Briefly: Vista can't thwart Mac's reign at No. 1 online retailer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft Corp's first major operating system release in over half a decade has seemingly done little to spur PC sales at the Internet's largest online retailer, where Macs continue to dominate sales charts.

Two days after the consumer release of Windows Vista, Apple's Mac line of personal computers handily maintained its lead atop Amazon.com's best selling "Computers & PC Hardware" sales chart.

In all, Macs accounted for 7 out of the top 8 sales slots on the hourly-updated rankings, including the top 5 spots. The top-selling Vista-enabled PC was a 13-inch Sony VIAO notebook, which captured the 6th spot. Vista notebook offerings from Toshiba and HP followed, filling the 9th and 10th spots, respectively.

The Mac's stamina of late is also evident in ongoing market research trends for operating system usage. According to data released Thursday by Net Applications, the percent of Internet users running Apple's Mac OS X operating system rose for the sixth consecutive month to 6.22 percent in January. The Mac's share is up nearly 2 percent since July.

At the same time, usage of Microsoft's top five flavors of Windows has declined at nearly the same rate. The Redmond-based company saw its share of the OS market wither, slightly, from just over 95 percent in August to about 93 percent in January.

Meanwhile, Vista, whose presence on the net thus far has comprised primarily of beta versions, captured a mere 0.18 percent share in January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    GO APPLE! But people don't go out and buy a new PC because a new OS is released.
  • Reply 2 of 122
    i wanna see what leopard will do to vista's market share....
  • Reply 3 of 122
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Completely baseless report....

Amazon's list means absolutely nothing because Dell and HP don't even sell new computers through amazon, and together they account for nearly 60% of all pc's sold.

Macs have been at the top of Amazons "top 10 list" for the past three years and quite frankly, it hasn't proved anything other than the fact that most people don't buy PC's from amazon.com.
  • Reply 4 of 122
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

GO APPLE! But people don't go out and buy a new PC because a new OS is released.

People who have older PC's and want Vista will have to get a new computer in order to be able to use all the "new" features.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Completely baseless report....

Amazon's list means absolutely nothing because Dell and HP don't even sell new computers through amazon, and together they account for nearly 60% of all pc's sold.

You'd think the other 40% of the PC market would still eclipse Mac sales on Amazon, though. Suprisingly, it doesn't. \

In any case, I don't think this is anything other than confirmation of what we already know- Vista isn't something that's got PC users stampeding to their nearest electronics store... in other words, Yawnsville '07.

Those Win95 'hyperventilating with excitement' days seem so far away.

• Reply 6 of 122
    1. like it has been mentioned, dell and hp are not on amazon.

2. this is under the computer hardware category, am i wrong? why would vista just magically appear under computer hardware? it'd be under software

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...052899-3801418

vista is among the top selling software along with tax software (as expected this time of year)

not saying I like microsoft or windows vista, but this kind of idiotic logic makes mac users look bad.
  • Reply 7 of 122
    While I am all in favor of showing off Apple in the lead in sales, I do not think hardware is the category to look in if we are judging the acceptance of Vista. The Software section is a better location and its top sellers:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...318031-8656762

I should note that as of this post the highest ranking there in still only 4th.

Either way though if it was as good as they say it should be in all 12 of the top spots
  • Reply 8 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

Amazon's list means absolutely nothing because Dell and HP don't even sell new computers through amazon

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun

1. like it has been mentioned, dell and hp are not on amazon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Vista notebook offerings from Toshiba and HP followed, filling the 9th and 10th spots, respectively.

How could two people have missed the fact that HP is explicitly mentioned in the article as being included in Amazon's list?
  • Reply 9 of 122

What folks see it at as, and hence the problem.

• Reply 10 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

You'd think the other 40% of the PC market would still eclipse Mac sales on Amazon, though. Suprisingly, it doesn't. \

No, it's not surprising for several reasons.

1. The other 40% of the market is a large mix of at least a dozen of other computer manufacturers, many of which do not sell through amazon.

2. The largest chunk of PC sales come from business and education buyers who buy in bulk discounts directly from the manufacturer, not amazon.

3. Vista is software, not hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    delete
  • Reply 12 of 122
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    Vista will still trump Macs overall market share in less than half a year, probably even sooner.

I love my OS X, but come on people Windows will always remain #1. Stop being to naive expecting drastic role reversals.
  • Reply 13 of 122
    Did you know they had a "Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate UPGRADE Limited Numbered Signature Edition"???

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...TF8&s=software

Product features: signed by Bill Gates himself...

I would have prefered an original video of Steve Ballmer's Best Performances...

Seriously, I would die for an iPhone with Steve Job's signature on it...
  • Reply 14 of 122
    um, bit soon to say its done nothing, especially as its only been out for 2 days...

whereas if it were leopard...
  • Reply 15 of 122
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 16 of 122
    ericblrericblr Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IVK View Post

Vista will still trump Macs overall market share in less than half a year, probably even sooner.

I love my OS X, but come on people Windows will always remain #1. Stop being to naive expecting drastic role reversals.

I dont think anyone with half a mind expects a role reversal. However, what I and many others are hoping for is enough gain in Apple's marketshare to garner additional developers for the Mac OS X, and help close the gap between Mac and Windows as far as software availability is concerned.

That would be a major victory, and one which could be achieved at a mere 15-20%, which I think is a goal very reasonable and attainable by Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

No, it's not surprising for several reasons.

1. The other 40% of the market is a large mix of at least a dozen of other computer manufacturers, many of which do not sell through amazon.

2. The largest chunk of PC sales come from business and education buyers who buy in bulk discounts directly from the manufacturer, not amazon.

3. Vista is software, not hardware.

Actually, it IS suprising, because on closer inspection, Amazon sells HP, who has HUGE worldwide and US marketshare, AND Sony and Toshiba, both of whom are good-sized PC makers. Check out this new HP Pavillion for sale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-DV205...6?ie=UTF8&s=pc

HP alone has several times the marketshare of Apple, and yes, a significant number of those are consumers. It is odd that Apple outsells them on Amazon, but outsell them they do.

• Reply 18 of 122
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

In any case, I don't think this is anything other than confirmation of what we already know- Vista isn't something that's got PC users stampeding to their nearest electronics store... in other words, Yawnsville '07.

Those Win95 'hyperventilating with excitement' days seem so far away.

It depends on what percentage of the overall computer sales from the manufacturers that are sold on Amazom, Amazon sells.

First, Amazon doesn't sell all of the 45% of the industry sales that are left after Dell and Hp are subtracted, though Hp has a few models there. It's likely that they only sell a few manufacturers' products. Fully 27% of all computers sold in the US are from "other" manufacturers most of which Amazon doesn't sell. The ones they do, sell only in very small numbers.

The sales charts by percentage are here:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/11334/

Amazon may very likely appeal to a different audience from the average buying public.

That skews the results.
  • Reply 19 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

I dont think anyone with half a mind expects a role reversal. However, what I and many others are hoping for is enough gain in Apple's marketshare to garner additional developers for the Mac OS X, and help close the gap between Mac and Windows as far as software availability is concerned.

That would be a major victory, and one which could be achieved at a mere 15-20%, which I think is a goal very reasonable and attainable by Apple.

Yup. And Microsoft, being as hyper-competitive/paranoid as they are, would be VERY VERY unhappy if Apple got to double-digits in marketshare. \

• Reply 20 of 122
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think some of you guys miss the point. The article is not saying OS X is over taking Vista over all.

Only siting specifically Amazon. With Amazon being the number 1 online retailer. If there was a great deal of pent up demand for Vista from large numbers of people. With Windows holding 90% of the OS market there should be no way Apple products would occupy the top 7 positions.