Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 421 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I thought Microsoft announced way back in 2005 that HD DVD support in Vista would trail Vista's launch by a year or so?

I think it depends on what you mean by "support." Native support doesn't appear to be on the horizon, howerver, like I said, if you want playback support, third party vendors will allow playback once their software is purchased.
  • Reply 422 of 4650
    From a thread on Blu-ray.com...

Quote:

This is from Best Buy's Retail Insider, a tool employees use to keep informed of whats going on...

If retailers like Best Buy know it, you can bet CC knows it along with all other B & M retailers and online retailers...)

Verdict? Blu-ray clearly has the momentum.
  • Reply 423 of 4650
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Evidence? Yes

Verdict? No
  • Reply 424 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    LOL.... I was wondering when that claim will be posted on this thread. If you include the free BD-DVD in on the PS3's .... possiblly true, but either way, the trend is not sustainable. With new releases from HD-DVD and lack of interest for PS3 along with post CES, BD movie sales have been declining below HD-DVD, again. Well, there were tons of one time bd movie buyers to see what it was all about along with PS3 purchases, but most of them will not buy another bd- movies again. And just wait until the end of the month of January, the BD movie sales will be even worse than today.
  • Reply 425 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

LOL.... I was wondering when that claim will be posted on this thread. If you include the free BD-DVD in on the PS3's .... possiblly true, but either way, the trend is not sustainable. With new releases from HD-DVD and lack of interest for PS3 along with post CES, BD movie sales have been declining below HD-DVD, again. Well, there were tons of one time bd movie buyers to see what it was all about along with PS3 purchases, but most of them will not buy another bd- movies again. And just wait until the end of the month of January, the BD movie sales will be even worse than today.

Not sustainable, but HD DVD sales will be with all 152,000 HD DVD players out there (60,000 standalones have been sold to date along with 92,000 add-ons). Hmm, and Blu-ray with its 1 million + players out there won't be sustainable in contrast...suuuuure, whatever you say.
  • Reply 426 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

LOL.... With new releases from HD-DVD and lack of interest for PS3 along with post CES, BD movie sales have been declining below HD-DVD, again.

Do you have proof of this? LOL....
  • Reply 427 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Not sustainable, but HD DVD sales will be with all 152,000 HD DVD players out there (60,000 standalones have been sold to date along with 92,000 add-ons). Hmm, and Blu-ray with its 1 million + players out there won't be sustainable in contrast...suuuuure, whatever you say.

Haha... as expected, you're twisting things like Sony does. You're figures aren't correct....on both HD or BD figures.... BTW, where's the BD standalone player figures?... Oh.... yeah, they don't sell because of PS3..... and all PS3 buyers all of a sudden become die hard BD movie fans.......... 1 Million PS3 shipped is alot...... but many are collecting dust either in the warehouse or on the store shelves..... Go PS3!!!! The ultimate trojan horse to BD!
  • Reply 428 of 4650
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

...suuuuure, whatever you say.

Don't be so quick to mock. You've been absolutely 100% convinced of blu-ray's triumph since before any numbers were out even.
  • Reply 429 of 4650
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yeah, I can totally see Apple supporting Microsoft's Xbox 360 as one of their top priorities...

By the way, in already having a laptop loaded with the final RTM build of Vista, I can assure you that you DO NOT have native HD DVD playback. Not in the Enterprise version nor in the most expensive "Ultimate" version. How about native DVD playback on Vista out of the box? Nope not even that, although supposedly the Ultimate version will at least give you native DVD playback which has been apart of the Mac OS for how long? Anyhow, I just want to point out to you that Microsoft's Vista is going to be a non-factor for the HD DVD format. It appears they are going the route of what XP gave us, an OS that will give you both DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray playback albeit in the form of third party software at an additional cost. So much for the OOB experience Microshaft.

Time to get a blu-ray drive.

Good point. Because Sony's OS totally has native Blu-Ray support.
  • Reply 430 of 4650
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Stand alone players and XBox add-ons are specifically being purchased to play back HD movies.

We would have to assume that PS3s are being purchased largely to play video games.

So it follows that the attachment rate for HD DVD playback gear is going to be substantially higher than for the PS3.

This point strikes me as incontestable, and it has been rehashed a number of times on this thread. So how come you keep forgetting?
  • Reply 431 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Stand alone players and XBox add-ons are specifically being purchased to play back HD movies. We would have to assume that PS3s are being purchased largely to play video games. . .

Both sides to this discussion have been making unsupported assumptions. I found six $599 PS3s at Circuit City. All the $499 units were sold out. Likely these are for playing BD movies, since gamers seem to prefer to spend just $100 more to get the works, according to many previous posts.

Of the over 1 million PS3s shipped, likely 850,000 are sold. Half of those may be for BD movies, far more than Xbox devotees give PS3 fans credit for. I'd say that 350,000 PS3s for playing BD movies is a reasonable guess; 250,000 would be conservative.

I hope there is a winner in this war, at least a winner in terms of most movies being pressed on that format. Some may stay exclusive, but if 90 percent come out in both formats, that's okay.

My friends are split. The ones with an Xbox of course have the $199 add-on. We have a PS2 and lots of games, so I would be much happier getting a PS3.

• Reply 432 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Snoopy

That's not how it's going down

PS3 sales had their worst week in sales

PS3 sales dropping in Japan

Playstation 3 missies goals by %25

Sony only sold 490,700 consoles in December

The demand for the PS3 is ALREADY waning clearly. The Wii is still red hot.

So you can certainly rule out the 850k pipe dream. I'd say they're probably lucky if %15 are using their consoles consistently for movie playing as

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/Top.cfm

HD DVD is still maintaining their lead overall in Top 20 movie sales.

That being said I think you should get a PS3 because you have a PS2. I don't hate Blu-ray I just don't think it's measurably better than HD DVD to the point where I feel like I have to pay more.

I see the battle working out like this.

Toshiba will sell 2 million players worldwide this year. Sony will have 6 million BD players primarily through the PS3.

Warner will begin to ship their Total HD (Blu-ray/HD DVD combo discs) by late summer. Paramount will join them in delivering Total HD discs at CES 2008.

Universal will stay HD DVD exclusive until early 2008 where there will be a press release proclaiming neutrality for Universal, Fox/MGM, Lionsgate and Disney/Buena Vista. They will all announce Total HD support.

Retailers will rejoice because they now get to stock on HD movie SKU for the large studios. Both formats are assured survival and we'll have at least 3 total Universal players.

I don't think the PS3 is a bad gaming console. In fact it's great but it simply doesn't have enough games to drive additional demand after the first wave of consumers have purchased.
  • Reply 433 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Price is definitely the downside for the PS3 after the holidays and that gives nintendo the gaming advantage temporarily in some aspects, but these 3rd gen systems have a long life ahead of them and the Wii is not HD capable. The PS3 did however out sell the 360 so it's still in good demand, but I for one am just now feeling the weight from my holiday credit card bills, which are arriving daily, and I think there are lot more people in the same boat. I see that as temporary down turn. But on the upside I have already submitted my tax return and I expect that in a week, and out for about four weeks after that some of those sales will pick up from tax returns alone. Xmas recovery is much worse for some than others, and that put's a big variable into the whole assessment which makes it pretty hard to predict.
  • Reply 434 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    This thread is definitely fun.

We have HD-DVD, BluRay and Total HD advocates.

Wouldn't it be really funny if the winner turned out to be none of the above?
  • Reply 435 of 4650
    Woops I did it again

Quote:

In less that 24 hours, without any Blu-Ray equipment, but with the help of Janvitos, I managed to decrypt and play a Blu-Ray media file using my known-plaintext attack...

The file from the movie "Lord of war", play well with VideoLan.

Janvitos gave me few files on the BD disc and a memory dump...

Note that I don't address BD+. The file don't seem to be BD+ protected.

I will keep you informed If I found anything new...

You new it was coming.
  • Reply 436 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Snoopy

That's not how it's going down

PS3 sales had their worst week in sales

PS3 sales dropping in Japan

Playstation 3 missies goals by %25

Sony only sold 490,700 consoles in December

The demand for the PS3 is ALREADY waning clearly. The Wii is still red hot.

So you can certainly rule out the 850k pipe dream. I'd say they're probably lucky if %15 are using their consoles consistently for movie playing as

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/Top.cfm

HD DVD is still maintaining their lead overall in Top 20 movie sales.

That being said I think you should get a PS3 because you have a PS2. I don't hate Blu-ray I just don't think it's measurably better than HD DVD to the point where I feel like I have to pay more.

I see the battle working out like this.

Toshiba will sell 2 million players worldwide this year. Sony will have 6 million BD players primarily through the PS3.

Warner will begin to ship their Total HD (Blu-ray/HD DVD combo discs) by late summer. Paramount will join them in delivering Total HD discs at CES 2008.

Universal will stay HD DVD exclusive until early 2008 where there will be a press release proclaiming neutrality for Universal, Fox/MGM, Lionsgate and Disney/Buena Vista. They will all announce Total HD support.

Retailers will rejoice because they now get to stock on HD movie SKU for the large studios. Both formats are assured survival and we'll have at least 3 total Universal players.

I don't think the PS3 is a bad gaming console. In fact it's great but it simply doesn't have enough games to drive additional demand after the first wave of consumers have purchased.

The problem is the numbers are meaningless right now. Let's talk in a year and see where we are.
  • Reply 437 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    You have to love that Best Buy notice above. Certain people here always say "Blu-ray is too expensive. PS3 is too expensive. It'll all be moot with universal players anyway." The LG will be a few hundred bucks more than standalone Blu-ray players, according to that notice. You can buy an HD DVD player and a PS3 for that price, so why would anybody buy the LG?
  • Reply 438 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The problem is the numbers are meaningless right now. Let's talk in a year and see where we are.

You have to look at the numbers TODAY to get an idea about where we're going to be in a year. Numbers are never meangingless.
  • Reply 439 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    That's not necessarily true. Beta was more popular than VHS for a while. Look what happened there.

Me I think it's too early either way, but I still think Blu-Ray will win because of capacity.
  • Reply 440 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That's not necessarily true. Beta was more popular than VHS for a while. Look what happened there.

Me I think it's too early either way, but I still think Blu-Ray will win because of capacity.

Of course, you're entitled to belive whatever you wish to, but the question of storage capacity on either format in the Hi-Def format movies become irrelevant. For movies, 30GB in advance codec has shown to be more than enough storage space for 3+ hour movies in top quality PQ. King Kong is a good example where none of the BD movies on the 50GB disc can come close in PQ to the 30GB HD-DVD as of today. Unless, studios are putting multiple sequals on one disc..... which will never happen, 50GB is over kill for movies when using advance H264AVC or VC-1. However, for sony using MPEG2, they may need more than 50 GB dual layer BD and the storage capacity is definite issue only on BD movies from Sony.