Apple's iPod shuffle now available in five colors

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced that it's most wearable digital music player is now available in five vibrant colors: blue, pink, green, orange and the original silver.

A hit with customers since its initial shipment three months ago, iPod shuffle is just half a cubic inch in volume, weighs just half an ounce and features a aluminum design with a built-in clip.

Based on Apple's shuffle feature which lets music fans enjoy a continuous mix of their favorite songs anywhere they go, iPod shuffle contains one gigabyte of flash memory, holds up to 240 songs and sells for just $79.

"iPod shuffle is the world's most wearable digital music player," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. "Music fans can now choose iPod shuffle in one of five brilliant colors, or they can buy one of each."

The miniature players features up to 12 hours of battery life and lets users shuffle their songs to listen to them in a random order or simply flip a switch to listen to their songs in order, such as when listening to a new album.

Users connect iPod shuffle to their PC or Mac with the included dock, and iTunes' innovative AutoFill feature automatically syncs the precise number of songs from their music library. Meanwhile, integration with iTunes 7 and the iTunes Store allows customers to choose from a selection of over four million songs from the world's most popular digital music store.

Pricing & Availability

The new iPod shuffle is available immediately worldwide through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers for $79 (US). iPod shuffle includes an iPod shuffle dock and earbuds.

The tiny digital music player requires a Mac with a USB 2.0 port and Mac OS X version 10.3.9 or later and iTunes 7.0.2 or later; or a Windows PC with a USB 2.0 port and Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4), Windows XP Home or Professional (Service Pack 2) and iTunes 7.0.2 or later. Internet access is required and a broadband connection is recommended.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    -df-df Posts: 136member
    Meh, more color changes. I want my 6G iPod!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday announced that it's wearable digital music player is now available in five colors: blue, pink, green, orange and the original silver.

Is the Shuffle really a hit with consumers? I've always thought it was strange that you can't see what songs are playing or select them based on any organization. Maybe it's just because I've rarely used "shuffle", ever since I bought my first Teac CD player back in 1988.

I guess the price difference makes the Shuffle appetizing for some, but if it were me, I'd save up for the Nano.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Good move by Apple. I've long thought the shuffle (even V1) should be available in colours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Based on Apple's pioneering shuffle feature

Come on guys, is it really that hard to remove insane levels of marketing hyperbole from Apple's press release before posting it as an article?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Wrong picture on the main page I think...
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Hey maybe they should sell a five pack for $350. You know there will be some who buy them all.
  • Reply 6 of 61

I was just thinking something similar... get several and color-code your collection.

- pink for love songs (happy valentine's day)

- orange for good driving songs (I am the one and only...)

- green for backyard fun songs

- blue for the blues

- silver for evening music
  • Reply 7 of 61
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Is the Shuffle really a hit with consumers? I've always thought it was strange that you can't see what songs are playing or select them based on any organization. Maybe it's just because I've rarely used "shuffle", ever since I bought my first Teac CD player back in 1988.

I guess the price difference makes the Shuffle appetizing for some, but if it were me, I'd save up for the Nano.

have a 60 g ipod in my house/car/trailer and a shuffle for work-out.. running.. it's just perfect!
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Yey! Good move Apple!

I always thought they should do it in different colours!

- especially as it's marketed as a clip-on fashion accessory

I might even buy one myself while I'm waiting for the mythical 'true video ipod'!

• Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Good move by Apple. I've long thought the shuffle (even V1) should be available in colours.

.....but that would have been a bad move for AAPL.

for one, a single modle can test the market to see what response there is (I doubt this is the case with the shuffle as Apple have a good understanding of the market they opperate in, but you know this)

and more importantly, the refresh that the colours bring stimulate the market further - it keeps the story alive and fresh. how many people will aquire additional suffles to complement their clear annodised model?

you are right though... colours are a good move for this product.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

.....but that would have been a bad move for AAPL.

for one, a single modle can test the market to see what response there is (I doubt this is the case with the shuffle as Apple have a good understanding of the market they opperate in, but you know this)

and more importantly, the refresh that the colours bring stimulate the market further - it keeps the story alive and fresh. how many people will aquire additional suffles to complement their clear annodised model?

you are right though... colours are a good move for this product.

But colors don't change the model. At best, a single color/model gives your product the ability to sit higher on the sales charts. When the mini came out, none individually went to #1 since there were several different models to cut into the sales of each (but, total-wise, it was still high).

At most, a single color reduces costs somewhat. Last thing you want is to be stuck with a bunch of tangerine, flower power, or dalmation iMacs because no one likes the color (I guess that was before Apple knew their market?).

However, bringing out colors does drive publicity. Hell, look at all the space wasted on AppleInsider on basically a one-line requirement: "Ipod shuffle now available in 5 colors". Was there really a need to go into how it connects to your computer?

And I agree with the Mr. H's comment on the 'pioneering' shuffle technology. I mean, how pioneering is it to play music in random order?
  • Reply 11 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

And I agree with the Mr. H's comment on the 'pioneering' shuffle technology. I mean, how pioneering is it to play music in random order?

It looks like Kasper's changed the original article now. He's left it as "Apple's" shuffle, despite the fact the shuffle concept was around for a long while before Apple even thought about iPods. But yes, the word "pioneering" was especially OTT.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Pure genius. Microsnot start their 500 million dollar marketing push for Vista today... for a day or two the headlines will be 'iPod Shuffles now in colours!' Its a toss up as to which is more interesting to the mass 'kid' demographic.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Are you serious?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Pure genius. Microsnot start their 500 million dollar marketing push for Vista today... for a day or two the headlines will be 'iPod Shuffles now in colours!' Its a toss up as to which is more interesting to the mass 'kid' demographic.

• Reply 14 of 61
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm digging the orange.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, if no one else has done it because they were afraid of just what you are saying, and they took the chance, then it is pioneering.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Cd players have had the shuffle feature looooong before the iPod. And no one was "WOW'ed" by this feature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, if no one else has done it because they were afraid of just what you are saying, and they took the chance, then it is pioneering.

• Reply 17 of 61
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Great! The most wearable music player ever finally got fashionable! I want a blue, green and pink one!!

It is a shame they announced the iPhone instead of introducing the widescreen iPod on MacWorld. Imagine, an iPod family like;

1- Coulourful shuffles with clip!

2- Colourfull nanos with clickwheel!

3- A black and white iPod with music to touch! (And no black chin)

It doesn't make sense to wait with the touch music interface until the iPhone is gonna be released as we Europeans will have to wait till next year :s Not mentioning Asia ?
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm digging the orange.

Me too. I really feel like buying one though I'll have absolutely no use for it.

As a side note, they seem to come with the new earphones now.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    lol

i think i was the first one to ask for colors, when appleisider first mentioned it

i even sent apple two emails requesting it lol
  • Reply 20 of 61
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Now bring 6G iPod video with different colors as well, black and white kinda of getting tired...

completely remasterd 6G iPod touch screen ....