Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4401 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

While at some point studios may have a SD-DVD phase out strategy, if there's overwhelming consumer rejection of HDM they may not be able to implement it. Given the lackluster support of HD studios for December and BD ones after 4 December, one has to wonder how totally committed studios are to HDM. The Christmas buying season is when many people make impulse purchases and the lack of quality December titles beyond Harry Potter and Blade Runner makes one wonder as to what's going on with the studios. It doesn't seem like they're putting much resources behind HDM.

I'm not sure how much you follow movie(SD-DVD) releases, it's not just HDM's, the SD-DVD releases are dried up, too.

I know Blu-Ray side had put a lot of efforts last year during the PS3 launch, but I don't believe that is the commond practice for many studios.
  • Reply 4402 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

You're funny. Your opinions definately reflect why you're so Gong-Ho towards blu-ray, perhaps the reason is because you follow Bill Hunt.

I was actually discrediting both, but I think Bill Hunt is even worse than Mr. Enderle. Mr. Enderle is presenting his personal opinions based on what had happened, but Bill Hunt mostly puts a spin on how things will happen in the future in favor of Blu-Ray. Bill Hunt is the leader of Blu-Ray fanboys, and your leader.

Edited: photo confirmation

BTW, are we talking about same Bill Hunt?

Confirmation of what?
  • Reply 4403 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Confirmation of bitemymac's unparalleled hatred of Blu-ray.
  • Reply 4404 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Sounds about right.
  • Reply 4405 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

haha... such a predictable blu-ray fanboy response.

I personally don't have any problem with blu-ray. I just don't like what is being said by blu-ray fanboys on the thread or other forums.

I don't mind the fans, but I do have unparalleled hatred of fanboys for their pest-like quality.
  • Reply 4406 of 4650
    ahh when in doubt, and when unable to form a resoned argument, just call people FANBOYS.. now THATS childish
  • Reply 4407 of 4650
    Milestone reached over Black Friday shopping weekend

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/3/2007

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6509196.html

Quote:

DEC. 3 | The Blu-ray Disc Assn. is touting a new milestone passed over the Black Friday shopping period, noting that player sales since launch reached 2.7 million units through Nov. 24.

Like the HD DVD camp?s recent claims, the figure encompasses both Blu-ray-capable gaming devices and Blu-ray set-top players.

Through October, there had been 2 million units sold of the Blu-ray-enhanced PlayStation 3. That arguably gives Blu-ray set-tops a 700,000 piece of overall format unit sales. But the picture is muddied somewhat by the likely gangbuster PlayStation 3 sales in November due to the introduction of the relatively cheap $399 PlayStation 3. November console sales will not be available from the NPD Group until mid-December.

It?s tough to calculate specific gains for Blu-ray set-tops, as many of the manufacturers have not released sales information on their players to this point.

Still, the 2.7 million sold is a clear achievement over the HD DVD side, which pushed its installment base to 750,000 units following widespread holiday retail sales, notably including $99-priced players at Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Although not as steeply priced-slashed as rival HD DVD, many Blu-ray players also were sale-priced at retail. Several chains were offering Samsung and Sony Blu-ray players at $399, $100 below their $499 list prices.

The BDA last week also trumpeted its continuing lead in Blu-ray software sales, which in the weeks leading up to Black Friday had been outpacing HD DVD titles by a two-to-one ratio. During the Black Friday period, BD titles made up 72.6% of all high-def purchases, with HD DVD totaling 27.4%, according to Nielsen/VideoScan figures cited by BDA.

The fact that BD software remains the sales leader in an environment of heavy HD DVD player discounting is especially heartening to the BDA.

A statement from the group noted, ?Despite the $99 HD DVD fire sale, Blu-ray movies were flying off the shelves in this crucial holiday shopping period.?

According to the BD camp, total BD disc sales in the U.S. since launch topped 4 million units in November, about the same time HD DVD software sales passed just 2.5 million units.

To date in the U.S., 18 of the Top 20 high-def releases are Blu-ray, according to the BD camp.

According to Media Control Gfk International figures cited by BDA, BD movies control 73% of the European market, outselling HD DVD by a three-to-one margin, and BD holds a 95% share of the high-def recorder market in Japan.

• Reply 4408 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    So I was thinking...in 3-4 years when the next-generation xBox goes on sale, what media do you suppose it's games will come on? The format that it's number one competitor has poured millions of dollars into and banked it's entire gaming console on? Or something else? We won't yet be at a point where downloading massive games will be feasible, so the current generation of consoles certainly won't be the last to use physical games of some sort. I imagine both formats will live on in the console systems for many years to come still, regardless of what happens with films.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Milestone reached over Black Friday shopping weekend

By Susanne Ault -- Video Business, 12/3/2007

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6509196.html

Why is there no mention of the fact that PS3 sales do not automatically equal Blu-Ray users?

As retarded as claiming the iPod is the number one gaming system in the world, just because it has games on it.
  • Reply 4409 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Sounds about right.

Hey Marz, nice to see you back. You were a bit quiet when the Walmart news broke.

You spent a lot of time back in April or so posting about how Walmart wasn't carrying cheap HD-DVD players and that the rumours of inexpensive Chinese-made players hitting North American shores this year were just FUD.

Now that you've been proved totally wrong on both counts, how do you think this will affect the war in early 2008?
  • Reply 4410 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Hey Marz, nice to see you back. You were a bit quiet when the Walmart news broke.

I haven't gone anywhere?...What's up with the welcoming back? I've been posting quite regulary, so I don't know what you're attempting to allude to here.

Quote:

You spent a lot of time back in April or so posting about how Walmart wasn't carrying cheap HD-DVD players and that the rumours of inexpensive Chinese-made players hitting North American shores this year were just FUD.

Care to be specific? You claim things here but I think before you accuse me in generalities, it would be prudent on your part to show me what you are talking about, so that I may give you a proper retort. Otherwise, your simply stereotyping me.

Quote:

Now that you've been proved totally wrong on both counts, how do you think this will affect the war in early 2008?

Show me where I've been proven totally wrong please. I'm interested, honestly. Furthermore, it might serve you well to take into account the concept of time when I may have posted an article or given an opinion. Furthermore, I don't recall posting an article on Wal-mart planning not to carry the Venturer player, and IF I did, it was due to the fact that every Internet high-def news site was releasing an article saying such based off a direct statement from Wal-mart themselves. But, I implore you to show me.

Effect in 2008? About the same effect price has had in 2007 for HD DVD--losing 52:0.
  • Reply 4411 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Probably this has been mentioned before and I missed it, but here it is. It is in french (hopefully soon in english too over at hardmac.com), and it says that Leopard has already extensive built-in support for BD as backup media. It recognizes correctly blue ray disks, and it can read, write and erase data on such a disk. It cannot however play BD movies because of the lack of HDCP support and issues with the DVD Player on Apple systems. There is no mention though about how Leopard reacts when inserting a HD-DVD.
  • Reply 4412 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Furthermore, I don't recall posting an article on Wal-mart planning not to carry the Venturer player, and IF I did, it was due to the fact that every Internet high-def news site was releasing an article saying such based off a direct statement from Wal-mart themselves. But, I implore you to show me.

I believe what you actually wrote was that there would be no cheap Chinese HD DVD players at Walmart. Which, of course, there aren't, at Walmart or anywhere else. As for the Venturer, it's been pointed out that this is only at Walmart in Canada. Some have claimed that it takes a big company to satisfy Walmart's supplier requirements, which shows how big Venturer is. Except they're not supplying U.S. stores. Walmart Canada is a much smaller organization with much lower sales, serving a population only about 1/10th the size of the American population. That Venturer players or for that matter anything Venturer aren't available here tells me that they can't fulfill the American supplier requirements and that this is likely just favoritism shown to a fellow Canadian company. Walmart is known to do that around the world to make it look less like a monolithic global behemoth and more like a local organization. Neither is the Venturer a "cheap" player, given that it's about the same price as the low-end Toshiba.
  • Reply 4413 of 4650
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12...ns_go_blu_ray/

Quote:

Major Australian rental chains Video Ezy and Blockbuster - both of which are owned by the same company, Franchise Entertainment Group - have gone all-out for Blu-ray Disc, they said today. Neither chain - comprising 870 stores in total - will now offer HD DVD rentals.

According to FEG Managing Director Paul Uniacke, quoted by the Sydney Morning Herald, that the decision had been made because of what he claimed was the HD DVD camp's slow roll out of the next-gen optical disc format Down Under.

HD DVD, he said, was "missing the boat".

The Herald cited stats from market watcher GfK showing that some 2241 Blu-ray Disc players have been bought by Australians to date. But Aussies have bought only 609 HD DVD machines. The BD figure does not include PlayStation 3 purchases, of which 100,000 have been bought since the console when on sale at the end of March. Some 2461 HD DVD Xbox 360 add-ons have been bought too.

GfK's numbers show sales of 102,000 Blu-ray Discs in Australia but only 18,000 HD DVDs, though that figure doesn't include region-free discs purchased from US and European sellers.

• Reply 4414 of 4650
    Yet another legitimate bogo for Blu-Ray. What's that make, four Bogo's this season for Blu-Ray? HD DVD has yet to have a legitimate BOGO on a week when Blu-Ray didn't have one, and yet again all that's offered is 40% instead of the standard 33% off select HD DVD titles - just a dollar or two less than any other day. Toshiba really needs to step up if they are to hold their ground, as Sony and the Blu-Ray camp are obviously more than happy to buy their marketshare at whatever cost. At least they're still trying to sell players.

Update: Toys R Us is currently selling the xBox 360 HD DVD add-on for $129. With standalone players going for $199 in places, the regular price for the add-on ought to be $99 instead of the $179 it usually sells for.
  • Reply 4415 of 4650
    Quote:

Good find Fishy.
  • Reply 4416 of 4650
  • Reply 4417 of 4650
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

What Bay Really Thinks...

Wow marzetta7, really scraping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? As if it wasn't bad enough that you post the same story over the course of a week from three different sources reporting the exact same sales figures, but now you're digging up stuff from August? Just because Bay bought in to the Blu-Ray fanboy sob story, that doesn't make it true.
  • Reply 4418 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Wow marzetta7, really scraping the bottom of the barrel now aren't ya? As if it wasn't bad enough that you post the same story over the course of a week from three different sources reporting the exact same sales figures, but now you're digging up stuff from August? Just because Bay bought in to the Blu-Ray fanboy sob story, that doesn't make it true.

• Reply 4419 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

I believe what you actually wrote was that there would be no cheap Chinese HD DVD players at Walmart. Which, of course, there aren't, at Walmart or anywhere else. As for the Venturer, it's been pointed out that this is only at Walmart in Canada. Some have claimed that it takes a big company to satisfy Walmart's supplier requirements, which shows how big Venturer is. Except they're not supplying U.S. stores. Walmart Canada is a much smaller organization with much lower sales, serving a population only about 1/10th the size of the American population. That Venturer players or for that matter anything Venturer aren't available here tells me that they can't fulfill the American supplier requirements and that this is likely just favoritism shown to a fellow Canadian company.

Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly that you have to resort to outright lies? I have already posted that it's been confirmed that the Venturer is being carried at both Walmart and Target stores across the U.S.

This information is easily available from Google.
  • Reply 4420 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly that you have to resort to outright lies? I have already posted that it's been confirmed that the Venturer is being carried at both Walmart and Target stores across the U.S.

This information is easily available from Google.

I love the way you start your post saying "Is Blu-Ray really doing so badly" - As if...

Anyway, Target went Blu-Ray exclusive. I don't know when they were supposedly caring this Venturer, but unless it's an xbox 360 add on HD drive, they aren't carrying it any longer. I know that for a fact. Who ever is saying other wise is the lying source.

Anyway, what I came to post was that I bought my first two Blu_ray movie titles today. Pirates 2, and 3. Man was there a lot of people at Best Buy buying those movies. There are a lot more Blu-Ray owners out there than I had imagined. I thought I may see like one or two other people buying for HD. Boy was I wrong. Most of my line had Blu-Ray titles. Super-Bad was really popular. I never even saw the movie, but it was a pretty hot item.