use it for.

Samsung has a phone coming out with a similar concept, media player on one side and phone on the other.

I bet if Apple did do something like that they would just pull the black nano from the shelves and replace it with the iphone.

but they would have to charge more for the iphone.....

they would still keep the nanos seperate from the iphone.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

"From this day forward December the 5th will be known as iPhone day!!"

You really didn't get the recognition you deserved for the Mayor Quimby post, I found it quite funny. I've never seen so many repitious posts about the iPhone on AI.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Apple is just another electronics company and they're restricted by the same design, cost, and energetic constraints that EVERY OTHER electronics company has.

Quote:

It took Blackberry years to perfect their smartphone. MS is just getting the hang of it. If Apple think they can just jump in the market and make a phone that's better than BB or MS smartphones, they are wrong. I guess they got to start somewhere thoug.

Both of these statements are true.

Apple has shown a knack for doing things in a way that are difficult for other companies to replicate. Five years later still no one has made a device that can compete with the iPod.

Apple's corporate culture is different from everyone else. Apple does not release a device purely for profit. Palm and Blackberry will release what they have and improve on it as they go along.

Of course Apple has made many prototype versions of its own phone in the lab. Apple has not released any of the sub-par designs. They won't launch a product until they feel they have it just right.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

You really didn't get the recognition you deserved for the Mayor Quimby post, I found it quite funny. I've never seen so many repitious posts about the iPhone on AI.

Why tank u tank ya vera much.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fooey

i cant wait till microsoft adds there own cell phone to the Xbox line.

They could call it Xcell

oh crap... never mind

or perhaps to break into the market the will give them away for free.

Here have a freecell

badoom PSSH

ok im over it..

• Reply 28 of 63
    Think about it. Do we really a need a keypad on a phone anyway? I mean, how often do any of you use the keypad on your phone? I know I rarely use it. Most of the time the numbers I need are already in my address book or quick dial. I think we'll see the keypad on the screen and you can scroll through it and select the numbers individually. Sure it woud take a little bit longer to dial a number, but it wouldn't be THAT bad. I would prefer to have no keypad if it meant a more efficient form factor. Apple's got exclusive rights to this click wheel interface, they should use it.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Think about it. Do we really a need a keypad on a phone anyway? I mean, how often do any of you use the keypad on your phone? I know I rarely use it. Most of the time the numbers I need are already in my address book or quick dial. I think we'll see the keypad on the screen and you can scroll through it and select the numbers individually. Sure it woud take a little bit longer to dial a number, but it wouldn't be THAT bad. I would prefer to have no keypad if it meant a more efficient form factor. Apple's got exclusive rights to this click wheel interface, they should use it.

Are you for real?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Are you for real?

hey, what happened to "Think Different" ?
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:

More efficient would be having the keypad. Less doesn't always equal more efficient. Having a keypad really doesn't confuse things.

Plus what are people going to do when they text message? Some of these kids can type really fast on cell phones. I don't get it myself but more power to them.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

Plus what are people going to do when they text message? Some of these kids can type really fast on cell phones. I don't get it myself but more power to them.

The button in the center of the clickwheel doubles as a Morse Code button, of course. Just dash-dot the message onto the screen. It's faster anyway.

• Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by age234

The button in the center of the clickwheel doubles as a Morse Code button, of course. Just dash-dot the message onto the screen. It's faster anyway.

Maybe the guy who did the morse code could read faster.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:

There's a difference between "think different" and think useful. The clickwheel isn't enough.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

You know what? You're right. Let's make the iPhone out of brown bread, cause that's different.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

There's a difference between "think different" and think useful. The clickwheel isn't enough.

really good voice recognition could take the place of a keypad (for numerals, that is).

it might even make for pretty fast texting too...
  • Reply 37 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chromos

really good voice recognition could take the place of a keypad (for numerals, that is).

it might even make for pretty fast texting too...

No, it couldn't.

Texting is for when you CAN"T talk. There are many circumstances when voice control won't be appropriate. You might not want someone to know who you're calling. you might want to get to a site on the internet. Do you really want to talk out all of those commands?

What if the environment is too noisy for the phone to get it, but not so noisy that you can't have a conversation?

There are times when it's useful, but many times when it's impossible.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    I don't know about the US Market but a significant portion of the UK market has a set of white iPod headphones in their ears with one opposable thumb on the click wheel and a mobile phone keypad in the other; texting to anyone and everyone.

BBC report

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBC

One father told child safety and parenting group Childalert that he had discovered his 16-year-old daughter was spending £20 a week plus all her school dinner money on texting her friends.

As I understand it texts are such a money spinners (4-12 pence per 160 characters network bandwidth and some texts cost £1.50 to rx!) that UK contract phones must have the text option just one button from the main screen.

I don't send more than 3 or 4 texts a month but I do want the capability there and a click wheel just won't do. (Although I hope we see the click wheel there for most of the navigation).
  • Reply 39 of 63
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

No, it couldn't.

Texting is for when you CAN"T talk. There are many circumstances when voice control won't be appropriate. You might not want someone to know who you're calling. you might want to get to a site on the internet. Do you really want to talk out all of those commands?

What if the environment is too noisy for the phone to get it, but not so noisy that you can't have a conversation?

There are times when it's useful, but many times when it's impossible.

Oo, you're right, forgot about those times. Well then, how about a very good subvocalization sensor?
  • Reply 40 of 63
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

if the slim iPhone will be primarily an mp3 player with phone capabilities (instead of a phone with an mp3 player) then i think it will end up looking pretty much like a nano. you'll press the center button on the clickwheel, scroll down to "talk" (or "calls", "phone" etc) and you'll select from a list of contacts previously synched with iSync. you could have "playlists" with phone numbers/contacts organized in groups such as "family", "work", "friends", "emergency numbers", "bank", etc.

if you ever need to use a keypad, it will slide from under, or the clickwheel will open to reveal some kind of keypad. but it has to be arranged in the current layout of touch tone phones because that's standard and the easiest to use, unless apple thinks of something better.

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

* 0 #

ah it will be beautiful, i can't wait to see it. </daydream>

I agree. I imagine it a cross between an iPod nano and a samsung D800 series. It will operate like an ipod until phone is selected from menu or the keypad is opened then it will go into a more traditional cell phone interface.