So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 201
    Hello Everyone,

I too am holding out for a hardware update along with Leopard. Mr. Ive - I'd like to see a larger hard drive operating at 7200 RPM preferably 200 GB. 4 GB of RAM please. An option for a 512MB graphics card would be nice as well. On the 17" it would be nice if space permits to incorporate a num keypad to the right just like most keyboards. Even if it was a little thicker it sure would be nice to have a laptop that has more options like the Mac Pro. I also want the blu-ray burner.

I'm looking forward to coming back. I bought a G3 tower and laptop in 1998-99. I really was unhappy with the laptop as my tower performed far better and the specs were identical. Everyone around me was on PC's running windows and I decided to give it a try so I bought a Dell tower and laptop in 2002-03. I have been quite happy with them but there is something that eats at me to give Apple a go again. When comparing the options of the MacBook Pro with Dell's XPS - Apple really doesn't have very many options. I really would like to see more.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  • Reply 82 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Actually, the stock I sold was from a large semiconductor company based in Texas.

I wish I had bought Apple stock back when Apple bought NeXT and got Steve Jobs back at the helm. I think it was around $3.00 back then. (Place an Icon of me kicking myself in the rear end..)

- Mark

Mark,

I kicked my self when I saw Apple up so high. I did have Apple stock which I bought 1500 shares at $7.15/share. I didn't have the money to be playing with at the time and when the stock went lower and lower - I couldn't wait until it came back and I sold only to break pretty much even. Just think - my house could have been paid for.
  • Reply 83 of 201
    xaoxao Posts: 30member
    I am dying to upgrade....

I currently have a PM 2 x 2.0 G5, 2 Mac Mini's (1.42 & 1.25), and two G4 PM's.

I have been holding off for Leapord before upgrading to the Intel platform. I was a PC guy running UNIX for the most part before I found love with OS X a couple of years ago. I thought back then there was NO WAY Apple was going to put Intel chips in their systems. My friends laughed their assess off at me because like three months after I bought all the Power systems they swithced.

Anyways, I maxed them out, my PM has 4GB of RAM, so I wasn't going to switch anytime soon at that point. I have completly fell in love with Mac at this point, now I am wanting to replace my work Dell laptop with a new MBP, but I'm waiting on a couple of things before I do...

First thing, I am not getting one until I can get Leapord on it pre-installed, no big deal as I will buy Leapord for the rest of the Macs, but I'm weird that way.

Secondly, I want a MPB that can address a full 4GB of RAM. It seems kind of crazy to me that you have to waist a full GB of memory if you fully pop it out. It would be different if they sold 1.5GB DIMMS, but alas, they don't.

Those are the only two requirements that I have, but a svelte mini version would be great, 15" is just a little larger that what I would want for a laptop, I have two 20" widescreen monitors for when I'm at home, when I'm on the road, I just like portability. Minor quip, I'll *SETTLE* for a 15" in dire straights.

Ohhh, only to make things worse, I have the money sitting in the bank drawing interest for a fully popp'd MBP when they do this.

I see that Apple's sales were up 100% this January vs. last January, I think their sales are going to skyrocket once Leopard is released and maybe one more hardware refresh, because I think there are millions of upgraders like me just sitting out here lurking....

See you all on the other side!
  • Reply 84 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xao View Post

I am dying to upgrade....

...Ohhh, only to make things worse, I have the money sitting in the bank drawing interest for a fully popp'd MBP when they do this.

I see that Apple's sales were up 100% this January vs. last January, I think their sales are going to skyrocket once Leopard is released and maybe one more hardware refresh, because I think there are millions of upgraders like me just sitting out here lurking....

See you all on the other side!

well judging from all the comments on this thread there are certainly a fair number of people ready to part with some cash

i hope Apple is listening
  • Reply 85 of 201
    The lack of an interim update of the Mini ? basically a processor change ? seems odd to me. I don;t want to have to wait for summer and Santa Rosa, which will admittedly be a damn quick, powerful little machine.

I literally have the cash in hand, but am waiting, because I don't want to spend more money for product that will be obsolete (hint, I own a PM G5 2.0 dual).
  • Reply 86 of 201
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Add another 2 new Mac Pro's to the waiting list! Top end processors with min RAM (I'll not be buying 8 gigs of RAM from Apple!)

Hurry, hurry, hurry!
  • Reply 87 of 201
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Add another 2 new Mac Pro's to the waiting list! Top end processors with min RAM (I'll not be buying 8 gigs of RAM from Apple!)

Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Let's hope that the "new" (whatever that turns out to be) Mac Pro's will have 2 X 1GB standard memory, as does 2 out of the 3 MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 88 of 201
    I am currently a pc user. And am ready to make the switch. I am just waiting for the rumored up and coming new Mac Pro's.
  • Reply 89 of 201
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    With the announcement today that Adobe CS3 is coming out on March 27, there will be even more users chomping at the bit for upgraded Macs. I doubt Apple is holding anything back waiting for CS3 but they'll certainly have some incentive to hurry up with upgrades now.

Personally, I'm ready to buy a mini, having decided to get that rather than AppleTV. All it's going to take is something; anything in the way of a mini upgrade and I'll push the buy button. This could mean existing minis with Leopard installed, Core 2 Duo without Leopard, a hard drive/memory bump, or even just a coupon for a free Leopard upgrade. Throw me a bone, Apple!

edit: Correction, Adobe will only officially ANNOUNCE CS3 on the 27th. Release will be later.
  • Reply 90 of 201
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    CS3 won't be shipping March 27. It'll be out sometime this spring. The stuff Apple will announce on April 15 will need the new MPs so they might be shown then and ship later.
  • Reply 91 of 201
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    So, CS3 will be officially announced on March 27 and available at a "later date." Don't we already know it's coming? What's the purpose of having a big shindig to announce an unavailable product? Oh, kinda like the iPhone and AppleTV announcement, eh.
  • Reply 92 of 201
    nicnacnicnac Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

An iMac with a screen no one needs? Well, wouldn't that be the seventeen-inch model? I find the twenty-four-inch model positively wonderful.

No, no, you misunderstood what I said. When I said that, I mean that a lot of people don't want a screen whatsoever. Our choices are weakling mini, iMac with a screen we don't want (because we already have a big flat panel), and the 'overpriced' macpro.

This is what many people have been saying on this forum in recent months.
  • Reply 93 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

This is what many people have been saying on this forum in recent months.

its longer than that mate

ive just hooked my mini up to me TV with HDMI, so its already GOT its new job title... that and this talk of new iMacs is burning an even bigger hole in my pocket... dear lord alSTEVE PLEASE drop unto us an iMac that we the humble might be distracted from our cash, yeah let it be so.
  • Reply 94 of 201
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

So, CS3 will be officially announced on March 27 and available at a "later date." Don't we already know it's coming? What's the purpose of having a big shindig to announce an unavailable product? Oh, kinda like the iPhone and AppleTV announcement, eh.

We know it's coming, but we have no clue (aside from Photoshop) what the actual features are.

I'm personally interested in what they're doing with InDesign and what direction, if any, they plan to go with GoLive.
  • Reply 95 of 201
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    I've got the jones for the 20" iMac, with a few enhancements, of course, but with all the talk of a new upgrade, I'll be waiting.
  • Reply 96 of 201
    I'm holding out for a more expensive Mac with fewer features.....(thought I'd break the trend).

Holding out for a new MacPro w/24" monitor OR, if the new iMac if it is really elegant and eye-catching.

I am not sure if I'll load the purchase with Adobe's Light Room or Apple's Aperture, but it'll be one of the two.

(I'm still chugging along with Photoshop on my DP800 Quicksilver PowerMac with a screamin' 133mhz system bus and a whoppin' 1.5 GB of RAM....)
  • Reply 97 of 201
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I wish I could remember were I read it, but Adobe was quoted as saying they would be dropping GoLive in favor of Dreamweaver ? something I'm not happy about. But even more unhappy with the fact that Freehand is dead (as far as updates go )

Skip

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

We know it's coming, but we have no clue (aside from Photoshop) what the actual features are.

I'm personally interested in what they're doing with InDesign and what direction, if any, they plan to go with GoLive.

• Reply 98 of 201
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    I was just on the Sony site and they have a new 17" laptop (AR390E) with a built in Blu-Ray disc and NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 GT with 527MB Video RAM. Retails for $3299.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/20IN...b&Dept=tvvideo

Here is an excerpt of the unit's description:

"High definition meets high performance in the VAIO® VGN-AR390E notebook. With the ability to handle Blu-ray Disc® media, it unlocks the keys to multimedia nirvana. Watch, burn and edit true 1080i HD video content and burn 25 times more data than on regular DVD media. It features a gorgeous cutting-edge design and widescreen workspace that are matched by a suite of multimedia features that you?d typically find in a movie studio, like HDMI? output and NTSC and ATSC TV tuners that let you watch and record TV. Whether you?re working or playing, the blazing fast Intel® Core? 2 Duo processor enables high-speed editing and rendering. Then screen it Hollywood-style on a stunning 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) widescreen display5. And your lifestyle is as editable as your videos, thanks to the built-in 802.11 a/b/g wireless LAN4 technology. Windows Vista? Home Premium Edition included."

Is it a pipe dream to think that Apple will follow suit in any of their new laptops?
  • Reply 99 of 201
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Maybe, but I don't think so. That sony is in the desktop replacement category, It's 3/10s of an inche thicker and a pound and half heavier than the 17" Macbook Pro and for what it does it's actually pretty small. The Macbook Pros are highend thin and lights. They give up some goodies for portability. Apple could do the blu-ray, but the dual hard drives and the digital TV tuner wouldn't fit.
  • Reply 100 of 201
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Ben,

What are the chances IYO of Apple just adding blu-ray capability to 17" MacBook Pros?