Apple to impose 802.11n upgrade fee on Intel Mac owners

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Core 2 Duo-based Mac owners who want to unlock next-generation 802.11n wireless technologies hidden inside their computers will first have to fork a few bucks over to Apple, AppleInsider has confirmed.

That's unless they plan to plunk down $179 for the company's forthcoming 802.11n-enabled AirPort Extreme Base Station, with which the unlocking fee (and 802.11n software enabler patch) are reportedly included.

You see, Apple for the last several months has quietly been shipping the majority of its Core 2 Duo systems with inactive support for the draft 802.11n specification, an emerging wireless standard that promises fivefold speed increases over previous-generation 802.11g products.

Apple last week confirmed the move, saying Mac systems currently shipping with hidden 802.11n capabilities included the Core 2 Duo MacBook, Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme, and the Core 2 Duo iMac (with the exception of the 17-inch 1.83GHz model).

The company said that it plans to offer an "AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler 1.0" patch next month when it begins shipping its new AirPort Extreme Base Station, which will activate the technology.

"Most new Mac computers ship with built-in 802.11n wireless support that can be easily enabled with the installation of enabler software included with new AirPort Extreme wireless base station," Apple wrote on its website.

What the company did not say is that Core 2 Duo Mac owners who want to unlock 802.11n capabilities for use with third party wireless solutions will have to pay a small $4.99 fee before downloading the 802.11n enabler patch.

Reasons behind the move -- and such a small obnoxious fee -- are not necessarily clear at the moment. However, iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz is offering an explanation from some Apple representatives present at last week's Macworld Expo.

According to the editor, the fee stems from a law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures.

"Because of the Act, the company believes that if it sells a product, then later adds a feature to that product, it can be held liable for improper accounting if it recognizes revenue from the product at the time of sale, given that it hasn?t finished delivering the product at that point," he wrote.

So if you're a Core 2 Duo Mac owner that wants 802.11n without having to purchase a new AirPort Extreme, you may want to hold onto that 5-spot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 205
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    This may be the first time I think Apple is being a money hungry whore. Make it a $1.00 and we got a deal Steve.
  • Reply 2 of 205
    tdnc101tdnc101 Posts: 109member
    5 bucks is really next to nothing, but this is a crass money grab.

Every once in a while Apple dissapoints me, and this is certainly one of those times. Although, I do admit I know nothing about the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, but from the description it seems like more of an excuse than a requirement.
  • Reply 3 of 205
    So, how long before the patch ends up on BitTorrent or Limewire ... heh ... I can understand why Apple has to charge the fee, but it will bite them in the ass I'm sure. Of course, 802.11n is kinda new so it may not be a huge deal for a lot of people
  • Reply 4 of 205
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Interesting. Well, how does this apply to later down the line, if at all, when Apple decides to upgrade the features and services to iPhone via a software update?
  • Reply 5 of 205
    Does anyone recall any new features which have been added to OSX via Software Update?

I'm sure there have been a couple, at a minimum.
  • Reply 6 of 205
    just wondering, how would this affect how the final 'n' spec goes? i mean, its not 'finished', if you get me, so will other companies have to go the way apple has gone?
  • Reply 7 of 205
    Interesting reason for this fee... I guess we can thank Enron for this, right? Anyway, 5 bucks isn't a big deal.
  • Reply 8 of 205
    Interesting, but not surprising. Can't expect everything for free.
  • Reply 9 of 205
    deepdeep Posts: 13member
    Apple wants $5 for this? Fine by me!!! Apple, you keep making awsome products that make my life easier, more productive, and better! Hell, if I could give you a 15% tip for not making me endure the nightmare that is windoze, I would.
  • Reply 10 of 205
    $5 is nothing - the price of a happy meal. They certainly don't need your $5 - they could make more money other simpler ways. Hardly worth being 'stunade over.

They are stuck in the middle of the law, the emerging draft standard, the race to compete, and rapidly evolving hardware. Their choices were probably (1) hold up the manu line on the new macs (2) ship a buggy apx (3) run afoul of the law (4) shun the standard or (d) all of the above. They've had lawyers, engineers and MBA's up one side of this and down the other, I'm sure they've covered it as best they can. I doubt seriously if we're going to uncover something they missed.
  • Reply 11 of 205
    This has to be the best real world application of an arcane accounting rule I have ever seen!

(and I do work in the public sector these days so I see a LOT of arcane accounting)

Why $5? Could be there is some basic cost to tracking and accounting for all this yet to be unrealized post sale after market non-profit. Or there might be an even more arcane rule in SarBox that sets the minimum a company may charge for this kind of silliness.

Long Live SarBox!
  • Reply 12 of 205
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deep View Post

Apple wants $5 for this? Fine by me!!! Apple, you keep making awsome products that make my life easier, more productive, and better! Hell, if I could give you a 15% tip for not making me endure the nightmare that is windoze, I would.

Interesting contrarian post. I tend to agree. $5 isn't a deal breaker. Hell my extra value meal that I'm scarfing down right now cost me $7 to pollute my arteries and ensure a quicker death. LOL.

Interesting point about the Sarbannes-Oxely stuff. I didn't know there was language like that in it.
  • Reply 13 of 205
    loulou Posts: 43member
    Well i ordered my macbook on saturday, after the 802.11n confirmation, so i ordere it knowing it has n, also i'm in the Uk, so this act is irrevelant. Any guesses on if this will still count?
  • Reply 14 of 205
    Hmm, interesting theory. I'll be interested to see the official apple line on this one. If it is true, what about countries where the act does not apply?! Do they get it for free?
  • Reply 15 of 205
    Thankfully, it was already in my radar to buy the new Airport Extreme Base Station when it comes out to complement my new mac - yes ladies and gents, I finally pulled the trigger on Thursday and so far, I'm loving the MBP. I'd pay the 5 bucks if I needed to... not a big deal. What I want to know is when next month will the base station be out? C'mon, don' t have me waiting to the 28th!
  • Reply 16 of 205
    That's where P2P comes in handy. Not that I endorse piracy. Heaven forbid!
  • Reply 17 of 205
    I am not really sure how I feel about this...I have come across alot of unadvertised updates before...and never paid for them. I have a hard time believing this will go over well with most people. Yeah its only 5 bucks, but its the idea of paying for something any smart user could unlock themselves.
  • Reply 18 of 205
    merlemerle Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the editor, the fee stems from a law called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, which supposedly prohibits Apple from giving away an unadvertised new feature of an already sold product without enduring some onerous accounting measures.

Makes perfect sense. Apple has always gone the extra mile to comply with accounting laws.

hahaha.

But seriously, isn't every 'free' upgrade a similar event? I don't believe this is a cash grab, but it is a poorly thought out policy.
  • Reply 19 of 205
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    I imagnine they know the patch will be in the wild instantaneously - but that's not their problem
  • Reply 20 of 205
    What I want to know is when will Apple make "n" cards available for those of us with slightly older machines, such as the MacBook 1.0? I would buy a new Airport Extreme card for my Book in a heartbeat, but there seems to be no word on if these will even be made available.

Anyone else hear anything hopeful?