Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1461 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

ah... another childish comment.... I almost forgot that you're the one with 5th grader friends. I guess it's all part of growing up.

Gee, touchy, touchy. What's the matter, still stuck with the 2nd graders? Although even a second grade English teacher would blanche at the poor structure of even your revised sentence.
  • Reply 1462 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Gee, touchy, touchy. What's the matter, still stuck with the 2nd graders? Although even a second grade English teacher would blanche at the poor structure of even your revised sentence.

grow up and move on.... as you can see, I'm not posting to impress you or your friends.
  • Reply 1463 of 4650
    hm... Sony's record breaking PS3 european launch results in lay off?...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=162101

Quote:

The European arm of Sony Computer Entertainment is preparing to lay off around 160 members of staff.

"The business targets that we face make this regrettably unavoidable," said president and CEO David Reeves in an internal email that Next-Gen reports has been leaked.

Apparently every SCEE employee will receive a letter on Wednesday informing him or her if they've been "provisionally selected at being at risk".

• Reply 1464 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,020member
    Quote:

LOL..... Most of those HD-DVD zealots wouldn't care which format wins... most are format neutral. These boys have more allowance money than they should, hence they can afford the hobby. The HD-DVD buying day was to celebrate 1st anniversary for HD-DVD launch and everyone was just having fun showing their support. Eitherway, it did make an impact and did make a huge difference, even as of today.....

BTW, you think BD fanboys are safe from this format war?... Well... just visit AVSforum/BD software. There are more die hard fanboys jumping into neutral zone because of BD software drought and lowering HD-DVD player prices. Just don't forget that this is a fun hobby for most zealots, therefore more toys are more fun for them. They usually don't cry over a dead format at all....... If you ask about SACD/DVD-A to an audiophile, you'll get a same response.... more toys.... more fun!!!!

Right...it's a "fun hobby" and part of it is to organize a buying day. Come on. Did you read the thread into? It was to "show support." Why would they need to do that? They know, that's why. HD-DVD is losing. You can spin it any way you want...it's still losing.
  • Reply 1465 of 4650
    Quote:

Of course, still too small and too early. It would require at least another year and lower HD player prices to become more significant. As I reiterated many times, we need to hit $199 player price point to get this rolling. I'm hoping and predicting to see such pricing by the holiday season this year, at least for entry level HD-DVD players.

As long as there's a format war I don't see a lower pricepoint making any difference. Even if one of the HD formats makes it down to $199 at the end of the year, it'll still be competing with all the $59 SD-DVD players out there in a format that consumers are familar with and very comfortable with.

At this point it's not a question of which HD format is winning, it's which one is loosing the least.

Apparently Toshiba has hit the 100,000 milestone of stand-alone players sold. For a whole year, this really sounds pretty patheic and the making of a niche product.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/17/hddvd/index.php

On another note I actually saw a 20GB PS3 at the GameStore in Bellevue Square when I was doing my yuppie bit today. This is the first one I've seen since I saw one last November. There seems to be good availability of the 60GB ones out there.
  • Reply 1466 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Right...it's a "fun hobby" and part of it is to organize a buying day. Come on. Did you read the thread into? It was to "show support." Why would they need to do that? They know, that's why. HD-DVD is losing. You can spin it any way you want...it's still losing.

Well... if you want to debate about the april 15th event, you can go here and read everyone else's comments. Just scroll down to the comments below the article.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/17...ing-to-amazon/
  • Reply 1467 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

As long as there's a format war I don't see a lower pricepoint making any difference. Even if one of the HD formats makes it down to $199 at the end of the year, it'll still be competing with all the $59 SD-DVD players out there in a format that consumers are familar with and very comfortable with.

At this point it's not a question of which HD format is winning, it's which one is loosing the least.

Apparently Toshiba has hit the 100,000 milestone of stand-alone players sold. For a whole year, this really sounds pretty patheic and the making of a niche product.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/04/17/hddvd/index.php

On another note I actually saw a 20GB PS3 at the GameStore in Bellevue Square when I was doing my yuppie bit today. This is the first one I've seen since I saw one last November. There seems to be good availability of the 60GB ones out there.

That's true, $59 SD-DVD players will always be preferred than to more expensive players of both HiDef formats for some consumers. However, if you had recently purchased a big screen (40+") 768p/1080p HDTV, would you still buy $59 SD-DVD player over $199 or $149 SD upcoverting Hidef Format player?

BTW, the 100k units sold is only for the North America Market (still the largest). Yes, 100k is pathetic compared to the SD market, but it's not as bad being an one year old niche product. How many standalone BD players do you think have been sold in the North America Market?... 50k?....
  • Reply 1468 of 4650
    Quote:

However, if you had recently purchased a big screen (40+") 768p/1080p HDTV, would you still buy $59 SD-DVD player over $199 or $149 SD upcoverting Hidef Format player?

Well, I'd say most people actually buy 720p or 1080i.

Quote:

grow up and move on.... as you can see, I'm not posting to impress you or your friends.

Obviously. You're not capable of impressing anyone at all given all your various misstatements.
  • Reply 1469 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Well, I'd say most people actually buy 720p or 1080i.

Obviously. You're not capable of impressing anyone at all given all your various misstatements.

Speaking of misstatements, I see a lot of 768 TVs on this page. I see one 720 display. I think it's safe to say that most 720p displays are actually 768 displays.
  • Reply 1470 of 4650
    I'm well aware of what the native resolutions of the LCDs are, but there's really no such thing as a 768p HDTV standard. It's just marketingspeak. Regardless of what source material you're watching -- 720p, 1080i or 1080p -- it won't be displayed at native resolution, which we all know isn't good on LCDs. You'll notice that the HDMI spec does not list 768p as a supported resolution because there is no source material encoded at that resolution.
  • Reply 1471 of 4650
    Quote:

I'm well aware of what the native resolutions of the LCDs are, but there's really no such thing as a 768p HDTV standard. It's just marketingspeak. Regardless of what source material you're watching -- 720p, 1080i or 1080p -- it won't be displayed at native resolution, which we all know isn't good on LCDs. You'll notice that the HDMI spec does not list 768p as a supported resolution because there is no source material encoded at that resolution.

really?...... I don't think so. I wonder why all those HDTV's are built with internal video scaler. How would you explain improved PQ from 480i dvd being upconverted on video processors to 720, 1080i, and even at 1080p?... isn't good on LCDs?

It just has to do with video source quality and the video scaler that determines how well any video source resolution can be displayed at it's native display resolution. All fixed pixel displays like plasma and LCDs are always displaying at the native display resolution processed via internal scaler. The source resolution does not have to match the native display resolution. The internal video scaler will allow any input source resolution at the display native resolution, unless the scaler isn't capable.
  • Reply 1472 of 4650
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Speaking of misstatements, I see a lot of 768 TVs on this page. I see one 720 display. I think it's safe to say that most 720p displays are actually 768 displays.

Those displays are not typical HDTVs. They seem more intended for dual HD/PC use, where 1280x720 wouldn't be sufficient real estate.
  • Reply 1473 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I may agree with you for those of us who rent DVDs, rather than buy them. I happen to belong to Netflix, and can wait out a format war, with no risk.

However, I remember when DVD was beginning to replace VHS. At that time, I stopped buying VHS tapes. I did not want to spend my money on obsolete media. I bought a PS2, the cheapest thing I could find to play DVDs, since my son also wanted to upgrade from the PS1.

Today, the same situation prevails. Why buy DVDs, which will be obsolete? The difference is that we don't know which format will win. The best solution seems to be . . . rent, don't buy.

• Reply 1474 of 4650
    Quote:

Well... if you want to debate about the april 15th event, you can go here and read everyone else's comments. Just scroll down to the comments below the article.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/04/17...ing-to-amazon/

The April 15th event is not a separate topic. A group of HD-DVD buyers decided to try and cheat the ranking system to make their losing format seem more popular than it is.
  • Reply 1475 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

The April 15th event is not a separate topic. A group of HD-DVD buyers decided to try and cheat the ranking system to make their losing format seem more popular than it is.

Well...... if you see that event as a little prank from HD-DVD community, it must've been one great prank that got everyone talking.

more about the event:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...a_Comeback/580

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9451.cfm
  • Reply 1476 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I may agree with you for those of us who rent DVDs, rather than buy them. I happen to belong to Netflix, and can wait out a format war, with no risk.

However, I remember when DVD was beginning to replace VHS. At that time, I stopped buying VHS tapes. I did not want to spend my money on obsolete media. I bought a PS2, the cheapest thing I could find to play DVDs, since my son also wanted to upgrade from the PS1.

Today, the same situation prevails. Why buy DVDs, which will be obsolete? The difference is that we don't know which format will win. The best solution seems to be . . . rent, don't buy.

Totally agree. I just joined netflix and I really like it. I don't buy a lot of movies anyway. When I do, I'm certainly not buying DVD.
  • Reply 1477 of 4650
    Quote:

really?...... I don't think so. I wonder why all those HDTV's are built with internal video scaler. How would you explain improved PQ from 480i dvd being upconverted on video processors to 720, 1080i, and even at 1080p?... isn't good on LCDs?

It just has to do with video source quality and the video scaler that determines how well any video source resolution can be displayed at it's native display resolution. All fixed pixel displays like plasma and LCDs are always displaying at the native display resolution processed via internal scaler. The source resolution does not have to match the native display resolution. The internal video scaler will allow any input source resolution at the display native resolution, unless the scaler isn't capable.

It's still marketingspeak. It's only to appeal to the ignorant masses who think, "Oooo, it's 768p! Must be better than 720p." Do you really think additional 48 pixel rows make a big difference even with "upscaling"? And basically all LCDs are progressive. Honestly, if I were to use a 30" Apple Cinema Display or Dell 3007 to watch HDTV, would that make it a 1600p HDTV?
  • Reply 1478 of 4650
    Quote:

Well...... if you see that event as a little prank from HD-DVD community, it must've been one great prank that got everyone talking.

more about the event:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...a_Comeback/580

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9451.cfm

OK, you're just trolling now. First you imply it's a separate topic and then when I show you how it's related you claim that fact shows how great it was. Please. It was a stupid stunt to manipulate rankings...and it worked. People like you think that's great. In reality it's pathetic. I can think of better things to do than participate in a "Fight the Power-HD-DVD" buying day to make me feel better about the soon to be non-existant format I bought. Thanks.
  • Reply 1479 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post

Those displays are not typical HDTVs. They seem more intended for dual HD/PC use, where 1280x720 wouldn't be sufficient real estate.

They certainly are representative of typical LCD sub-1080 displays. I've been doing a lot of shopping and browsing lately. That one example on the page I linked is the first 720ish LCD that I've seen that was actually listed as 720. That includes online and brick & mortar stores. However, I agree that those 48 lines make no real difference whatsoever. That wasn't the point of my post though. I couldn't sit there and read someone's intelligence being questioned for posting a number that was exactly right.
  • Reply 1480 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

I'm making good use of my Netflix membership and haven't bought any DVDs since I joined in November. However, I still intend to buy what I feel is a must have title when one comes out. An example, next Tuesday I plan on picking up The Queen and WKRP in Cincinnati, Season I.

Comparing when DVD came out to VHS is not a good analogy. DVDs were markedly and very noticeably superior in picture and sound quality to VHS, plus the DVD format was designed as a consumer product, thus priced for sale at a very reasonable rate. VHS, until to near the end, was marketed as a rental item, with a much higher price.

The HD formats give a better picture and potentially better sound than SD-DVD, if you have the right HDTV and receiver, but the general feeling of most of those people who aren't fan-boys is it's not enough to "blow your socks off" and that SD-DVD remains "good-enough" for the average consumer.

The SD-DVD format will be definitely replaced by some new format, but the jury is still out as to whether it's going to be one of the present HD formats.