Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 1761 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Why don't you head over to doom9 and find out ;-)

Once the tools get to that "easy enough stage" (no more compiling SVN copies of ffmpeg), I'd be more than willing to walk you through it to get your opinion. But frankly, I have seen a couple of 720P rips, and they look great. And I think there are enough over at doom9 that would agree. I think it might be a little early in the game for you, unless you have seen the rips, to be judging on quality.

And I have said nothing about 50GB blu-ray disks. My guess is that of that 50GB, 35-40 is for the movie, yes? So of that 35-40 we are talking a reduction to about 8.4-9.6 GB. But this is speculation, as I haven't seen any Blu-ray rips.

[EDIT]: And don't forget about audio. The audio on these disks take up a lot of space. I don't recall what codec, or at what bitrate, is being used on the rips (I think ac3...), but it is also a space saver.

I said nothing about 50GB discs, either, until bitemymac decided to bring them up and made the idiotic assumption that they all must be MPEG-2.

People have been downconverting for ages now. From DVD to SVCD then later to Xvid or DivX. They've often said it looks great. I'm fine with Xvid SD rips myself, although I normally prefer H.264 when I have the time. But I'm not about to make the claim that they're anywhere near the original quality. I can always see some softness, macroblocks, color banding and a little less color saturation. Nobody said it was unacceptable, but it's disingenuous to claim they're nearly indistinguishable.

Didn't you first say they were 6GB rips? Now it's up to 8.4-9.6GB? That's not too much of a savings from a single-layer 15GB HD DVD, which is, as you wrote, 2.25x the resolution and likely with a superior audio codec.
  • Reply 1762 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Maybe it's time that you be the judge and see for yourself. The internet quotes can go so far. As you can see, many like to post on the forums and most of them will not be considered as knowledgeable or correct comments because just about everyone can type none sense and walk away.

BTW, when comparing your own statement above.... let's say PotC vs. Click... both 50GB titles, which title has higher bit rate but how does that translate to the PQ?....

Start googling online, now....

FYI, there's no such thing as "none sense." It's nonsense, like most of your posts. Speaking of which, bitrate, shmitrate. You do know that Click was MPEG-2 while PotC is an AVC encode? Nobody with half a brain would even think about comparing the two.
  • Reply 1763 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

FYI, there's no such thing as "none sense." It's nonsense, like most of your posts. Speaking of which, bitrate, shmitrate. You do know that Click was MPEG-2 while PotC is an AVC encode? Nobody with half a brain would even think about comparing the two.

yes, google master!.... I forgot that you're the expert.
  • Reply 1764 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    PlayStation 3 Gives Blu-ray Disc Sales a Boost

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...s-boosts.phtml

Quote:

Impact of new console in market "significant"

21 May 2007 - News from the Blu-ray Disc Association suggests that the impact of PlayStation 3 on sales of Blu-ray Disc movies in North America and Japan after the launch of the console last November has been "significant".

Early market data sourced by the association indicates that a similar trend is developing in Western Europe.

Industry data for the period from 1 January until the end of April shows a change in market dynamics in the European HD software market.

Up until the PS3?s launch on 23 March, HD DVD was comfortably outselling Blu-ray discs. However, in the week after PS3 was launched in Europe, Blu-ray discs accounted for almost 87% of all HD disc sales.

In the period since 23 March, Blu-ray discs have consistently out sold HD DVD's rival product by a significant margin.

In the latest week that the figures report, Blu-ray discs outsold HD DVDs by a factor of more than three to one.

This means that despite the PS3 being available for only one month of this four-month period, Blu-ray software sales account for over 64% of the total volume since the start of the year.

For the good of the overall Blu-ray cause, it looks like these figures justify Sony's inclusion of a Blu-ray disc drive in their next-gen console, despite the delays this caused to the launch of the product and partly accounting for its high price.

Hmm. Looks like HD DVD leading anywhere is pretty much non existant now. Can we just get on with the winner of the format war now, and stop the insanity. Looks like Blu-ray is well on its way of becoming the de facto high def standard. Indeed there is a ways to go, but Blu-ray looks dominant--in Japan, in the States, in Australia, and now in Europe.
  • Reply 1765 of 4650
    Funai Confirms Blu-ray Support

Quote:

Low cost electronics manufacturer Funai (who make components for such low costs brands as Sylvania, Emerson, and Magnavox), has revealed in their latest financial report that they plan to launch a Blu-ray player. With 52% of the DVD player/recorder market in the US, it is very likely that a low cost Blu-ray player would be widely adopted, similar to the success Funai continues to have in the DVD market.

No specific player has been announced, nor any time frame, or manufacturer partnerships, but the inclusion of the bullet in their annual financial report alerts stockholders of their intention to move into the Blu-ray market. As a favorite manufacturer of Walmart (who awarded them a Billion Dollar Supplier Prize in 2006), these low cost players would most likely see wide distribution through the retail giant.

Hopefully, additional information about Funai's plans will be revealed soon.

Good news for those on a budget and wanting to buy into high-def at a cheaper price point. I am still of the opinion though that brand names like Pioneer, Panasonic, Philips, Sharp, and Sony whom are all Blu-ray exclusive will be the benefactor of most next generation player sales mainly due to their trusted/quality status and brand recognition.
  • Reply 1766 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Didn't you first say they were 6GB rips?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787

So doing HD DVD from 25GB (or so) down to 6GB (or so) is very possible

Then you said:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

Now it's up to 8.4-9.6GB?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787

And I have said nothing about 50GB blu-ray disks. My guess is that of that 50GB, 35-40 is for the movie, yes? So of that 35-40 we are talking a reduction to about 8.4-9.6 GB. But this is speculation, as I haven't seen any Blu-ray rips.

So I never contradicted myself. Reading comprehension isn't just for 8th graders
  • Reply 1767 of 4650
    Quote:

Why don't you head over to doom9 and find out ;-)

Once the tools get to that "easy enough stage" (no more compiling SVN copies of ffmpeg), I'd be more than willing to walk you through it to get your opinion. But frankly, I have seen a couple of 720P rips, and they look great. And I think there are enough over at doom9 that would agree. I think it might be a little early in the game for you, unless you have seen the rips, to be judging on quality.

[EDIT]: And don't forget about audio. The audio on these disks take up a lot of space. I don't recall what codec, or at what bitrate, is being used on the rips (I think ac3...), but it is also a space saver.

Don't know about BD, but most HD DVD releases in VC-1 retains around 15 to 20 MBps and have shown to produce stunning PQ. However, I read somewhere that MS has claim that the minimum of 9 MBps bitrate is need to produce PQ at almost the source quality(in theory). So in reality, if one can possibily have near pristine PQ quality at 6 to 10 GB of disc space depends on the length of the movie and audio track. I'm sure similar spec will also apply to AVC as well.
  • Reply 1768 of 4650
    Quote:

So I never contradicted myself. Reading comprehension isn't just for 8th graders

Why are you even bringing up the 50GB discs? I never wrote that you said anything about them. Reading comprehension isn't worth squat if somebody isn't writing at all clearly, which you don't seem to be.

Isn't a 2-hour movie a 2-hour movie? Why could people downconvert a 15GB 2-hour movie to 6GB but have to downconvert a 50GB 2-hour movie to ~9GB? Are you saying that the 9GB movie somehow preserves the same duration movie better from a higher bitrate source? And if so, does it not follow that what you are in fact saying is that 6GB is insufficient? Either 6GB is good enough for a 2-hour 720p movie or it isn't. You can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 1769 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Weren't we supposed to get managed copy on both HD-DVD and BR?

Never looked into this much as I haven't invested in a huge NAS at home but I would have hoped that the studios would have made sure that the desire to break AACS by honest folks would have been vastly reduced by user friendly managed copy.

I think many, if not most, folks would be happy to buy discs and do a single managed copy to a media server so they could lock up their disks from rampaging 3 year olds.

Vinea
  • Reply 1770 of 4650
    Quote:

Why are you even bringing up the 50GB discs? I never wrote that you said anything about them. Reading comprehension isn't worth squat if somebody isn't writing at all clearly, which you don't seem to be.

I am done with you, as you seem to want to argue just to argue. You brought up 50GB disks first with the post below. bitemac made a comment after you.

Quote:

The problem is there seems to be a disparity in bitrate. You're saying that you're dropping the resolution to 44% of the original HD source. But you're dropping the bitrate down to anywhere from 24 to as low as 20% of the original bitrate (depending on whether it's a 25GB Blu-ray disc or a 30GB dual layer HD DVD; don't even think about the losses from a 50GB dual-layer Blu-ray). Obviously, something's being lost, especially since the 20GB VC-1 HD DVD encodes are widely considered fairly soft and grainy to begin with.

• Reply 1771 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

37" is small. I told her that's basically a 32" CRT TV stretched but you know women...they often think a large TV is going to dominate the living room.

If she acts anything like my gf after a few months with a 43" tv she will blame you for not buying a larger tv in the first place.
  • Reply 1772 of 4650
    Quote:

I am done with you, as you seem to want to argue just to argue.

I wasn't arguing. I was asking honest questions, which you evaded and didn't want to answer. Why is 6GB good enough for one movie, but not good enough for another of the same duration? Just because it came from a higher bitrate source? All I want is an honest answer.
  • Reply 1773 of 4650
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Here's a link to an article that states Sony will have a firmware update available tomorrow that allows upscaling. The article is confusing as it mentions upscaling Blu-ray disks not SD DVDs. A mistake?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/23/ps3/index.php
  • Reply 1774 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Here's a link to an article that states Sony will have a firmware update available tomorrow that allows upscaling. The article is confusing as it mentions upscaling Blu-ray disks not SD DVDs. A mistake?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/05/23/ps3/index.php

You beat me to it! Yeah, it looks like a mistake as these links state it will upconvert both PS/PS2 games and DVDs...

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2007/5/23-52

http://kotaku.com/gaming/welcome-tom...row-262852.php

So what is the downside of owning a PS3? Rhetorical question of course.
  • Reply 1775 of 4650
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

So what is the downside of owning a PS3?

You have a $600 hole in your pocket and you still have to watch "Battlestar Galactica" in SD.
  • Reply 1776 of 4650
    Quote:

I wasn't arguing. I was asking honest questions, which you evaded and didn't want to answer. Why is 6GB good enough for one movie, but not good enough for another of the same duration? Just because it came from a higher bitrate source? All I want is an honest answer.

How did I evade? I said:

Quote:

I guessed. I speculated. I have not seen any blu-ray rips. I have no idea if the file size of the movie is the same between HD DVD and Blu-Ray. I just don't have an answer because I don't know.

I am by no means an expert here. I just read the forums over at doom9 to gain some more information about what is going on. Like I have said, I have seen a few HD DVD rips (stuff I have played with on my spare PC), and seen people talking about 6-8GBs for HD DVDs. What I have seen looks "nearly indistinguishable". Note I am not saying identical. I would say it looks like (comparatively) a good XviD rip of a DVD (one I do, not torrented which usually suck)
  • Reply 1777 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Sony issuing PS3 updates.

PS3 adds upscaling

Did anybody know about this:

link to the article

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCentral

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) on Wednesday announced the forthcoming release of a new software update for its PlayStation 3 video game console, expected to be released in North America on Thursday, May 24. New features in the new release include video upscaling capabilities and more PSP Remote Play functionality.

The upscaling technology in this software update will improve the picture quality of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games played on the PlayStation 3, and will also show movies up to 1080p resolution. Classic games will look even better, according to Sony, and Blu-ray Disc videos will be maximized on big-screen TVs that connect to the PS3 using HDMI..... More in the article.

• Reply 1778 of 4650
    Quote:

What I have seen looks "nearly indistinguishable". Note I am not saying identical. I would say it looks like (comparatively) a good XviD rip of a DVD (one I do, not torrented which usually suck)

If that's the case, I wouldn't be impressed. I don't like Xvid or DivX rips. I can always see flaws in them, whether aliasing, macroblocks, or other flaws. H.264 is better looking at lower bitrates, but they take forever to encode. Maybe it's time for me to retire my old dual G5 in favor of an eight-core. Then again, there's always the nagging suspicion that as soon as I buy it, Apple will announce even faster eight-core machines. That's always been my luck.
  • Reply 1779 of 4650
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The update also adds 1080P 24Hz output as an option. The update is now available.
  • Reply 1780 of 4650
    Excellent news for PS3 owners!... Now, it sets the bar even higher for $699 BD players to come in the future. So, how does PS2 games look upscaled to 720p/1080p?