New Sony Cyber-shot S-series digital cams revealed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sony Corp. is likely to show up at next month's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas bearing gifts -- new Cyber-shot digital cameras aimed at entry-level consumers.

According to documents recently uncovered by AppleInsider, the electronics conglomerate is preparing to deliver two new S-series models that will each sport a 7.2 megapixel image CCD sensor and 3X optical zoom lens.

A new Cyber-shot S650 model will pack a 2-inch TFT LCD display with a resolution of 480x240, the documents show, while a slightly more elaborate S700 model will include a 2.4-inch display.

Both of the new cams will run on AA batteries and weigh a bit over 6 ounces. They'll ship with "approximately 24MB" of internal memory, support for Sony's "Memory Stick Duo" card format, and a multi-connector providing video, audio and USB 2.0 connectivity.

Among the other features listed for both models are automatic exposure, 7 scene selection modes, and 5 white balance modes.

Pricing for the new cams was not immediately available, but Sony's existing S500 and S600 Cyber-shot cameras are targeted at the entry-level consumer with price tags under $200.

The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas runs Jan. 8 - 11, coinciding with Macworld Expo 2007 in San Francisco which runs Jan. 8 - 12. Sony, however, is not listed amongst the exhibitors for the Apple conference.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S700 Pre-Production Model

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    I bought a DSC-W1 from Sony a couple years back. I've not been happy with the picture quality at all. I'm sure many of the Sony cameras are great, but I won't be buying a Sony camera when I upgrade this spring. Maybe I got a lemon, but I've had a lot more satisfaction with the Digital Elph I've been borrowing.
  • Reply 2 of 106
    another worthless deployment of their stupid "Memory Stick" nonsense. Why not use industry standard memory? They wonder why they're losing in the marketplace.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    Im reading AppleInsider... right?
  • Reply 4 of 106
    SonyInsider?
  • Reply 5 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm sure it's reasonably nice, but I don't get how it is relevant to this site. It's Apple stuff, not Sony stuff. The only thing that might be relevant is whether it works in iPhoto, and I didn't even see that info. Is Sony making a hefty donation to the site to make it worth an off-topic piece like that?
  • Reply 6 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Thats what i thought!!

Did i click on Engadget RSS feed? no it was Apple Insider!

More Apple Please Less SONY!
  • Reply 7 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

seriously. there isnt a single mention of apple or any apple products. new cameras are released every 5 minutes... nobody cares.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    erm...in case the nail hasn't been hit on the head enough yet...

this is AppleInsider we're reading.

It's supposed to have knowledgeable information about the company Apple, right?

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 9 of 106
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas runs Jan. 8 - 11, coinciding with Macworld Expo 2007 in San Francisco which runs Jan. 8 - 12. Sony, however, is not listed amongst the exhibitors for the Apple conference.

So, really, this has nothing to do with Apple at all. Appleinsider is really clutching at straws for stories applicable to Apple if they are talking about another trade show that just happens to be in the same week as Macworld.

And I don't understand why anyone would buy a camera from Sony anyway. Would you buy a computer made by Toyota? How about a TV made by Nokia? Then if you're going to buy a camera, buy one from a camera maker: Nikon, Canon, etc. It's their business to make cameras, so you can be sure that they make good ones!
  • Reply 10 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is Sony making a hefty donation to the site to make it worth an off-topic piece like that?

EDIT: I wager you're right with that assessment. (two "hit it on the head" posts is at least one too many )
  • Reply 11 of 106
    Toyota will be releasing a new hybrid sports car - read all about it here:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2006/12/toyotas_fths_hy.html

I figured since this site didn't have anything to do with Apple anymore, I'd inform the readers.
  • Reply 12 of 106
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Where's the Digg as Lame/Inaccurate button?
  • Reply 13 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by damoof View Post

Toyota will be releasing a new hybrid sports car - read all about it here:

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2006/12/toyotas_fths_hy.html

I figured since this site didn't have anything to do with Apple anymore, I'd inform the readers.

Well, see, that was almost applicable to the discussion, as I mentioned Toyota just a few posts ago.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    Well, looking at your recent record we've got hype, hype, FUD, more FUD, no news, absolutely no news and this. I'm confused, it's not so long ago that this has been good site.
  • Reply 15 of 106
    AI, be honest. Did sony pay you for that?

At any rate, it's more interesting than the annoying stock option stories.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    in other news, the FDA says that food from cloned animals is safe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/bu...rssnyt&emc=rss

and there will be no 64-bit cs3.

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-614...-0-5&subj=news

(well, actaully, that's KIND of relevant...)

and it looks like a bad camera anyway (*cough* buy a canon *cough*)
  • Reply 17 of 106
    We care about this why?
  • Reply 18 of 106
    I love the pictures of the power cord and cables... careful, you might get someone fired for leaking that kind of "insider" information!
  • Reply 19 of 106
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Such exciting new cameras from Sony!
  • Reply 20 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

and there will be no 64-bit cs3.

http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-614...-0-5&subj=news

relevance?

The C3/64 thing is reasonably relevant. It would seem that Adobe is too risk-averse for its own good.