Apple iTV availability to escape Macworld Expo

2456710

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    I believe the USB port on the back of iTV is for attaching external storage.

    I have a strong feeling that Apple is going to start selling external hard drives soon.

    Perhaps even a small RAID unit designed for the SOHO market.



    Time Machine could back up files to this networked RAID which is optionally attached to an iTV.

    iTV could also access the contents of the RAID unit for always available content even when no laptops are home.



    USB is a crappy way to add large storage. That doesn't mean that it won't be used for that. But, I'm not so sure.



    At first, I didn't believe that a HD could be included because of power supply issues (it's internal, so must be weak), size, and price. But, prices continue to drop, drives are getting larger, and faster, and power may not be an issue, depending on what Apple is intending.



    If Apple puts a 1.8" drive inside, then size and power are no longer an issue. The size of the drive could be enough if Apple isn't intending it to store your collection.
  • Reply 22 of 188
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I just pointed out that unlike the Airport, which is a true hardware device, the article points out that this isn't. It doesn't have to be separately downloadable to be so. One might as well say that a computer is just a hardware solution because the OS comes with it.



    *hands in air* I give up. I surrender. The point I was trying to make, that iTV *INCLUDES* a hardware component, and is not *SOLELY* a software solution, as the one aegisdesign pointed to, was apparently lost on all.



    In my funny head, I guess that if I buy a box, I pull a device out of it, and set it up, that it is hardware, regardless of what software may or may not be running on it, or firmware may or may not let it, you know, *work*. Mea culpa.
  • Reply 23 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    *hands in air* I give up. I surrender. The point I was trying to make, that iTV *INCLUDES* a hardware component, and is not *SOLELY* a software solution, as the one aegisdesign pointed to, was apparently lost on all.



    In my funny head, I guess that if I buy a box, I pull a device out of it, and set it up, that it is hardware, regardless of what software may or may not be running on it. Mea culpa.



    All is forgiven!



    We love you still.
  • Reply 24 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    QUESTIONS:



    1) Will you be able to have all the accounts from all iTunes libraries on your LAN available for streaming to your iTV? If so, how will it deal with duplicate content?



    2) Will there be an iTV sharing pane in iTunes to choose which playlists or types of content you which to share, if any, from an individual account to iTV?



    3) Will there be a way to turn on a process that allows access to an account's iTunes library even when the account is not logged in?



    4) Will you be able to have multiple iTVs on the same iTunes library? If, so will you be able to limit content to different iTVs (i.e.: parental controls)?



    5) Will iTunes for Windows be able to utilize iTV as its function is more like a wireless iPod than a media server?
  • Reply 25 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    QUESTIONS:



    1) Will you be able to have all the accounts from all iTunes libraries on your LAN available for streaming to your iTV? If so, how will it deal with duplicate content?



    2) Will there be an iTV sharing pane in iTunes to choose which playlists or types of content you which to share, if any, from an individual account to iTV?



    3) Will there be a way to turn on a process that allows access to an account's iTunes library even when the account is not logged in?



    4) Will you be able to have multiple iTVs on the same iTunes library? If, so will you be able to limit content to different iTVs (i.e.: parental controls)?



    5) Will iTunes for Windows be able to utilize iTV as its function is more like a wireless iPod than a media server?



    You should repeat these questions on the 9th.
  • Reply 26 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    You should repeat these questions on the 9th.



    Hopefully, all will be answered on the 9th. I look forward to MWSF more than XMas and NYE. I need a life!
  • Reply 27 of 188
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    You should repeat these questions on the 9th.



    Preferably sometime **AFTER** 1:00PM ET



    Dave
  • Reply 28 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post


    If it has a hard drive, it doesn't need to 'stream' HD content real-time. Abd XVid/DiVX content could be supported, if you can install any of the Quicktime extensions that support them. But that's the bigger question, can you get to the internal OS on this thing.



    There's no indication that the internal OS needs to be anything more than what the iPod does.



    Quote:

    Except its not going to support any video format except Apple's format, so it won't be possible to get those windows only formats to your TV.



    Unless converted to some iTunes compatible format...like how iTunes can convert unprotected WMA files.



    Quote:

    And iTV is not "hardware", its "hardware" and "software". It'll run OS X and, most likely, Front Page to deal with the computer/media/etc. I doubt seriously if its just going to take a video stream and just play it. There's just too much "What? But the video stream is accessible and can be pirated by everyone around! We can't let people do that!". The box has to be able to control the media, not just stream it. Otherwise, rewind/pause/etc will just have too much of a delay to it.



    Well given that very little hardware is just hardware and no software (even in the embedded world) its somewhat true but:



    1) There's no reason to run a OS X in iTV. RTXC Quadros seems more likely given the limited needs for iTV and they already have a lot of experience with it.



    2) Front Row isn't all that complex...it's a UI. Front ROW.



    3) All iTV has to do is decrypt the FairPlay encryption and send the decrypted data to HDMI (for encryption again) securely. FF and Rewind features can be done server side. Responsiveness depends on the network and how much buffering is needed. I suspect that Draft-N will be a requirement to make this reliably not suck.



    Vinea
  • Reply 29 of 188
    I'm relatively new to Mac platform, so please forgive my ignorance. [first post - yippee!]



    Do you think iTV will include some sort of base station for wireless (i.e. a complete end-to-end solution) or will you still need to buy an AirPort base station? I've been putting off buying the base station because I was thinking (hoping) that they might soon offer a base station that uses 808.11 N rather than G. I am hoping that iTV will allow me to simultaneously stream video, music, etc, but also establish a wireless network so I can connect my work laptop with my iMac.
  • Reply 30 of 188
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    QUESTIONS:



    1) Will you be able to have all the accounts from all iTunes libraries on your LAN available for streaming to your iTV? If so, how will it deal with duplicate content?



    2) Will there be an iTV sharing pane in iTunes to choose which playlists or types of content you which to share, if any, from an individual account to iTV?



    3) Will there be a way to turn on a process that allows access to an account's iTunes library even when the account is not logged in?



    4) Will you be able to have multiple iTVs on the same iTunes library? If, so will you be able to limit content to different iTVs (i.e.: parental controls)?



    5) Will iTunes for Windows be able to utilize iTV as its function is more like a wireless iPod than a media server?



    I hope that finally Apple will unify the iTunes library for all users on a system or even for your entire private network, essentially storing everything in a single database giving each user an individual view allowing for parental controls and a further partitioning of your media assets. This will also solve the handling of duplicates as there won't be any.
  • Reply 31 of 188
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whimvestor View Post


    I'm relatively new to Mac platform, so please forgive my ignorance. [first post - yippee!]



    Do you think iTV will include some sort of base station for wireless (i.e. a complete end-to-end solution) or will you still need to buy an AirPort base station? I've been putting off buying the base station because I was thinking (hoping) that they might soon offer a base station that uses 808.11 N rather than G. I am hoping that iTV will allow me to simultaneously stream video, music, etc, but also establish a wireless network so I can connect my work laptop with my iMac.



    You'll need a wireless router (i.e. an airport base station type device) for connecting your computer to the internet (if you wish to do this wirelessly), but not for connecting your computer to your TV (which is what iTV will be for). I doubt that the iTV will also act as a wireless internet router.
  • Reply 32 of 188
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

    Following a personal preview of the device, Walt Disney chief executive and personal friend of Jobs, Robert Iger, disclosed that each unit will also include a "small hard drive" that will allow for some local content storage.



    Back when this was originally reported there was some discussion about whether this guy knows what he's talking about. He sounded like a non-techy making up an explanation of how the system _might_ work.



    I hope/believe that the iTV will not have a hard drive. Each display in one's home should not require it's own hard drive. Instead, each display simply needs a network connection.



    Networked media players are cheaper, easier to use, and smaller. Attaching local storage to every display is simply not a good idea.
  • Reply 33 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post


    You'll need a wireless router (i.e. an airport base station type device) for connecting your computer to the internet (if you wish to do this wirelessly), but not for connecting your computer to your TV (which is what iTV will be for). I doubt that the iTV will also act as a wireless internet router.



    I think it will just need a wireless card.
  • Reply 34 of 188
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post


    You'll need a wireless router (i.e. an airport base station type device) for connecting your computer to the internet (if you wish to do this wirelessly), but not for connecting your computer to your TV (which is what iTV will be for). I doubt that the iTV will also act as a wireless internet router.



    I'd be surprised if it *doesn't*, to be honest. What better way to establish a beachhead in the video market, than to say "Buy *our* 801.11N WiFi router, and look at what else you get!"
  • Reply 35 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    I'd be surprised if it *doesn't*, to be honest. What better way to establish a beachhead in the video market, than to say "Buy *our* 801.11N WiFi router, and look at what else you get!"



    Um...because I don't run my ethernet network to my TV? My G router sits in my little closet in the basement where the FiOS line comes in...



    Vinea
  • Reply 36 of 188
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Um...because I don't run my ethernet network to my TV? My G router sits in my little closet in the basement where the FiOS line comes in...



    Vinea



    'tis true.
  • Reply 37 of 188
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post


    Um...because I don't run my ethernet network to my TV? My G router sits in my little closet in the basement where the FiOS line comes in...



    Eh, good point. Put it this way - the amount of extra overhead required to turn an 802.11N client (with an existing Enet port) to an 802.11N router is a bit of extra software. I'd be surprised if it weren't thrown in as a gimme.
  • Reply 38 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Eh, good point. Put it this way - the amount of extra overhead required to turn an 802.11N client (with an existing Enet port) to an 802.11N router is a bit of extra software. I'd be surprised if it weren't thrown in as a gimme.



    Well, it would be nice as a bridge. So you can plug your xbox or whatever into it...might need a small switch for all the potentially networkable devices around the TV but not having to spend extra on a bridge makes it a nice feature.



    Vinea
  • Reply 39 of 188
    That's too bad, because I get broadband through my cable, and my router sits right next to my TV.
  • Reply 40 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,978member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post


    That's too bad, because I get broadband through my cable, and my router sits right next to my TV.



    My TV is on a different floor. I wired the house for 1 GB E. I'm not sure if I'm interested in wireless yet.
Sign In or Register to comment.