*** New iMac Design Discussion

Comments

• Reply 81 of 129
    even though I started a thread about this already, but I have to ask to those who think the design is ugly "How if you could mount the new iMac on your wall?" You wouldn't have to see the computer then and it would also save a few more cm's on space.
  • Reply 82 of 129
    [quote]Originally posted by PookJP:

<strong>As with all the best artistic works, it will put you off at first, and gradually take you in.

- Pook</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd have to agree. If it doesn't polarize the viewer from the get go, why bother? Apple has been dishing out fantastic industrial design that actually has a purpose, a message. And every design has been ground breaking, polarizing even, ever since they ditched the beige cases. Apple couldn't continue if they went half way in the design. &lt;insert rant about open mindedness, risktaking , etc.&gt; To slap a flat panel on the front of a gundrop (granted, it's a great design as well but...) would never do them justice. Besides, you can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time...

Personally, I want one, if I can figure out how to keep my two year old from destroying it.

tsukurite
  • Reply 83 of 129
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    This is an extreamly functional design. Once you use a monitor on a telescoping arm it is hard to go back. the only question is expandibility.

I expect that the pro line will be all G4's with the high end being a quad.
  • Reply 84 of 129
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    I vaguely recall a mock up drawing from last summer that was VERY similar to this.

I cannot remember if it was here or on Macnn.

Any clues how to find this image?
  • Reply 85 of 129
    mortemorte Posts: 20member
    Utterly amazing. The artistic metaphors are infinite, but there is one practical thing about this wonderful computer that I adore. It solves a problem that computers have always had: monitor positioning.

I want one.

And I get the wacky feeling that it's not going to be all that we see today.
  • Reply 86 of 129
    pixelpixel Posts: 4member
    I wrote about liking it in another thread.

I was wrong.

I love it.

The design is odd enough to strike some as ugly, retro enough to invoke Jetsons comments, unexpected enough to surprise, and simple enough to make me wonder why I had not thought of it as a possibility before.

I look forward to laughing at the cheap plastic and shoddy construction certain PC makers will role out in the future to try and match the form. They wil lfail to capture the elegance that is becoming the new apple paradigm.

Apple has hit home runs with the design aesthetic of the cube, the Yosemite case, the TiBook, the ibook and the pod- this one is a bit more quirky, but once people swivel the screen around a few times I think many will see the functional advantages over a TAM-like design.

Adios, gumdrop.

Howdy, Luxo jr.

Lust factor==11

Way to go, Apple!
  • Reply 87 of 129
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    According to Time: G4 + DVD Burner for $1800.

That is absolutely insane. I hope they made a helluva lot of these because they are not going to be able to keep them in stock...
  • Reply 88 of 129
    al02al02 Posts: 11member
    [quote] As with all the best artistic works, it will put you off at first, and gradually take you in.

- Pook

<hr></blockquote>

yep - I've already gone on record in another thread as saying its ugly, but after seeing the 3/4 front cover image, am beginning to like it, um... alot. Can't wait to see it in the plastic.
  • Reply 89 of 129
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    I love it now too...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

-----------------------------

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 90 of 129
    I thought the new iMac had o be something completely different, just like the original was. those cinema display type mockups were nice, but done before by advent, sharp etc etc. This, however... its just brilliant. Completely new design style, looks cool and practical. imagine this sitting next to your average grey, shiny box in PC World- it looks like something else. I'm so glad they went with this design, even if it causes controversy
  • Reply 91 of 129
    Now if it only doubled as a tv... right out of the box....

that would be cool...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 91 of 129
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Again, back to bathroom design of Ives. This looks just like those mirrors used to pop zits and shave on an extending arm.
  • Reply 93 of 129
    notarnotar Posts: 23member
    cute!

just one point, there will be a built in graphic chip, no way to upgrade.

so I will have to buy a new one in 2004.

I like gaming on my mac and this one will carried around often, but two years from now ?
  • Reply 94 of 129
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Now we know why the Keynote was changed to Monday. Time arrives in subscribers mailboxes on Tuesday while in the big cities and on the web it is available on newstands late Sunday/Monday. Now the link to Time Canada goes to US site with no cover photo or article. Looks like Time Canada goofed and the article wasn't supposed to be released until 9AM Pacific Time. Steve must be absolutely pissed!

I like it. Looks like the lamp in the Pixar logo. But there is going to be something else at MWNY as well (I think),

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 95 of 129
    Actually, I've changed my mind. None of that sunflower crap. This was Apple's design vision:

SdC
  • Reply 96 of 129
    A few years ago MacWorld mag did a whole thing on Apple desing labs.

On the cover was a mock-up of a Mac that had the guts in a pod-lide thing with a flat-panel display hinged to it much like the new iMac.

Steve may claim to have told Ives to make it look like a Sunflower but I rekon they went through some old stuff and found this design and decided to try it...

Anybody still have this MacWorld? Could someone scan the cover?

Ok, Maybe it this issue:

<a href="http://www.macworld.com/1995/05/features/746.html"; target="_blank">http://www.macworld.com/1995/05/features/746.html</a>;

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: caele726 ]</p>
  • Reply 97 of 129

More themes.....

SdC

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: suckfuldotcom ]</p>
  • Reply 98 of 129
    I have heard that people who are posting pictures or even likenesses of the iMac2 from their iDisks...

that they are canceling their accounts...

lock, stock and barrel...

could this be happening...???

I have pulled my images just to be safe...

just FYI...

E PLURIBUS UNIX

• Reply 100 of 129
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    This is just one amazing piece of design. Wow. It harks back to some of the Jaguar designs done pre-Ive when IDG were searching for future concepts.

AJ