Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2821 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I was being kind by stating 4 studios. 5 studios doesn't help your case. MGM and Fox have had pathetic release schedules. Regardless the 5 studio advantage has led to a insignificant 20 movie advantage and even less when you consider NA Blu-ray exclusives available as imports.

You must have missed the part where only 3 studios have been releasing on Blu-ray. Furthermore, Warner hasn't exactly been releasing their big guns on Blu-ray as of yet either. Nice to see you either completely miss this or ignore it though...but remember, it won't make this fact go away. Also, it's not the number of movies that matter so much, but moreso the amount of sales they generate due to the quality of the movie (here's a hint go to boxofficemojo and you'll see Blu-ray titles dominate this demographic as well).

Quote:

The PS3 was and remains a significant force. It's still amongst the best of Blu-ray players featurewise and in flexibility. However it's not driving as many movie attaches IMO. Despite the "Plethora" of Blu-ray players combined they have not sold more than the Toshiba players. Now we have Onkyo joining the fray and soon the Reference Platform. I think we're fine here. EVERY HD DVD player is better speced than most of the Blu-ray standalones.

No kidding it is a significant force, otherwise HD DVD wouldn't have been toppled in sales in a matter of months. You or I simply don't know how many "movie attaches" the PS3 causes. All we know is is that due to the PS3 factor, many more movies are being sold on Blu-ray, unless your saying that the Blu-ray consumers of standalones have a significantly higher attach rate of HD DVD players.? Again, I know right now that the standalone market appears to favor HD DVD at the current moment at a 55% to 45% clip, but as I mentioned before, your going to see this advantage like many other HD DVD rabid fanboys have touted evaporate. It is inevitable. Just wait and see.

Quote:

I've got 32 movies that will play in HD for as long as I own a functioning player. If that's an "Abyss" then that's positive. There's a vast difference in our arguments Marzetta7. Yours is akin to the boastful child on the lot beating on his chest and speaking of fire and brimstone. You want people to believe their product is dying and that someone the HD Movies they view will cease someday. It's ironic because you don't even claim a player yourself so in that case you really wouldn't understand the joy we have watching a quality movie in its best representation. That's ok....at this point you're talking theory and hypothesis when I'm not talking...I'm buying movies.

Not so ironic when you watch Blu-ray movies on a regular basis as I have. Just because "I" personally don't own one yet (that's what family is for!), doesn't make me any less knowledgeable (or knowledgeable of the market) considering this fact. Nice try to refute my points with a stab in the dark though. Here's a thought, instead of trying to bring up my ownership status all the time, try to refute the glaring market trends, facts, figures, sales etc. with an actual factual and comprehensive retort, not ones full of innaccuracies, wishful thinking, and FUD. Just a thought.

Enjoy your very limited choice in movies, Blu-ray owners will be getting those Universal titles soon enough, not too much to worry about there.
  • Reply 2822 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Most people would make such ignorant statements because they are ignorant to such media formats. Not sure about J6P, but the univeral players are the most popular AV player hardwares being sold to enthusiasts and same will likely happen to Hidef Video formats once the combo hidef universal players are readily available.

If I am paying $1000 for my next AV player, then it better play all the hidef video and audio formats. I still buy few SACD's and I'm not ready to let go of my SACD & DVD-A collection yet.

Speaking of ignorant statements...where are you getting your information that universal players are "the most popular AV player hardwares being sold to enthusiasts." It doesn't take very long in Google to know that universal players are selling like crap and only represented like 3% of hardwares sales in the Q2...

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/84/21884.php

I don't know where you are getting the notion that combo players are popular. Please do tell where you received this information.
  • Reply 2823 of 4650
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmurchison

I don't speak about a winner/loser because recent history shows that co-existence happens (SACD/DVDA and DVD+r./DVD-R)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

SACD and DVDA coexist but neither are a success. DVD+/-R are writable discs and you can't really use them in this comparison.

Precisely JLL, and CE history shows that one format usually prevails--VHS,DVD. Funny how HD DVD owners I find are the ones mostly pushing for coexistance. Doesn't suprise me but funny nonetheless.
  • Reply 2824 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Speaking of ignorant statements...where are you getting your information that universal players are "the most popular AV player hardwares being sold to enthusiasts." It doesn't take very long in Google to know that universal players are selling like crap and only represented like 3% of hardwares sales in the Q2...

http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/84/21884.php

I don't know where you are getting the notion that combo players are popular. Please do tell where you received this information.

Do you know the difference between Universal DVD player vs. Combo/Univeral Hidef Player?

Obviously, you're not an enthusiast and your ignorance is expected.
  • Reply 2825 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Funny how HD DVD owners I find are the ones mostly pushing for coexistance. Doesn't suprise me but funny nonetheless.

Good point. I find it very amusing how Murch's stance has, um, evolved. A year ago, it was "Game over! Blu-ray is toast!" Nowadays, it's "Can't the two formats coexist?" But then again, Murch has always been a bit schizophrenic with his "I'll buy Blu-ray eventually." "No, I won't, as long as HD DVD lives!" "Yes, I will, and won't all you guys be surprised." "No, I won't, unless HD DVD dies!" "Yes, I will, eventually."
  • Reply 2826 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

I never said the 5 studio advantage was a "weakness" your putting words in my mouth. I erred in the 12-20 percentage because those aren't percentage points but ratio points which correspond to different percentages. Blu-ray is tracking at roughly %50 more discs coming from %400 more Blu-ray players at a minimum.

First, you didn't err. You thought you'd get away with it. Either that or it was wishful thinking. And no, you didn't come out and say that as 5 studio advantage was a weakness....but you implied as much. You played the expectations game.

That brings me to the point above about more players for blu-ray. I see where you are going. You're saying that HD-DVD Player owners buy more movies per machinem and that's a positive sign. Fine, let's assume that's true. It's still meaningless. The fact that there are 4X as many blu-ray players is not good for HD-DVD, nor is the fact that blu-ray is outselling it by at least 50%. It's a hollow victory, in other words. And in the end, it matters not. BRD is selling more discs, and that's the game.

Quote:

Yes...the fear I have is both formats becoming a niche "enthusiast" format. Why are consumers going to flock to a format where they have to pay 2-3x for the typical movie? It's going to take affordable screens that are 50" and larger.

Agreed about that.

Quote:

Because that was the Coup de grace of Blu-ray success. Warner and Paramount execs admitted that the PS3 was the reason why they went neutral. Another reason is that though a console may not be intended as a dedicated player it can provide that duty.

Not sure what point you are making. The PS3 counts, period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Good point. I find it very amusing how Murch's stance has, um, evolved. A year ago, it was "Game over! Blu-ray is toast!" Nowadays, it's "Can't the two formats coexist?" But then again, Murch has always been a bit schizophrenic with his "I'll buy Blu-ray eventually." "No, I won't, as long as HD DVD lives!" "Yes, I will, and won't all you guys be surprised." "No, I won't, unless HD DVD dies!" "Yes, I will, eventually."

I agree. I've said before that the very fact he went from HD-DVD: Victory Campaign 2007 to "Universal is the Way of the Future!" shows how uncertain he actually is. I think he probably sees the writing on the wall, whether he admits it or not.
  • Reply 2827 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Evolution is important. A human's best characteristics are intelligence and adaptability. If I'm a moving target to some that's ok because I've always professed a love of movies and that is paramount to what silly optical format "wins". It's always about the movies. I realized the "Blu-ray's Toast" or "Game Over" posts were boorish. I'm not here to gleefully cheer on the demise of someones HD format. If I had my druthers we'd all get what we want.

Note that neither my nor bitemymac's post are laden with the vitriol that Blu-ray fans seem to revel in. Note the pic at the top of the page. I think I once used a Blu-ray logo that equated it to Betamax but I generally don't get off with puerile behavior.

I think there's a higher quotient of immature Blu-ray fans and although I may be falsely assigning blame it could be that the PS3 has brought over the childish antics of the console wars. It's easy to get swept up in this garbage.

Now that I'm enjoying HD movies and seeing HD DVD continue to grow (even they are behind in sales they are still maintaining their postion which means their growth is staying constant relative to Blu-ray).

HD DVD is a philosophical choice. Either the owner wants affordable or they want less DRM. Some BD owners make a philosophical choice to embrace the format that Microsoft isn't supporting. Everyone has their something.

Frankly I'm not for that BS "we need to end this war" this isn't a freaking War. I've been in a war and this stuff doesn't compare. This is just a battle over licensing and patent profits. If Broadband was fast enough the studios would bypass all this optical tomfoolery.
  • Reply 2828 of 4650
    Quote:

Do you know the difference between Universal DVD player vs. Combo/Univeral Hidef Player?

Funny, I get from your constant refs to J6P that enthusiasts don't matter.

J6P according to you will decide the winning format, but they arn't enthusiasts and therfore (to you) must be ignorant, but you give them all the power to decide which format wins.

{SARCASM} flawless logic {/SARCASM}
  • Reply 2829 of 4650
    Quote:

Evolution is important. A human's best characteristics are intelligence and adaptability. If I'm a moving target to some that's ok because I've always professed a love of movies and that is paramount to what silly optical format "wins". It's always about the movies. I realized the "Blu-ray's Toast" or "Game Over" posts were boorish. I'm not here to gleefully cheer on the demise of someones HD format. If I had my druthers we'd all get what we want.

Note that neither my nor bitemymac's post are laden with the vitriol that Blu-ray fans seem to revel in. Note the pic at the top of the page. I think I once used a Blu-ray logo that equated it to Betamax but I generally don't get off with puerile behavior.

I think there's a higher quotient of immature Blu-ray fans and although I may be falsely assigning blame it could be that the PS3 has brought over the childish antics of the console wars. It's easy to get swept up in this garbage.

Now that I'm enjoying HD movies and seeing HD DVD continue to grow (even they are behind in sales they are still maintaining their postion which means their growth is staying constant relative to Blu-ray).

HD DVD is a philosophical choice. Either the owner wants affordable or they want less DRM. Some BD owners make a philosophical choice to embrace the format that Microsoft isn't supporting. Everyone has their something.

Frankly I'm not for that BS "we need to end this war" this isn't a freaking War. I've been in a war and this stuff doesn't compare. This is just a battle over licensing and patent profits. If Broadband was fast enough the studios would bypass all this optical tomfoolery.

Did you help the Beatles on their album "Revolver" ??

It's pointless to go through that point by point, you'll just change your mind again next week.

But one point that bears talking about, your Evolution, perhaps you will eventually see the writing on the wall the rest of us can. I went back and re read some posts on this thread earlier today it was actualy as funny as I had remembered the first time round, but, my point. You made a statment that you would buy a BD player when they reached $300, do you still stand by that?

If so, then why did you spend 3 times that amount on the new HD-DVD player? when you could ahve spent less and gotten a BD player with some free discs (you SAY you love movies) and still had cash left over to buy some more BD movies, or even some more HD-DVD movies.
  • Reply 2830 of 4650
    Why is it so hard to understand the different phases of business tactics... We've been both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray doing shot-gun/blitz marketing that had failed to eliminate one another. Therefore, the format dispute has changed it's tactics to long haul battle.... which means both formats are here to stay whether you like it or not. It's simple as that.........

Everyone can still side with their favorite format of their choice or accept both out of the best self interest and one's hobby, but neither one is going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Reply 2831 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Evolution is important. A human's best characteristics are intelligence and adaptability. If I'm a moving target to some that's ok because I've always professed a love of movies and that is paramount to what silly optical format "wins".

Uh, no. You've always professed an ultimate hatred for the "consumer-unfriendly" DRM that you ascribe to Blu-ray. And evolution is one thing, but you don't evolve. You flip-flop. You vacillate. Evolution is moving slowly but consistently in one direction. You move back and forth, sometimes seemingly by the phases of the moon.
  • Reply 2832 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Funny, I get from your constant refs to J6P that enthusiasts don't matter.

J6P according to you will decide the winning format, but they arn't enthusiasts and therfore (to you) must be ignorant, but you give them all the power to decide which format wins.

{SARCASM} flawless logic {/SARCASM}

Here's a small lesson for ya....

The enthusiasts approve the technology in a early niche market, and J6P will pick the winning format in the mass market.

So, answer this to yourself....

1) What's the status of Hidef HT market right now?... (niche)

2) When will the HiDef HT market recieve a mass acceptance?... (not in 2007)....
  • Reply 2833 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

If so, then why did you spend 3 times that amount on the new HD-DVD player? when you could ahve spent less and gotten a BD player with some free discs (you SAY you love movies) and still had cash left over to buy some more BD movies, or even some more HD-DVD movies.

Yes when there is a Blu-ray player with the right features (namely networking) it'll be mine. Part of my "evolution" was the realization that even being neutral with a HD DVD focus on neutral titles helps. What's key to me for the future is

1. Managed Copy

2. HD DVD staying region free....I plan to import many titles.

Quote:

Uh, no. You've always professed an ultimate hatred for the "consumer-unfriendly" DRM that you ascribe to Blu-ray. And evolution is one thing, but you don't evolve. You flip-flop. You vacillate. Evolution is moving slowly but consistently in one direction. You move back and forth, sometimes seemingly by the phases of the moon.

Yes ..excessive DRM doesn't help consumers. The AACS protection IMO sufficient and the filesizes of the movies is a deterrent as well. If I've flip-flopped it's been a mild one. I've never came on here gung ho about Blu-ray. If I've vacillated it's only been between not supporting Blu-ray at all and going neutral with a focus on HD DVD. Not a huge difference.

My reasons for choosing HD DVD have been well articulated. The only remaining issue regarding my HD needs is if/when I get Blu-ray.
  • Reply 2834 of 4650
    Quote:

The only remaining issue regarding my HD needs is if/when I get Blu-ray.

When comes Oct/Nov. all the 1st & 2nd gen Blu-Ray player will get dirt cheap in the used market. Thanks to mandated Blu-Ray profile, you may be able to get obsoleted Blu-Ray players at a cheaper price than the Blu-Ray PC drive. I'll bite on the $99 obsoleted BD player off eBay.... I can use the BD-drive on my htpc.
  • Reply 2835 of 4650
    Quote:

My apologies, I misread your original statement and misinterpreted the context in which you were speaking. See, now that wasn't hard...admitting wrong...something you and Murch just might have to do in the year ahead.

Regardless, my point still rings true. Right now, universal players aren't cutting it, especially when one considers that one studio is causing the purpose of universal players to even exist.
  • Reply 2836 of 4650
    Quote:

OMG! Murch just said "tomfoolery." Hahahahahhahaha!

Sky rockets in flight! Afternoon delight!

Sorry I couldn't help picturing you Murch as the psychologist in Good Will Hunting with the term "tomfoolery." Heeeeeeh...too funny.
  • Reply 2837 of 4650
    Blu-ray Disc Sales Continue Dominance

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=397

Quote:

According to Home Media Research, during the first half of 2007 a total of 1.6M movies were sold on the Blu-ray format. Rival HD DVD sold less than half during the same time period, with a total of 795,000 movies sold. Since the launch of the formats, Blu-ray has amassed sales of 2.2M movies compared to just 1.5M on HD DVD (which includes data collected through July).

Blu-ray continues to maintain a 2:1 sales advantage over its rival heading into the all-important holiday shopping season, and with the long list of upcoming Blu-ray releases, including 'Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End' and 'Spider-man 3', that sales advantage will continue to increase. Consumers are overwhelmingly showing their support for Blu-ray, a fact that has not escaped many studios and retailers who recently announced Blu-ray exclusivity.

The recent release of Warner Brothers '300' gave a sales boost to both formats. The Blu-ray version sold 190,000 copies since the title went on sale, compared to 97,000 on HD DVD, according to Warner's Steve Nickerson. Since the majority of these sales occurred in August, Blu-ray is expecting to report strong numbers for the month.

• Reply 2838 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

It's most likely that J6P will pick the format winner, not the winner format picking J6P. I really don't understand what the big mess is by having multiple optical media formats....

When PC evolved from 5.25" to 3.5" floppy, then CD to DVD media a mess for PC users? On the optical side.... CD/DVD or -/+R always existed and having a drive supporting both cleared everything up.

How is HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray any different with combo drives?

HD DVD and Blu-ray are media with content, the others are storage medias - two very different purposes.
  • Reply 2839 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

HD DVD is a philosophical choice, but Blu-ray might be a philosophical choice?

When reading AVS it seems that some HD DVD owners made the choice to embrace the format that Microsoft is supporting because of all the slobbering whenever Amir throws them a bone.

PS: I chose Blu-ray because of the movies - it's always the movies
  • Reply 2840 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

HD DVD is a philosophical choice, but Blu-ray might be a philosophical choice?

When reading AVS it seems that some HD DVD owners made the choice to embrace the format that Microsoft is supporting because of all the slobbering whenever Amir throws them a bone.

PS: I chose Blu-ray because of the movies - it's always the movies

An excellent and logical choice. The content is where it's really at. Both formats use the same codecs so had all movies been available across both platforms people would have simply migrated to the cheapest players.

Many have spoke about technical advantages but right now I see no improvements due to bitrate manifesting.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/997/prestige_uk.html

Different bitrate...different codec. Same result. Stellar quality at under 30GB.