Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2761 of 4650
    It's clear to me that Craig Kornplaster is getting it up the ass from M$, what a dipwad
  • Reply 2762 of 4650

As if regular DVDs in Japan aren't expensive enough, looking at that Blu-Ray + DVD price, wow.
  • Reply 2763 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

It's clear to me that Craig Kornplaster is getting it up the ass from M$, what a dipwad

You had me laughing out loud on this one! And I agree totally!
  • Reply 2764 of 4650
    With the exception of "The Bourne Ultimatum", the titles mentioned for release in the Universal article are pretty ho-hum and as a exclusive Blu-ray owner won't be missed on my part. But the "The Bourne Ultimatum" is one movie I want to see and probably own as I have the other two. So I'll most likely buy the SD-DVD version as it looks like Universal isn't going to be budging from its position soon.

This brings up a question, are you one-format exclusive owners still buying SD-DVD must have titles from studios who don't support your format or have you sworn off SD-DVDs?
  • Reply 2765 of 4650
    Great Read from Bill Hunt......I agree with him 100%

Quote:

All right... I've been working on our EMA Day Three coverage for three days now, because there's a lot to talk about. I'd planned to post it last night, but a question cropped up related to something that happened during the HD-DVD panel discussion with Universal. Specifically, I wanted to be sure of an answer that Universal EVP for Marketing, Ken Graffeo, had given in response to a question from the audience. Now our friends over at Home Theater Forum videotaped the panel and have posted the videos online... except during that key moment of the panel, Ron was changing tapes on his camera, and so he missed Graffeo's response (it would have occurred at the start of video #6 had it been recorded). Luckily, several audience members made audio recordings, so I was able to confirm that he'd said what I remembered he'd said. That's even more important today, in light of a story that's been posted by Scott Hettrick over at Hollywood in Hi-Def.com.

Before I get into this, I want to be really clear about something. Because the moment I get into this, there's going to be a small group of guys who will start posting rumors on various discussion forums online. Other than regular advertising payments, which we accept from any and all studios who may wish to advertise on the site, The Digital Bits has never, and will never, accept money from anyone related to the Blu-ray Disc camp for an endorsement of that format. PERIOD. I'm not getting paid to endorse Blu-ray, none of our staffers are getting paid to do so. I do not get paid by anyone connected to Hollywood in Hi-Def.com. I contribute reviews there for free. Our decision to select Blu-ray as our high-def format of choice here at The Bits is our own - a decision we arrived at based on long and careful deliberations related to which format we thought had the best chance to win the format war, and our belief that a quick end to the format war is in the best interests of our readers and the industry as a whole. Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who says we're paid shills for the BD camp, is... flat-out... telling tales out of school. Got that? Good.

Now then... as I said, Scott Hettrick's posted an article over at Hollywood in Hi-Def.com that I think is well worth reading, because it speaks directly to something we've suspected for a long time now: Specifically, that Universal is getting financial incentives to create exclusive HD-DVD content - something that Universal president Craig Kornblau does not deny. "I'm not going to tell you that we don't cut financial deals with people every day," he's quoted as saying in the piece. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of studios have similar arrangements. But it does speak to Universal's motivations in prolonging this format war. And make no mistake about it, Universal is prolonging this format war to keep HD-DVD alive, in the face of mounting evidence that the majority of consumers interested in high-def discs are choosing Blu-ray instead.

Kornblau further claims (according to the article) that Universal's position in the format war is driven by a long-term and consumer-focused strategy that is supported by Universal parent NBC and corporate owner GE. And that's interesting, because Universal's Ken Graffeo gave a different impression about GE's support of Universal's position in the format war at our HD-DVD panel discussion at EMA. Here's the relevant exchange. It starts with a statement by an audience member, one of our group who attended EMA, which soon becomes a question...

Audience member: My question is, from the studio perspective, are you feeling the pressure of being the only HD-DVD sole studio?

Graffeo: Don't forgot about Weinstein.

Another audience member: Major studio.

Audience member: Major studio. Can you talk to that?

[unintelligible comment from a panelist or audience member]

Graffeo: I feel it every day. [audience laughter] And I will also say that we're owned by GE, so we do hear about it a lot. [more audience laughter]

Graffeo then goes on to comment in further detail about the format war, and the European market, etc. You can listen to an MP3 clip of this specific exchange here, and we've posted a 27MB zip file containing a much longer recording of the panel discussion here, in addition to the videos available on HTF (between the videos and these MP3s, you should have a near complete record of the panel discussion).

Now, when I heard this answer, I was pretty surprised. Graffeo seems to be implying that GE has concerns about Universal's stance in this format war. If you watch the videos of the panel, you'll know that I asked a number of direct questions of the panelists related to the format war (I'm the guy in beige in the audience), and I was prepared to continue doing so. But when Graffeo answered this question, in the way he did, I actually felt bad for the guy. It was clear to me, and to others who were on hand to witness the exchange (and I've confirmed today that many others who were there shared the same impression), that Ken (and Universal as a whole) is under a LOT of pressure related to his studio's exclusive support of HD-DVD. Variety has even reported on this in recent weeks. So at that point, I throttled back in my questioning. But his comments would seem to be contradictory to those of Kornblau from Scott Hettrick's piece.

There's another issue here that's worth mentioning as well. Just a few minutes before the exchange above, Graffeo was asked by an audience member about the possibility of Steven Spielberg's films appearing on HD-DVD. I believe it happens at the end of video clip #4 on the HTF. Now... you may recall that earlier this year (on 1/29 to be exact), the HD-DVD Promotional Group had listed a number of Spielberg films on their website with the suggestion that they were "Coming Soon" to HD-DVD, including Jaws, E.T. and Jurassic Park. But shortly after they were posted, which caused an understandable stir, the Group removed the titles from the site and posted a retraction. To my knowledge, nothing more on the subject of Spielberg on high-def came to light until Graffeo was asked by an audience member (at the EMA panel two weeks ago) about the possibility of Spielberg films on HD-DVD. Here's his answer:

Graffeo: In regards to the Spielberg, um... it wasn't... Steven wanted to wait for DVD til there was a higher penetration for that. Um... right now, with 100... 200,000 players and 150,000... he wants to wait til there's more penetration. Because, um... you know when you do release... and Jaws was the first Steven Spielberg that we came out with, and at that time we released we sold a million units. More than we'd ever sold on VHS. But you have to have, sort of like... I don't want to say critical mass, because you had close to 3 or 4 million households that had players... but it's too early now. And I think we have to work very close with our filmmakers because they have a very big part in what we do.

Okay... I bought that argument and I think so did everyone else at the panel. And that would have been the last word on the subject... EXCEPT that just a week later, Sony announced at Comic-Con the first Steven Spielberg film to be released on high-definition, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, EXCLUSIVELY on the Blu-ray Disc format (on 10/2). Huh? Something doesn't jive here. Given his position within the industry, and Universal's close ties with Spielberg over the years, how did Graffeo not know this was coming just a week later? And for those of you who would say that Sony controls CE3K and not Spielberg, I was told directly by Sony reps at Comic-Con that Spielberg personally approved the high-def transfer of the film. Not only that, he's recorded a new interview just for the Blu-ray release. So he HAD to have approved this. How does Universal not know that was coming? In what light does that cast Graffeo's comments at EMA from just a week earlier? And, maybe even more to the point, what does it say about Spielberg's opinion of, and position on, this high-def format war, when his first high-def disc release is a Blu-ray Disc exclusive? Add to that Lucasfilm producer Rick McCallum's comments from a few weeks ago at the Star Wars Celebration convention in Europe, to the effect that if Hollywood doesn't get its you-know-what together and end this format war soon, Lucas might bypass high-def discs altogether and release the Star Wars films in high-def via download only. What does all that say about how good this format war REALLY is for consumers, regardless of Universal's belief that having helped to drive hardware prices down so quickly justifies their position? Who, at this point, does continuing this format war really benefit?

I have to tell you, folks... after our experience at EMA, and after the many revelations and announcements at Comic-Con in the week following, we remain more convinced than ever here at The Digital Bits that Blu-ray Disc is going to win this format war. It's clear to us that Universal is under significant pressure to go format neutral, even from their own parent company, and this pressure is only likely to increase as we approach the holidays. Universal's position as the sole major HD-DVD exclusive Hollywood studio is growing ever more precarious.

The fact is, high-def software sales continue to favor Blu-ray by a 2 or 3 to 1 margin, and the announcements of BD exclusive titles like Spider-Man 1-3, Pirates: Dead Man's Chest and CE3K are only likely to increase consumer and retailer interest in Blu-ray. That director Steven Spielberg would allow his first high-definition title to be Blu-ray exclusive is a significant development. The biggest HD-DVD announcement at Comic-Con was CBS's Star Trek: Remastered, which has priced itself right into the stratosphere. And the news that Target stores and BJ's Wholesale are going Blu-ray exclusive in time for the holidays would seem to us a rather strong indication of the overall retail industry's desire for this format war to be over.

What's more, with sales of Warner's 300 now selling 65/35 in favor of Blu-ray, despite the effort by the studio to create genuinely interesting HD-DVD exclusive interactive content (see this piece at USA Today), it seems all too apparent that consumers are making their format choice known to Hollywood. Indeed, we're receiving more inquiries than ever before from readers who have decided to get into high-definition, and want our advice on purchasing the right Blu-ray player - a trend that reminds us strongly of a similar surge of interest in DVD in the final days of Circuit City's DIVX pay-per-view format. And after all of this, we remain firmly convinced that the moment Universal announces that it's going to start supporting both Blu-ray Disc as well as HD-DVD - a move we see as inevitable at this point given continuing software sales trends - the mainstream press will declare the format war over and Blu-ray the winner. Retailers will quickly reorganize their sales efforts towards Blu-ray and away from HD-DVD, if they haven't already, and this thing will be done.

That's not to say that HD-DVD will disappear. Studios that currently support the format will probably continue to do so. But most retailers will likely not be as friendly. And as Blu-ray hardware prices continue to drop moving into 2008 and beyond... the choice for the vast majority of consumers interested in high-def on disc will be even more obvious than it already is. Keep in mind, all of this is playing out without a SINGLE new Blu-ray title announcement from Fox or MGM... and Fox continues to tell me that new announcements ARE coming.

It seems to us as if the writing is starting to appear on the wall. Completely setting aside personal feelings about Sony or Toshiba or Microsoft, how anyone can continue arguing at this point that HD-DVD is going to win this format war is hard to comprehend. At this rate, it's our belief that the best HD-DVD can hope for is to survive. This is nothing personal, folks... it's just the way we see it.

• Reply 2766 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Say hello to my little friend

Yeah baby 24fps

DTS-MA

HDMI 1.3a native bitstream output

Onkyo quality.

300 is sure going to look great on this player and sound great too.
  • Reply 2767 of 4650
    hot chahot cha Posts: 37member
    Onkyo quality = Average
  • Reply 2768 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah baby 24fps

DTS-MA

Onkyo quality.

Your little friend is $900. Funny how all your bitching and moaning about how Blu-ray is too expensive suddenly dies down when you're talking about expensive HD DVD players. And I've owned Onkyo equipment. It's nothing to write home about. Funnier still that earlier this thread you were arguing that 24fps doesn't matter because HDTVs do pulldown. Now you're saying it's something important. Make up your bloody mind.

Quote:

So you're saying it looks and sounds like crap on an A2?
  • Reply 2769 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted in DigitalBits:

a trend that reminds us strongly of a similar surge of interest in DVD in the final days of Circuit City's DIVX pay-per-view format.

Wait, is he talking about the "best/most popular downloadable codec right now"?

And I ask again: If GE were genuinely interested in supporting HD DVD as their subsidiary Universal claims to be, then where are the GE-branded HD DVD players?
  • Reply 2770 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Yeah baby 24fps

DTS-MA

Onkyo quality.

your post is making the BD Fanboys become even more hostile.....

This must be good news for HD-DVD......

Kidding aside, I wouldn't call Onkyo a highend brand, but it ain't a J6P brand either. It's good to see other than toshiba finally releasing a higher end unit. Now, where are those cheap chinese players for J6P?..... aren't they planned for sept/oct. release?....
  • Reply 2771 of 4650
    Avex DVD to Mobile Video Suite is an All-in-One solution to create Mobile Phone 3GP movies from DVDs, TV shows and downloaded videos. The software combines DVD to 3GP Converter and 3GP Video Converter in one package for discounted price.

www.mobile-video-converter.com/dvd-to-mobile
  • Reply 2772 of 4650
    Quote:

Yeah baby 24fps

DTS-MA

Onkyo quality.

Unlike some people (including bite) I'm not gonna shit on your purchase.. good for you I hope you enjoy it, new gear is always exciting, new expensive gear is (I find) fraught with "I will, I won't, I can afford it, I can't" so as an adult who has considered their options and made a choice, you don't need people telling you, your gear sucks. I'm sure you will get good use from it

Now back to the fighting
  • Reply 2773 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Kidding aside, I wouldn't call Onkyo a highend brand, but it ain't a J6P brand either. It's good to see other than toshiba finally releasing a higher end unit. Now, where are those cheap chinese players for J6P?..... aren't they planned for sept/oct. release?....

You've done nothing but harp on about the J6P $199 player, but now suddenly a $900 player is "good" for HD-DVD I thought it was the pursuit of the $99 player that would be good for HD-DVD? make up your mind
  • Reply 2774 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

You had me laughing out loud on this one! And I agree totally!

You heard the news about Universal and the dipwad gang selling DRM free music, but NOT to the largest download store world wide?

How can these people feel justified when they get paid every month? I guess you don't need an IQ test to work for Universal
  • Reply 2775 of 4650
    walter: Universal Music is a blu-ray contributor

Universal Music is owned by Vivendi, a french company.
  • Reply 2776 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member

I was referring more in particular to Paprika. Regardless, $50-80 for a single movie is a bit beyond the pall for me. And frankly, it wouldn't take much effort on the part of Sony to bring them over. I can only guess that they don't think that the target market is big enough - which is probably a false assumption, considering that most Blu-ray consumers are PS3 owners, and the typical PS3 owner is far more likely to be an anime watcher than the average.

Meh. Buggers.
  • Reply 2777 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by getluv View Post

walter: Universal Music is a blu-ray contributor

Universal Music is owned by Vivendi, a french company.

Goodness! how does that work then? I was under the impression that Universal was all under the one umbrella.

Quote:

"Universal Music Group is the latest in a continually growing list of companies that have told us Blu-ray Disc's capacity and functionality are important to the growth of their future business," said Brian Zucker, Blu-ray spokesperson and Technology Strategist at Dell. "In collaboration with the world's leading technology and content companies, we are on track to launch a complete high-definition format that is a quantum leap in innovation and delivers a dramatic new consumer experience in all areas of home entertainment -- movies, music and games."

a little googling found this
  • Reply 2778 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Murch writes:

Quote:

Yeah baby 24fps

DTS-MA

Onkyo quality.

and I replied:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

then you replied to me with:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You've done nothing but harp on about the J6P $199 player, but now suddenly a $900 player is "good" for HD-DVD I thought it was the pursuit of the $99 player that would be good for HD-DVD? make up your mind

is this a real question or are you just being a BD fanboy, again?

I'm not sure whether I should ignore you or not......
  • Reply 2779 of 4650
    Just don't ignore this, mmmkay...Bluray owning HD DVD yet again. HD DVD remains in the 30 percentile...

• Reply 2780 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    That's 12 percentage points away from 50/50 !!!!!

In other words

a half a million HD DVD players are a mere 12 percentage points away from equaling the movie purchase potential of over 2 million Blu-ray players. That' s freaking amazing and proof that HD DVD owners are voracious movie consumers.

The future looks bright. Onkyo is coming online with a high end player. Toshiba has 3rd generation players coming. More vendors will jump in in Q4 and Toshiba will be shipping all laptops with HD DVD drives next year.

I'm a happy man indeed.