A little bird told me

Comments

• Reply 241 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMac David View Post

But still, my technical question is still out there - is there any technical difficulty in doing what I suggest?

Yes, your question is a valid one. As far as I know, there is no way to have in OS X two login sessions running at the same time on the same machine through separate monitors. This is a technical limitation and concerns the native Aqua environment. Fast User Switch is a way to partially alleviate this problem. I would bet however that you can have this functionality in X11 sessions, I don't know though how to set it up.
  • Reply 242 of 377
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    after seeing the colorful iPod shuffle, iMac will get color next?

It will be nice with different colors, White is kinda too dull after long time ...

1) Colorful iMac

2) Chinless iMac

3) some form of Alu

4) and good specs
  • Reply 243 of 377
    I'd like to see Apple push the envelope again with the new iMac.

This will be the first post PPC/Intel transition iMac and I'm hoping for something really special.

I'd like to see a Intel's consumer Quad core in there. Running at 2.4 gig would be nice. For the 24 inch model... I'd like to see the display go chinless and alu'. And a 8800 Nvidia variant lower power GPU. You'd have a nice rig with that. 2 gigs of ram on the top model. Colour annodized to match the shuffles woud hark back to the original iMac...

I'd like to see them push the price bracket down further from 675 pounds to 595 pounds inc VAT.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 244 of 377
    Take a VERY BIG NOTICE on Jobs words (in the just released open letter) about DRM free music !!

It will shape a LOT of things to emerge soon...

Are we excited yet ?

PS: Question: How can DRM have anything to do with Macs ?????????????????
  • Reply 245 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

but...

the iMac is...

Portable - wireless screen?

The veracity of your claims is impossible to determine, without an elevator involved.
  • Reply 246 of 377
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy View Post

Take a VERY BIG NOTICE on Jobs words (in the just released open letter) about DRM free music !!

Are we excited yet ?

PS: Question: How can DRM have anything to do with Macs ?????????????????

Macs are currently the storehouse for all iTunes downloads. If music labels and movie studios can get past the stupid DRM thing, Apple could greatly increase the number of available music and movie titles on the iTunes store.

I'd like to be able to download music, TV shows and movies directly from an ?TV and have them stream directly to an HDTV. The Mac can be used to set up the account but once that's done, you should be able to buy stuff from your couch. There should also be a rental model for movies such that a rental would stream to your TV for viewing, stay on the ?TV HD for a set period of time and then disappear.
  • Reply 247 of 377
    Much as I would love to believe you, I don't think SJ's statement has anything to do with changes in Apple's policy. I think they are just putting the ball (and blame) into the recdord companies' court.

They are simply telling the EU, consumers, other regulators etc that they would happily drop DRM tomorrow if they music industry let them. It is also a shot across the bows of the film industry, who by all accounts want even more stringent DRM than the music industry pimps ('cos that's what they all are). Universal want a cut of every iPod as well as evry film. and they want draconian DRM as well. Apple's simply making public the argument (that's obviously failed in private) "Ha! Do you really think we're going to let you get away with that? And do you really think we're gonna take the blame when we lose a restrictive practices case in the EU?

Apple's brand has been hurt more than any over the music DRM fiasco, even though it was insisted upon by the music industry. Apple are going public as (the consumer's friend" to strenghten their negotiating hand.
  • Reply 248 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

Much as I would love to believe you, I don't think SJ's statement has anything to do with changes in Apple's policy. I think they are just putting the ball (and blame) into the recdord companies' court.

They are simply telling the EU, consumers, other regulators etc that they would happily drop DRM tomorrow if they music industry let them. It is also a shot across the bows of the film industry, who by all accounts want even more stringent DRM than the music industry pimps ('cos that's what they all are). Universal want a cut of every iPod as well as evry film. and they want draconian DRM as well. Apple's simply making public the argument (that's obviously failed in private) "Ha! Do you really think we're going to let you get away with that? And do you really think we're gonna take the blame when we lose a restrictive practices case in the EU?

Apple's brand has been hurt more than any over the music DRM fiasco, even though it was insisted upon by the music industry. Apple are going public as (the consumer's friend" to strenghten their negotiating hand.

Well, Jobs words are multidirectional shots.

On one hand, he plainly states that DRM is a Label-Owned-Tech and not Apple's.

On the other hand it points, together with the iPhone to a very significant paradigm change in tech. You see in the last 5 years tech had a tremendous boost that only landed the power on the 3 biggest industries that benefited from it.

1- Music Industry

2- Video Industry ( not movies , yet)

3- Cellphone operators.

For me, the biggest greedy bastards in the world ate BY FAR, the cellphone operators ( I should know...) They artificially jack up prices, distort terminal prices, often blaming the imcumbent networks, but really they are the Devil on Earth.

Apple has created something with the Music Industry to serve as an example for consumer awareness and future expectations.

Apple said " Let us show you how cool and simple enjoying Music is "...2 years later everyone and their mother are crying DRM (not ipods or Apple) should be killed... Supose it is ? What's left ? Apple's elegant players and Jukebox/Online Distribution. BINGO.

Do , we consumers , care ? I do.

Now let's enter another industry. Apple again makes the coolest, most elegant, well thought out tech and sells it to consumers. Everyone loves it BUT AS ALWAYS, the price setters ( cellphone operators,) willl find even MORE DEVIOUS WAYS to get your money...

Want more proof ?

Everyone in the world still pays internet "traffic" ,LOL, and per minute usage. Guess they learned something from the cellular crooks.

The telephone is a hundred years ols and now it's the single MOST EXPENSIVE commodiy in the planet.

Cellphone operators are now the criminals who fight every second of their pathetic professional lives to keep the paradigm of "AIRTIME" billable.

I hope DRM goes away, I hope iPhone cost 500 USD or even more.And most of all I hope WiMAX to come sooner rather than later and my iPhone will switch to that.

I for one like to pay for the tech I use...
  • Reply 249 of 377
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I'd like to see Apple push the envelope again with the new iMac.

This will be the first post PPC/Intel transition iMac and I'm hoping for something really special.

I'd like to see a Intel's consumer Quad core in there. Running at 2.4 gig would be nice. For the 24 inch model... I'd like to see the display go chinless and alu'. And a 8800 Nvidia variant lower power GPU. You'd have a nice rig with that. 2 gigs of ram on the top model. Colour annodized to match the shuffles woud hark back to the original iMac...

I'd like to see them push the price bracket down further from 675 pounds to 595 pounds inc VAT.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I like that specs

That will be cool, Quad Core!, how much is that, $999? not sure, could be expensive for iMac...

Why was black color left out of Shuffle? going to be get rid from Nano as well?
  • Reply 250 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

I'd like to see a Intel's consumer Quad core in there.

Is not prohibitively expensive for the iMac class and for an already expensive consumer model (24")? Anyone knows what is the price difference between the dual and the quad core chips? Somehow I feel this is not going to happen just because of cost considerations.
  • Reply 251 of 377
    Quote:

Are we excited yet ?

No. What this has to do with the iMac? I see nothing. Or we do talk about something else?
  • Reply 252 of 377
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

The veracity of your claims is impossible to determine, without an elevator involved.

Ha ha

I'm making plastics right now!
  • Reply 253 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

No. What this has to do with the iMac? I see nothing. Or we do talk about something else?

Hmmm... we MIGHT be talking about something else.

But still the iMac used to be the HUB of your digital life. Next one will be more of a GIGASWITCH at that. As I said before expect something very different...
  • Reply 254 of 377
    Quote:

But still the iMac used to be the HUB of your digital life. Next one will be more of a GIGASWITCH at that.

May I ask, what is a GIGASWITCH?

Quote:

As I said before expect something very different...

OK, let's say I believe you. I don't ask for details. Just two things: do you have from your source a clear picture of the hardware and when one can expect it? Or more vaguely, before or after Leopard's release?
  • Reply 255 of 377
    Quote:

Hmmm... we MIGHT be talking about something else.

But still the iMac used to be the HUB of your digital life. Next one will be more of a GIGASWITCH at that. As I said before expect something very different...

Oh man, someone is setting himself up to be ROLOed big time if his vague rumors turn out to be no more than just that....

Moreover I'm very curious what kind of "little bird" finds his way from Cupertino to Portugal

For now iThink it's just the iDodo
  • Reply 256 of 377
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

May I ask, what is a GIGASWITCH?

Gigaswitch is the missing piece that has held up Gigawire all these years.
  • Reply 257 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk View Post

Gigaswitch is the missing piece that has held up Gigawire all these years.

Ah, thanks, I see now!
  • Reply 258 of 377
    [QUOTE=PB;1039467OK, let's say I believe you. I don't ask for details. Just two things: do you have from your source a clear picture of the hardware and when one can expect it? Or more vaguely, before or after Leopard's release?[/QUOTE]

No, not a clear picture, sorry.

I have been completely transparent on the info I have.

As this is no secret, I was told to expect a very different iMac on the next iteration. I have some personal reasons to believe this info to be true, but, truth be said, absolutely to factual evidence on it. It should be no hard prediction to expect something evolutive on the iMac, but "little bird" said, more than once, to expect a more "radical" approach.

Tis what I know , and nothing less.

As for me being wrong, no problem. Messengers get killed all the time.

As for Leopard, absolutely no info...
  • Reply 259 of 377
    Quote:

No, not a clear picture, sorry.

I have been completely transparent on the info I have.

As this is no secret, I was told to expect a very different iMac on the next iteration. I have some personal reasons to believe this info to be true, but, truth be said, absolutely to factual evidence on it. It should be no hard prediction to expect something evolutive on the iMac, but "little bird" said, more than once, to expect a more "radical" approach.

Tis what I know , and nothing less.

As for me being wrong, no problem. Messengers get killed all the time.

As for Leopard, absolutely no info...

OK, thanks, this clears up some things.
  • Reply 260 of 377
    Any time frame you know of for the iMac update?