Apple iTV availability to escape Macworld Expo

Comments

• Reply 141 of 188
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jumpflip View Post

Turning to your idea, I think we should keep in mind the way Steve Jobs thinks about content - we, the consumer own it... just as we have with records, tapes and cd's. This is what made iTunes/iPod (coupled with the right price point) hugely successful over subscription plans like the new Napster. Also, consumers don't want to give up their ability to record content themselves, whether it be from free TV or other content we have purchased, for personal consumption. Steve just seems to get this about us. There is a resistance to having all of our purchased content stored solely on a commercially trusted (Apple) server.

This idea of yours that the network will store your purchased media is intriguing, and I think that Robert Cringely has suggested this in detail as well, but I am trying to square it with consumer behavior/ desire. I will concede that given the fact we have weened ourselves from storing all of our email content locally - a la Google - that it's not so much of a stretch. But keep in mind, email isn't purchased content.

Nothing in my model precluded storing content you purchased locally. That is exactly why I see this being sold as an iPod accessory. Hook up a big enough iPod an you can keep all of your content locally, or you can use iTunes to keep it on your computer ... the point is that you don't have to do it.

Quote:

I believe that iTV will support what you suggest, it's just not the complete solution. The problem I see with your model is that it assumes that the Apple HAS all of the content, from TV shows to Movies (not to mention user generated content), and we know that this is not the case. In fact, it has been an issue for them. Obviously, more content announcements are to come, but you just can't assume that all of the content I want to share is going to be in [Apple's] network. Remember I want to share my self-generated content as well.

I think there's an assumption from people here that Apple cares about this. I don't think they do. I suspect Steve Jobs thinks iTunes sharing suffices for this. He wants you to buy iPods and content from the iTunes Store.

Quote:

So... you still haven't answered the question of how to retrieve all my content from the other computers in my home network without first activating those computers. I realize that this is my acid test, but I believe if the solution doesn't answer this problem, it's not going to have the same instant, wild success as did the iPod/iTunes solution did for music downloads.

Well, I tend to leave my computers on (at least the main ones I use). There are some protocols for waking machines over the network, don't know if they'd go far enough to support something like this or not.

As far as wild success, wow factor goes, I think plugging this in and seeing everything you've purchased from the iTunes Store as available, plus whatever it can reach via iTunes sharing as plenty. I don't see Apple including the "and you do/don't even have to go around and turn your computer(s) on" as part of the ad campaign. It might matter to you, but it "ain't gonna be in the TV commercial".

Quote:

Perhaps iTV is only one piece of the ecosystem Apple is going to propose to replace our living room entertainment systems. We shall soon see.

I just don't see Apple selling an external drive for this. That doesn't mean you can't hook one up, just like I think you'll be able to hook an iPod up. This is another one of those what it can do vs. what Apple is going to sell it as things. I see Apple selling this as: look you can hook your iPod up to it!, look you can access the latest movies, TV and music through the iTunes Store with it!, look movie previews! That's exciting salesmanship. That's what will make the iTV sell, and that's probably what you'll see from Steve Jobs next week. If Apple tries to sell this as a media extender that you can connect to your computer via iTunes sharing and you can hook an external hard drive to it ... well that'd make the iTV an instant dud for sales.

Media extender/server = boring; iPod/iTunes accessory = exciting.
  • Reply 142 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

No you CAN say its not passing along uncompressed decoded HD HDMI streams and probably not even SD streams. The bandwidth is just too large for even draft-N to support. Compressed is required for wireless. Therefore iTV must be "rendering" the video to HDMI. While which H.264 chip it uses is up for speculation the price constraints pretty much means a < $30 SOC solution for video decode.

It's possible you're right. It depends on what they will be sending across. It might not be the full bandwidth.

Quote:

You're simply trying again not to have to admit you're wrong about yet another throw away statement. Why is it so hard to call it a hardware oriented device like a router, hardware MCE or other small consumer electronic device?

Vinea

A simple router is just that. If it has hardwired code, then it is a hardware device plain and simple.

If it does more, and the software is an OS that is upgradable, and allows other programs to be used and added, then it is not "just" a hardware device any more than a computer is.

I think we have covered that enough.
  • Reply 143 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

I've not seen them on UK TV sets in years. 1980s maybe. Occasionally you might see one with an s-video socket but most don't bother since you can plug s-video into SCART anyway on most TVs.

No, not on Tv's, audio equipment is where I still see them.

Quote:

In the UK analogue is being switched off progressively from 2008 onwards till the last people being switched over in 2012. But that's a red herring since most of the Digital set-top boxes have Digital to Analogue convertors and SCART sockets on them anyway so that they work with today's TVs. All DVD players and Sat boxes I've come across have SCART sockets on also.

What advantage are they giving in doing it that way?

We will have adapters her for that D/A conversion as well, but it only needs an analog output. Supposedly, the gov will be giving them away.

Quote:

My TV is probably coming up to 12 year old and I'm keeping it as long as I can as I can't stand to watch digital TV. That might change with HDTV but at the moment squished low bandwidth digital distorted into widescreen format TVs are vastly inferior to old style analogue PAL on a 4:3 screen. But then I find watching some DVDs unbearable too.

The problem for me though is decent HD sets cost more money than I'm willing to spend on a TV set for the 10-15 hours a week I watch and low cost LCDs are still horrible.

So, getting back to iTV, if they're doing analogue in Europe, I'll take SCART please anyday over s-video or one of the other analogue connectors since everything else I've got is SCART too. When HD sets come down to a sensible price (ie. couple of hundred quid), maybe I'll be ready with HDMI. I'm probably a likely candidate for iTunes downloads as I pick and choose my viewing rather than waste my time watching crap but if I've got to pay thousands to get it....no thanks. I also tend to watch stuff on my iMac's LCD screen too since it's probably better than most TVs.

The answer is EVERYBODY that has a video recorder or DVD player. It's the normal way people connect them to their TV here.

We've two DVD players in the house. The only outputs on them are SCART and audio RCA.

We've 1 VCR - it has 2 SCART connectors. Nothing else.

We've 2 TVs - 1 has 1 SCART, the other 2. Nothing else.

I don't have any satellite set-top box, I don't have digital terrestrial TV and I don't have a widescreen TV though so the lack of other connectors is no surprise. I consciously skipped this generation of digital because it sucks.

The future for me is IP based TV anyway IMHO not the current broadcast systems. That's what interests me with iTV.

Well, we have a long way to go yet. We'll see what happens.
  • Reply 144 of 188
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, not on Tv's, audio equipment is where I still see them.

Not seen DIN plugs on audio equipment since old mono datasettes used on BBC Micros and ZX Spectrums in 1981-ish. Getting all misty eyed now.

I guess some of the pro German kit might have held out with DIN plugs for a while but the last hifi I remember with them on was a fairly cheap Sharp hifi my parents had from the late 70s.

Quote:

What advantage are they giving in doing it that way?

Well, everyone has SCART and not many people have HDMI so you'd be pretty daft selling something with just HDMI into a marketplace that has millions of SCART socketed analogue kit.
  • Reply 145 of 188
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Well, everyone has SCART and not many people have HDMI so you'd be pretty daft selling something with just HDMI into a marketplace that has millions of SCART socketed analogue kit.

Apple isn't releasing an HDMI-only device that I am aware. Or are you two in some odd argument that has nothing to do with the actual product?

I think it's likely that the diagrams shown at Macworld may just be the US version, an EU version might have a SCART rather than separate analog jacks, or a simple adapter cable might be included, making this argument moot.
  • Reply 146 of 188
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Apple isn't releasing an HDMI-only device that I am aware. Or are you two in some odd argument that has nothing to do with the actual product?

I think it's likely that the diagrams shown at Macworld may just be the US version, an EU version might have a SCART rather than separate analog jacks, or a simple adapter cable might be included, making this argument moot.

Yep. melgross was suggesting SCART was obsolete, which it is, but no more so than the separate analogue connectors you have in the USA. I'd hope they'd do a SCART version though rather than adaptor cables. It's tidier.
  • Reply 147 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Well, we have a long way to go yet. We'll see what happens.

Technology for IPTV is pretty much ready for widescale roll out. AT&T has a somewhat poor implementation (from a programming and cost perspective anyway) but the telco's have been making substantial investment into this space. I have FiOS and Verizon has launched IPTV over FiOS in Texas as a trial. Regular FiOS TV is available. The big stumbling point for Verizon's IPTV service was Microsoft dropped the ball but they've since moved on to other software providers.

As far as routers go, there are very few (giving you the benefit of the doubt but really, I haven't found any) that don't run a web server for configuration and can't be flashed for upgrades. Typically this means some kind of RTOS and usually VxWorks.

By your definition there isn't anything that isn't a computer with software inside which strictly speaking is true but for most folks there's a world of difference between even a PDA and a router. A iTV is far more like a router than a PDA.

Vinea
  • Reply 148 of 188
    Quote:

Not seen DIN plugs on audio equipment since old mono datasettes used on BBC Micros and ZX Spectrums in 1981-ish. Getting all misty eyed now.

I guess some of the pro German kit might have held out with DIN plugs for a while but the last hifi I remember with them on was a fairly cheap Sharp hifi my parents had from the late 70s.

Some audio equipment from Europe coming over here still use DIN jacks. I can't stand them myself.

Quote:

No, I don't think that SCART should be discontinued right away. But at some point in the not too distant future it will be.
  • Reply 149 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yes!

Quote:

SCART would only be good for analog SD. It's always possible that Apple might to include it. It's like S-Video with a basic control interface.
  • Reply 150 of 188
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Yep. melgross was suggesting SCART was obsolete, which it is, but no more so than the separate analogue connectors you have in the USA. I'd hope they'd do a SCART version though rather than adaptor cables. It's tidier.

A SCART port is huge and I don't even think it will fit in the 'iTV'. There are component-to-SCART adapters out there and Apple will probably sell/include such an adapter.
  • Reply 151 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

A SCART port is huge and I don't even think it will fit in the 'iTV'. There are component-to-SCART adapters out there and Apple will probably sell/include such an adapter.

Being an American, I'm not familar with SCART. Despite it's archaic plug design, I must admit that I'm impressed by the foresight in its futureforward engineering.

Anyway, after looking it over, the SCART connector will fit vertically on an iTV (barely), but there is no room for it horizontally; unless Apple removes the component video. Do the right-pondian electronics even use component video?

Either way, I'm with JLL. Now, would Apple:

a) make you go out and get your own 3rd-party adapter;

b) offer an Apple branded adapter as an additional item for purchase; or

c) include a free Apple branded adapter with the iTV appliance?

I'm going with the latter here, but my knowledge of European culture is based solely on TV. Black Adder taught me that the French are "whoopsies", Hogan's Heros taught me that the Germans aren't very bright, and Dr. Who taught me that the British are very frugal when it comes to production costs.
  • Reply 152 of 188
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do the right-pondian electronics even use component video?

Yes.

SCART is inferior to component, quality-wise, but superior to S-Video and Composite (which are more rare here). It also, unlike component, S-Video and Composite, allow for "hardware detection" of sorts.

It is obsolete in any case. Still very common as of 2007, but slowly starting to fade into obscurity.
  • Reply 153 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Holy guacamole!

Would someone please suspend this guys account for a few weeks, untill he gets the point that he's being an annoying pissant?

Thanks.
  • Reply 154 of 188
    Quote:

Anyway, after looking it over, the SCART connector will fit vertically on an iTV (barely), but there is no room for it horizontally; unless Apple removes the component video. Do the right-pondian electronics even use component video?

Some do but I'd estimate maybe 10% whereas SCART is probably approaching 100% in TV land anyway. Obviously it's too huge to include on some bits of AV kit like camcorders. SCART would fit no problem if they dropped the other connectors nobody uses.

They're probably going to have to do at least two models anyway for the differences between PAL and NTSC so maybe they'll go as far as the backplane too.

Quote:

I'm going with the latter here, but my knowledge of European culture is based solely on TV. Black Adder taught me that the French are "whoopsies", Hogan's Heros taught me that the Germans aren't very bright, and Dr. Who taught me that the British are very frugal when it comes to production costs.

LOL! It's tax payers money they're spending. Just wait till you get the spin offs like Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures - even less money spent. I wouldn't mind so much if they spent what they did have on decent writers rather than cheesy CGI but it seems a futile hope. Still, at least they aren't spending it on cricket coverage.
  • Reply 155 of 188
    Quote:

Some do but I'd estimate maybe 10% whereas SCART is probably approaching 100% in TV land anyway. Obviously it's too huge to include on some bits of AV kit like camcorders. SCART would fit no problem if they dropped the other connectors nobody uses.

They're probably going to have to do at least two models anyway for the differences between PAL and NTSC so maybe they'll go as far as the backplane too.

LOL! It's tax payers money they're spending. Just wait till you get the spin offs like Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures - even less money spent. I wouldn't mind so much if they spent what they did have on decent writers rather than cheesy CGI but it seems a futile hope. Still, at least they aren't spending it on cricket coverage.

What's this about torchwood and Sarah Jane?

It was nice to see her again in the latest series.
  • Reply 156 of 188
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Torchwood = Capt Jack Harkness leads a Torchwood bureau in Cardiff (shock). I've really enjoyed it. *Very* adult oriented. Lots of skin, naughty language, etc. Just ended season one.

SJA = the kids show spinoff. She investigates kid-friendly strange occurrences. Season one about to start.
  • Reply 157 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Torchwood = Capt Jack Harkness leads a Torchwood bureau in Cardiff (shock). I've really enjoyed it. *Very* adult oriented. Lots of skin, naughty language, etc. Just ended season one.

SJA = the kids show spinoff. She investigates kid-friendly strange occurrences. Season one about to start.

Yes, I seem to remember them mentioning the Harkness show. From your description of it though, it doesn't seem as though it will make it over here.

If only Apple could get it for iTunes, but maybe not that either.
  • Reply 158 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Yes, I seem to remember them mentioning the Harkness show. From your description of it though, it doesn't seem as though it will make it over here.

If only Apple could get it for iTunes, but maybe not that either.

I have no idea about the shows you are talking about but I would love to see TV Shows and movies from other countries licensed for iTunes. I would actually become an iTS customer then.
  • Reply 159 of 188
    Quote:

What's this about torchwood and Sarah Jane?

It was nice to see her again in the latest series.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/

Torchwood is a late night (after 9pm) spinoff and Sarah Jane Adventures is a Children's BBC show. Torchwood season 1 has just finished. SJA starts soon but the pilot ran over Xmas and was ok for a kids show.

My main problem with Torchwood is the hammy lead - John Barrowman. He can't act for toffee. Couple that to a plotline that's as deep as a puddle and it's not really something to keep you tuning in each week.

It's quite likely you lot will get to see BBC programs on iTunes and iTV way, way before we do in the UK of course since the UK iTunes store doesn't sell TV programs. There's all sorts of issues with the BBC selling content in the UK too as us licence payers should really be getting it free.
  • Reply 160 of 188
    Quote:

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/sja/

Torchwood is a late night (after 9pm) spinoff and Sarah Jane Adventures is a Children's BBC show. Torchwood season 1 has just finished. SJA starts soon but the pilot ran over Xmas and was ok for a kids show.

My main problem with Torchwood is the hammy lead - John Barrowman. He can't act for toffee. Couple that to a plotline that's as deep as a puddle and it's not really something to keep you tuning in each week.

It's quite likely you lot will get to see BBC programs on iTunes and iTV way, way before we do in the UK of course since the UK iTunes store doesn't sell TV programs. There's all sorts of issues with the BBC selling content in the UK too as us licence payers should really be getting it free.

At least he has a nice smile.

I'm hoping that we won't be getting a new Dr. Who every season though. I also miss the longer plot lines.