Apple iTV availability to escape Macworld Expo

Comments

• Reply 161 of 188
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I think they're slowing building up a revamped mythos for Who, actually. Instead of 6-8 part stand alone stories, we'll get 1-3 part stories that reference continuity a lot more. I can live with that.

And no, there's no way that Twood will fly on APC (American Puritanical Cable). Showtime, HBO, sure. Sci-Fi? Nuh-uh. On-screen steamy (simulated) sex scenes, naked butts (both genders), and the occasional f-bomb aren't gonna fly. So far, I'm digging it, but I'm waiting for it to build its own continuity as well. To date, the most interesting bits have all been lifted from Who.

Now, about that iTV...
  • Reply 162 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

So far, I'm digging it,

So...I don't understand. How are 'you' seeing this program?

Is it carried on BBC America, or what?
  • Reply 163 of 188
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jamie240 View Post

So...I don't understand. How are 'you' seeing this program?

Is it carried on BBC America, or what?

One word: torrents
  • Reply 164 of 188
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Interesting.
  • Reply 165 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One word: torrents

Well I guess that's one way to do it. *shrug*
  • Reply 166 of 188
    One feature, which I am not sure if any one has brought up, that I would like to see in the iTV (or whatever its going to be called) is the ability to stream the audio you are listening to on your iTV to Airport Expresses via Airtunes (perhaps updated with 802.11n support) exactly the way you can do in itunes. I could see this being a very useful feature if you have multiple airport expresses any different rooms and wish to listen to the same music at one time throughout your house and be able to select said song via your big TV in the living room.
  • Reply 167 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Well I guess that's one way to do it. *shrug*

Nice! Subtle.
  • Reply 168 of 188
    Seriously, that's not how I watch them. It helps to have friends scattered around the globe.
  • Reply 169 of 188
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB6387 View Post

One feature, which I am not sure if any one has brought up, that I would like to see in the iTV (or whatever its going to be called) is the ability to stream the audio you are listening to on your iTV to Airport Expresses via Airtunes (perhaps updated with 802.11n support) exactly the way you can do in itunes. I could see this being a very useful feature if you have multiple airport expresses any different rooms and wish to listen to the same music at one time throughout your house and be able to select said song via your big TV in the living room.

I'm sure they'll have an interface to link up multiple Airport Express units like AirTunes today but I'd guess it'd just tell the host computer to act as a slave to iTV and just stream out direct from there rather than from the iTV unit.

It'd be nice to see an AirTunes unit selection menu in FrontRow too for that matter.
  • Reply 170 of 188
    The one thing that'll prevent me from buying an iTV is if the device does not support "other" codecs, like DIVX.

I live in Canada, where we don't have the ability to buy TV shows from iTunes. I am never home when TV is on, so I download the torrents for all of my favourite shows the next day. If these are not supported, there's no way I'm going to use iTV.

It would be a mistake for SJ to not allow users to view media that is not purchased from the iTunes store. And, I'm sure not going to convert a DIVX file to something QT-compatible just to then stream it to my iTV....

I hope these things are taken care of, b/c an iTV is something I'd love to have...
  • Reply 171 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Propofol View Post

The one thing that'll prevent me from buying an iTV is if the device does not support "other" codecs, like DIVX.

I live in Canada, where we don't have the ability to buy TV shows from iTunes. I am never home when TV is on, so I download the torrents for all of my favourite shows the next day. If these are not supported, there's no way I'm going to use iTV.

It would be a mistake for SJ to not allow users to view media that is not purchased from the iTunes store. And, I'm sure not going to convert a DIVX file to something QT-compatible just to then stream it to my iTV....

I hope these things are taken care of, b/c an iTV is something I'd love to have...

Then you likely won't be buying one. Apple has shown little interest in codecs it has to pay for, or in little used open source versions.
  • Reply 172 of 188
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They're probably going to have to do at least two models anyway for the differences between PAL and NTSC so maybe they'll go as far as the backplane too.

There is no problem having the same device outputting both NTSC and PAL - a Mac does it today (and has been for years).

And stop saying that nobody uses component or other ports in Europe since component has been put in more and more TVs, DVD players and more in the last couple of years. Component is better than the RGB signal you can get from SCART - plus it supports progressive signals.

I'm almost 100% sure that Apple will sell adapters to the (IMHO) few customers that are very interested in having the latest technology in combining tvs and computers but have an old tv.
  • Reply 173 of 188
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

It will probably handle anything QT does. Can you import the shows in iTunes today?

I have a feeling that the computer will do the decoding to an Apple format that are streamed to the iTV - just like AirTunes does today.

One of the features I hope will be in iTV is buying from iTS directly.
  • Reply 174 of 188
    Quote:

I'm sure not going to convert a DIVX file to something QT-compatible just to then stream it to my iTV....

All you need is some free codecs.

DivX :: http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/codec/

XviD :: http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

3ivX :: http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

WMA/WMV :: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

There is also a new codec, called Perian, that will cover most file types in one simple codec. I haven't I tried it as the ones above are working perfectly, but I've heard good things about it.
  • Reply 175 of 188
    Quote:

All you need is some free codecs.

DivX :: http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/codec/

XviD :: http://n.ethz.ch/student/naegelic/download/

3ivX :: http://www.3ivx.com/download/macos.html

WMA/WMV :: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

There is also a new codec, called Perian, that will cover most file types in one simple codec. I haven't I tried it as the ones above are working perfectly, but I've heard good things about it.

It all depends on how it is streamed. If it is decoded in the computer first, then, possibly, these will work. But, possibly not. If all commercial releases need some sort of DRM, then these won't work.

If the decoding is done in the iTv, as some think it will, then they definitely won't work.
  • Reply 176 of 188
    i'm not sure if this has already been said; i did the 1,2, skip a few:

from reading the quotes carefully, it sounds to me like, ITV is (initially) going to be another box you can place on the top of your cable (comcast) box (that also acts like an "aiport") Apple will first try to drive "comcast" out of the entire "premium cable" market-- media/marketing companinies don't like the whole DVR/TIVO thing-- and as "comcast loses that money, Apple will take over what's left of the entire industry as its technology evolves. Instead of having to pay $200+ a month in order to be able to watch one (1) show you like on HBO, Showtime, etc... you'll be able to download any show you want from "itunes" for $1.99 &/or a smaller basic subscription. I'm guessing it ultimately won't be much different from your hi-def box today, with the exception that you'll (hopefully) be able to upgrade the firmware, HDMI, etc, as it progresses.

whatever you DL, you can either go wirelessly straight to your computer (coming from the ITV/Airport box-- at whatever speeds exist at the time) or be able to stick your computer either inbetween the modem out and your ITV box, or connect the computer to the out in the ITV Box. If you play around with a "comcast" box, it already has an etehernet port and firewire ports that you can use to hook directly up to a computer than an external hard drive.

meaning you could use the connection from the "cable box" and go straight into your ITV... meaning you could cancell all your premium channels (if content is available to dowload from apple) as well as get rid of your extra HD/DVR boxes.

i'm sure you'll be able to share/control whatever you've downloaded/subscribe from your account, on your LAN.

i have no clue whether you'll need an ITV box for every TV (i doubt it... i hope).

i don't know initially if everyone will have to store the content they DL (new apple compression?? small sandisk like things instead of DVD?? or anything to act as a buffer before "streaming") or if, once you paid for something with your account, will it be just like having a cable box, and "available to you"?

Will it be coded between your ITV and computer or can you take your computer to a friends house an "SHARE THE CONTENT"? Doubt it!

i'm guessing once apple has iphone/ipod/itv, working with each other, all the wireless, wi-fi, or whatever is next will really kick-in and get worked out so that evrything apple is INCorperated.

And you thought apple would never own sirius/xmrs... with every in car navigation system, you can just tap into "the radio..." and 'DL' a song you like to your apple account or call up any songs you already "own" to play in your car and/or on play videos on your kids backseat video screens.

as for blu-ray and all other plugin componants--(sony) needs to make some money back after their battery problems.

IMO, itv will be a neat gimmick until apple really takes over.

Who's going to have the money to take Apple on, the Gov't (-$100trillion today)!?!?

Just my opinion though... hey, they already have plans drawn for aircraftcarriers to be commissioned in like 2047.
  • Reply 177 of 188
    Will Apple release a TV with built in media extender (iTV)?

If this new all-in-one HP TV & Vista media extender (note the Front Row-like interface) is any indication of things to come, then I'd say most definitely.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/h...nter-extender/
  • Reply 178 of 188
    Quote:

If this new all-in-one HP TV & Vista media extender (note the Front Row-like interface) is any indication of things to come, then I'd say most definitely.

Maybe not, but there's always a chance Apple may have teamed up with the likes of Samsung, Sharp or Sony to produce a 40-46" 1080p (1920x1200) LCD flatscreen TV with full Apple iTV functionality.
  • Reply 179 of 188
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It all depends on how it is streamed. If it is decoded in the computer first, then, possibly, these will work. But, possibly not. If all commercial releases need some sort of DRM, then these won't work.

If the decoding is done in the iTv, as some think it will, then they definitely won't work.

WMA/WMV I believe is handled by the most common chips. The rest, if you can get it into your iTunes library it should work but that implies conversion into a iTV compatible format. Kinda like the iPod.

Vinea
  • Reply 180 of 188
    Quote:

Agreed.

I think this is going to go beyond just the IPTV / streaming focus discussed here... more the whole home entertainment ecosystem will be addressed with announcements throughout 2007 with iTV being the key component. If Bill Gates Keynote is any indication (by trying to preempt Apple's announcements), then I think we are in store for some pretty exciting announcements.

Excerpted form Bill Gate Keynote at CES (Thanks Engadget):

7:22 - Windows Home Server for homes with multiple PCs, Xboxs, want storage available at all times.

7:23 - Coming out 2nd half of this year. "Features: automated backup, connectivity to all PCs, Zune, Xbox, and remote connectivity, if you're somewhere else, can come in and get files in secure way. No complexity. If you want to grow capacity, just plug new storage in, lots of expandability, software automatically detects it. Can get terabytes of data on this device."

"We think it's a category that can explode in importance."

7:24 - Connected entertainment. Robbie Bach is coming out.

7:26 - Robbie is talking now about connected entertainment. "It has two parts, content: music, movies, games. We want people to get on whatever device they want. 2nd part is community. People want to share content, ideas, community entertainment and experiences. Bring those together. Combining software, hardware, and service to deliver connected entertainment..."

7:40 - TV and movies. "Big news is HD and how fast that is taking off. I wanna talk about four ways to get HD movies today on MSFT ecosystem. HD-DVD player add-on for Xbox 360. Perhaps bigger news is that HD-DVD format has been top selling format.

2nd way you can get that experience: on Media Center. 30M copies of Media Center worldwide. 3rd way is with Xbox Live Video, introduce in November, 1000 hours of content. Adding Lion's Gate to the mix for even more content."

7:42 - Demo of Xbox Live Video marketplace.

7:43 - "4th and final area, is what we call IPTV. In five markets with providers to roll out IPTV to consumers. Market will become major part of TV delivery ecosystem."

Doing demo of Microsoft IPTV system.

7:44 - IPTV running on an Xbox 360![

7:45 - Demo is running on Xbox, using Xbox dashboard to toggle between live TV and games.

"I want to point out that Xbox 360 allows partners to differentiate themselves. Available THIS year, by holiday 2007."