Cingular stores buzzing with iPhone inquiries

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

As I said they SELL THE IDE...it is called VS2005, in the high end package, it has a mobile dev tool.

Windows Mobile allows any binary compiled for the WinCE API to run natively on it. As far as I know, only the official Visual Studio releases allow access to it. But if you have the correct headers and start-up code, I don't see why you couldn't compile stuff for it using arm-gcc.

It also supports the .NET Compact Framework. This is a subset of the .NET framework used on regular Windows machines as a "managed" alternative to the Win32 API, and it's somewhat akin to Java in that it's intermediately compiled to a machine-independent bytecode. The .NET runtime's CLR recompiles it just-in-time to the native instruction set and provides access to a standardized API. In that way, it's somewhat akin to Java except the just-in-time native code is cached for faster runtimes in subsequent runs, and it's somewhat akin to Rosetta on Mac OS X, except that .NET's bytecode will not run natively on any of the supported machines.

Any development suite which allows writing programming of .NET applications could theoretically be used to develop applications which will run on both Windows Mobile and "regular" Windows with a single bytecode, as long as you limit yourself to linking against classes which exist in the Compact Framework. Since the Compact Framework and associated headers are freely downloadable from Microsoft's website, verifying this limitation isn't a problem.

There are several freely-available SDKs available which allow you to develop .NET applications, and most of them are not as inflexible as Microsoft's free offering, Visual Studio Express 2005. (IIRC, Visual Studio Express adds artificial restrictions which would prevent you from linking against the .NET Compact framework.) SharpDevelop, for example, doesn't have that restriction. However, there are still some Do-It-Yourself steps required before you can get things fully working.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, then I guess you have a very different definition then. I see "closed" as in you have to get the device maker's permission to even get the software on the device period, assuming they let anyone near it, and assuming they do, pay said maker for every copy sold after signing some self-flaggelating contract.

That's too common and I would not be at all surprised to see Apple do that. For example, there is no authorized SDK available for iPods at any price that I'm aware of, and they may very well continue that particular legacy. Frankly, I really don't think Newsweek had a situation like OpenDarwin in mind when asking about the openness of the platform. At any rate, we'll have to wait for some sort of clarification.

there is no SDK for the Dell/Creative/brand-x mp3 player, afaik, there is no SDK for Zune...but a smartphone is soooo much more...it is kindof pointless without 3rd party apps...imagine, no pith helmet for Safari, no in-house tools for big companies (think an inventory database viewer/searcher for the supply manager at a factory), no Delicious Library tool, no chance to use the wifi functionality to integrate into home automation...

MP3-players by nature are not connected...this is a connected device, no way to make 3rd party apps means I (and MANY other Apple fans who are not koolaid drinkers) will not buy one because I can live with my razer and $500 in my pocket.

Apple said that there would be no iPhone for years, Apple said No video ipod...Apple said no iPod for windows, Apple said NO fuullscreen without QT Pro, then put full screen in iTunes...Apple lies through their teeth, particularly when the devices in question have yet to ship...

Like I said...WWDC One more thing...
  • Reply 63 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I apologize if this has been brought up earlier ... but I bet this is the first of several new iPods, this one happens to be the one with phone and internet... surely there is also a 'iPod Video Wide Screen' $199-299 depending on HD just around the corner too? Or is Steve worried it would slow sales of iPhone?

Here is another tangential comment... I am sick to death of non www compliant web sites (Realtor MLS systems are prime examples of Active X maniacs). Maybe in a few years if iPhones + Safari are as ubiquitous as iPods are now it may force the end to Mac marginalization (is that a word?). OK just a hope
  • Reply 64 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

there is no SDK for the Dell/Creative/brand-x mp3 player, afaik, there is no SDK for Zune...but a smartphone is soooo much more...it is kindof pointless without 3rd party apps...imagine, no pith helmet for Safari, no in-house tools for big companies (think an inventory database viewer/searcher for the supply manager at a factory), no Delicious Library tool, no chance to use the wifi functionality to integrate into home automation...

MP3-players by nature are not connected...this is a connected device, no way to make 3rd party apps means I (and MANY other Apple fans who are not koolaid drinkers) will not buy one because I can live with my razer and $500 in my pocket.

Apple said that there would be no iPhone for years, Apple said No video ipod...Apple said no iPod for windows, Apple said NO fuullscreen without QT Pro, then put full screen in iTunes...Apple lies through their teeth, particularly when the devices in question have yet to ship...

Like I said...WWDC One more thing...

I can't wait for WWDC!

Yes, "NO" in SJ lingo means "NO...t yet"
  • Reply 65 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I think Apple will sell iPhone widgets on iTunes for $.99. The time it takes to make a quality widget, compared with the 100s of thousands (if not millions) of customers who will buy them, makes them the first thing on iTunes that Apple will really make a huge profit from.

Sure, we kow they are at least breaking operating in the black with iTunes, buy tiny Java app that is only a few Kilobytes to DL and takes only a couple hours to create something that will be pure profit.

For instance, If I were traveling, which I do several times a year, I'd pay a small fee to have the Flight Tracker and Translator widgets on my iPhone. Something like the Unit Convertor isn't something I need much, except for currency comparison, but I'd still even pay a small fee for that, too.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope it has a way to record phone conversations. I know many softphones have this feature, but does any current smartphone have this feature?

As far as I know, that would be illegal, unless you notify the other party every time you spoke to them and recorded it.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As far as I know, that would be illegal, unless you notify the other party every time you spoke to them and recorded it.

Not true. Recorded calls aren't admissible in a court of law in US if the party was not made aware, but there is no law saying that you can't record a conversation for your own benefit.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:

Not true. Recorded calls aren't admissible in a court of law in US if the party was not made aware, but there is no law saying that you can't record a conversation for your own benefit.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Funny thing. Here, cingular don't lock their phones. I have a Motorola MPx220 smartphone and my brother has some type of T-mobile smartphone. We changed sim cards, my phone worked with his sim, but his phone didn't work with my sim. Question is, why would apple give a shit about the phone being unlocked.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    because they dont want people coming to them with problems because nothing works and because it wont work, haha the phone is not unlockable it has hardware that detects it from being unlocked and will not allow you to use the ipod or any of the features, u wont be able to get passed the warning it will probably show
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Didn't a law just pass where all phones must be unlockable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

because they dont want people coming to them with problems because nothing works and because it wont work, haha the phone is not unlockable it has hardware that detects it from being unlocked and will not allow you to use the ipod or any of the features, u wont be able to get passed the warning it will probably show

• Reply 72 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I think Apple will sell iPhone widgets on iTunes for $.99.

I hope not. It sets a bad president. The widget platform should remain free.
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I hope not. It sets a bad president. The widget platform should remain free.

Bad president, bad president!...woof!

Bad presidents set a bad precedent, also.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

If it's based on Mac OS, then I'm sure that Apple will be happy to provide developer tools for it once it's released. After all, the more cool applications/widgets/etc which are developed for the phone, the more phones they'll sell. I can't see why they'd keep it as a closed development environment after it's been released to the public.

That's what makes logical sense, but as it happens they've already said they won't do that.

Amorya
  • Reply 75 of 82
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I wonder if you can just just keep converging calls among other iPhones? How many conversations can we daisy chain before we bring down Cingular's network?

Merging calls isn't an iPhone only feature. Any crappy Nokia will do it.

(My record is six, as it happens, before Orange lost track.)

Amorya
  • Reply 76 of 82
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

That's what makes logical sense, but as it happens they've already said they won't do that.

Just like Jobs said video is unnecessary on the iPod and Apple would not make iPods with flash drives.

There really is no telling what they will do.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Didn't a law just pass where all phones must be unlockable.

no no one has to unlock any phone, they just have to have the ability to port the numbers, and for that you have to check on too, but who knows
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Ok this is the new law i'm talking about. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/..._unlock28.html They don't have to unlock it for you, but if you decide to unlock it, you're not breaking any type of laws. I wonder how Apple will get around this.

Quote:

no no one has to unlock any phone, they just have to have the ability to port the numbers, and for that you have to check on too, but who knows

• Reply 79 of 82
    oh ya theres no law against unlocking phones, companies do it all the time and if you know how you can...problem is apple implemented things that wont allow this, i guess as soon as the phone acknowledges your not on cingular you cant even get to the ipod or any other functions...and i heard steve said theres no way to bypass this..but then again theyres some crazy hackers
  • Reply 80 of 82
    But wouldn't that be illegal?

Quote:

oh ya theres no law against unlocking phones, companies do it all the time and if you know how you can...problem is apple implemented things that wont allow this, i guess as soon as the phone acknowledges your not on cingular you cant even get to the ipod or any other functions...and i heard steve said theres no way to bypass this..but then again theyres some crazy hackers

If they do it this way, then big thumbs down for Apple. It may change before release. I don't care either way since I'm a happy Cingular customer whose contract is up in July.