Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 4341 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Walter, I rented Spider 3 from Netflix. None of the series is a must-buy for me.

Thanks for getting back to me (the threads so all over the place) glad you didn't buy it at least, if you thought it wasn't up to much. Just sat through a TERRIBLE "B" movie that a friend HAD to see... yeek, I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Nomads... NEVER EVER even give it the time of day. really. its B A D. and not in an 80s way
  • Reply 4342 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I think the US is the only country that has anyone that was actually stupid enough to buy an HD-DVD player. I'm guessing mostly Nascar fans.

Astute observation.

but the nascar thing is over my head, must be a cultural ref.

of course the only thing I know about nascar is that you don't have to turn right*? which seems odd for a "sport"

*or is it left?
  • Reply 4343 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

Are not ALL early adopters a bit egotistical by definition? I think most of the people who ran out and picked up either format were just dying to brag to their neigbor or fellow early adopter how awesome the pic looks on their TV. And I would be willing to bet that half of them bought their HDTV in or before 2004 and don't even have HDMI, let alone a DVI connection on the back of their TVs!

I say this because i am typically an early adopter, and I bought my TV in 2004, Hitachi 50V500 with a measly DVI connection. But i have managed to hold back on the next gen DVD player purchase because above all, i am a Star Wars fanatic! I will follow George Lucas to the edges of the universe! so... BRING ON STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY in HD so i can buy it for the 4th time!!! Excuse me while i change my pants...

ye know the whole "praise be to star wars" thing confuses the hell outta me, I mean I was there in 77' being stunned n all, but why do you need to keep buying the damned films?

they only just fleeced you for the DVD release of the trilogy where Greedo shot first, then did a limited release of the "way it was when i were but a lad/don't rape my childhood memories edition" and it took Lucas about 9 years before he thought DVD was worthy.

how long you think its gonna take till its out on BD? YEARS yet IMO.

Some of the additions like CP3O on the speeder need some serious work to not look like complete ass IMO and that scene isn't the worst either.

I guess I'm looking forward to the FINAL FINAL edition, also a few years to feel like I wasn't ripped on the DVD trilogy

and I don't mind waiting 10 years if they can edit out Hayden Can't-act-inson, maybe put in a plank of wood...
  • Reply 4344 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/5120/6/0

...and according to many other forums, HD DVD has tried to match the Blu-ray BOGO's over at Amazon as well.

A buy-two-get-one for both HD DVD and Blu-Ray is no a Buy-one-get-one for HD DVD. And I haven't seen or heard of any Buy-One-Get one on Amazon strictly for HD DVD, either.
  • Reply 4345 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I really can't understand this need to jump on someone and call them a fanboy (no matter which direction it goes) calling someone a fanboy is just a quick way of letting the world know you can't originate a valid argument.

Hmm.. what would you call a valid argument?... Did you read what was posted and agree with such ridiculous statement?.....

"Poor people can not afford $20 HDM price after buying a $98 HD-DVD player"

If this isn't a fanboy act/behavior, then perhaps it's act of a troll? Take your pick!

If I had made a similar statement about PS3 owner, I'm sure you will be the first to name me as such.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Between the lines of these two post though is the "evidence" that it is STILL an early adopter market, DESPITE the cheaper prices. do you have a second HD-DVD player?

are these cheap players going into a second location in an already pro HD-DVD household? or are they genuine first time HD-DVD owners?

or, indeed, are they going into homes that are now format neutral?

there is no break down of this information. the market segment of HDM is small and it is not as simple as "you ONLY buy BD/you ONLY buy HD-DVD" as you yourself should well know what price for you to put a BD drive in your HTPC?

I don't like buying cheap stuff for my main HT, and I did pass up on the $98 HD-DVD player. I wouldn't say cheap, but I need a player with HiDef Audio processing capabilities and analog 5.1 out, but the entry level players do not offer this option. And I already have XA1 & XA2 at two different viewing locations. I would not mind getting a cheaper Blu-Ray player/drive as an alternative HiDef format, though.

If there is a $99 deal on a Blu-Ray player/Drive with profile 1.1 compliance ready hardware this holidays, I would buy one in a heart beat. I'm sure even the alternative HiDef format is worth $100 for the keep sake. I would much prefer a PC drive for the price because I really want to be able to rip all the HDM discs and store them in the HDD. I don't have to worry about optical format at all for viewings and can access entire movie library in every room with a PC.

Anyway, who cares where these $98 HD-DVD players are going. As long as it sells like hot cakes, it will find it's home of new, old, and neutral HDM supporting homes.
  • Reply 4346 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:

Wow. I actually found one.

I actually couldn't care less about NASCAR, but I do find the whole red-state/blue-state cultural divide (and those who perpetuate it) kind of idiotic.

And typically, isn't the point of a joke to be funny?

More on topic, Rataouille, 2001: ASO, Edward Scissorhands, and Paprika all incoming on Blu-ray. Wewt.
  • Reply 4347 of 4650
    Quote:

I think the US is the only country that has anyone that was actually stupid enough to buy an HD-DVD player. I'm guessing mostly Nascar fans.

Blu-ray wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence. HD DVD, if your not first, your last.

-Ricky Bobby

Maybe HD DVD should rename itself the Magic Man? Now you see them...now you don't.
  • Reply 4348 of 4650
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

I actually couldn't care less about NASCAR, but I do find the whole red-state/blue-state cultural divide (and those who perpetuate it) kind of idiotic.

The red state/blue state divide is real, and based on economic forces (red states are poorer, and have a greater difference between rich and poor), I don't see the point in ignoring reality - but it definitely isn't very applicable to the subject. I think that a more valid criticism of the original poster is that he is a snob, and his argument boils down to "Poor people are stupid and have bad taste".
  • Reply 4349 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

The red state/blue state divide is real, and based on economic forces (red states are poorer, and have a greater difference between rich and poor), I don't see the point in ignoring reality - but it definitely isn't very applicable to the subject. I think that a more valid criticism of the original poster is that he is a snob, and his argument boils down to "Poor people are stupid and have bad taste".

C'mon guys, it was pretty clear onlooker was joking. Let's give 'em a break.

Speaking of breaks, it seems HD DVD may need a permanent one with the official numbers out now...

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending November 25th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...0207/index.php

WE: BD-72% HDD-28% YTD: BD-65% HDD-35% SI: BD-62% HDD-38%

^^^Notice the uptick in favor of Blu-ray in the SI department
  • Reply 4350 of 4650
    On page 35 of the Nielsen/VideoScan report...

• Reply 4351 of 4650

• Reply 4352 of 4650
    Thanks for the happy thoughts, Marz.
  • Reply 4353 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Honestly, out of all the movies on that list the only one I would like to own would be 300.

I'm waiting for a few of my favorites to move to Blu-Ray like: V for Vendetta, Sin City, Star Wars (Original Trilogy). I'll get the Pirates Trilogy, The 5th Element (obviously), and I'll have to see what's available after that. I know there is a lot of good movies on Blu-Ray, but I don't think that many were actually shot in High-def so I don't see the point in buying a lot of older movies in high-def. Is it going to be much difference with an old movie like CASABLANCA on a Blu-ray disk over upscaling the standard DVD?

What about a newer one shot with better film with somewhat better resolution like Pulp Fiction?
  • Reply 4354 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    The prior week was probably one of the best release week of Blu-Ray. Including Rata & Cars being only two weeks ago.

Here is the release list:

HD DVD

Tremors (Universal)

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One (Paramount)

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Warner)

BD

Badder Santa: The Unrated Version (Buena Vista)

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (Buena Vista)

Hairspray (New Line)

Die Hard (Fox)

Die Hard 2: Die Harder (Fox)

Die Hard with a Vengence (Fox)

The Die Hard Collection (Fox)

Live Free or Die Hard (Fox)

Pathfinder (Fox)

Rescue Dawn (MGM)

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (Warner)

The prior week is less likely to be repeated again, perhaps ever. The remaining future release schedule seems to be pretty much on par for both formats. The pirates will be the last hope or the Blu-Ray world's end and would have to do a lot more B1G1 Blu-Ray deals to come close to 70/30 for rest of the year.

So... is it going to be B1G1 or the $98 HDM player that will fuel the HDM market for the holidays?
  • Reply 4355 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

On page 35 of the Nielsen/VideoScan report...

Jesus, they're really milking their best week of releases for all it's worth, aren't they? Where's the fine print that reads "On Thanksgiving week Blu-Ray released ten films — most of them good — while HD DVD had two shitty films and a $200 boxset"? \ This would be akin to Microsoft taking out an full-page ad the week after Halo 3's release which read, "last week 98 out of 100 console games sold were for xBox 360". Rather misleading, even if it is true.
  • Reply 4356 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Also note that they strategically leave out how many game consoles have been sold, as well as the fact that virtually all major retailers in the US have shunned the Venturer.

Ouch. I almost feel sorry for the Blu-Rayers with this post.

Today Walmart's 'Electronic gifts' flyer landed in my mailbox.

On the front cover, there are three products featured.

The second is the Venturer HD-DVD player bundled with two movies. There's a big blue "Exclusive to Walmart" tag, along with the 'Everyday' price listed as $199.97. There are no Blu-Ray machines or discs listed anywhere in the flyer. The Venturer player is then repeated again on Page 2.

So I guess "all major retailers" have not shunned the Venturer!

And if this signals that Walmart has made its choice, the game just got a lot more interesting.
  • Reply 4358 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Ouch. I almost feel sorry for the Blu-Rayers with this post.

Today Walmart's 'Electronic gifts' flyer landed in my mailbox.

On the front cover, there are three products featured.

The second is the Venturer HD-DVD player bundled with two movies. There's a big blue "Exclusive to Walmart" tag, along with the 'Everyday' price listed as $199.97. There are no Blu-Ray machines or discs listed anywhere in the flyer. The Venturer player is then repeated again on Page 2.

So I guess "all major retailers" have not shunned the Venturer!

And if this signals that Walmart has made its choice, the game just got a lot more interesting.

Your reading comprehension needs work. Do you know what "virtually" means? Virtually all≠all. Comprende?

So, the question is, if someone can buy a Toshiba with ten free movies or whatever the current offer is for the same price or as little as half of the price of the Venturer, then what's in it for the consumer or Venturer? I have to wonder how long before Venturer figures it's not worth it to fight Toshiba itself and throws in the towel.
  • Reply 4359 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Your reading comprehension needs work. Do you know what "virtually" means? Virtually all≠all. Comprende?

Virtually all does equal everyone of consequence though, otherwise it's just mostly all.

Wal?Mart is of serious consequence in the format war, especially since J6P will ultimately decide the winner.
  • Reply 4360 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Virtually all does equal everyone of consequence though, otherwise it's just mostly all.

Wal?Mart is of serious consequence in the format war, especially since J6P will ultimately decide the winner.

Is there a virtually all poor people choose xxxx "joke" in there?

and J6P will only be deciding in the US.

Last I understood movies were a world wide phenomena.