*** New iMac Design Discussion

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What are your first impressions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Its classic Apple. Some won't like it at first, but its the kind of thing that becomes an icon.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    my impression: ****ing uber cool.

perhaps too stylish for trailerpark joe, though. he can keep buying an eMachines, though. 1299 for the bottom is excellent, seeing as the bottom end packs a combo drive and a 1 ghz g4 probably.

i'm ****ing ecstatic here.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    It certainly makes you Think Different about current computer designs. G4, LCD, DVD-R... all in this tiny enclosure. Not bad!

I agree with murk. Like the Cube, it'll catch your eye. Unlike the cube, it makes sense at the price points (well, mostly).
  • Reply 4 of 129
    It's fantastic.

Ives is a genius.

SdC
  • Reply 4 of 129
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think it's very cool looking. And of course it doesn't look like a computer, just like the original iMac really didn't. This will be a huge success for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    looks great. the article hints at a DVD-burner and a $1800 price tag.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    I think it's great. The most successful designs often make a certain % of people think they're hideously ugly, but I think it's a fantastic piece of industrial design.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    i thought, omg they are ruined.then i was like nifty
  • Reply 6 of 129
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    It's exactly what I was told from someone that didn't want to say anything

Unique....and a little odd

I like it. I want to see new keyboard and mouse because the current wont match. Also, someone said on another forum that the new mouse is one button with scroll wheel.

Does this mean we get G5s!!??
  • Reply 6 of 129
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't like it. The dome thing is very george jetson. But it's a picture and I think that it might be very visually interesting in person, so I'll reserve judgement.

The article makes it sound like all the cube technology basically found a new home. in the sphere. I kept saying they wouldn't waste all that R&D time and money.

The dome could be an interesting solution to the problem of where to put the drives. I wonder if the whole computer is in there or if the MoBo is behind the screen. I think Cube redux, so I think it's all in the base. Which brings up another possibility. This may be the first iMac that recieves updates to it's screen size/aspect as it gets updated.

Actually I'm getting a little excited by this.
  • Reply 11 of 129
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I am very... uncertain right now...

It looks very strange...

I could get used to it...

but...

I dont know...

I certainlt didnt expect that....

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

• Reply 12 of 129
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It will take a little getting used and some people won't like it, but I think I'll get one. It must be neat in person.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    where's the profile of this thing?!

it may be ugly in 2D, but what about the elusive 3rd dimension??

How deep is it man???
  • Reply 14 of 129
    the bottom is a hemisphere.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    I didn't know what to think of the design at first, but it has grown on me rather quickly.
  • Reply 16 of 129
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    posted this in another thread:

Meet George Jetson (again)

That was my first impression. It's perfectly logical once you decide 1, you want the monitor to fly free and 2 you want as simple a base as possible. Anything cubic would have felt weird, and a slab would have been frustrating since you can't fold the monitor against it and make a notebook out of it. It certainly surprised me, I felt it was a bit weird, but it's a good exercise in minimalist design, no? I'm warming up to it though it still looks a bit unusual.

added: I assume that the back is the flat part of the hemisphere for plugs and stuff. What about speakers though? Sounds like the "orbit" speakers will be detached. Wonder if the mouse and keyboard are new: the reported "click" and "clack." There is only one Apple logo on it on the base, I just noticed. very minimal.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 129
    My question is this:

The article point to 1299 low and 1799 high for prices. Are these Canadian prices? So, wouldn't US prices be a tad lower?

:confused: :eek:
  • Reply 18 of 129
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I hope this means G5 is coming tommorow.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Time Canada's report mentions that the iMac has a G4 "just like Apple's top-of-the-line machines."

I'd bet that they leave CRT iMacs for education and maybe the lowest end. Methinks those prices are american, otherwise it would mean about $750 for the low-end model (Apple ups the price for exports).
  • Reply 19 of 129
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member