Cisco introduces "iPhone" family of devices

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn

They could just call it iScream for all those idiots who think it's OK for everyone in the crowd to listen to their cell phone conversation. Shuddup already, we don't care!

I do avoid the networks that offer PTT. Having to hear both sides of the conversation is bad enough, but to hear that excessively loud chirp at the beginning and end of each comment is annoying.
  • Reply 62 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Therefore they will call it, 'iPod Phone'. (iPod Nano, iPod Mini etc.)

Follow me on this one... what if they call it the "Mobile iPod Phone", or MoPho for short?
  • Reply 63 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Follow me on this one... what if they call it the "Mobile iPod Phone", or MoPho for short?

iPod MoPho - HA HA I love it! But too controversial for Apple.

iPod mobi

or simply

iPoo
  • Reply 64 of 93
    I'm so pissed off that cisco is using the iPhone name. Everyone's going to think of apple whenever they hear that.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dannyboy12

I'm so pissed off that cisco is using the iPhone name. Everyone's going to think of apple whenever they hear that.

Apple was too slow on the uptake. If they actually have a product, they are going to be a laughingstock unless it blows the rumors away.

Anything less (**cough** iTV, for example **cough**) and Apple will lose credibility with consumers... even if they didn't start the bloody rumors.

Cisco was smart to capitalize on the publicity!
  • Reply 66 of 93
    Apple screwed up royally by not trademarking the letter "i"
  • Reply 67 of 93
    Quick, call legal! Steve wants to sue the alphabet!
  • Reply 68 of 93
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I heard a rumor back in January about a new gadget from Apple with a touchscreen display that would cover the face of the thing. It was supposed to be the video iPod so I thought the screen would have to have a 16x9 aspect ratio. When I started doing mockups, the dimensions didn't match up with anything Apple had like the nano or the iPod. When I went back to my source with this, he said yes, it would be a different size between the nano and the iPod. I couldn't understand how that'd be good for a video iPod.

That rumor turned into this TS article on Feb. 9: True Video iPod to Sport 3.5" Display

At the time, it was believed Apple would release it in March but when I checked back with my source in March, he said there were problems with the display and that the thing went back to the drawing board. From what I can tell, that's exactly what happened and the project was reworked from the ground up.

Recalling these old rumors and looking at the latest rumors about the phone effort, I think this video iPod and the phone are one and the same. The thing gnawing at me 10 months ago was the idea that a full screen 3.5" iPod would have to be smaller than a regular iPod and I couldn't reconcile that with an internal HD large enough to store lots of movies. Ah, but if you think of an iPod that's flash based and sized between the nano and the iPod, the display makes sense but not so much for movies unless the 8GB model has enough capacity to make movie viewing worthwhile.

A 3.5" full screen iPod phone makes a lot of sense since the display can let the device be anything you want it to be with virtual clickwheel and virtual buttons. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel

I'd prefer iChat Buddy. A video mobile phone using an iChat client.

My money is on: iTalk.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

I heard a rumor back in January about a new gadget from Apple with a touchscreen display that would cover the face of the thing. It was supposed to be the video iPod so I thought the screen would have to have a 16x9 aspect ratio. When I started doing mockups, the dimensions didn't match up with anything Apple had like the nano or the iPod. When I went back to my source with this, he said yes, it would be a different size between the nano and the iPod. I couldn't understand how that'd be good for a video iPod.

That rumor turned into this TS article on Feb. 9: True Video iPod to Sport 3.5" Display

At the time, it was believed Apple would release it in March but when I checked back with my source in March, he said there were problems with the display and that the thing went back to the drawing board. From what I can tell, that's exactly what happened and the project was reworked from the ground up.

Recalling these old rumors and looking at the latest rumors about the phone effort, I think this video iPod and the phone are one and the same. The thing gnawing at me 10 months ago was the idea that a full screen 3.5" iPod would have to be smaller than a regular iPod and I couldn't reconcile that with an internal HD large enough to store lots of movies. Ah, but if you think of an iPod that's flash based and sized between the nano and the iPod, the display makes sense but not so much for movies unless the 8GB model has enough capacity to make movie viewing worthwhile.

A 3.5" full screen iPod phone makes a lot of sense since the display can let the device be anything you want it to be with virtual clickwheel and virtual buttons. I can't wait to see what Apple comes out with.

Name your source... I dare you!
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram

My money is on: iTalk.

Oops.... just noticed that someone else scooped me on that. (This is what happens when you don't read the whole thread, I guess).
  • Reply 72 of 93
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Name your source... I dare you!

He was a writer for TS who has since moved to a different country.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    Made a post that I erased.... did not read the previous thread too carefully.

• Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo

He was a writer for TS who has since moved to a different country.

Sorry, you lost me. What is "TS"? Thanks.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    Quote:

Sorry, you lost me. What is "TS"? Thanks.

TS is Think Secret
  • Reply 76 of 93
    there are rumors of TWO phones

my money is on MacPhone for the basic version and MacPhone Pro for the higher end version (black only)
  • Reply 77 of 93
    The Phone wont have "Mac" in ze name

- it will try to ride on the iPod wave (and target people outside the Mac Kingdom).

... unless the 4 Gb is a severly crippled piece of junk, then we could have:

- 4 Gb PcPhone

- 8 Gb MacPhone

I dont think Apple has ever planned to use the rumour-names, neither "iTV" nor "iPhone".

Both names have been registered by other companies for years.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    What about the iCall and the iCallPro or even the iCall-U \
  • Reply 79 of 93
    £1 on MacPhone
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Since everyone under the sun has their theory on the Apple phone, here's mine...

Next month, at next month's MacWorld, Steve Jobs will introduce the brand new Apple-branded phone, not the iPhone has been predicted, but the psiPhone. It will not be a cell phone at all, but will instead use psychic energy to provide communication between users. Jobs will reveal that Apple purchased the Psychic Friends Network in the late 90's because they realized the untapped potential of psychic energy. In a side note, Jobs will also reveal the phone is based on technology obtained from the Roswell, NM UFO crash.

The phone itself will be powered by the owner's chi/qi. It will only be available through Apple retail locations as it requires a 30-minute activation phase where the phone is attuned to the purchaser. Many people will view this "activation" as another form of DRM. The phone will sport features such as "Advanced Call Forwarding" where the phone will sense the users desire to contact a particular person and make the connection before the user actively directs the phone to do so.

In his obligatory "One more thing" moment, Steve Jobs will remove his head and reveal himself to be the last survivor of the Roswell aliens. Immediately following this shocking revelation, the audience's memory will be wiped by the U.S. government's Orbital Mind Control Laser (euphemistically referred to as the Hubble Space Telescope). The memories of the psiPhone and Jobs' true alien nature will be replaced with a bland recollection of a widescreen video iPod and iTV products.