A little bird told me

1131415161719»

Comments

  • Reply 361 of 377
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post


    I was thinking of buying ... concrete announcement, and then forget it.



    my bet: new iMacs in May!
  • Reply 362 of 377
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post


    I was thinking of buying my first Mac back in August. Then they announced the new 24" iMacs, so thought I'd wait a bit until all the bugs were worked out. Then, as the Holidays approached, it seemed like a good idea to wait until Leopard was released, at the time the rumor was early '07. Then Spring '07. I'm getting a little impatient as I'm still using an old Dell 933mhz PIII, putting off moving it to work so I can use it there for my business, and buying a new Mac for home where I can finally start editing my MiniDV home movies (old Dell too s l o w). Then, rumor of new Macs being put off till June for new awsome "must have" type innovative hardware upgrade. Now you say Q3 before anything new? WTF! I hope that's just part of the rumor mill too, and that we do see something in June, otherwise I'm inclined to write Apple off as a fine producer of Vaporware and buy a Windows laptop. I really want to buy a Mac, but I can't wait till Q3. I also hate the thought of spending money on a Windows laptop to get me to tided over till Apple gets around to it. And I'm not going to buy a Mac now with it soooo close (?) to new hardware. I'm going to give them till June to at least have a concrete announcement, and then forget it.



    With Santa Rosa notebooks shipping late May , Apple cant wait much longer , surely not 'till Q3. If it's just refresh they'll release it with others late May , early June. But if it is as rumored re-design , new display etc , WWDC is the only place.
  • Reply 363 of 377
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post


    Vaporware is when the manufacturer announces the product, and then doesn't deliver. Apple hasn't announced anything on the Mac front yet. You can't believe every rumor that comes down the pipe, y'know? Nobody out here in Internetland knows anything more than you do, or if they do, they aren't talking.



    You have two options, really: buy soon after a product is released, or wait for the next bump, if that release was far enough back. That's really it. You can't play the "wait for bugs to get taken care of" *and* "don't want to buy then have a new version come out". Pick which one is most important to you, and make your decisions on that one, and that one alone. Otherwise, as you're finding out, you'll never actually buy.



    I totally understand. I was doing a bit of venting I figured with enough rumors that Macs will be getting worthwhile upgrades, there would probably be enough truth to it that waiting to see what would actually be released was worth the wait. With Leopard on the horizon it makes sence that there might be a few goodies that new hardware would optimize, similar to having a screaming new PC to capitalize on Vista's bells and whistles. Bottom line is I will buy a new Mac, but now it's looking like I'm also going to have to get a cheap laptop in the mean time, at least if it looks like June is out for new Macs.
  • Reply 364 of 377
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post


    I totally understand. I was doing a bit of venting



    Oh, well, okay then. Vent away.

    Quote:

    I figured with enough rumors that Macs will be getting worthwhile upgrades, there would probably be enough truth to it that waiting to see what would actually be released was worth the wait.



    The problem is separating out the reasonable rumors from the ZOMG! AYTE-KORE IMACS WITH ANTI-GRAVITY 4 $199!!!!1!!!!1 ones. :P Your best bet right now is probably to watch Intel's roadmap for CPU bumps (which is also generally when case redesigns happen, if they're going to.)

    Quote:

    With Leopard on the horizon it makes sence that there might be a few goodies that new hardware would optimize, similar to having a screaming new PC to capitalize on Vista's bells and whistles. Bottom line is I will buy a new Mac, but now it's looking like I'm also going to have to get a cheap laptop in the mean time, at least if it looks like June is out for new Macs.



    Well, you *could* get a used MacBook as your cheap laptop to dip your toe in the waters, so to speak. Make sure that it does what you need (not speed wise, but functionality wise), make sure your files will transfer, etc, etc. Then sell that when the must-have Mac of your dreams comes out.
  • Reply 365 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    With mobile 4 core intel chips, I believe slated for release in 3Q 2007 I would be hopeful to see them in iMacs at LEAST in Macworld 2008, wouldn't you?



    Sorry to bring the "bad"news, but Intel recently announced its plans for a quad-core mobile platform sometime in 2008, not 2007. So that is for the iMac, unless Apple decides to reverse the size shrinking trend of the last years and opts to go big for the next iMac. But I somehow doubt it.
  • Reply 366 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wally007 View Post


    But if it is as rumored re-design , new display etc , WWDC is the only place.



    What about Apple Expo Paris (remember the G5 iMac introduction)? So close to Leopard release...
  • Reply 367 of 377
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    What about Apple Expo Paris (remember the G5 iMac introduction)? So close to Leopard release...



    Yeah, but remember the iMac G5 was supposed to be announced at the WWDC! Apple later admitted a mistake in planning, and promised to release it in September. Apple Paris was a convenient place to do it.
  • Reply 368 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Yeah, but remember the iMac G5 was supposed to be announced at the WWDC! Apple later admitted a mistake in planning, and promised to release it in September. Apple Paris was a convenient place to do it.



    Yes, I know that. I simply doubt that Apple would introduce new design for the iMac the same month the iPhone is launched. And Apple Expo always is a candidate for new hardware when updates are pending. So, you can argue either way.
  • Reply 369 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    Sorry to bring the "bad"news, but Intel recently announced its plans for a quad-core mobile platform sometime in 2008, not 2007. So that is for the iMac, unless Apple decides to reverse the size shrinking trend of the last years and opts to go big for the next iMac. But I somehow doubt it.



    Apologies if I was spreading falsehoods I think I was reading a thread (somewhere) that was talking about the Mac range using mobile chips, but it must have also contained info about this new quad core chip from intel (most likely) ending up in the iMac and confused the two leading me to believe that a quadcore was comming soon, as in 3Q



    however i did state "Macworld 2008"



    any chance they will shift Macworld? just so I'm right you understand!



    Edited to add :- Actually, given the amount of false info on this thread already, that is claimed and half claimed as truth, I am as likely to be right as anyone else.
  • Reply 370 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    however i did state "Macworld 2008"



    any chance they will shift Macworld? just so I'm right you understand!



    Not impossible, but too much stretched.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    Edited to add :- Actually, given the amount of false info on this thread already, that is claimed and half claimed as truth, I am as likely to be right as anyone else.



    Spot on! It helps to focus on the facts and evidence though.
  • Reply 371 of 377
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    I simply doubt that Apple would introduce new design for the iMac the same month the iPhone is launched.



    Well the iphone won't be launched at the WWDC. Touched upon, maybe. The WWDC will be Leopard-centric, of course, and Apple has enough momentum to launch a new iMac in the same month as the iphone.
  • Reply 372 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    Not impossible, but too much stretched.





    Spot on! It helps to focus on the facts and evidence though.



    All in good humour I have however edited the post of mine in question to reflect the inaccuracies within it.
  • Reply 373 of 377
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Steve could release everything new and with a subtle "boom" all of our heads would explode.



    This would diffuse any ill feelings about an Oct. release for Leopard.



    iphone SDK as well.
  • Reply 374 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Well the iphone won't be launched at the WWDC. Touched upon, maybe. The WWDC will be Leopard-centric, of course, and Apple has enough momentum to launch a new iMac in the same month as the iphone.



    I think the iPhone will get a "healthy" mention, after all its about to ship, may possibly be ready for pre oreder like many past Apple products and I feel sure that Steve would love to reveal added/polished apps that are ready for showing now, that wer'nt back in Jan.

    Plus the fact of it being the WWDC it is a possibility that there could be reason to mention 3rd party apps there, rather than at the iPhone launch propper.



    But as sure as the sun shines Leopard will dominate, or at least it had BETTER dominate, or a lot of people will implode!
  • Reply 375 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post


    Well the iphone won't be launched at the WWDC. Touched upon, maybe.



    I am not saying it will be launched at the WWDC, just in June. I have the feeling that the iPhone is a really big affair for Apple, so I guess Apple would not like anything revolutionary (like a radically redesigned iMac) in its way for some weeks around the lauch date. This can easily eat up about one month and it is not without precedent. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 376 of 377
    pbpb Posts: 4,237member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post


    All in good humour I have however edited the post of mine in question to reflect the inaccuracies within it.



    Quite sensitive from your part!



    So, here is my reference.
  • Reply 377 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post


    Quite sensitive from your part!



    So, here is my reference.



    Not really I was in error, where would we be if we could not admit our errors and learn from them



    Thanks for the link, very enlightening.



    The Intel roadmap is very exciting, I believe though that there is a tendancy for Apple followers to expect so much more all the time, after all we have been pretty spoiled since Jan 2006 >BOOM< indeed!



    I have a great desire, but truthfully not an actual need to get an iMac at the moment, it does feel however that holding out for Leopard may be possible, if not probable, however holding out for quad core iMacs is too long for me to wait.



    Still the phrase "Bring em on!" comes to mind
Sign In or Register to comment.